Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:27 am

Capricorn51 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 am
I've been very happy with Clothing Arts
https://www.clothingarts.com

Not "cheap", but durable. I have both the cargo and dress styles. Cargo is very comfy on planes, and dress style can very well be worn under a blazer. Lots of pockets with zippered compartments.
Thanks for the tip.
Ordered a pair to try.
Hope it ifits :shock:

mahalo
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 am

For me, versatility is key.

Unless I'm going on an adventure vacation/safari - I want a travel pant that feels like hiking pants, but that I can wear with a shirt and jacket to dinner. That's how I can get away with only a carry-on for a 10+ day trip.

The best I've ever owned are Outlier Slim Dungarees (which came recommended by Wirecutter, and a few friends). Downside is they're $200 pants, but I also wear them to work on a regular basis.

Uniqlo also makes some good, stylish dress pants for like $40 that are made of tech fabric but look like slacks. I believe they're called Kando and they're essentially golf pants.

My other versatile essential is a pair of white minimalist sneakers. Common Projects on the insanely high end, vans or Stan Smiths on the low end - and a million options in between. Comfortable enough to walk around in all day - but also a modern fashion staple that you'll see on the feet of hip locals at trendy & popular restaurants in major metropolitan areas across the world.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am
Interesting that nobody here likes cotton slacks. I travel fairly often and, since retiring, only take cotton slacks on trips. I have wool slacks at home, but they never go into the suitcase. And I don't own any slacks made from synthetics. Dockers work well for me. I get them in the darker colors.
I find nylon clothing is physically lighter than any cotton pants I have and it dries much quicker (though I usually don't, I could wash them in a sink and line dry overnight). I am also more likely to be taking "hiking like" stuff, which tends to be nylon.

I might take one pair of "nicer" cotton pants on some trips.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am

I see a lot more brands carrying tech pants or chinos. It's synthetic, stretchy, various colors and fits, and various levels of "formality", some look pretty good and not very outdoorsy. I have a pair from old navy in fact that have been great. I think I've seen them from places like jcrew, banana republic, uniqlo, nordstrom, bonobos, maybe even target, and probably many other stores.

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 am
ZumZabo wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 pm
Due to health, I have not travelled in several years.
Recently upgraded my passport, TSA Precheck, Travel ID, etc. ("newbie" ready to ride/fly).

Now packing for an upcoming trip, I've found that my assortment of travel pants have "shrunk" in storage. (that must be it) :shock:
Thus, I am on the hunt for new travel clothes.

Previously, nothing but Columbia long sleeve shirts, pants, and shorts.
Now needs a redo.

Slacks (casual, lightweight)
No iron, wrinkle free, minimum cotton (bulk and weight), elastic waist would help.
1 pair dress, 2 pairs casual?
*Really like the Columbia Men's "Global Adventurer" slacks but discontinued.

Long sleeve shirts (casual), wrinkle free, no cotton?
1 semi dress, 2 casual?

I only travel with a single carry-on so less bulk and weight is important.

Suggestions?

Retired newbie traveller.
mahalo,
j :D
Sandtrap,

Glad you are able to travel more again!

In addition to some of the brands mentioned, I like Railriders stuff -- they have excellent lightweight cargo pants (nylon) plus some nylon hiking pants I really like. Also their shirts. Drawback -- generally not available in retail stores, have to order (so mild guessing on sizes).

On an editorial note, some of the other responses were "don't look like an American tourist!" This viewpoint, frankly, leaves me laughing hard enough to injure myself. Unless you are wearing what the locals wear (in Paris, will you go for dark slim fit clothes?), look like the locals (how would you avoid looking like an American in Japan?), and speak the local language fluently with no accent, you will be identifiable as an American tourist from about 100 yards away. This is not a problem unless you are traveling in an area hostile to US citizens.

Even in Europe this is true. I mean, you are walking around in a European city, perhaps with a camera, possibly asking people for directions/suggestions/help .... trust me, they will know you are not from around there. Why this bothers some people bemuses me.

You want to travel light, so that will impact what clothes you can take; obviously all you can do is optimize for the expected weather and the amount of baggage you want to deal with.
100% agree. My wife and I travel to Europe at least once per year for the last 35 years and we both keep a small wardrobe there that we bought there. Just carry on with items people there ask us to bring. I can’t remember the last time we checked a bag. We are identified as Americans instantly. It is sually a conversation starter for them to tell us about their visits to the US and have had countless pleasant exchanges. It has never been a problem. We are not fooling anyone. Conversly, it is really easy to pick out a tourist in the US. They don’t feel the need to pretend they are Americans or apologize for being Italian, French, Brazilian etc...

I do, however, have some light weight microfiber slacks that I bought from Sam’s Club years ago that work really well for nicer occasions (dinner, visiting someone’s home) etc. Lightweight, never wrinkle, dry in no time, creases and pleats sharp for years. I am guilty of “dorking out” with convertible pants when hiking. Can be cooler in the morning and warmer later while also going uphill in the mountains. Nice to turn them into shorts just like the locals and other European tourists do. We definitely do not use them in town but if one is living out of a backpack for a long period of time, they are used all the time and save space.

OP didn’t ask about shirts but I have purchased some shirts from Joseph A Banks that are a blend and no iron. Really nice Oxford shirt with button down collar. I’ve put them in a carry on taken them out a day or two later and they look like they just came from the cleaners. I used them for work for years and seriously never had to iron one. Really good if traveling in the city.
Curious.
How did you keep a wardrobe "there"?
Did you have a second residence?
thanks.
Hello Sandtrap,

We have family there. My wife’s parents live in Germany. We have a small cabinet on their condo with the essentials folded away. Enough for all of the seasons but not a lot of anything. One to wash, one to wear and one to spare. That’s how we have traveled for decades. It is really nice having the bulky items there. Coats, hiking boots, trekking poles etc.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

glock19

Post by glock19 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am
matatupuncher wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am
I recommend you take a look at r/onebag on reddit. There are a lot of really good gear reviews; pants included. Please, please, please, whatever you do, do not dork out and wear convertible pants. As others have mentioned Prana makes a really good product. I'll throw a plug in for RailRiders Teton mountain pants and any one of a number of models from Arc'teryx.
I promise not to "dork out".
Not sure if these are all the same. "dork", "dweeb", "geek", "nerd", . . . . :shock:
Could you explain to me why the convertible pants are "dorky" please?

I'm not one for keeping up with the latest trends, and do find them comfortable and practical. Just wondering.........

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:55 am
much deleted ...

I would say you are over thinking it a bit with all due respect and the last I heard Nike was very big internationally.
With respect to the last point, yes indeed it is. Not many years ago we were briefly in a large German city (haven't spent any real time in Germany). We walked to a large outdoor shopping area (outdoor mall like place). To my surprise (and mild dismay) I felt like 70% of the stores would have been completely at home in a US mall! Same brands! I grant you, I believe this area had a "tourist" focus ... but it was being patronized by locals, US tourists, non-German European tourists etc.

Related, in the UK last year during the spring. In cold damp weather, were people wearing nice wool sweaters made of wool from the sheep of which there are many pictures? No. I saw maybe two people wearing that kind of gear. Everybody was wearing North Face, Patagonia ..... I did see a few Jack Wolfskin jackets (much more common in Europe than in the US).

I do think in smaller towns you can get more "authentic" stuff but for better or worse, the long arm of firms like Nike is everywhere.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 am

https://www.galls.com/propper-ripstop-b ... gKOyfD_BwE

You've many options, wink :wink:
I see minor differences between these and anti- "pick-pocket-pants" outside the costs.
I wear nothing else. Glad your getting out!
Its essential to promote health & well being imo.
I do suspect they exchange for free. I do not know, they've always fit well.
aspirit signing out of threads objective undertaking.
Good luck!
Last edited by aspirit on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 am

glock19 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 am
Sandtrap wrote:
matatupuncher wrote:
I recommend you take a look at r/onebag on reddit. There are a lot of really good gear reviews; pants included. Please, please, please, whatever you do, do not dork out and wear convertible pants. As others have mentioned Prana makes a really good product. I'll throw a plug in for RailRiders Teton mountain pants and any one of a number of models from Arc'teryx.
Not sure if these are all the same. "dork", "dweeb", "geek", "nerd", . . . . :shock:

I'm not one for keeping up with the latest trends, and do find them comfortable and practical. Just wondering.........
They ARE practical and comfortable. Some people seem to find them offensive looking. Others, like myself, do not.

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am
hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:55 am
much deleted ...

I would say you are over thinking it a bit with all due respect and the last I heard Nike was very big internationally.
With respect to the last point, yes indeed it is. Not many years ago we were briefly in a large German city (haven't spent any real time in Germany). We walked to a large outdoor shopping area (outdoor mall like place). To my surprise (and mild dismay) I felt like 70% of the stores would have been completely at home in a US mall! Same brands! I grant you, I believe this area had a "tourist" focus ... but it was being patronized by locals, US tourists, non-German European tourists etc.

Related, in the UK last year during the spring. In cold damp weather, were people wearing nice wool sweaters made of wool from the sheep of which there are many pictures? No. I saw maybe two people wearing that kind of gear. Everybody was wearing North Face, Patagonia ..... I did see a few Jack Wolfskin jackets (much more common in Europe than in the US).

I do think in smaller towns you can get more "authentic" stuff but for better or worse, the long arm of firms like Nike is everywhere.
Adidas and Puma are both European companies based in Germany. Athletic shoes are not exclusively American.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am

glock19 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
matatupuncher wrote:

Fanny packs are practical too. Wearing knee high socks with sandals can be practical in some situations.

There's not a logical reason why all of these things are dorky; in today's society, they just are.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:35 am

glock19 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
matatupuncher wrote:

Having no sense of "style" beyond "Aloha shirt, beach shorts, and rubber slippers" :D )

. . . Perhaps others with a sense of "style" will chime in.

Captain_Video

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants / Shirts Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by Captain_Video » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Another suggestion for a small wallet is the Ridge Wallet:
https://www.ridgewallet.com/collections/wallets
A little pricey but works very well.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 am
Norsky19 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:00 am

Prana Stretch Zion. Amazing for just about everything.
Thanks for the tip! :D
I ordered a pair to try.
Hope it ifts :shock:

mahalo
It took me several attempts to get the correct sizing on my Prana Stretch Zions, the correct combo of waist, length and inseam. But stay the course, as they say. I should note that the lower half of the pants can be rolled up and clasped if one feels the urge to join the convertible crowd.
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am
Interesting that nobody here likes cotton slacks. I travel fairly often and, since retiring, only take cotton slacks on trips. I have wool slacks at home, but they never go into the suitcase. And I don't own any slacks made from synthetics. Dockers work well for me. I get them in the darker colors.
You and my pal from Lonely Planet. He travels the tropics and Middle East in one pair of jeans. He also has some "very stylish" convertible pants from Fjällräven, but doesn't detach the lower leggings - "they are waterproof and still stylish enough to go to a hip bar or restaurant."

glock19

Post by glock19 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:31 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am
glock19 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
matatupuncher wrote:

Fanny packs are practical too. Wearing knee high socks with sandals can be practical in some situations.

There's not a logical reason why all of these things are dorky; in today's society, they just are.

Well, not to hijack the thread, but I just found this interesting.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Where I live you see lots of guys wearing the convertible pants, a.k.a. fishing pants. We must be quite backwards because the stores, i.e. Academy, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Columbia have racks full of them. However in our defense, I can't remember the last time I saw a guy in knee high socks and sandals.

Maybe I just need to get out more.................

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:20 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 am
AlphaLess wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:09 pm
I got tired of all this so I purchased a tiny trifold wallet made out of the material they make parachutes from.It holds about 12 cards and plenty of cash,weighs nothing and fits in the small zippered pockets on the front of my pants or jacket.Extremely happy with it and now use it as my regular wallet.It is almost the same size as a credit card.
What's the name of the wallet and company making it?
Thanks
It is called light fold and I bought it on Amazon.
Fantastic. Thank you VERY MUCH.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 pm
sksbog wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Nit sure if you are just looking for clothing or other travel tips as well. Here are some others I do.

1. Visit nearby Target or AAA store. In the international vsection get these
A. Travel pouch that beyls around your waist, inside ur shirt. Very light weight. To keep passport or cash.
B. Luggage tags.

C. Electrical plug and adapter kit.

2. Digital Copy of your important travel docs , encrypted in a USB stick.
3. Credit card visa or MasterCard , no amex, with no international fee.
4. Debit card with no international/ATM fee.
5. Contact list with important numbers.
6. Check out state department website to the county you are traveling for immunizations .
7. Set up Uber in ur phone if you are going to use it there.
Wow.
Thanks for the list.

Immunizations?? :confused
I meant immunization recommendations, according to the region you will be visiting.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm

sksbog wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 pm
sksbog wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Nit sure if you are just looking for clothing or other travel tips as well. Here are some others I do.

1. Visit nearby Target or AAA store. In the international vsection get these
A. Travel pouch that beyls around your waist, inside ur shirt. Very light weight. To keep passport or cash.
B. Luggage tags.

C. Electrical plug and adapter kit.

2. Digital Copy of your important travel docs , encrypted in a USB stick.
3. Credit card visa or MasterCard , no amex, with no international fee.
4. Debit card with no international/ATM fee.
5. Contact list with important numbers.
6. Check out state department website to the county you are traveling for immunizations .
7. Set up Uber in ur phone if you are going to use it there.
Wow.
Thanks for the list.

Immunizations?? :confused
I meant immunization recommendations, according to the region you will be visiting.
I have a slightly different list:

1. AT LEAST Two copies of everything: (1) Debit Card, (2) Credit Card, (3) Passport (yes, I have two passports: one regular, and one card).

Separate the cards and carry in two different places. E.g., one set of documents in your wallet, on you, at all times.

Keep the other set of 'things' in a bag that you always carry with you, e.g., a small back-pack.
When in hotels, lock the one set in the safe. Also, split your cash in two places.

We ensure that the different sets of cards have different banks. E.g., I carry Chase and City. Spouse carries BofA and WellsFargo. We carry cards covering Visa, Master, and Amex from several banks. Just in case.

I also carry my Global Trusted Traveler Card. While neither this card, nor the passport card are valid documents for re-entry to the USA, it would be handy to have those, e.g., if you want to claim an emergency passport at a US Consulate abroad. And I bet you, if you managed to get back to US without a passport, but with one of those in hand, you have a good chance of getting admitted.

2. Medicine kit. A lot of medicines that are available without prescription in the US require prescription abroad. So we have a semi-standard set that we carry with us. Also, general medicine that we need here and there (e.g., congestion, allergies, diarrhea, NSAIDs, cold and flue, and everything else you can think of).

ONE EpiPen (of the two that we have in our home). Make sure it is still not expired.

3. Ensure that you can access your accounts. One key part of accessing accounts is being able to get txt messages for the so-called 2-factor login. The other is Google Authenticator. Some people have mixed feelings about traveling through customs with your primary phone (not erased). If you erase your phone just before going through customs, expecting to re-surrect it from the cloud upon arrival, you need some good paper codes.

4. Make sure don't carry your weapon. In most countries you will be unable to carry your weapon legally.

5. Avoid any itineraries that go through the ACC, GCC, and a number of other countries where minor infractions could result in arrest. This includes being caught with muffins that have poppy seeds on them, among other things, or caught swearing (not at someone, but just in general).

6. Download offline Google maps to your phones.

7. Pack EXTRA TSA-Proof. Be extra diligent about small liquid containers that will slip through the TSA, as well as any other minor gadgets. E.g., when transferring through LHR, you will be asked to go through security again, even though you have been through security. British agents were able to locate two small hand sanitizers that we had in our hand luggage, loose, separate from other under-100-ml liquids. Also, they were very adamant about fitting our liquids in THEIR bags, with a limit of 10. So we scrambled to make sure that our liquids were compliant. And lastly, they found a small set of scissors that slipped through the TSA, and confiscated it. No hard feelings either way.

8. Always board the plane with some liquid with you, such as water. We carry our reusable water bottles, and fill them up. While they serve liquids on the airplane, you never know when they might run out,

9. Have socks, and additional layers in your carry on. If you have an emergency landing in cold, this could be handy,
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

Starfish

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants / Shirts Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by Starfish » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 pm

I take only couple of credit and debit cards, some cash (500-2000$, depending on place), european plug converter if I go in Europe, paper clip for changing the SIM (I always forget this one, in most countries you can buy a SIM card for 5-15$ and the person selling it will change it for you, but in american airports they sell 5$ paperclips), offline Google maps on iphone, driving license and a shirt because is cold on the plane (if destination is cold I have heavy jacket).
I have no allergies, require no medicine etc. Neither my wife or my kid. I don't need any water except what I can find at fountains and what I gen on the plane. I carry no liquids. I have never used hand sanitizers and I specifically told my kid not to touch that @#$% ever. We drink from tap in all countries and very rarely buy bottled water. I don't own a weapon or a money belt and probably never will. I am alive and not even that young.
You guys are make it too complicates. Or you like lists a lot.

On topic, I use jeans and shorts as travel pants, but I want to buy a pair that does NOT look like travel or hiking pants. I don't want to stand out and attract attention, I should blend in. So definitely not convertibles for me, no white sneakers for walking around etc. Not in a city for sure. Once you stand out, even in very safe countries you can become a target.

PS: I like that wallet.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am

Starfish wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 pm
I take only couple of credit and debit cards, some cash (500-2000$, depending on place), european plug converter if I go in Europe, paper clip for changing the SIM (I always forget this one, in most countries you can buy a SIM card for 5-15$ and the person selling it will change it for you, but in american airports they sell 5$ paperclips), offline Google maps on iphone, driving license and a shirt because is cold on the plane (if destination is cold I have heavy jacket).
I have no allergies, require no medicine etc. Neither my wife or my kid. I don't need any water except what I can find at fountains and what I gen on the plane. I carry no liquids. I have never used hand sanitizers and I specifically told my kid not to touch that @#$% ever. We drink from tap in all countries and very rarely buy bottled water. I don't own a weapon or a money belt and probably never will. I am alive and not even that young.

On topic, I use jeans and shorts as travel pants, but I want to buy a pair that does NOT look like travel or hiking pants. I don't want to stand out and attract attention, I should blend in. So definitely not convertibles for me, no white sneakers for walking around etc. Not in a city for sure. Once you stand out, even in very safe countries you can become a target.

I won't rehash the arguments, but as noted above, several of us believe the "blend in" concern is both misguided and pointless, as you will not blend in regardless of clothing.

There were a couple of potentially interesting points in the last couple of posts about packing. For example, the spouse and I always carry water and snacks on the plane. Among other things, if you wind up stuck on the runway for a hour or two, you may not get beverage service. I want to be sure I can eat and drink.

Generally related to packing, Starfish doesn't take any liquids at all on board -- but that may not be practical. I only take drinking water *if* I'm checking a bag, but if going carry-on only, I don't want to buy shampoo, toothpaste, shaving stuff etc etc on the trip, so one is reduced to carrying on liquids in the TSA compliant containers.

The other packing-related thing I do is put more emphasis on being able to easily pull liquids, electronics and snacks out of carry-ons, as the list of items to be checked gets longer and longer. My last trip was the first time I had to pull my camera out. They also wanted to see my snacks. So I try to make it easy to get those things out (yes, I know Precheck fixes that, if they have a Precheck line which is not always the case).

And finally Starfish, it's safe to drink the water in most 1st world countries, but there are plenty of places out there where you really really want bottled water (I haven't traveled much in such countries, but I have a relative who has).

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 pm
Bluffworks pants. Last year I took a pair of their Chinos and a pair of their "Originals" on a 10 day trip to Italy. I wore a pair of jeans (not Bluffworks) on the plane, and wish I had left them home. I love their zippered security pockets. The pants are lightweight and don't get many wrinkles.

https://shop.bluffworks.com/
+1 on these - they are great. I wear the classics daily for work.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am
And finally Starfish, it's safe to drink the water in most 1st world countries, but there are plenty of places out there where you really really want bottled water (I haven't traveled much in such countries, but I have a relative who has).
I recently bought the Grayl water bottle filter (https://thegrayl.com/) for a trip to Egypt and it worked great. While bottled water was fairly widely available it was nice to never have to worry about running out.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 am

rjbraun wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 pm

I actually learned of Rohan Designs from another Bogleheads post. Kind of surprised no one has suggested them. I haven't had occasion to buy more travel clothing since learning of Rohan, but I figured I would check them out, at some point, in the future.

https://www.rohandesigns.com
Great point - I have a few of their Element T shirts that are five years old and have held up great.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

You mean like;

Light weight - quick drying: https://www.exofficio.com/

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am

Since it hasn't been mentioned: https://mugsyjeans.com/

I'm not sure they're intended to be "travel" pants exactly, but they are extremely comfortable and look like normal pants. The jean are indistinguishable from normal jeans, but infinitely more comfortable. I had to buy a size down to get a slimmer appearance because they are a bit stretchy.

I wear their chinos to work and the jeans for casual wear. I have a hard time convincing myself to wear any other pants I own now.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am
TN_Boy wrote:
I recently bought the Grayl water bottle filter (https://thegrayl.com/) for a trip to Egypt and it worked great. While bottled water was fairly widely available it was nice to never have to worry about running out.
Interesting, thanks for the pointer!

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 am
AlphaLess wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:09 pm
I got tired of all this so I purchased a tiny trifold wallet made out of the material they make parachutes from.It holds about 12 cards and plenty of cash,weighs nothing and fits in the small zippered pockets on the front of my pants or jacket.Extremely happy with it and now use it as my regular wallet.It is almost the same size as a credit card.
What's the name of the wallet and company making it?
Thanks
It is called light fold and I bought it on Amazon.
I just bought this on your recommendation. At like $12 I won't be too mad at you if I don't like it. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

I won't rehash the arguments, but as noted above, several of us believe the "blend in" concern is both misguided and pointless, as you will not blend in regardless of clothing.
I disagree. I believe I blend in for most eyes in any country with large enough european population. I am not trying to fool an evil expert, I just don't want to stand out.

There were a couple of potentially interesting points in the last couple of posts about packing. For example, the spouse and I always carry water and snacks on the plane. Among other things, if you wind up stuck on the runway for a hour or two, you may not get beverage service. I want to be sure I can eat and drink.

Generally related to packing, Starfish doesn't take any liquids at all on board -- but that may not be practical. I only take drinking water *if* I'm checking a bag, but if going carry-on only, I don't want to buy shampoo, toothpaste, shaving stuff etc etc on the trip, so one is reduced to carrying on liquids in the TSA compliant containers.

The other packing-related thing I do is put more emphasis on being able to easily pull liquids, electronics and snacks out of carry-ons, as the list of items to be checked gets longer and longer. My last trip was the first time I had to pull my camera out. They also wanted to see my snacks. So I try to make it easy to get those things out (yes, I know Precheck fixes that, if they have a Precheck line which is not always the case).
All hotels provide shampoo and a lot of them even tooth paste and a toothbrush. Anyway the toothpaste comes in small tubes for travel, I have several at home for that purpose.

I really don't get why would I have to have food and water on a plane... I mean what is the worst case scenario? If I get no food and water for 12h in a long flight (which is obviously not realistic) is really no big deal. I also don't carry any shaving stuff, what can happen if I don't manage to buy some in the first 3 days? by beard would grow a millimeter? I can take that.
In my opinion longer is the list, more inconvenient is the travel, more chances to forget something, more chances to lose something, more chances to have an issue if I don't have something I don't know what to do without.

Of course, I wouldn't drink the water in India. But I had no problem with western Europe, Eastern Europe, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico etc. and of course day to day in US.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Starfish wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

I disagree. I believe I blend in for most eyes in any country with large enough european population. I am not trying to fool an evil expert, I just don't want to stand out.

All hotels provide shampoo and a lot of them even tooth paste and a toothbrush. Anyway the toothpaste comes in small tubes for travel, I have several at home for that purpose.

I really don't get why would I have to have food and water on a plane... I mean what is the worst case scenario? If I get no food and water for 12h in a long flight (which is obviously not realistic) is really no big deal. I also don't carry any shaving stuff, what can happen if I don't manage to buy some in the first 3 days? by beard would grow a millimeter? I can take that.
In my opinion longer is the list, more inconvenient is the travel, more chances to forget something, more chances to lose something, more chances to have an issue if I don't have something I don't know what to do without.

Of course, I wouldn't drink the water in India. But I had no problem with western Europe, Eastern Europe, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico etc. and of course day to day in US.
I'll just respond in one spot:

1) Clearly we are not going to agree on the "blending in." My opinion, and that of several others in this thread, is that you are kidding yourself. Plus, in most of Europe it doesn't matter if they know you are American. I'll continue to not worry about this. There are places where I might, but not the ones you list above.

2) I think it is awesome that you can go for a long time without food and water, but many of us get thirsty and like to have more control over our food and water than we will get on the airplane. I'm also not prone to depend on hotels and such for toothpaste and various other toiletries when only using a carry-on. The toiletries don't make much of a list, since they permanently reside in a dedicated bag for travel, replenished as necessary.

3) I wouldn't drink the water in large parts of Mexico. You might be in the minority thinking that's okay.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 pm

jaxbmw wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 pm
Went in to COSTCO and saw some travel pants. Since we were just preparing for a trip I thought I would try them out. For less than $20 they were fantastic. I wish I had bought more than two pair. Wore them on flights from Miami to Singapore. They were comfortable and no wrinkles. They are now my go to pants when I travel. No more jeans. The ones at COSTCO were made by UB Tech.
Can’t agree more!! These have shown up there several times in the last year. Costco has other travel pants as well, just have to keep checking. Stretch fabric, zippered pockets, additional cargo pockets, just the best. Better then Prana or Columbia and 1/4 the price.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 pm

glock19 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
matatupuncher wrote:

I've said it before. Bogleheads are very practical. Fashion/aesthetics and practicality don't always intersect. I'm always reading how Toyotas and Hondas are the best cars. They are reliability wise....looks and drivewise, I beg to differ. Some people don't care about that stuff, which is fine. I can pick out those people on every trip I go wearing what looks like their travel uniform. I spot them from a mile away. Being very practical makes some people happy. I try to balance practicality with aesthetics (not just in travel clothes). That being said, there are some things being made that do look good and are practical. Uniqlo and Bonobos and Lululemon have been mentioned. Just a few weeks ago I bought a pair of Theory pants that are incredible. They are like a nylon stretchy fabric and look fantastic. They are comfortable enough that I could workout in them (albeit looking a little overdressed) or wear them with a dress shirt and blazer. They retail for $245, but I got them at a discount store (Marhsalls) for $45.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 pm

penumbra wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 pm
jaxbmw wrote:
Went in to COSTCO and saw some travel pants. Since we were just preparing for a trip I thought I would try them out. For less than $20 they were fantastic. I wish I had bought more than two pair. Wore them on flights from Miami to Singapore. They were comfortable and no wrinkles. They are now my go to pants when I travel. No more jeans. The ones at COSTCO were made by UB Tech.
Can’t agree more!! These have shown up there several times in the last year. Costco has other travel pants as well, just have to keep checking. Stretch fabric, zippered pockets, additional cargo pockets, just the best. Better then Prana or Columbia and 1/4 the price.
Costco currently has some Eddie Bauer that are a new item for 19.99 I think.The zippered pocket is on the back however.I actually bought 3 pairs of the UB Tech(Union Bay) at Costco a couple months ago.Just by chance,at one Costco in Folsom Ca.they had them on some special pricing along with a lot of other clothes.....$7.50 per pair and that is not a misprint.Never seen prices like that at Costco before or since.For me the UB are perfect but I am easier to please than the fashionistas that have been posting :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:02 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 pm

1) Clearly we are not going to agree on the "blending in." My opinion, and that of several others in this thread, is that you are kidding yourself. Plus, in most of Europe it doesn't matter if they know you are American. I'll continue to not worry about this. There are places where I might, but not the ones you list above.

2) I think it is awesome that you can go for a long time without food and water, but many of us get thirsty and like to have more control over our food and water than we will get on the airplane. I'm also not prone to depend on hotels and such for toothpaste and various other toiletries when only using a carry-on. The toiletries don't make much of a list, since they permanently reside in a dedicated bag for travel, replenished as necessary.

3) I wouldn't drink the water in large parts of Mexico. You might be in the minority thinking that's okay.
1) I am born and raised and spend slightly more than half of my life in Europe, I think I am ok with blending in. I don't talk loud, I dress normal (similar with locals), I don't carry a fanny pack or a money belt, and that is about everything you need to do. Really not that hard.
Europe, while much safer in term of murder rate than US is full of pick pockets and mild violent crime (fights etc) is not infrequent. As a matter fact a was involved in some and I witnessed some as a tourist. So I am afraid you are a bit optimistic.
If you are not seen as a short term tourist the chance for any of the above is very low, towards 0. Locals are not targets, they know how to defend themselves and don't carry valuables. You don't have to look exactly like locals but it is useful not to look like you be around for only 5 days.
2) Not only I can easily go 12h without food and even water but I do it every day: between dinner and lunch 14-15 hours pass (I quit having breakfast when I started preparing the kid for school, but even then it will be about 12h), and I definitely don't drink anything for at least 8h while sleeping (unless i have a hangover :)). It's not that amazing, I am pretty sure most adults have similar achievements. I mean how is this even a discussion?
3) I probably agree here, I don't know that much about all parts of Mexico and probably some places have local filtering. But the rest of the countries on the list are ok.
To me if the locals drink the water I can usually drink the water with little risk.
Anyway I don't think the airport fountains are an issue even in Mexico.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 am

jaxbmw wrote:
These ones?

https://www.unionbay.com/products/raini ... ravel-pant

They look great, but the apparent absence of zippers on the rear and cargo pockets makes it a hard pass. (But correct me if I'm wrong).

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:22 am

glock19 wrote:

The zipper and its accompanying flap ruin your leg line, not to mention the lumps and bumps from all the pockets. And the whole "comfortable and practical" thing is a dead giveaway. But it's only a problem if you worry about it :D

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am

Starfish wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:02 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 pm

1) I am born and raised and spend slightly more than half of my life in Europe, I think I am ok with blending in. I don't talk loud, I dress normal (similar with locals), I don't carry a fanny pack or a money belt, and that is about everything you need to do. Really not that hard.
Europe, while much safer in term of murder rate than US is full of pick pockets and mild violent crime (fights etc) is not infrequent. As a matter fact a was involved in some and I witnessed some as a tourist. So I am afraid you are a bit optimistic.
If you are not seen as a short term tourist the chance for any of the above is very low, towards 0. Locals are not targets, they know how to defend themselves and don't carry valuables. You don't have to look exactly like locals but it is useful not to look like you be around for only 5 days.
2) Not only I can easily go 12h without food and even water but I do it every day: between dinner and lunch 14-15 hours pass (I quit having breakfast when I started preparing the kid for school, but even then it will be about 12h), and I definitely don't drink anything for at least 8h while sleeping (unless i have a hangover :)). It's not that amazing, I am pretty sure most adults have similar achievements. I mean how is this even a discussion?
3) I probably agree here, I don't know that much about all parts of Mexico and probably some places have local filtering. But the rest of the countries on the list are ok.
To me if the locals drink the water I can usually drink the water with little risk.
Anyway I don't think the airport fountains are an issue even in Mexico.
We are not going to achieve consensus :D

I don't talk loud or carry a fanny pack. I am careful how valuables are (not) displayed and carried. I try to know generally what areas are considered "safe*." I try to avoid being isolated (to avoid the more violent problems). I don't drink much. I'm aware of some of the pickpocket scams. Etc. I do not try that hard to look like a local because I think it very difficult (even if I wasn't often carrying a camera). But again, maybe I don't know for sure what blending in means. When someone from France visits the UK, do they try and look like the Brits? And vice-versa?

When you traveled in Mexico did you really dress like the *locals*?

I also believe that professional thieves get very very good at identifying non-locals. If you do something for a living, you get good at it.

Why are we discussing not drinking for 12+ hours? Because you brought it up, wondering why people need to take water on a plane! I know people (well one anyway) that skip breakfast, but surely you realize that routinely going from say dinner at 7 PM to lunch at 12PM the next day without any food or water at all is atypical for most people. It would definitely be a problem for me, especially in the summer when I'm out exercising. And airplane travel where the air is very dry tends to dehydrate me.

* though I know someone who was held up at gunpoint in an internet cafe (not in Europe). As best I can tell, tourists were targeted, though locals unfortunate enough to be there were also robbed.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 am
jaxbmw wrote:
These ones?

https://www.unionbay.com/products/raini ... ravel-pant

They look great, but the apparent absence of zippers on the rear and cargo pockets makes it a hard pass. (But correct me if I'm wrong).
I believe those are the ones,but you can go to Costco’s site.They have 2 zippered back pockets and one on the front.The 2 regular pockets are fairly deep and the pants are somewhat of a slim fit.They are definitely not baggy looking.
Just went to Costco site and do not see them anymore.I guess they replaced them with the Eddie Bauer pants.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm

OP here.
Followup.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful help and advice in all things travel.

Thoughts and Feedback after purchases, some returns. Tried a lot of the suggestions on this thread.

1. The Zion Prana line of slacks have great quality and look. Material is excellent. Selection is excellent. Worth the $$$

2. The "secure" travel plants from "Clothing Arts" are comfy and roomy, material is nice and seems durable. Worth the $$$.
"Clothing Arts", like Prana/Zion, seems to have a lot of cool stuff. Quality seems worth the money but not overpriced.

3. The "PacSafe" line of packs and wallets and things seem overpriced. Workmanship is just okay. But, worth the gadget level security if that is what's needed. The various backpacks are a bit lacking in capacity compared to other brands given the same "liter" listed size.

4. The Eddie Bauer line of slacks suggested here was dressy and nice (according to DW) but the "cut" is a bit thinner than the normal range of things. So "straight cut" is more like "slim".

5. Revisited Columbia (long time consumer) and again, the material seems to be more compromised than in the past, fit is either getting slimmer or I'm getting thicker. Not sure. :shock:

6. Did not get "convertible pants" so no feedback there.

7. Have an appointment for "Global Entry" this week. So thanks to those that suggested that.

8. Not sure if I have a Passport "card". It was suggested here to keep 2 of things and mentioned that. Not sure.

Have not had any shirt suggestions to feedback on. Perhaps another thread for that would be in order.

Thanks again everyone.
Newbie Retired World Traveler

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Have not had any shirt suggestions to feedback on. Perhaps another thread for that would be in order.
I have a couple of Perry Ellis Travel Luxe shirts. They stretch and are moisture wicking. They look like regular dress shirts and come in short and long sleeve. They feel good and are slim fit and not too boxy. The only negative is they do have a slight sheen to them due to the fabric used. I haven't tried it, but I imagine if you washed them or got them wet they would air dry pretty quickly.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
I have a couple of Perry Ellis Travel Luxe shirts. They stretch and are moisture wicking. They look like regular dress shirts and come in short and long sleeve. They feel good and are slim fit and not too boxy. The only negative is they do have a slight sheen to them due to the fabric used. I haven't tried it, but I imagine if you washed them or got them wet they would air dry pretty quickly.
Thanks.
I'll look into it. Likely the "slim fit" is not "senior retiree" body shape friendly. :shock:

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Try a shirt made out of merino wool. Merino wool wicks sweat, dries quickly, and most importantly it repels body odor better than any other fabric. You can rewear your shirt day after day and nobody's nose will know any better.

Wool & Prince makes nice wool shirts. https://woolandprince.com/collections/b ... own-shirts

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 am

The best I've ever owned are Outlier Slim Dungarees (which came recommended by Wirecutter, and a few friends). Downside is they're $200 pants, but I also wear them to work on a regular basis.
They really are the best, and very well worth it. I've tested just about every brand imaginable and do a lot of travel. These pants are built to last, basically the toyota of pants. I purchased 2 pairs several years ago, still in perfect shape. If I ever need to replace them, I'll buy the same exact pants.

As far as shirts and socks go, merino wool all the way. Outlier makes excellent socks, but I prefer wearcivic's t-shirts (less money, more comfortable than Outlier's). For button shirts, icebreaker and Wool&Prince make excellent merino wool options. Why merino wool? Can get several wears out of them before they need washed.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm
LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 am

They really are the best, and very well worth it. I've tested just about every brand imaginable and do a lot of travel. These pants are built to last, basically the toyota of pants. I purchased 2 pairs several years ago, still in perfect shape. If I ever need to replace them, I'll buy the same exact pants.

As far as shirts and socks go, merino wool all the way. Outlier makes excellent socks, but I prefer wearcivic's t-shirts (less money, more comfortable than Outlier's). For button shirts, icebreaker makes excellent merino wool options. Why merino wool? Can get several wears out of them before they need washed.
Thanks.
I looked up the website for Outliers. The "slim dungarees" might have fit me 30 years ago. They do have another cut in the "Futureworks" model though still seems a bit trim. I'm avoiding "chubby" but definitely no longer "trim".
Will look into it.
Thanks again.

shunkman

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by shunkman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 am

I have travelled extensively by motorcycle. On these trips, everything I wear is synthetic except for wool socks. And everything I wear is either gray or black in color. With these "color" choices, I never have to worry about matching outfits and everything can be washed in one load of laundry (no separating colors). I have also found that the Costco travel clothes work just as well as anything I get at REI, etc.

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
The timing of your thread was perfect as I was preparing for a trip to Cuba when you started it and now that I am back I am making adjustments for a trip in April to Asia. As far as shirts, I have found I really like the North Face short sleeve shirt for travel day use. It has a hidden zipper pocket on the outside of the chest, perfect for some cash and credit card for immediate use. I have Eddie Bauer travel long sleeve shirts for cooler weather and evenings/dinners but starting to look at ExOffical long sleeves.

Since returning I have replaced my travel pants. I went with the PrAna Brion in black, grey and dark khaki. To quote my wife they look more polished and taylored than the PrAna Stretch Zion but are made I believe of the same Zion water repellent material. They do not have a secure pocket but we found what worked great (and we learned of it from this thread) is the Eagle Creek Unisex RFID Blocker Hidden Pocket that has loops for your belt and slips inside of your pants. Worked perfectly to carry our passports, cash, credit cards, etc and hardly noticed it. Easy to pull out if needed and secure when tucked inside the pants. My wife commented a number of times she wish we knew about it for all prior trips.

I also may have gone overboard for extra security but I took the Travel Security Money Belt with Hidden Money Pocket. Basically a fabric belt that has a long skinny hidden zipper compartment, I kept emergency cash, copy of our passports and travel itinerary in it. It was my belt for the trip, it worked great and looked great.

I found Amazon had way better prices than REI and no cost returns.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.

ram

Post by ram » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am

J295 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Eddie Bauer Travex
Meets all your requirements.

Note: some of the credit cards offer reward miles and also include a statement credit for global entry application fee. I can't recall off the top of my head which cards had this feature, but I know some did and we took advantage of it. Should be easy to find on google.
Chase Sapphire Reserve does this. Costs $450/yr. Net 150 after $300 travel credit.
Ram

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 pm

penumbra wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 pm
jaxbmw wrote:
They are back. Based on the reviews here, I decided to pick up two pair. I am headed to Europe this week, back Friday. To China on Monday, back Saturday. Then in a few weeks later, headed to Germany on Sunday, back Friday.

I'm going to give these a go for a bunch of really long flying and see how they go!

protagonist

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by protagonist » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.

As per the 80/20 rule, I hope I am not grossing some people out by saying this, but a quick rinse of shirts and underwear in the tub, assuming no stains, and then hanging to dry, works wonders. If you have quick drying clothes you hardly have to pack anything. You can travel for weeks or even months that way and your clothes still look and smell fresh. This only really adds five or ten minutes to your daily routine and beats having to carry more than you need and spend a day of your holiday in a laundromat. Detergent/soap is not really necessary unless the clothes are really dirty- just a bit of elbow grease around sweaty areas. If you don't believe me, try it at home as an experiment. If my sweetie can't tell (and she can't), I guarantee that you will also be satisfied.

ps.... Unless you are going to Alaska in the winter, make sure your travel pants have zip-off legs.

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am

If you are going to some place like Italy or Greece with a lot of really old, cobblestone sort of streets, I recommend a sturdy pair of hiking shoes - i.e. something harder than sneakers. The repeated uneven surface puts lots of strains on parts of your feet, and I got feet pain after a week walking on those without appropriate shoes.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am

ohai wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am
If you are going to some place like Italy or Greece with a lot of really old, cobblestone sort of streets, I recommend a sturdy pair of hiking shoes - i.e. something harder than sneakers. The repeated uneven surface puts lots of strains on parts of your feet, and I got feet pain after a week walking on those without appropriate shoes.
I bought a pair of the Ecco Track 25 shoes last year for a trip to Italy. These are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. They are expensive, but very well suited for cobblestones. They are sturdy, waterproof, and although not exactly dressy, look good enough to wear with any type of travel clothing. On one of our days in Venice, I logged over 20,000 steps in these without any foot problems.