Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
criticalmass

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 pm

sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm
Hi,

We live in NewYork City, It cold for around 5+ months, we are stuck at house for most of the time. So thought of moving to Sunnyvale CA where our team has a branch office. That place is warm for most of the year. Kid can run around the parks, climb small hills, etc. Essentially we can do all the summer stuff of NewYork all through the year there. I pretty much doubt we will miss any winter sports, as we barely do those.
We have a 3 year old kid. Keeping him indoors during winters all day is kind of tough. only places to go are also indoors like malls, shopping complexes, restaurants, museums, Broadway Shows, etc. Most indoor places are germ incubators in winter here.

So, What would to think of moving to a warmer place, is it a better lifestyle choice ? or just my imagination that life in Sunnyvale would be better ?

Thank in advance for taking time to read this.
P.S.
Sunnyvale is a glorified office park with ultra expensive housing in and around, since it is in silicon valley/peninsula. NYC has expensive housing too, so this could balance out. Cali taxes are even higher than NYC, which hardly seems possible while still in NYC.

The bigger question is why do you want to keep a kid inside all day as they grow up past 3? If NYC is too cold in winter, California might be too hot in summer. Growing up in cold winters well north of NYC, we were almost every day all winter long, enjoying those crisp blue sky days or when we were lucky, snow. There are tons of outdoors things to do if you venture well beyond Sunnyvale, as there are beyond NYC.
Last edited by criticalmass on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackoC

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by JackoC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 am

fizxman wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am
quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm
By pretty much any standard, the weather in Sunnyvale is better than the weather in NYC pretty much all year, and yes, people do stuff outside.
I always found it strange when people say the weather in Place A is better than Place B since it's really all a matter of opinion. I mean it's hot and humid in India but over a billion people live there, just as there are people living in Siberia.
True, but even making it a less exotic location for an American (with no family connection there) to move to than India or Siberia, look at places like Minnesota. My daughter lived there awhile, rural west-central MN. A nice place in many ways. But the winter is a serious obstacle for an outsider to get used to (that's even being from NY area as she is). And the isolation. The fact that a self selected group of native MN'ers grow up there and want to stay there isn't directly relevant to getting used to it as outsider.

Even as NY'er and as I said no way would I transplant permanently to CA having lived in LA a couple of years (though I did not dislike it for those couple of years), I believe NY presents a weather obstacle to newcomers from better weather places. Even if NoCal or SoCal weather isn't perfect, you have to be pretty picky I think to actively dislike the weather in either compared to NY. But moving there just for weather, well I doubt the wisdom of that also.

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm

I do agree with the general sentiment that it is wishful thinking to believe that a move will solve a lifestyle issue." When I lived in Pittsburgh I saw kids playing outside all year round (maybe not on the one day a year it was 10-18F), and here in California I see the same. Denver is one of the most outdoorsy cities in the country and they have 4 seasons. The weather in the South Bay Area is best described as "boring" but for a family looking for an excuse to be sedentary, there will always be an excuse. Here it is easy to say "the streets aren't safe to play in and the traffic to get to the mountains is too bad" or "it's too windy" or "it's too hot, my kids will get a sunburn."

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:41 pm

muddgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm
I do agree with the general sentiment that it is wishful thinking to believe that a move will solve a lifestyle issue." When I lived in Pittsburgh I saw kids playing outside all year round (maybe not on the one day a year it was 10-18F), and here in California I see the same. Denver is one of the most outdoorsy cities in the country and they have 4 seasons. The weather in the South Bay Area is best described as "boring" but for a family looking for an excuse to be sedentary, there will always be an excuse. Here it is easy to say "the streets aren't safe to play in and the traffic to get to the mountains is too bad" or "it's too windy" or "it's too hot, my kids will get a sunburn."
Thank you for putting this in my perspective. I would probably be one who would fall in that category. I always use the excuse of cold to stay indoors. I will try in NYC for few months without saying that excuse.
Thanks for suggesting about heritage district, that looks like a decent walkable location.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 am

Sunnyvale has great mild weather (close to ocean so usually not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter). Nice parks. Good bike lanes. Decent schools. I saw a couple snowflakes here once in 1997. Good food. But no “open spaces” (other than parks) left without a drive.

Houses are $1000+ per square foot. Traffic is bad so commuting to get the house price down doesn’t help much (Fremont to Sunnyvale commute is awful). Commuter buses can help if you can work on the bus.

Simply put, there are more jobs here than places to live, so housing prices are the #1 problem.

segfault

Post by segfault » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:37 pm

I don’t have kids, so not super qualified to comment, but what about training the kid to be resilient and endure the cold during the unfavorable months?

nvambith

Post by nvambith » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 pm

People mostly said everything, but I'll add my comments in case it helps.

Weather, while nicer than NYC in the winter, should not be considered wonderful. It's never genuinely hot or cold, which sounds nice, but really means that you cannot really be too far from a jacket even in summer (in the evenings), and don't really get a exciting winter experience either. Everyone feels differently about weather. It is also significantly drier, which I generally find a bit unpleasant.

While the numbers make the place look diverse, it is very immigrant heavy, and not genuinely integrated. Everyone ends up living in a small cultural bubble based on their background. i.e. Indians hanging out with Indians, similarly for Chinese, Korean, Europeans, etc, possibly much more specific than that. On the flip side, the large number of immigrants make the ethnic food genuinely diverse and not Americanized.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 am

dbr wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 am
I know people for whom the daily weather is a dominant concern in their lives. It is not a formula for having a happy day every day. On the other hand they say weather is the thing everyone talks about but no one does anything about.

The dilemma is that there is almost nowhere that the weather is both so perfect and so unvarying that a person can move there for that reason alone. Besides that the situation eventually becomes so boring people go insane.

All that said, if it is important to a person, then by all means move if you can.
Two homes, my friend, two homes.

Or even better, one home for 8 months, then rent somewhere warm/cool for the other 4 months. Every year try some place new.

Of course, this only works if you're retired or can work from home. :)
The J stands for Jay

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks very much for all your responses. I got the feel of how Sunnyvale is going to be. Moving just for the weather and loosing on other pros of NYC didn’t seem wise at the moment. So I will put this thought on hold for 2 years and revisit later.

Thanks again.

John88

Post by John88 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:08 pm

OP if you are still here, if you can manage the housing costs I’d say go for it. Daytime temps have been in the mid 60s with mid 40s at night. We avg around 15 inches of rain in a 4-5 month period of time. We have a Mediterranean climate (google it) which is only found in a handful of places around the world. You can be in the mountains skiing in about 2.5 to 3 hours or splashing in the ocean in less than an hour. There are many places to hike in our foothills. We like to hike and have not been to half the hiking trails despite being here 40 +years. If you include the Santa Cruz Mountains there are 3-4 state parks with miles of hiking or mountain biking. Outdoor activities are year round here. Yesterday afternoon was jogging in a t shirt and shorts.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Apart from those who moved because of job opportunities, I noticed something of a trend. Those who think the weather is the most important, prefer California. Those who think anything else is more important prefer the Northeast. With age, I find weather to be increasing important.

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm
There are other places to live near Sunnyvale. Portola Valley, CA is nice.
And expensive too.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding