How do you keep a calendar?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kacang

Re: How do you keep a calendar?

Post by kacang »

For years we used a monthly paper calendar on the kitchen noticeboard, but we kept forgetting to write in events. Now we use Google calendar - easy to color code & automatically sync with other calendars to see schedule conflicts, eg. our work and kid's school uses Google calendar as well. I also had a erasable wall calendar for the annual view, but got rid of that when I found I refer to it less and less, once we started using Google calendar.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Another paper wall calendar user. Used pages go into the file for record keeping. It's worked for me for a long time and I don't have any intention of changing now. E calendars only work if you enter things and then actually look at them.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I use a AT-A-GLANCE Desk Calendar size 3 1/2 x 6 inches, you flip the page over each day. You can buy the stand one time and then just buy the refills each year. I also use a wall calendar with the large square space for each day to write in important reminders. I usually can get the wall calendars free. I also use the little calendars that usually have advertising on the top part and you can peel off the back and stick it to your dash or refrigerator. I get these free from businesses. All of these are paper calendars. I don't like electronic calendars.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I use Google Calendar with Fantastical as the front end on my iOS devices. Works well for me, and it allows integration with my Kayak trip planner (a separate layer) and lets me share events with my wife.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Like others, we use Google Calendar with multiple color coded calendars. We use it on both iOS and Android and also the web without syncing issues. I can’t remember the last time we bought a paper calendar.
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I never kept a paper calendar in my life. I actually used to keep it all in my head! Now we simply use Apple's calendars and "invite" the family so it appears on all devices. Have done this for years. It is easy and works.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Afty

Post by Afty »

letsgobobby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:43 pm What do people mean by layers and multiple color codes?
In Google Calendar at least, you can create different calendars for different kinds of appointments and set different colors for them, share them with different people, set different access levels, etc. For example, we have separate calendars for our kids activities vs. home stuff vs. work events. My wife and I share access so we’re aware of each other’s appointments and can schedule around them without having to talk first.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Afty wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:54 pm
letsgobobby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:43 pm What do people mean by layers and multiple color codes?
In Google Calendar at least, you can create different calendars for different kinds of appointments and set different colors for them, share them with different people, set different access levels, etc. For example, we have separate calendars for our kids activities vs. home stuff vs. work events. My wife and I share access so we’re aware of each other’s appointments and can schedule around them without having to talk first.
This. Look for "Add calendar" on the web version. You can hide/show whichever "calendars" you want at once. This won't help print a year at a time (the year calendar doesn't show actual events), but you can do a monthly this way. I would print out monthly calendars using this method.

Personally, I have a widget on my phone home screen that tells me what is upcoming and have no use for printed calendars. The widget also bring me to a month view if needed.
jgdsss

Post by jgdsss »

Working on this now. Does anyone print out a week at a time?trying to see which app would let me maintain electronically (so I can schedule out,do repeating events, home maintenance tasks, etc) but print a week at a time, I’d do it each Sunday night just for “chore” type things during the week.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

jgdsss wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm Working on this now. Does anyone print out a week at a time?trying to see which app would let me maintain electronically (so I can schedule out,do repeating events, home maintenance tasks, etc) but print a week at a time, I’d do it each Sunday night just for “chore” type things during the week.
"Printing out" isn't the idea.
At least for my level of detail.
I suppose if you had appointments every 30 minutes then printing a copy makes sense.
But I'm a retiree and have various events and don't want to schedule something else on top of what I already have 12 or 18 months in the future...
Attempted new signature...
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

letsgobobby wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm I’ve been using Google Calendar for the last year. It works, but I need something different.

What I really want is an app that lets me choose a single page “full year” view and then print it. I created a Google Sheets spreadsheet which works - Months on the left column, Repeating days of the week across the top row - and it’s easily printed on a single page. But I can’t use it online as a calendar, what I mean is I can’t enter an event starting on Jan 3 that continues to Jan 10. Also, this sounds like a minor detail, but I want the numbers in the top of each cell with the events in the bottom. And to top it off, I only want the really important events to show up. Not dentist appointments and such, but “vacation March 5-15” or “Meeting in the city on April 7-8”. Things which would block out my whole day and require me to be somewhere else.

So perhaps what I’m looking for is a calendar which lets me note which events I want to show up on my yearly view, and which only show up on the day or week view.

Any suggestions?
I've used Google Calendar for many years and can't imagine using something else because it can be shared with others. Let's see if we can come up with a solution to your concerns.

If you want to enter an event which runs from January 3-10, you'd click on the start date and then click on the end date. Those dates then have a band which encompasses the whole week.

Regarding prioritizing events, you can have sub-calendars, if you like. I can enter dates under the category of "Vacations" and then enter other dates under "Routine Due Dates for Bills." There's no reason why you couldn't also call a sub-calendar "Important and Not to Miss." If you have repeat events each month or year, Google Calendar allows you to have recurrent events at the interval you'd like.

I'm not sure there's a way to view the entire year at a glance but you can definitely do it for the month, and you can selectively have your sub-calendars show up if you need that. You can also share your sub-calendars with anyone you want (e.g., I can share the work schedule with colleagues, and then another sub-calendar with spouse, etc., etc.).

I don't know if this would answer your questions, but if you have other specific questions, I can help you work through them if you think you'd like to try.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Sorry. I didn't read the whole thread.

This is under My Calendars. You can name multiple Calendars and assign them different colors in order to view them at a glance. It's on the left side of the calendar.
jwkde

Post by jwkde »

I use the Outlook Calendar along with the icloud app. So my pc, phone and tablet are always in sync