Avoiding Dealership for Replacement Honda Pilot Key

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
k3vb0t

Avoiding Dealership for Replacement Honda Pilot Key

Post by k3vb0t »

Ugh.

I've got a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L.

I've lost one of the two keys -- not a clue, as I thought my wife had it and she thought I had it -- the key has unlock/lock buttons for the door, as well as a button to open the back hatch.

I haven't called the dealership yet, but from what I've read getting a replacement key programmed at the dealership can be pricey ($300-500). I'd like to avoid this if at all possible by ordering a replacement key online and programming it to the car myself. I've seen videos where you can program the lock/unlock for the car pretty easily, but getting the key cut and the key chip mapped to work on your ignition is another thing entirely.

Is this even possible or am I just sunk?

Also, how long do you let something like this bother you before moving on... really bothering me right now to have literally thrown away a couple hundred dollars (potentially).
Mike Scott

Re: Avoiding Dealership for Replacement Honda Pilot Key

Post by Mike Scott »

Call the dealer and get a new one while you still have one to use. Then you can feel bad again if you find the lost one. What else are you going to do?
annebert

Post by annebert »

You don't have to get keys from the dealer. Google "car key replacement" or "car remote replacement" to find private companies that do this for less than dealers.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Bit the bullet and get a replacement key. If you lose all the keys on some cars that can be even a lot more expensive. Get several since it should not cost a lot more than just getting one made.

It was a Honda Fit but I ended up buying two replacement keys on that were the Honda Brand, not knockoffs. Then had a Honda dealer cut the key and program the car for around $75. When I did this they would not guarantee it would work since I did not buy it there. I would stick with the Honda Keys and not try to use some other brand.

That was a couple of years ago but at that time locksmiths could not make Honda keys.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Do you still have the valet key? If you just need another to unlock and start I am quite sure that will work. I believe the key will NOT unlock the glove box and you may want to check your manual to find out exactly what it can be used for. I have a Tile on both of our keys and while I don't have to use it much, it does come in handy when it is needed.BTW, I have no affiliation with the Tile company.
ustf

Post by ustf »

I did not go to the dealer. I had them done at a full service locksmith for half the cost. About $180 for one car and $120 for another car.
While it is possible to buy the key fob over the internet for even less and have it cut and programmed at the locksmith, they say they can guarantee their work only if the key fob is purchased from them.
I bought it from them and had them cut/program it. I have had no problems with the keys for more than a year now.
They ask that you bring in all available keys so they can wipe and reprogram them all.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I think they make them at ACE Hardware.