golf clubs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
beech grove

golf clubs

Post by beech grove »

Any thoughts on best value in buying new golf clubs?
theta

Re: golf clubs

Post by theta »

I’ve had very good luck with eBay, both with new clubs and used. My preference now is to buy clubs about 3 years old, with lots of reviews from real golfers.
Talisker

Post by Talisker »

Callaway has website for used, like new clubs.

Prices very good, and my clubs had never been used.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

beech grove wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 am Any thoughts on best value in buying new golf clubs?
How often do you play and do you have an established handicap? Knowing this information will help guide you in the general direction of what types of clubs to select. Take a glance at 2018 Hot List | Best Golf Clubs & Balls - Golf Digest. Notice their categorization of irons into game improvement, super game improvement, players and players distance. Which category would describe your game?

I would highly recommend getting a golf pro whom you trust to fit you for a set of clubs. A pro long ago also gave me this sage advice, if it looks good to your eye and feels good in your hands you'll probably hit it well with those clubs. If you don't like how the club looks and feels, then it doesn't matter how technically good the club is, you'll never hit it well.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
corysold

Post by corysold »

It all depends on how much you play and what your goals are.

If you play 5 times a year and don't really care about your score, look on eBay, clearance in the fall at sporting goods, garage sales, craigslist, etc. Any full set that fits less than 10 years old is perfectly fine.

If you are trying to improve your game and play often, it's worth getting fitted. Find a good local fitter and get the specs for your clubs. They might suggest a certain set, a certain length, certain loft/lie, etc. Then you can price them, but more likely go online and look for a deal for the clubs they suggested. It adds a little cost upfront, but golf clubs can last a long time and unless you are extremely gifted, practicing your swing will make a much bigger difference than getting the "latest" club every three years.

Well fitted clubs and a good practice routine and you can go 10-15 years easy between sets.
fjfino

Post by fjfino »

I completely agree with Pec. Inv.

Determine what your rough budget may be and best to have a general idea of what your handicap is.

Find a place that will let you hit "everything" and ideally get on a launch monitor to better understand your swing attributes. Many places allow you to do this for free.

This years models will also command a 10-20% premium..but if you find a brand and model you like then its very likely last year's model will be a good value comparatively. (Callaway "Pre-owned" and Taylormade "Pre-owned" are good sites to check out and have some excellent values and the clubs can be found "like new").

Also, are you looking for an entire set or just new irons?
(Clubs are typically sold as "iron" sets and the "Big Sticks" (Driver, fairway woods) are typically sold individually.
The "hybrids" often times come as part of the iron set.

Good luck and enjoy the great game of golf!

Fred
Stay the course
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Last year I replaced all my clubs except the wedges and putters with TaylorMade (M4). Very happy with the clubs, customer service and advice. Also, they had a military discount for veterans (15%) and a very convenient trade in program that reduced the cost. You can probably get a higher price for old clubs on eBay, but, that requires a lot of effort. I did it all the transactions online.
TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 »

I've always had great experiences with https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Typically my experience has been that the "Like New" category clubs are brand new, except maybe have been hit once or twice at the range to test them out. Most golf companies are going to be releasing their new clubs for the year over the next 2-3 months so their older models will probably go down in price significantly
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

The best value is usually in clubs manufactured 2 or 3 years ago. These are often offered on sale by retailers and can be a good value. One caveat is that clubs vary according to shaft, weight, swing, swing speed, age and other factors. BTW, getting the right shaft for you is really important. It may not be obvious to you what is best for you. That is why I recommend talking to a pro or club fitter. There are also some good sites on the web that can help you understand equipment differences.

I am not a big fan of these swing analyzers but they do provide some useful information. But beware of the pushy salesmen who probably know what they want to sell you before they see you swing.

I use a local clubmaker/fitter who is extremely knowledgeable and very low key in trying to sell me something, which is very refreshing. Two years ago I got golfer's elbow (tendinitis) and it lasted a year which limited my golf. Over 70, I decided it was time to go all graphite with shafts. I went to my clubmaker. He asked lots of questions, had me hit some balls, and thoroughly examined my clubs. He tested the shafts and weighed them. He recommended graphite 7-8-9-w-u irons, a 6 hybrid and gave me an option of new Ping driver or keeping my own. He said a new Ping driver would only be a marginal improvement over my 10 year old driver. He said my other hybrids and fairway clubs were almost as good as most new clubs, even though they were manufactured about 10 years ago. That was a surprise to me but speaks to the so called advancement of clubs. I had bought most of these clubs at retailers on sale when they were 2 or 3 years old. His recommendation is an eclectic mix of clubs, 7 new and keeping 6 of old clubs, but a good solution for me. It cost me $800 for the 7 clubs as he gave a good discount on all of the Pings. I had went to 2 large retailers previously and both had tried to sell me complete new sets of irons and woods at big price.

It may be hard to find someone like my clubfitter but it is worth a try. Too many people selling clubs in golf shops (pros excluded) are not that knowledgeable and more incented to make a sale than sell you what you need.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

Really depends on where you are at in your golf adventure. If brand new get some used maximum forgiveness clubs. If you have been playing a while and improving then some player improvement clubs, if you have been playing for a long time you wouldn’t be asking. Callaway preowned is a great place to shop (they are also on e bay). Many golfers recommend club fitting, if you are approaching a 12 handicap or below club fitting would probably help your game, but it is costly. My main recommendation if you are just starting out is to get lessons. It will eliminate a lot of frustration in playing. Also, play the shorter tees, golf is much more enjoyable when you are not hitting your fifth shot into the green on a par 4. Finally, if just starting buy cheap two layer balls, you will be losing a lot of balls, but finding a lot in the woods when looking for your original ball. Good luck and play well!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

beech grove wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 am Any thoughts on best value in buying new golf clubs?
1. Lessons from a PGA pro to establish consistency (if not already).

2. Get fitted by a pro. IE: Ping, Titleist, etc.

3. Best quality you can afford.

4. Like a great pair of shoes, a set of golf clubs that "fits you" will last for many decades depending on frequency of play. And, help your game. The monetary value over time is great as you will not be buying more clubs and more clubs in a search for playability and fit, etc.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:49 am 1. Lessons from a PGA pro to establish consistency (if not already).

4. Like a great pair of shoes, a set of golf clubs that "fits you" will last for many decades depending on frequency of play. And, help your game. The monetary value over time is great as you will not be buying more clubs and more clubs in a search for playability and fit, etc.
I agree completely with Sandtrap, assuming your intent is to play regularly:

1. Lessons from a good professional are important. Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean they're any good -- sadly, there are bad pros out there, teaching outdated and long-since discredited golf theories (slice is always because the face is open, putting is the most important, you gotta hit the fairway, etc).

2. Most OEMs will fit you for new clubs, often at no additional charge. I took up golf in graduate school and it wasn't until last summer that I finally have been fit for every club in my bag.

3. Absolutely. If you're looking for bargain, you can go to Golfworks and get Ralph Maltby clubs -- and his are good, and a lot less expensive. Just the same, there's a reason I have a bag of (mostly) Ping clubs.

If you can afford it, and the price is appropriate for how often you plan to play and your goals in doing so, get new, or at least get used clubs that fit what you know your specs to be. A friend of mine, fairly unathletic, went with whatever used irons looked nice to him... and doesn't understand why the X100 shafts in his irons aren't right for him.

4. Nothing to add.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Clever_Username wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:49 am 1. Lessons from a PGA pro to establish consistency (if not already).

I agree completely with Sandtrap, assuming your intent is to play regularly:

1. Lessons from a good professional are important. Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean they're any good -- sadly, there are bad pros out there, teaching outdated and long-since discredited golf theories (slice is always because the face is open, putting is the most important, you gotta hit the fairway, etc).

2. Most OEMs will fit you for new clubs, often at no additional charge. I took up golf in graduate school and it wasn't until last summer that I finally have been fit for every club in my bag.

3. Absolutely. If you're looking for bargain, you can go to Golfworks and get Ralph Maltby clubs -- and his are good, and a lot less expensive. Just the same, there's a reason I have a bag of (mostly) Ping clubs.

If you can afford it, and the price is appropriate for how often you plan to play and your goals in doing so, get new, or at least get used clubs that fit what you know your specs to be. A friend of mine, fairly unathletic, went with whatever used irons looked nice to him... and doesn't understand why the X100 shafts in his irons aren't right for him.

4. Nothing to add.
Excellent comments.
Also:
1. Once you have your swing "grooved" and your clubs "fitted" and everything is working well for you: consider sticking with a PGA Pro "coach" that fits you over the duration of your golf experience. Monthly or 2x yearly "tuneups" will greatly increase your playing consistency and, perhaps, enjoyment of the game.
2. Value wise. #1 will keep those fitted clubs, "fitted".
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I'll admit I've never been properly for for my clubs. I started playing golf seriously 5 years ago. I've started to swap out some clubs and tweak others. I've messed around with a lot of clubs at the PGA tour superstore so have a rough idea of my specs and what feels good. So until my full bag upgrade maybe in a few years, where I will get fit, I've been doing a combination of:

CPO (like new)
Budget golf closeouts
eBay (check out ksouth9, tee2green6931)

If you must have the latest and greatest, you can buy gift cards for Callaway (not CPO) for 70 cents on the dollar off eBay. So the new Epic Flash would come out to $367.50 before tax and shipping.
NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy »

I've had the same Ping Eye 2 irons for 30 years, but update drivers every 5-7 years. Callaway has great deals on refurb woods, they look exactly like new for sometime less than 1/2 the price of new.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

Totally agree with everyone talking about getting fitted. No need to add anything there. But if you are a novice and want NEW, Tour Edge is a reasonable option. Touredge.com.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

There is no way I would advise someone just starting out to get fitted. That can be a large expense for someone who may not even enjoy playing and gives up the game. Lessons are much more important and can be fairly cheap in a group. If after a year or so you are still playing and loving the game, then think about club fitting.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

I agree with the others, OP - There's not enough info in your post to guide you. The advice to someone who's never swung a club in his/her life would be very different from the advice to the veteran with an established handicap who's in a climate to play year-round and has been doing so for decades....
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.