How to set android phone to send phone solicitors directly to voice mail.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

How to set android phone to send phone solicitors directly to voice mail.

Post by tc101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 pm

With an android phone, how can you set it so that calls from people not in my contact list go directly to voice mail without a ring?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

mhalley

Re: How to set android phone to send phone solicitors directly to voice mail.

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm

There are many call blocking apps. Should I answer is one
.Should I Answer is not your average call blocker. It’s able to block specific numbers or all phone numbers except those in your contact list, sure, but the real hook is its extensive database of known telemarketer, scammer, and premium rate numbers. When you get a phone call, Should I Answer shows a brief description and user reviews of the incoming number, plus the option to leave a rating of your own or add the number to a private block list. Should I Answer also features some of the most robust call-blocking features of any app in its category. It can automatically filter calls from hidden numbers, premium numbers, foreign countries, and numbers below a certain review threshold. Perhaps best of all, the aforementioned features work offline. The app saves a small copy of the ratings database locally.
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Only my spouse has my cell phone number. I simply don't answer any calls that aren't her.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

There is no way for an Android phone to only accept calls from your contact list, and send the rest to voicemail, unless you use a 3rd party app.

You can stop calls not on your contact list from ringing, so if they stay on the line they'll end up in voicemail. Simply set Priority Only, and pick Calls from contacts only, as well as alarms, reminders, events, and messages.

That MAY work for you.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm
Only my spouse has my cell phone number. I simply don't answer any calls that aren't her.
Agree. If the phone number is not in my Google address book, I simply decline it.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm

If you have an Android with the ability, you can chose to screen the call and an automatic response will answer and then transcribe the caller's response so you can tell if they're a real person or a spammer.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm

I turn on, do not disturb.
Then under allow exceptions, I allow calls from my contact list.

Done. Now just calls from people I know come through. :D

Of course if someone's calling from a pay phone or using someone else's phone it would be blocked also.
So there is a downside.

Hope that helps.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Flymore wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Of course if someone's calling from a pay phone or using someone else's phone it would be blocked also.
So there is a downside.

Hope that helps.
Pay phone?

Reminds me of "The Voice" where the kid sang Jim Croce's "Operator". When interviewed, he had no idea what an operator was.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I like the app Mr. Number

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 pm
Flymore wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm

So there is a downside.

Hope that helps.
Pay phone?

Reminds me of "The Voice" where the kid sang Jim Croce's "Operator". When interviewed, he had no idea what an operator was.
Wow, didn't know that.
Walking through the airport the other day, there still are pay phones there! :D

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Most telemarketers won't leave vmails and will just keep calling. I choose to sue them

Bitzer

Post by Bitzer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 pm

I use youmail. You have to switch over to their voicemail, but the advantage is that youmail prevents spammers from leaving a voicemail which I find annoying to clear.

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't allow voicemail either ... I consider having to access and listen to voicemail even worse than a solicitor calling ... just send a short text, or message or voice-recording-in-whats-app.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

Most telemarketers won't leave vmails and will just keep calling. I choose to sue them
Seriously?
Have you ever won a suit?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 am

I just did that. Quick and easy. I'll let you know if there are any problems.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:35 am

Seriously?
Yes, very serious.

The TCPA is a federal law that covers it, 47 USC 227 or the telephone consumer protection act and you can get up to $3,000 per call.

State laws can be even better, for example NC has a law that is a flat $500, for the first violation $1,000 for the second violation and $5,000 per for the 3rd and subsequent violations. So if you get 10 calls and have them documented, you can get something like $41,500 and since the law is per VIOLATION and not per call, you could potentially stack multiple violations per call as applicable...plus whatever you can get from Federal law.

Obviously, facing 40k+ in damages plus attys fees plus another potential 30k in Federal damages brings most people to the table rather quickly, so while I have won a few lawsuits, most, like 90% settle or go to a default judgment. I think an industrious person could easily bring in a mid 5 figure amount without really knowing what they were even doing and a low to mid 6 figures if they really applied themselves.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislatio ... cle_4.html

A telephone subscriber who has received a telephone solicitation from or on behalf of a telephone solicitor in violation of this Article may bring any of the following actions in civil court:

(1) An action to enjoin further violations of this Article by the telephone solicitor.

(2) An action to recover five hundred dollars ($500.00) for the first violation, one thousand dollars ($1,000) for the second violation, and five thousand dollars ($5,000) for the third and any other violation that occurs within two years of the first violation.

(c) No action may be brought under subsection (b) of this section if the violations are a result of mistake and the telephone solicitor either made the telephone solicitation under G.S. 75-103(a)(1), (2), (3), (4), and (5), or can show that the telephone solicitor complied with G.S. 75-102(d).

(d) In an action brought pursuant to this Article, the court may award a prevailing plaintiff reasonable attorneys' fees if the court finds the defendant willfully engaged in the act or practice, and the court may award reasonable attorneys' fees to a prevailing defendant if the court finds that the plaintiff knew, or should have known, that the action was frivolous and malicious.
Last edited by totallystudly on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 am

totallystudly wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:35 am
Seriously?
Yes, very serious.

The TCPA is a federal law that covers it, 47 USC 227 or the telephone consumer protection act and you can get up to $3,000 per call.

State laws can be even better, for example NC has a law that is a flat $500, for the first violation $1,000 for the second violation and $5,000 per for the 3rd and subsequent violations.

I got a check for $40something recently because I had reported a number to DoNotCall and the feds sued the company and won.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 am

totallystudly wrote:
Seriously?
Yes, very serious.

State laws can be even better, for example NC has a law that is a flat $500, for the first violation $1,000 for the second violation and $5,000 per for the 3rd and subsequent violations. So if you get 10 calls and have them documented, you can get something like $41,500 and since the law is per VIOLATION and not per call, you could potentially stack multiple violations per call as applicable...plus whatever you can get from Federal law.

Obviously, facing 40k+ in damages plus attys fees plus another potential 30k in Federal damages brings most people to the table rather quickly, so while I have won a few lawsuits, most, like 90% settle or go to a default judgment. I think an industrious person could easily bring in a mid 5 figure amount without really knowing what they were even doing and a low to mid 6 figures if they really applied themselves.

A telephone subscriber who has received a telephone solicitation from or on behalf of a telephone solicitor in violation of this Article may bring any of the following actions in civil court:

(1) An action to enjoin further violations of this Article by the telephone solicitor.

(2) An action to recover five hundred dollars ($500.00) for the first violation, one thousand dollars ($1,000) for the second violation, and five thousand dollars ($5,000) for the third and any other violation that occurs within two years of the first violation.

(c) No action may be brought under subsection (b) of this section if the violations are a result of mistake and the telephone solicitor either made the telephone solicitation under G.S. 75-103(a)(1), (2), (3), (4), and (5), or can show that the telephone solicitor complied with G.S. 75-102(d).

(d) In an action brought pursuant to this Article, the court may award a prevailing plaintiff reasonable attorneys' fees if the court finds the defendant willfully engaged in the act or practice, and the court may award reasonable attorneys' fees to a prevailing defendant if the court finds that the plaintiff knew, or should have known, that the action was frivolous and malicious.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 am

I got a check for $40something recently because I had reported a number to DoNotCall and the feds sued the company and won.
Although possible, it is very unlikely that this is the chain of events that happened. The feds rarely sue based on DNC complaints and even then rarely obtain money on behalf of consumers, most likely it was a payout on a TCPA class action. Sometimes the FTC will sue and they will obtain funds and pay restitution, but the damages recovered are typically very, very low compared to the harm caused.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 am

Unfortunately, the largest volume of spam calls originate internationally from what I understand - where US laws can't touch them. But it's great that some of you have gotten retribution via lawsuits on domestic calls. I've reported a bunch to DoNotCall. But many of the same players just change numbers and keep calling.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am

totallystudly wrote:
Seriously?
Yes, very serious.

Very interesting information. Being an NC resident, I'll have to start getting restitution for my time these Jokers have wasted.

Does this apply to spam calls to my work phone as well? I can't really screen my calls on my work phone as customers will be calling me and I don't have a list of their numbers (attorneys office caller ID shows up, but many attorneys call me from a cellphone and not their office phone).

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 am

Unfortunately, the largest volume of spam calls originate internationally from what I understand - where US laws can't touch them.
True that many calls originate overseas, but there is almost always a domestic US company that is selling products/services. Just have to social engineer your way to the US company/product. I sue companies that hire overseas callers all the time.
Very interesting information. Being an NC resident, I'll have to start getting restitution for my time these Jokers have wasted.
Yeah, you pretty much can't afford not to pursue the calls at $5000 a pop.
Does this apply to spam calls to my work phone as well? I can't really screen my calls on my work phone as customers will be calling me and I don't have a list of their numbers (attorneys office caller ID shows up, but many attorneys call me from a cellphone and not their office phone).
Strictly speaking it could be problematic if they challenge your standing, but you probably could successfully sue/negotiate a settlement. If this is a company you own, there are companies that have sued for these types of calls.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am

Most of the caller numbers are spoofed. How do I figure out who the caller really is so I can sue?

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 am

You can install apps but there are lots of privacy issues with apps, so I don't install them.

I rarely answer my phone if I don't recognize the number. The only time I might is if I'm expecting a call-back from someone, and then I'll usually answer only if the number seems appropriate (e.g., if I'm expecting call from dr, then same prefix as dr's office).

I have 2 android phones.
Once I get a call that I do not recognize, and am fairly certain is spam, one the one phone, I can block either calls, or messages, or both from that number. On the other phone, I can only block the number.

People who are spoofing your number usually try to spoof your telephone prefix (first 3 digits of 7 digit phone number). When I set up these numbers, I deliberately entered a zip code within a hundred miles of me, but not my zip code. I know no one with my prefix, nor do I have any contacts with my prefix. Thus, if I get a call from my prefix, I know it's pretty safe to block. Sometimes I'll wait and block it only if I get a 2nd call within a couple of weeks.

You can put the number in google & sometimes you'll get hits back that show you the number is a known spammer, etc. (You can report such numbers to online sites). Other times, you don't find out much, or you might identify the number as a local business you know, etc.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 pm

I think an industrious person could easily bring in a mid 5 figure amount without really knowing what they were even doing and a low to mid 6 figures if they really applied themselves.
I am pretty skeptical. If that was correct more people would be doing, word would spread, and spam calls would stop.

One person mentioned they got $40, which was probably the result of a class action suit.

Other than that, what are the actual dollar amounts anyone here has gotten from suing spammers? Please don't be vague or theoretical. Actual dollar amounts you have gotten, and how much effort you put into the suit.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Most of the caller numbers are spoofed.

True
How do I figure out who the caller really is so I can sue?
Talk to them, play along as if you are an interested customer, buy the product, set up an appointment, or do whatever you need to do to get documented evidence of who is calling you via emails or exchanging of money for which you can do a chargeback dispute later after you get the product.
I am pretty skeptical. If that was correct more people would be doing, word would spread, and spam calls would stop.
You have really high expectations for people, but it is correct and several books have been written on it. People are lazy and people are stupid. Everyone wants things done for them and very few people want to put in any sort of effort to get any results. Most people are too lazy to even walk around the block despite the documented health benefits of exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Sue-Telemark ... 0615338178

Chasing telemarketers requires sustained effort over days, weeks, or months or potentially years and potentially filing suit on your own or writing letters to companies, patience, negotiation skills and some public speaking. It isn't for most people.

Have you ever tried to pursue a telemarketer? Why not? It could be a useful exercise for other skeptical folks.
Other than that, what are the actual dollar amounts anyone here has gotten from suing spammers? Please don't be vague or theoretical. Actual dollar amounts you have gotten, and how much effort you put into the suit.
Do understand that most settlements are confidential, so many people are going to be leery of putting exact specifics in the public domain.

That said, I have had settlements as easy as an 8k wire transfer the day after a call for 4 calls if memory serves. That is very unusual with the speed that it happened. A "quick" settlement for me is 1-2 months. I just took over $25k from a guys financial account from a judgment I obtained. Total time was about 6-7 months from filing to the levy. I haven't received the check yet, but I have received notice of the funds being held from the financial institution, so I should get paid in another 2-3 weeks or so. I'm happy to wait.

Typically from filing to settlement it is 3-6 months during which I might spend 5-15 hours, max. Writing a complaint takes maybe an hour or two. Other than that, I file in court, which is $400 in Federal to $20-30 in small claims, which I would avoid in most cases, State courts are usually $2-300 to file in. You mail it off or give it to a process server and wait. You wait 2-3 weeks and then get "the call" usually from someone who wants to settle. They will often throw out a lowball offer of a few thousand and you have to decide to accept or reject it. You can try to negotiate or push the case forward to scheduling conferences and then some basic written discovery. At this point there will again be a discussion about settlement and so forth. The more evidence you have, the easier it is to usually convince the other side. If you have recorded calls and access to your call records, that helps a lot vs "I know you guys called me" or some paper log of calls. I usually send all that stuff over early on so they have it and know what they are up against.
One person mentioned they got $40, which was probably the result of a class action suit.
Most likely.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:17 pm

In your call log, press and hold the number you wish to block, a menu should up up w/ options...on my current phone (most recent version of Android) one option is 'block number'. On my older Android phone one option was "Add to Autoreject List".

Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 am

I use an app called Dialer One as my 'phone'. You can easily add those numbers to a 'blocked' list and after that they never come through. I get several such calls a day.