Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sharukh

Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi,

We live in NewYork City, It cold for around 5+ months, we are stuck at house for most of the time. So thought of moving to Sunnyvale CA where our team has a branch office. That place is warm for most of the year. Kid can run around the parks, climb small hills, etc. Essentially we can do all the summer stuff of NewYork all through the year there. I pretty much doubt we will miss any winter sports, as we barely do those.
We have a 3 year old kid. Keeping him indoors during winters all day is kind of tough. only places to go are also indoors like malls, shopping complexes, restaurants, museums, Broadway Shows, etc. Most indoor places are germ incubators in winter here.

So, What would to think of moving to a warmer place, is it a better lifestyle choice ? or just my imagination that life in Sunnyvale would be better ?

Thank in advance for taking time to read this.
P.S.

Month--------------NewYork------------Sunnyvale
Dec to Feb----------Cold-----------------warm
Arpil--------------Beautiful Spring-----------No Idea
July to August---Too hot and Humid, sweaty----- Warm
Sep to oct---------Beautiful colorful fall------------ No idea
Last edited by sharukh on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYork to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by 123 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Sunnyvale can be hot June - Early October as well as just about anytime, it depends. Summer days 90+ up to 105 or so, but it's usually a dry heat.

The ground shakes in Sunnyvale every once in awhile.

Housing prices are high in Sunnyvale, as well as rents. Check things out on zillow.com

Sunnyvale has very limited public transit, everyone has a car. There is a lot of traffic congestion. But concrete and asphalt can be beautiful in their own ways.

Changes in season are generally not that noticeable, depends on what trees were planted where.

No snow, have to water grass/plants year round.

Sunnyvale is trendy, of course Silicon Valley is mostly tech.
Last edited by 123 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

livesoft

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYork to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Winter sports are nearby Sunnyvale anyways.

New York could mean Rochester or NYC or Binghamton or Orient Point or ....
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:35 pm

I lived in Sunnyvale. The weather is great. However you won't find "small hills" for your kids to play on. And the nearest outdoor lifestyle to Sunnyvale is over the hill to Santa Cruz. Not an easy drive either. Besides the great weather ( a big deal to me) you can expect terrible traffic and absurd housing costs. Google 1264 Pecos way. Not a good area. Sunnyvale, it's flat, crowded ,congested and expensive.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi,

I updated the title, We live in NewYork City. Thanks.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 pm

For climate alone, definitely. But can you afford it? Sperling says you need to earn $187,500 to equal the same COL that you get in NYC on $100k. I strongly recommend taking your next vacation and spend a week getting to know the community, housing prices, traffic, etc. My son is graduating with a CS degree in May and I have suggested that he focus his job search in Sacramento rather than the Bay Area.

livesoft

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm

There are other places to live near Sunnyvale. Portola Valley, CA is nice.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

quantAndHold

Re: Is it wise to move from NewYorkCity to Sunnyvale CA, Lifestyle choice to be more outdoorsy - warm weather

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm

It sounds like someone has been trapped indoors with the kids for too long.

By pretty much any standard, the weather in Sunnyvale is better than the weather in NYC pretty much all year, and yes, people do stuff outside. Make sure, though, that you’re not giving up the things you like about NYC. Only you can decide what’s really important to you. The South Bay culture is very car centric, and people tend to be very focused on work.

Can you get your company to send you out on a trip for a week or two, and spend some time looking at the place with the eye of someone who’s considering moving there?

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm
It looks interesting place, turns out the lowest house to rent costs $8.5K Way too expensive.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/P ... _mmm/1_fr/

I thought of picking Fremont as a possible place to rent a house. Relatively inexpensive in that locality.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm
Can you get your company to send you out on a trip for a week or two, and spend some time looking at the place with the eye of someone who’s considering moving there?
I guess so, will give a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Re:Livesoft. Sure Portola Valley is nice. So is Atherton or Woodside. What does Portola Valley have to do with Sunnyvale? Well both are in the Bay area.lol.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 pm

ClaycordJCA wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 pm
For climate alone, definitely. But can you afford it? Sperling says you need to earn $187,500 to equal the same COL that you get in NYC on $100k. I strongly recommend taking your next vacation and spend a week getting to know the community, housing prices, traffic, etc. My son is graduating with a CS degree in May and I have suggested that he focus his job search in Sacramento rather than the Bay Area.
Thanks for the pointer to Sperling. Turns out Numebo suggests other-way round.
Sure, will give a try for a week to get to know the place. Thanks for sharing about your suggestion that you gave to your son.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:01 pm

The climate in Sunnyvale is cool to semi cold and wet during the winter from December to February. IT IS NOT WARM. Spring is February to May. Temps are cool and nice. Summers are great and warm but it does get hot for a few weeks spread over the whole summer. Fall is also nice. See graph below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunnyva ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... jiBqG0AkcI

Yes the weather in Sunnyvale is lot nicer than New York. You can stay outside and play all year round and walk and see stuff. But no one walks anywhere in the south bay area. There are no subways. It is total car culture. San Francisco proper is a total different city many miles north of Sunnyvale. It has street cars and Bart trains and people walk. The weather in SF is also colder than Sunnyvale year round. You always need a light jacket in the evening in SF.

You can live outside in both places and enjoy the weather. But beware what you wish for. It is a VHCOL.

Good Luck.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:02 pm

satoriboat wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:35 pm
I lived in Sunnyvale. The weather is great. However you won't find "small hills" for your kids to play on. And the nearest outdoor lifestyle to Sunnyvale is over the hill to Santa Cruz. Not an easy drive either. Besides the great weather ( a big deal to me) you can expect terrible traffic and absurd housing costs. Google 1264 Pecos way. Not a good area. Sunnyvale, it's flat, crowded ,congested and expensive.
Thanks for sharing insightful specifics about Sunnyvale. I thought of picking Fremont as a possible place to rent a house. Relatively inexpensive in that locality.
Yeah, one should get used to terrible traffic, NYC has very good public transport system.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 pm
The ground shakes in Sunnyvale every once in awhile.
Housing prices are high in Sunnyvale, as well as rents. Check things out on zillow.com
Thanks for telling about Sunnyvale. I thought of picking Fremont as a possible place to rent a house. Relatively inexpensive in that locality.
Regarding Ground shaking?, Should one look for house built to withstand these things when looking for rent?

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Funny. I am agonizing about a job transfer away from NYC. Love it here, despite the cold weather (and catching colds). Many don’t agree with me, so what do I know.

But my kids got a great education here, K-college, we have great beaches (Long Island), entertainment (Broadway, sports, museums), and public transit (which I take almost daily).

And as my kids near college graduation, a son was asked by google, NYC or CA for an internship. I warned him that 1) NYC may be expensive but CA coast is worse and 2) Parents wont be following you there :-). I have been to SF, LA and SD a few times and do love the weather, but weather is not everything and NYC weather isn’t that bad.

The grass is always greener. NYers dream of nice weather, but transplanted NYers dream of many things they miss in NY.

My only reason I am even considering leaving is for a job, and even then, I might just look for another instead.
Last edited by beyou on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:27 pm

I’ve made nearly this exact move.

Pros: Fantastic weather, lots of open spaces to hike around just a 10 min drive away
Cons: Boring, car-dependent, did I mention boring? (Beyou is right about the beaches &entertainment. Also add restaurants to that list.
Similarities: housing prices (Inventory is super low in winter. Many friends rent houses for around 5k), the “right” schools/childcare/etc

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Fremont to Sunnyvale may look close, but that is not an easy commute. Check google maps for actual commute times during rush hour. Probably an hour plus.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Be sure to look at the tax impact, it would be good to do some a dummy tax return since some of the things may not be obvious.

It has been a long time but I lived in Sunnyvale back in the in the 1980's but some things may be the same.

1) Most of the South Bay is suburban sprawl with a limited number of redeeming qualities except that some people can make boatloads of money there. For all of the negatives NYC does have a lot of positives. It is true that from Sunnyvale with a few hours drive you can be in the mountains, at the beach, or in interesting parts of downtown San Francisco but most of the South Bay itself has roughly the same appeal as a Costco parking lot.

2) Your kid is only three now but he or she will grow up quickly and they may not be able to afford to live anywhere near you then if you are still in Sunnyvale then. I was just out of college but even back then I saw some of my older coworkers who had kids that were well into their 20's that were still living with them and that was not always a good situation. The problem was that the kids did not have high paying jobs and could not afford an apartment even with several roommates. NYC is far from cheap but my impression is that an hour outside of NYC there are more affordable(but still expensive) options where struggling young people can live. An hour from Sunnyvale you are still in the South Bay. Not all kids will go to college right away and I have number of friends that had kids that needed some extra TLC to launch.
sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm
So, What would to think of moving to a warmer place, is it a better lifestyle choice ?

For many people it is.
sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm
or just my imagination that life in Sunnyvale would be better ?
Yep.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 pm

JFKtoSFO wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:27 pm
the “right” schools/childcare/etc
What do you mean by that ?
P.S. Your username says a lot about your move :)

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 pm

I moved from the N.E. to Silicon Valley. I will echo many of these comments.

Pros
Job opportunities
Lots of smart people
Lots of diversity
Weather
If you can afford to buy a house, you’ll make money on it
So many diversions (Tahoe, Napa, Monterrey, etc.)

Cons
Traffic
Congestion
Lots of diversity
Cost of everything
Iffy public schools in many cities
Long commute times
Lack of true seasons

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 pm

I think in general it is wise to experience living in a range of locations and lifestyles. Otherwise you will never know and the perspective is enriching. That said Sunnyvale CA is not a place that would be very appealing to me. At the same time I would never consider living permanently in New York City. Is there another option?

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Weather: It's temperate, but can get warm in the summer - if you are in an apartment without air conditioning you will wish you had it.

Seasons: Summer is the dry season, winter the wet season (if California is not in a drought). You do see differences in vegetation - trees can change color, shed leaves, new buds in spring. But if you are used to 4 seasons, you will now feel like you have 2. Warm and dry, cooler and wetter.

Outdoors activities: The Sunnyvale side of the baylands has some nice walking/bicycling paths that are popular with families with kids. Not sure about Fremont. Otherwise, I would say parks are iffy in both - maybe some small neighborhood parks, larger parks not necessarily safe. Both cities are not really cities - as someone said above, more suburban wasteland - houses, apartments, strip malls, shopping centers. No interesting old architecture like in the east coast cities. And flat. How are you on driving? You are close to other beautiful places but except for the baylands trails, I don't know any open spaces within 10 minute drive of either city - I would say probably 30 minutes drive to prettier parks or 45 min to an hour drive to coast or mountains.

Earthquakes - Newer buildings are likely built to safer codes. There are things to do in an apartment to mitigate earthquake damage and injuries - such as safety latches on cabinets and earthquake straps.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 pm

lostinjersey wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 pm
Fremont to Sunnyvale may look close, but that is not an easy commute. Check google maps for actual commute times during rush hour. Probably an hour plus.
oh, yeah. The peak hours are crazy, though they are close by places. Would this still be a concern, if office run buses? one doesn't have to drive, but will lose time. Same time as a NYC subway ride, hopefully may be a better experience than a subway. Thanks for pointing this out.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm
Be sure to look at the tax impact, it would be good to do some a dummy tax return since some of the things may not be obvious.

It has been a long time but I lived in Sunnyvale back in the in the 1980's but some things may be the same.

1) Most of the South Bay is suburban sprawl with a limited number of redeeming qualities except that some people can make boatloads of money there. For all of the negatives NYC does have a lot of positives. It is true that from Sunnyvale with a few hours drive you can be in the mountains, at the beach, or in interesting parts of downtown San Francisco but most of the South Bay itself has roughly the same appeal as a Costco parking lot.

2) Your kid is only three now but he or she will grow up quickly and they may not be able to afford to live anywhere near you then if you are still in Sunnyvale then. I was just out of college but even back then I saw some of my older coworkers who had kids that were well into their 20's that were still living with them and that was not always a good situation. The problem was that the kids did not have high paying jobs and could not afford an apartment even with several roommates. NYC is far from cheap but my impression is that an hour outside of NYC there are more affordable(but still expensive) options where struggling young people can live. An hour from Sunnyvale you are still in the South Bay. Not all kids will go to college right away and I have number of friends that had kids that needed some extra TLC to launch.
Hey, that is a good idea to try a dummy tax return, will try that.
1. Funny, when you compared the place to a Costco parking lot. That puts a lot of things in perspective. Haha.
2. Thanks for sharing about a long-term implication. Yeah, an hour away from NYC are far more affordable compared to an hour away from Sunnyvale.

Thank you.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:12 pm

dbr wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 pm
I think in general it is wise to experience living in a range of locations and lifestyles. Otherwise you will never know and the perspective is enriching. That said Sunnyvale CA is not a place that would be very appealing to me. At the same time I would never consider living permanently in New York City. Is there another option?
I will explore the other options in few weeks, A college moved to boulder colorado for a year and came back to NYC.
Yes, thanks for reinforcing that I should add more options to the menu.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Pros
Job opportunities
Lots of smart people
Lots of diversity
Weather

Cons
Traffic
Congestion
Lots of diversity
Cost of everything
Long commute times
Lack of true seasons
hmm.. "Iffy public schools in many cities" could be a red-hearing. In general NYC and NJ has good public schools.
Thanks for listing out pros and cons.

Topic Author
sharukh

Post by sharukh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 pm

sbaywriter wrote:
Weather: It's temperate, but can get warm in the summer - if you are in an apartment without air conditioning you will wish you had it.

Seasons: Summer is the dry season, winter the wet season (if California is not in a drought). You do see differences in vegetation - trees can change color, shed leaves, new buds in spring. But if you are used to 4 seasons, you will now feel like you have 2. Warm and dry, cooler and wetter.

Outdoors activities: The Sunnyvale side of the baylands has some nice walking/bicycling paths that are popular with families with kids. Not sure about Fremont. Otherwise, I would say parks are iffy in both - maybe some small neighborhood parks, larger parks not necessarily safe. Both cities are not really cities - as someone said above, more suburban wasteland - houses, apartments, strip malls, shopping centers. No interesting old architecture like in the east coast cities. And flat. How are you on driving? You are close to other beautiful places but except for the baylands trails, I don't know any open spaces within 10 minute drive of either city - I would say probably 30 minutes drive to prettier parks or 45 min to an hour drive to coast or mountains.

Earthquakes - Newer buildings are likely built to safer codes. There are things to do in an apartment to mitigate earthquake damage and injuries - such as safety latches on cabinets and earthquake straps.
"such as safety latches on cabinets and earthquake straps." - I wouldn't have thought about these. Very Interesting.
I see great reviews about Central park at Fremont, Can you please suggest few more prettier parks?
Thank you.

JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Check out https://www.hikingproject.com/directory ... /palo-alto for park ideas. Tons of gorgeous open spaces close by. Spouse and I sometimes leave work early or take a long lunch to hit the trails for a hour or so.

Edited to add: this does not mean that I don’t think parts of the bay look like a Costco parking lot. That is absolutely spot on. Also take my advice with a grain of salt. After 3 years living here, my spouse and I decided we missed the culture of New York (our hometown) and now split our time 70/30-ish.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:36 pm

I only worked briefly in Fremont so don't know the parks there. I lived near Shoreline Park in Mountain View (near Googleplex), has some nice areas for families I think. When I lived in Sunnyvale I used to hike Rancho San Antonio park in Los Altos - it has beautiful hiking trails (heavily used these days) but also family friendly paths to a little farm with baby animals in the spring. I know there are some other parks that are mainly for families. Try Yelp - heavily used in SF bay area so lots of reviews of parks.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 am

I moved from Long Island to Sunnyvale 14 years ago.
My move was not for the weather but mostly for professional reasons (but also ocean, mountains, outdoors etc).
The first winter had what felt like 6 months of continuous rain. It was one of the rainier years, 2 years ago was pretty much the opposite, very dry.
Now that I have a kid I find the continuous rain a (small) issue. A lot of the weekends we go skiing but not all.

I think the main issue is not really the rain but the lack of social life for kids. I would think that you have a better chance in NY, being a denser city, than in Bay area. And if it rains you do have more places to go to. If it snows is great.
Last edited by Starfish on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 am

btenny wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:01 pm
The climate in Sunnyvale is cool to semi cold and wet during the winter from December to February. IT IS NOT WARM. Spring is February to May. Temps are cool and nice. Summers are great and warm but it does get hot for a few weeks spread over the whole summer. Fall is also nice.
Someone from a place that gets a real winter would consider a Sunnyvale winter to be warm. Today in close by Los Altos, the high was apparently a cold wet dreary 64. Where I was today, the high was 58. Brrrr!

In Silicon Valley (real name Santa Clara Valley), you can fine tune for your preferred temperature range. There's a quote claimed to be from Mark Twain that the "coldest winter" he experienced was a "summer in San Francisco." Heading inland, the corner in Los Gatos will be hot. Going even further in the valley, beyond what would be considered Silicon Valley, Gilroy will be a scorcher (and garlicky.) Palo Alto has what may be considered the best temperature range - and the housing prices to match.
sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm
Regarding Ground shaking?, Should one look for house built to withstand these things when looking for rent?
When renting? Not your problem (when a big one hits.) The landlord would get deal with a damaged house. Just don't be a collector of Ming dynasty vases.
sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 pm
Would this still be a concern, if office run buses? one doesn't have to drive, but will lose time.
Office run buses are of two types: Shuttles to major transit hubs (usually to some sort of rail.) Commuter buses to specified pick up locations. You would likely have to drive to one of the pick up locations. In very urban San Francisco, employees may be able to walk. But in suburban Silicon Valley, that will be too far. The employer commuter buses don't circulate through neighborhoods.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 am

sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm
Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Pros
Job opportunities
Lots of smart people
Lots of diversity
Weather

Cons
Traffic
Congestion
Lots of diversity
Cost of everything
Long commute times
Lack of true seasons
hmm.. "Iffy public schools in many cities" could be a red-hearing. In general NYC and NJ has good public schools.
Thanks for listing out pros and cons.
In general, the main problem with Silicon Valley public schools is that they are too competitive/stressful - not really comparable to iffy urban schools. Fremont High School is the only school in the region that is at all "ghetto," but still quite a solid school. Other high schools in the Sunnyvale district like Monta Vista and Lynnbrook are pretty comparable to schools like Stuyvesant without even being magnet schools - majority Asian, average SAT scores around 1400/1600. https://www.collegesimply.com/k12/lists ... alifornia/ Somewhere like Homestead, for Western Sunnyvale, might actually be a nice compromise - academically comparable to any non-magnet NY school, but more diverse than some Silicon Valley schools (i.e. not so Asian), and more laid-back.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am

sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 pm
livesoft wrote:

Hi,
That's fine, but actually the name of the city is New York, same as the name of the state. It's not like Oklahoma City. 'City' need only be used where it's not clear which is being referred to, which might or not be the case here. But for example it's ridiculous IMO to talk about London v 'NYC' as major financial centers, it's London v New York. Likewise Bill de Blasio is mayor of New York or NY, since obviously not mayor of NY state.

Anyway, perhaps one can tell from the foregoing, I'm multi-generations from NY, or the separate city of Brooklyn if you go back a few generations. :happy To me, comparing whether I'd want to live in NY or Sunnyvale based on weather would be a very incomplete analysis. Although obviously the weather is one big difference. I lived in LA for awhile, though I realize that's also different from the Bay Area at least to CA'ans. But basically to me it was generally* good weather, and a good experience overall, but I was a cultural fish out of water and no way would I have lived there permanently, or wanted to raise kids there (ours were very little when we lived there).

*basically free of the prolonged dreariness of NY winters, but not as much better in the summer as advertised. LA has a good deal of humid heat in the summer if perhaps not quite as much as NY. Unless right on the water...but it's not as uncomfortable right on the water in NY area summers either.

book lover

Post by book lover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Keep in mind hedonic adaptation: We get used to changes for the better quickly and that becomes the new normal.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm

JackoC wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am
sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 pm
livesoft wrote:

Hi,
That's fine, but actually the name of the city is New York, same as the name of the state. It's not like Oklahoma City. 'City' need only be used where it's not clear which is being referred to, which might or not be the case here. But for example it's ridiculous IMO to talk about London v 'NYC' as major financial centers, it's London v New York. Likewise Bill de Blasio is mayor of New York or NY, since obviously not mayor of NY state.

Anyway, perhaps one can tell from the foregoing, I'm multi-generations from NY, or the separate city of Brooklyn if you go back a few generations. :happy To me, comparing whether I'd want to live in NY or Sunnyvale based on weather would be a very incomplete analysis. Although obviously the weather is one big difference. I lived in LA for awhile, though I realize that's also different from the Bay Area at least to CA'ans. But basically to me it was generally* good weather, and a good experience overall, but I was a cultural fish out of water and no way would I have lived there permanently, or wanted to raise kids there (ours were very little when we lived there).

*basically free of the prolonged dreariness of NY winters, but not as much better in the summer as advertised. LA has a good deal of humid heat in the summer if perhaps not quite as much as NY. Unless right on the water...but it's not as uncomfortable right on the water in NY area summers either.
As an immigrant I find the "cultural" issue very funny. Yes, Walmarts are very different in LA comparing to NY :D

Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm

I spent about a half hour chipping through ice on my car after the 5 degree below night (north of NYC, but not too far). Lifestyle choice. Wise???

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm
Not a bad place. Commute could be good too, as you are not fighting against the major artery traffic.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Today's weather in Sunnyvale (in January) is pretty cold. It's projected to be 45-58 degrees today.
Here is the forecast for the next 10 days.

That's too cold for me, so I shall stay in Southern California. :D

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:02 pm

Starfish wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm
JackoC wrote:
I lived in LA for awhile, though I realize that's also different from the Bay Area at least to CA'ans. But basically to me it was generally* good weather, and a good experience overall, but I was a cultural fish out of water and no way would I have lived there permanently, or wanted to raise kids there (ours were very little when we lived there).
As an immigrant I find the "cultural" issue very funny. Yes, Walmarts are very different in LA comparing to NY :D
I get that to some degree, but I don't think my point is actually as trivial, to me at least, as the Walmart comment implies. My wife is an immigrant to the US (I was born in the US though have lived in her country also) and she doesn't think NY is like LA either. Part of the difference is related to the comment somebody made above about NoCal 'among the pro's: lots of diversity, among the cons: lots of diversity'. Different diversity and the way the local society deals with it is what I'd say about that, not to sidetrack on NY v CA but I don't think it's the same, there are some divisions and tension you see in society in CA over people's different backgrounds that aren't there as much in NY IME, though NY is a very diverse place. But keep in mind it's just a NY'ers personal view, if you or anyone else doesn't agree, fine. But it's not all about diversity. 'Mainstream' native born CA'ans are different than NY'ers in ways that don't suit me as a place to live my whole life. And I'm talking about my thoughts about where I want to live. It doesn't matter too much if somebody else thinks it's funny. :happy

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 pm

JackoC wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Starfish wrote:
JackoC wrote:
I lived in LA for awhile, though I realize that's also different from the Bay Area at least to CA'ans. But basically to me it was generally* good weather, and a good experience overall, but I was a cultural fish out of water and no way would I have lived there permanently, or wanted to raise kids there (ours were very little when we lived there).
I get that to some degree, but I don't think my point is actually as trivial, to me at least, as the Walmart comment implies. My wife is an immigrant to the US (I was born in the US though have lived in her country also) and she doesn't think NY is like LA either. Part of the difference is related to the comment somebody made above about NoCal 'among the pro's: lots of diversity, among the cons: lots of diversity'. Different diversity and the way the local society deals with it is what I'd say about that, not to sidetrack on NY v CA but I don't think it's the same, there are some divisions and tension you see in society in CA over people's different backgrounds that aren't there as much in NY IME, though NY is a very diverse place. But keep in mind it's just a NY'ers personal view, if you or anyone else doesn't agree, fine. But it's not all about diversity. 'Mainstream' native born CA'ans are different than NY'ers in ways that don't suit me as a place to live my whole life. And I'm talking about my thoughts about where I want to live. It doesn't matter too much if somebody else thinks it's funny. :happy
I do agree as to the “cultural” difference. I remember visiting Long Beach CA. It was my first time on the west coast. I had just been to Toronto the week before. The thought I kept having over and over was that I needed my passport to travel to Toronto but not southern CA. And that really seemed backwards coming from the MidAtlantic states.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 pm

I do agree as to the “cultural” difference. I remember visiting Long Beach CA. It was my first time on the west coast. I had just been to Toronto the week before. The thought I kept having over and over was that I needed my passport to travel to Toronto but not southern CA. And that really seemed backwards coming from the MidAtlantic states.
I have lived in Southern California a couple of times and could agree that SC is more foreign to me than several places in the US and even Canada for sure.

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 pm

I just moved back to Sunnyvale after a decade in other states. It is NOT cold in the winter here! We have not had a single night below freezing this winter. It think there may have been one last winter. I don't believe that it typically gets as high as 105 in the summer, either. I don't know where that extreme weather data is coming from. Many people live here without A/C. Also, it is truism but the summer out here is a dry heat and it can be very cool in the shade even if it 90 degrees in the sun. Humid days are rare. And in the winter, if it is sunny it is warm out, no matter what the thermometer says.

If you live near the "heritage district"/Murphy ave. it is decently walkable. There are many restaurants as well as a target within two blocks of each other. A whole foods and a movie theater are opening in the spring. It is a 10 minute walk or short bicycle ride to the library, Safeway, Sprouts, and many parks. This area is right near the Caltrain (commute rail) line which can take you into Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Francisco or San Jose. I would say that some Californians don't find many places to be walkable because they drive distances that I would walk.

I would not commute from Fremont to Sunnyvale. That is a nasty commute that everyone is making. Better to go in the other direction if possible. No reason you have to be married to your job, once you're out here.

As for an outdoor lifestyle we are outside nearly every weekend it is not raining (Californians are like the wicked witch of the west - we melt in the rain). There is an extensive network of Open Space Preserves just 20 minutes to the east southwest of Sunnyvale with hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, or horseback riding. We also like to walk or bike by the bay - it is a short 5 mile bike ride from our house to the bay. We also golf year-round. The beaches are generally cold and so is the water.
Last edited by muddgirl on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm

muddgirl wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 pm
I just moved back to Sunnyvale after a decade in other states. It is NOT cold in the winter here! We have not had a single night below freezing this winter. It think there may have been one last winter. I don't believe that it typically gets as high as 105 in the summer, either. I don't know where that extreme weather data is coming from. Many people live here without A/C. Also, it is truism but the summer out here is a dry heat and it can be very cool in the shade even if it 90 degrees in the sun. Humid days are rare. And in the winter, if it is sunny it is warm out, no matter what the thermometer says.
I only remember having a handful of days above 90 but maybe there was a fluke day over 100 sometime in the past? Lived here eight years without an AC. Having grown up in hot NYC summers, the weather here is fantastic.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... ate/2018-7

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 pm

JackoC wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Starfish wrote:
JackoC wrote:

I was just kidding. Of course for a move like this the fundament has to be much deeper than just the weather. It is pretty obvious that first of all you have to like a place or at least find it at least bearable.
As i mentioned, I lived on Long Island and only because NY is a "real"city while bay area is just a mostly a huge nasty dead soul suburb with all the disadvantages of a city but none of the advantages would make me think twice (and I think LA is more or less similar, maybe worse in some ways).

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 pm

If you think New York City is cold for 5 months, you're going to think Sunnyvale or thereabouts is cold for a few months too.

You might be better suited for Southern California.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

eigenperson

Post by eigenperson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am

sharukh wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 pm
sbaywriter wrote:

"such as safety latches on cabinets and earthquake straps." - I wouldn't have thought about these. Very Interesting.
I see great reviews about Central park at Fremont, Can you please suggest few more prettier parks?
Thank you.
It depends if you are looking for a Central Park-like city park, or a lighly developed natural park.

For city parks, Vasona Lake county park is a pretty good, large park located in a suburban area. Further north, the Stanford campus is not a park, but it has many park-like areas and is a decent place to explore with kids -- there are many fountains and attractive landscaped areas, and a large arboretum.

For a less developed setting, there are about two dozen great parks and open space preserves in the West Bay mountains, including Big Basin state park, which has the best old-growth redwoods in the bay area. Most of these parks are lightly used. The attractions of these parks are mainly forests, mountains*, trails, and views. There's not much in the way of lakes or rivers because it's California and there is not a lot of water. There is another set of high-quality parks in the East Bay, which are much grassier and less forested. These are not very appealing to me in the summer because temperatures are high, there is no shade, and the grass isn't green. But they are nice in the winter.

*The mountains in the Bay Area are only 2-3K feet tall, with the highest point being Mount Hamilton in the east bay at about 4000 feet. If you want real mountains you will have to drive quite a bit further east to the Sierras (or north to the mostly undeveloped Mendocino National Forest).

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm
By pretty much any standard, the weather in Sunnyvale is better than the weather in NYC pretty much all year, and yes, people do stuff outside.
I always found it strange when people say the weather in Place A is better than Place B since it's really all a matter of opinion. I mean it's hot and humid in India but over a billion people live there, just as there are people living in Siberia.

Personally, I had a chance to move the Silicon Valley area but opted not to because of the weather (among other reasons). I prefer all four seasons, not just a few so having the same climate all year-round, even if it's 72 degrees and sunny, is not appealing to me. Also, there are plenty of things to do outside during the winter months, you just have to dress appropriately.

So, is it wise to move from NYC to Sunnyvale, CA because of the weather? That's impossible for anyone here to answer. I suggest going there a few times throughout the year and see what the weather is like then make a decision. Or go there during your favorite and least favorite time in NYC to see what you'd be giving up and be gaining by moving.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 am

I know people for whom the daily weather is a dominant concern in their lives. It is not a formula for having a happy day every day. On the other hand they say weather is the thing everyone talks about but no one does anything about.

The dilemma is that there is almost nowhere that the weather is both so perfect and so unvarying that a person can move there for that reason alone. Besides that the situation eventually becomes so boring people go insane.

All that said, if it is important to a person, then by all means move if you can.

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

If you are looking at renting a home in the Sunnyvale area, a few pointers :

- The rental housing stock in the South Bay is generally old and poorly maintained. There is so much demand that owners see little reason to update properties. The most they will do is fix plumbing issues etc. Apartments of course are much better maintained, if you can go that route. Townhome rentals might be a decent option. Townhomes will generally be newer than most SFH rentals.
- Renting a single family home in a neighborhood with desirable schools is a very competitive endeavour. There are many many people looking for SFH rentals in areas with good schools (specifically in Sunnyvale, that would qualify as the parts that fall under the Cupertino Union School District or the Cherry Chase area).
- You are looking at upwards of $5K/month in rental costs for a modest 1600sf home.

If you are willing to cast your net a bit wider (Santa Clara, Campbell, North San Jose) you might get a larger sampling of rentals. Although with school ratings not as high as Sunnyvale, if ratings matter for you.