Paying thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Global100

Paying thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl?

Post by Global100 »

I received a suggestion to edit the thread: For those who enjoy following NFL football, is the NFL Super Bowl ticket price worth the experience?
Last edited by Global100 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ResearchMed

Re: Paying thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl?

Post by ResearchMed »

Global100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 pm Would you (or have you ever) paid thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl game? Share your thoughts and/or experiences if "worth" it.
No.

I also wouldn't pay $1 to attend the Super Bowl (unless I could instead re-sell my ticket(s)).

DH is watching the current game.
Those lucky duck folks are sitting there in 19 degree weather, with a wind chill of ~5 degrees. Fun.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Nope. Too much for me. I can't even get myself to pay regular season ticket prices.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'd never do it, but if it makes you happy, and you can afford it, have fun!
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It's on TV for free. Why would I pay to see it?

I wouldn't go to any game, however. A good friend has Patriots season tickets. I'd much rather watch games on TV.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

If my team was in the game, and I could afford to go, yes, I would absolutely. You live once. I would rather spend the money on an experience of a lifetime than live with the regret of not going if I had the chance.

Steve
samsdad

Post by samsdad »

No. No longer interested in watching the NFL.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

No. I love sitting in my climate controlled living room with my family and delicious snacks like those party meatballs and some sort of little hot dog wrapped in bacon. Plus, I have to work the next morning. I enjoy being in bed about 2 minutes after the game ends.

I'm 33 going on 80.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Are you kidding. For that money I could get a TV that would cover the whole wall and still have thousands left over to do other things.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

stevewolfe wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 pm If my team was in the game, and I could afford to go, yes, I would absolutely. You live once. I would rather spend the money on an experience of a lifetime than live with the regret of not going if I had the chance.

Steve
/thread
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I've been to 2 Super Bowls. Enjoyed them thoroughly, BUT . . .

1) My tickets cost a couple hundred (max), not thousands.

2) This was before we all had big, beautiful, HDTVs.

3) It was a different game, with different players. I do not support the NFL anymore.
Funding secured
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

As with anything, if money were no object to me definitely. But it is and I can’t see myself spending $20k to go to a game.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sambb

Post by sambb »

nope, no longer find the NFL entertaining.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I’ve stopped watching football, even turn down free tickets offered. I don’t like witnessing concussions.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

No, I consider all sports pointless, unless it's boxing or mixed martial arts.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

No, and I'm usually in bed before it ends. My days of caring about the NFL ended about 5 years ago. And I don't understand the commercials either.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I'd pay a significant amount of money to not have to go to any type of football game.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I wouldn't go even if the tix were free and on the 50 yard line.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

I intend to attend. It is on my bucket list. I attended one previously between the Chicago Bears and Indy Colts in Miami. I paid $3,400 for that ticket and I am willing to pay at least that much again. I am 76 years old and my time is short on this green earth. YOLO.
Last edited by Jazzman on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sir_throckmorton

Post by sir_throckmorton »

Yes, if my team was in it. The NFL game day experience is like nothing else. Seeing my team play in the Super Bowl would be incredible.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Although we had season tickets from their first season forward, for many, many years for our home team, I had no interest in going to the Super Bowl when they played.
The best seat in the house was in my family room. No parking problems, no crowds, no drunks sitting behind us spilling beer on us (even in the expensive seats), easy access to good food and clean, nice restrooms!!
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

samsdad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 pm No. No longer interested in watching the NFL.
Usually the local paper has the results the next day, good enough for me.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
tindel

Post by tindel »

If I had the money, or other means to get in, I'd go.

I got an opportunity to go to the World Series a couple years ago. Saw game 5 Astros vs Dodgers. Best game I've ever seen... any sport - and I've been fortunate to see some incredible games. I didn't spend a dime on the seats - neither did my brother who brought me. He hawks tickets all of the time and is WAY ahead.

It's a memory my brother and I will have the rest of our lives.

Totally worth a few hundred on a last minute plane ticket and all the food and beer my brother and I wanted to consume (not a stupid amount).
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I might if my team were playing in it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Absolutely not. Had a chance a few years ago to watch my hometown team playing about 30 minutes from where I live. Didn't even consider it, simply not worth the money to me.

I have sort of grown out of my sports fanatic days.
Bajadoc

Post by Bajadoc »

They would have to pay me $2500 for the day plus expenses and $250 per diem to attend the game. For this, I would attend enthusiastically and cheer appropriately. I would also wear the proper sports attire and drink a $20 cup of domestic beer.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

My alma mater played in the national championship and tickets were sky high. We payed a Lottttttttt for tickets, and we won. My extended family and some friends made the trip and it was money well spent. I wouldn’t take anything for that experience. I skimp every moment of every day to meet my goals, and I do it so I can enjoy the weeks like that one. War Eagle!
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Jazzman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:13 pm I intend to attend. It is on my bucket list. I attended one previously between the Chicago Bears and Indy Colts in Miami. I paid $3,400 for that ticket and I am willing to pay at least that much again. I am 76 years old and my time is short on this green earth. YOLO.
Yes, please go Jesse. The game will be held in Atlanta. Have fun and live it up.
Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 »

WDE!!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Jazzman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:13 pm I intend to attend. It is on my bucket list. I attended one previously between the Chicago Bears and Indy Colts in Miami. I paid $3,400 for that ticket and I am willing to pay at least that much again. I am 76 years old and my time is short on this green earth. YOLO.
Yes, please go Jesse. The game will be held in Orlando. Have fun and live it up.
HueyLD,

I think this year's Superbowl will be in Atlanta, GA.

KlangFool
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

A friend of mine went last year (die hard Eagles fan). He was quite happy to pay thousands to go, especially given the outcome.

That said the Super Bowl crowd is kinda lame by football standards. It's much more fun to go to a home playoff game.

I'm also not sure why people who aren't even into football would bother posting in this thread, but whatevs.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I go to football games on a fairly regular basis at all levels: sometimes NFL, sometimes NCAA, sometimes AFL (I haven't gone to a Rattlers game since they joined the IFL, but that is a timing thing, not a choice), I'll probably go to some AAF games. Football is second only to golf on the list of sports I love to watch, and unlike golf, my playing days are over.

Going to a game is an interesting experience. I tend to enjoy the game more when I watch at home, but I enjoy the experience more in person.

I wouldn't pay that much to go to the Super Bowl, no matter who is in it. It isn't like even a conference championship game where the crowd is mostly rooting for your team, except in Glendale and Los Angeles where the visiting team seems to have good representation.

Then again, there are experiences you can't get on TV. I went to the Cardinals' home opener a few years ago ... favored by something like 9.5 points, too. I got to meet the family of the visiting team's long snapper before the game, just randomly while hanging out. That was pretty cool.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

Absolutely! If the Texans were in the Super Bowl, I would be there. I have season tickets and have suffered through too many seasons to not be there.
I was at the 2017 World Series and flew my son in to go with me. One of our best experiences! But I am a sports nut. We all have our priorities!
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

being raised a sports fan and going to games with your parents, siblings, then kids is something special...sorry so many here don't get it.
Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle »

To see the Rams (gag) play the Patriots (double gag) in Atlanta (good grief!)?
coacher

Post by coacher »

I was fortunate to be able to attend the Super Bowl in New Orleans 6 years ago. Great game and great fun, but from a football purist perspective the environment was far less exciting than if I had been at a playoff game at one of the teams' home venues. I won the tickets from a local radio sports talk show, but definitely would not have paid fair market value for them. I now consider that line item from my bucket list checked off.
DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 »

I am not that big of a football fan, although leaving in Boston since 2001 it's hard not to root for the Patriots, but this summer I had an opportunity to get a few tickets for decent seats at the 2018 World Cup final in Moscow (at face value ~$750/per ticket), and went for it. It was an epic experience, and I'd totally do it again.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Global100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 pm Would you (or have you) paid thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl game? Share your thoughts and/or experiences if was worth it.
If my team was in it, and I was 85 with plenty of money left, I'd take my kids.

But no way before that. Thousands per ticket will buy you a trip almost anywhere in the world. I'd much rather spend a week in Alaska or Hawaii or Europe with my family than one night at the SuperBowl.

Besides, football on TV is nearly as good as being there (and in some ways, better).

And like others said, I'd imagine my home stadium is far more fun than the SuperBowl.
Last edited by HomerJ on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

stevewolfe wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 pm If my team was in the game, and I could afford to go, yes, I would absolutely. You live once. I would rather spend the money on an experience of a lifetime than live with the regret of not going if I had the chance.

Steve
I promise you, if I never attend a SuperBowl, I will not live or die with that as a "regret". I think it would be fun to go once, but it's not THAT important a event to me. Just my opinion. The OP asked though. His opinion may be different.
Last edited by HomerJ on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

If you already attended one, shouldn't it be crossed off your bucket list?
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Global100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 pm Would you (or have you) paid thousands per ticket to attend the NFL Super Bowl game? Share your thoughts and/or experiences if was worth it.
If I could score a Super Bowl ticket, I certainly would.

I did get a ticket to the 1997 World Series Game 2 right behind home plate and it was one of the great highlights of my life.

I have done a couple of NCAA Regional Final games and they too are a blast.

And I have done about five Div III National Championship BB games and they were a blast.

If it is something that you'll enjoy and can afford, why not??
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

sir_throckmorton wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 pm Yes, if my team was in it. The NFL game day experience is like nothing else. Seeing my team play in the Super Bowl would be incredible.
I have been an NFL season ticket holder for over 30 years (3 tickets). It is very nice and fun to go to them with my wife and son, some times tailgating when not too cold or wet...nice family get together. As you wrote, the game day experience with them is like nothing else. Watching on a TV is no match of enjoyment.
My team (Colts) was in the Super Bowl some years ago, but I wouldn't pay "thousands". If they reach it again, I might. I am 86 and that would be fun at this time of life (as long as I don't have to climb 40 or so steps!!!
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
traveler901

Post by traveler901 »

No, I'm a big football fan but would rather just go to a big regular season home game. Also prefer the atmosphere of a college game.

Would rather attend a World Series game or NBA finals game over the Super Bowl.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Absolutely not. Zero interest in American football. Never have, never will.

Real sports take place on ice, not grass. :sharebeer
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I would seriously consider spending about ~1000$ to NOT attend the Superbowl, if it was mandatory.
I work near stadium and it's amazing to ,e how much money people spend on sports. People with no money, mostly.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Football is one of the worst games to watch live at a stadium as so much of the action/detail is missed, though the huge tv screens have helped somewhat. And unless you have a vested interest in either team, the Super Bowl historically is not the best game of the year. I'll keep my $$$$ and invest it wisely! ;)
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Yes it was worth it , I did a couple but it was a long while back - I an really glad I went. We also did the pre and post parties with retired and active NFL players at that time.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

+1. I will go the next time my Panthers are in it. That might be never but I agree with Jazzman. It is a once in the lifetime experience.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

I enjoy sports but I was unwilling to spend $600 for World Series tickets when my team was at home and it was a 15 minute cab ride. So no, I’m not willing to pay to attend the Super Bowl.