Hawaii vacation, any recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Dear Bogleheads,

DW and I are planning a 7 day vacation to Honolulu next month. I'm thinking about buying Costco package for flight+hotel+car but open to other suggestions. Any recommendations/tips for where to buy air tickets/ where to stay and what to do while there will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

AZAttorney11

Re: Hawaii vacation, any recommendations?

Post by AZAttorney11 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Do you have to spend all 7 days in Oahu? There's so much more to Hawaii than Oahu.

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm
Do you have to spend all 7 days in Oahu? There's so much more to Hawaii than Oahu.
No, not necessarily. Been to big islands before but open to suggestions.

Tom

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 pm

^One could do excursions to other islands in a single day. Example: Get picked up early at hotel, taken to airport, fly to big island, get picked up, tour Volcanoes National Park with guide, get dropped off at airport, fly back to Oahu, get picked up and driven back to your hotel.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

What's your vacation style? Do the Costco deals give you the sort of lodging (hotel, AirBNB, condo, etc) that you would want?

If you're planning to mostly hang out in tourist areas with the occasional expedition out e.g. to Pearl Harbor, consider skipping the car - you'll pay way more to park it than you will to Uber/Taxi wherever you want to go. If you're exploring the whole island and planning to try to hike all the things, the car will be worthwhile.

Honolulu is a real city. For some people that's a plus (tons of cultural options, zoo, aquarium, Waikiki, tons of restaurants, tons of night life). Is that what you want for your trip? (It's a fun city, but it is a city). At the same time, if you're after WW2 history, Honolulu is really hard to beat.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

You should be aware that the USS Arizona memorial is closed until mid-March (at least) for repairs to the ferry dock. You can get out of Honolulu if you rent a car for a couple of days, which we typically do. I recommend picking up a copy of Oahu Revealed - it will give you lots of suggestions on what to do, where to stay and where to eat. Maui, however, is by far our favorite island.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Just returned from Kauai. We really loved the island's natural beauty. Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast (via boat tour) are stunning. Poi Pu beach on the south was calm and surprisingly, Hanalai Bay on the north shore was swimmable too. If you are looking for natural beauty, you probably can't beat Kauai.

Eating out is very expensive. For this reason, I'd consider getting a VRBO with a kitchen and cook at least half of your meals, unless money isn't a concern for you.
Last edited by fortfun on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

I always buy air ticket direct from the airline, much cheaper. For my trip, I paid $119 each way per person on Hawaiian Air. Too good to be true, yes, every year, you just watch the sale in fall for Fall and Spring travel. For hotel, I used trivago, shows the best prices for the site. For car rental, I used Costco travel. But if you’re in Honolulu you don’t need a car rental. There’s a cheap bus from the airport to Waikiki for less than $2. If you’re senior citizen you get a discount. Bring your Medicare card.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 pm

I went skydiving one time - that was awesome. There are one or two skydiving operations at north shore. If that isn't your thing (or you are too heavy - I was 235 pounds then and that's near the limit) . . . I also went on the Atlantis submarine tour at Waikiki. It was pretty neat, but I've heard you see more cool stuff at the Maui/Kona sub locations.

I stayed at Waikiki when I went. It was nice and luxurious but very city/touristy and I will try to find something different, farther from city and more low key, if I ever go back.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 pm

To me, the outer islands are far more appealing than Oahu. Outside of Pearl Harbor and urban sprawl, everything else one desires to do in Hawaii is available elsewhere at a relaxed pace and far more conducive to vacation and relaxation.

What kind of activities do you typically like to do on vacation?
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Try to squeeze in more than 7 days.

Even if you are on the west coast it is a long flight there so it makes sense to stay longer if you can.

If you are not on the west coast and can only take 7 days I would consider going to Mexico instead. From much of the US you can catch an early flight and be on a Mexican beach by the afternoon.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 am

Three days in Honolulu. Four days on Kauai. It is the oldest of the islands, and the most beautiful. It is called "The Garden Island." Many movies filmed there, from "South Pacific," to "Jurassic Park."

One road circles the island, excepting the Napali Coast -- which only accessible by boat or hiking trail. Gorgeous!

We used to go every year -- we were married on Lumahai Beach.

The North Shore (Princeville) is wetter, but greener. The South Shore (Poipu) is dryer, but blander.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 am

Oahu: take the tour of Kamaka ukuleles, free and fascinating. Golf?—superb courses. Hike Diamondhead. Fort Derussey museum and beach. North Shore. I find lots of great things about Oahu!

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 am

Costco package is fine, can also piece it together yourself, I like using google to compare flights and hotels as well as costco, then usually book directly from airlines or hotel or thru costco. As for what to do, or even what island to visit, totally depends on what you want. On oahu you can do anything from laying on the beach, skydiving, 5hr hikes, etc. If you're looking for the tropical hawaiian vacation that you see advertised, probably Maui or Kauai is a better bet. Don't be mistaken, there can be crowds and traffic at some parts of these islands as well. If you want lots of dining options, shopping, don't mind the hustle of a city, some crowds or asian tourists(I know people who've commented about this), then Oahu works too.
Last edited by fasteddie911 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

brokenrecord

Post by brokenrecord » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 am

I’ve only been to Honolulu. However, I imagine that knowing what I know about it, I would choose another island I’ve already been to than Honolulu for the first time. It’s very commercialized.

bhchica

Post by bhchica » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am

This was years ago, but we went to Kauai and Maui. Stayed in condos on both islands. We were out and about most of the day, so we were eating out almost every lunch and dinner, but it was nice not to have to eat out for breakfast too. So much natural beauty. Enjoy.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:07 am

Go anywhere that’s not Oahu. Honolulu is just a big, hot city, and most of Oahu is either Honolulu or a suburb of Honolulu. If Oahu was the only island we had ever been to, we would never have gone back. We personally like the north shore of Kauai best, because it’s quiet and beautiful. A lot of people prefer more nightlife, though. YMMV.

Get an Airbnb or VRBO. Food is expensive and you’ll save a lot of money by using the kitchen to make breakfast and lunch (and possibly some dinners). And you’ll have more space to spread out. There are loads of vacation rentals for reasonable prices.

Rent a car. No matter where you go, you’ll need a car.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:01 am

I found Oahu beautiful and having a large (not nice though) city has it's own advantages. North part of the island is worth at least a visit.
But I do prefer Kauai and north shore is the best. However in the winter if you want to swim, snorkel etc you will end up mostly on the south shore, which is 1h of commute. If I went in winter I'd prefer Poipu, not Princeville etc.
In Kauai it's interesting to visit the places were Jurassic Park was filmed, but you need a Jeep for that.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

We went out West to see a movie on Saturday and had dinner in Ko Olina. On the drive home, my daughter and I had a conversation about why people come to Oahu for vacation, what our favorite islands were, etc. so it is interesting that this is a topic today.

You don't mention anything about what you like to do, etc so I'll tell you what we decided: we'd only ever come back to Oahu to change planes and would go to Maui and stay in Wailea at the Four Seasons if we were going all out or at the Marriott (in Wailea) if we weren't. We decided we'd split our time between drinking Mai Tai's by the pool/beach and go for a hike or two or if it were now, take a whale watching tour and would also go surfing.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I was an Army brat and started school in Oahu (stayed there 2 years). I got married on the North Shore in an eloped wedding and have taken our boys back for Spring Break (once to Oahu and once to Maui).

Say what you want, Oahu is not that bad. Definitely don't stay in Waikiki or anywhere in Honolulu. Stay on the north shore.

Do
There are plenty of hikes, sail plane riding, shave ice in Halewa, surfing lessons on the north shore, pristine beaches (Kailua Beach Park is my favorite. Soft white sand, great water.) Hike Diamondhead, snorkel Hanauma Bay. Drink Mai Tai's, go to Honolulu's China town and eat. Eat fresh pineapple every day. Snorkel every day. Eat shrimp at the food trucks near Halewa. Each picnic lunches...they are fine, but not great. Pearl Harbor is very interesting.

Don't
Luau's are nice...but overpriced and just OK. Wakiki is not good...ever. Dole pineapple tour is a tourist trap...but do it if you really want to know about pineapples.

You do the above on Oahu and it will wet your appetite to go back to the islands. Don't spend time jumping from island to island.

(Take me with you!)

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Thank you all for your replies. The main reason we are going is my wife's best friend is going to be there during that time (I have learnt its easier to just say "Yes Ma'm", than to fight :P ). All we are looking for is some time off from work and just relax and explore a new place. We were in Big Islands 2 years ago and just wanted to try something different. Based on all of your recommendations, may be we will try Maui next time we go.

Tommy!

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Have absolutely nothing to do with Honolulu. It is simply the world's most expensive traffic jam. In fact, depending on where you are flying out of you may wish to simply fly to Maui or the Big Island.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Sans Souci Beach. Just steps past Waikiki but way less crowded and actually some pretty good snorkeling.

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Visited Oahu and the Big Island last year. Most awesome part of the trip was the helicopter tour to the volcano that left from Hilo. That was before the eruption but I'm guessing it could even be more awesome now if the tours are still running. Getting close by car or on foot, as we also did, could be more problematic.

Stayed on Waikiki beach in Oahu. Obviously a crowded place, just like the rest of the island, but pretty interesting place to visit nonetheless. Reminded me a bit of Las Vegas but with lots of Japanese restaurants.

teerup

Post by teerup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Adding Hanauma Bay State Park. Beautiful beach & snorkeling.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 pm

You can take just regular bus to Hanauma Bay from Waikiki. It’s beautiful place to snorkel. There’s nothing in Waikiki, but it’s concentrated and you don’t need a car. In fact you don’t need a car in Waikiki unless you want to go to the Northshore.

MiddleGround

Post by MiddleGround » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Are you ready to have some fun?? Get a convertible from Hertz, etc at the airport, get to your hotel--maybe off H1--we stayed near Airport to save some money, relax, have some huli-huli chicken. Get some rest for tomorrow.

Here goes a nice agenda:

Day1--sight seeing and swim, depart by 0800--ALL DAY
Get on the H1 and head to Hanauma Bay/Toilet Bowl, swim/sight see. There is a $1 or $2 parking fee and about $5 per person to enter the park, you have to see a film as well, then go to the beach. Leave there, turn right and go towards the Halona Blowhole lookout, photo ops, go down to Halona Cove, you have to climb over the guard rail next to the parking, swim if you like. Leave there, turn right and head to Makapu'u Beach, it's just past Sea Life Park, more photo ops. Head home. ****Or climb Diamond Head, but start very early in the morning. Then do everything else above, if you have energy left. :-) *******

--For dinner, recommend eating at the Moanalua shopping center

Day2--sight see, busy day--depart by 0800. Get on the H3 (very scenic drive), head towards the Macadmia Nut Farm--check hours. Leave there, turn left and head to the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples (Japanese replica, Pear Harbor was filmed there), get your namaste. There is an entry fee here as well, I think it's $2 per person. Leave the temple, turn right and go to the Pali Lookout Point. Head towards Hwy 61, (Pali Hwy), pay close attention for you can miss the road. You will be driving south on 83 from the temple, get on the 63, loop around to get back on 83 south which will take you to the 61 towards Nu'uanu Pali. While on the Pali Hwy, watch for signs towards Nu-uanu Pali Drive, get off there and head to Pali Lookout Point.

--For dinner, Moanalua shopping center, Ward Village Center, or Aloha Tower

Day3--The North Shore, drive, swim, LONG DAY-depart by 0730. Get on the H1, then H2, head to Matsumoto Shave Ice gift shop, have some treats and move on towards Waimea Bay Beach Park, get on the cliff and FLY off the rocks. Parking is there at the beach or across the street in various people's driveways, prices are fair to park there. Leave there, turn left go about 300 yards, turn right and park at Waimea Valley, small entry fee. Go there and walk towards the water falls. Leave the valley, turn right and ride on the Kam coastal Hwy, you will pass "North Shore Beach", 3 tables bch (nice spot), pass by the Turtle Bay Resort, you can stop in and look around if you like. Just past the resort, approx 2 miles you will see the Fumi's Shrimp Truck, you MUST STOP and EAT there!! Get the shrimp garlic or spicy shrimp garlic, you will thank us later. After eating, continue on towards Laie Beach park, it's tiny, stop there for photo ops, nice beach! Continue on and you will pass the Polynesian Cultural Center. Head towards H3 to H1, then hotel, take it easy rest of day.

Day4--This is normally heading to the Arizona Memorial but it is closed for repair. After the memorial, head down the street to Aloha Stadium swap meet for ALL your souvenirs. It is only open on Wednesday and Weekends. Do not buy souvenirs anywhere but here, unless you happen to see something very special elsewhere, but most standard souvenirs will be available here. You can consider doing Koko Head park as a substitute. Great Views and much easier than Diamond Head! :-)

--For dinner, Tanaka of Tokyo East--in the King's Village--call for RSVP
Waikiki area. There is a small sub-ground parking garage available on Kaiulani Ave, across from the King's Village.
Arancino di Mare--call for RSVP (waikiki) there is parking available by the Honolulu Zoo.

Day5--RELAX--hang out in Waikiki, see the sights, photo ops, rest for Paradise Cove Luau (Ko'Olina) 45 min drive. Must get LUAU tickets early, at least prior to your departure to HI.

--Other options:
Polynesian Cultural Center, ALL DAY event
Sea Life Park, ALL Day event
Kualoa Ranch and Zipline, ALL DAY event
Iolani Palace, 1/2 Day event

ALOHA!
"Fund your future, every month." ---Me

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am

If your wife insists then can't really say no. In that case, you can stay around waikiki. It's crowded and traffic in the center, but the edges are quieter with good access to restaurants shopping in the area. Some place like Ala Moana hotel, Prince hotel, the modern, etc. Other options are Ko Olina which is resort-y and isolated and turtle bay which is far out by north shore. I'd recommend against airbnb, especially those in the more residential areas. It's a contentious issue with locals, many of who already have issues with tourism.

For places to eat and things to do, yelp/google, there's no shortage of online recommendation and it depends on what you crave, of course asian food is strong there. Waikiki, I think you should walk around there at least once to see what it's all about, crowded with tourists, good shopping and food, beach is crowded, but you can venture towards Royal Hawaiian hotel, Halekulani (house w/o a key is nice for snack/lunch) or Hilton Hawaiian village area. Ala moana center for shopping. Pearl Harbor. North shore, hanging on the beach w/o parking in driveways despite what someone else said. Stopping by haleiwa town for shops/food, looping around towards turtle bay(walk around, eat, beach), shrimp trucks and continue down the windward side. Laie point lookout can be nice, polynesian cultural center, Kualoa ranch. Loop back into town via scenic H3 keeping eyes on the road, pali and pali lookout, or continue thru kailua. Kailua being a town with shops/food and nice beach, residential town but more touristy nowadays. Continuing around the island towards Makapuu lighthouse "hike", possibly whale sighting in the spring. Blowhole then onto Hanauma bay for snorkeling. I'd avoid koko head hike, it's no joke and people get injured or rescued all the time. Diamond head lookout is nice and hiking up diamond head is popular. KCC farmer's market is also popular. Of course, you can pick and choose and break this up into various days.

Depending where you stay and want to do, rent a car, don't waste time on the bus, either rent your entire trip or parts of it. Also, don't try to find hidden gems or get off the beaten path, if people or tourists aren't there, I'd avoid it. Some areas your car may be more likely to be broken into, some beaches are deceivingly dangerous to inexperienced folks, same thing with hikes, etc. Oahu has 1M people with the accompanying development, housing, traffic, etc., so don't be surprised it doesn't look like the postcard.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm

I found more high end restaurants in Maui, the food is better than Waikiki. Some Islands you can get rainy weather for days. Not my way to spend my vacation. We were in Poipu in late April and early May time frame, it was rainy and depressing.

sco

Post by sco » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 am

I'd spend the 7 days on Maui and day trip to maybe 1 other island if I wanted. I wasn't impressed with Oahu.

You should see Pearl Harbor, but that is 1 morning. Get there early.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:05 am

Just got back from a wonderful 7 days in Maui, there are a lot more golf courses in Maui. If you like golfing, I would pick Maui. Plus whales watching here in Maui is just spectacular in Jan/Feb. But 7 days is all I want, I start to miss home cooked meals after that.

emkute

Post by emkute » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm

IMO, the best way to visit Hawaii is by cruise ship that visits multiple islands. Try Norwegian. Not cheap.
Every day is Saturday except for Sunday which comes around every now and then

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you all! I appreciate your advice and time..

Tom

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:46 pm

There are PLENTY of relaxation spots on Oahu. I've lived here for almost 2 years now. (and there are still places on Oahu I still need to go/explore...)

If you think Oahu = Honolulu + Waikiki, then yes you'll not want to come here. But there are many other spots/areas that are still worth while and relaxing. Kailua (though it is pretty crowded now), Laie, North Shore, or the West side or central oahu are all really nice spots. There are a HUGE ton of places to go to on Oahu...7 days is barely enough to scratch the surface. But many people when they travel to Oahu simply go to the top dozen places and get crammed into a Waikiki hotel and plop down on the super crowded waikiki beach and get a bad taste in their mouth of Oahu impression. Understandable. But realize Oahu has ton more to offer than the typical touristy spots. Same can be said of the other islands. There are touristy areas and less crowded areas.

Though neighbor islands are going to be less crowded overall, you can find beaches that's not AS crowded. But Kaanapali beach on Maui is about as crowded as you can get outside of waikiki.

My favorite is Big Island. Great diversity of areas: incredibly snorkeling, great off-roading adventures, waterfalls, telescope/astronomy on top of Mauna Kea, active volcano (if its flowing...which its not right now), and you can still go to a typical mega touristy resort area up by the Kohala coast, lava cave tours, great beaches, incredible hikes, etc.

One thing I highly recommend is getting a series of books called Oahu Revealed (Maui/Big Island Revealed, Ultimate Kauai Guidebook) by Andrew Doughty. Incredibly detailed, insightful, and lot of spots to get you out of the tourist crowd. In fact I have a copy of the Oahu and Maui book in my living room now. Gonna do some more sight seeing this weekend.

Also if you haven't seen whales, do it now. We are in middle of whale season. Lot of boats offer whale watch tours. Maui is the most popular place for whale watching as majority of whales are in the channel water right off of maui.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:23 pm

Given the 7 day limit:
Most to see and experience per day without getting tied up in gridlock traffic and city congestion.
Maui
Kauai
No Ka Oi :D
Aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 pm

For 7 days, I would stick with 1 island. PLENTY to see in 7 days on any of the major islands. Island hopping, to me, is quite tiring.

Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 am

I have been to all the islands of Hawaii; each has its charms. I just got back a few days ago from O'ahu. Stayed in a darling older bungalow (Air BnB) in a cute neighborhood walkable to Queen's beach, Diamond Head, and Waikiki. I really like the big city options of Honolulu (had some terrific food) plus the option of driving to different parts of the island for a more rural experience. Took a 6 mile round trip hike through the jungle to a beautiful waterfall with a very deep swimming hole. Went over the Pali Highway to Kailua twice--one of my favorite beaches anywhere, just beautiful in January. Bear in mind that which beaches are swimmable at any given time depends on the season. In winter the North Shore beaches have huge surf-not an option for non-surfers to even get in the water. In summer the south shore (Waikiki for example) has the big waves.

I think you can have a great time on O'ahu. Just don't let Waikiki be your only experience-see as much of the island as you can. Traffic can be a bit of a drag, so consult Google Maps or Waze or whatever app you use to monitor traffic before you get in the car. I prefer the rent-a-house (VRBO or Air BnB) scenario to staying in a hotel.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:17 am

tommy85 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm
AZAttorney11 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm
No, not necessarily. Been to big islands before but open to suggestions.

Tom
Kauai. Waimea Canyon. Puka Dogs. :D
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:23 pm

My favorite beaches for snorkeling on Oahu were Hanauma Bay and Three Tables Beach (on the north shore, just north of Waimea Bay before you get to Sharks Cove, Pupukea, Banzai Pipeline, Sunset Beach). Three Tables is a small beach with a fairly steep grade.

Beach

Post by Beach » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:40 pm

We stayed at the Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Oahu 12 years ago. Was amazing and loved being away from Honolulu. Rented a Jeep 4x4 and went exploring everyday. Don't know how much has changed since then.