GoPro Accessories

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mw1739

GoPro Accessories

Post by mw1739 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Can any Bogleheads with a GoPro share what accessories you use? I was gifted a camera for Christmas but I don’t know the first thing about it’s practical uses. The price of the official GoPro accessories are pretty high, but I don’t know that I want to trust my expensive camera to some junk off Amazon either. Things I’m interested in using it for:
- Snow Skiing
- Swimming/Paddleboarding
- Use it when the kids play sports, ride bikes etc.

Any accessories worth the extra money for the brand name?

GMCZ71

Re: GoPro Accessories

Post by GMCZ71 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 am

1. external hard drive, your computer will fill up fast so keep files on the ext.
Watch some youtube reviews on acc.
gorilla tripods --bolt and thread sizes will match your gopro
John

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 am

mw1739 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:31 pm
Can any Bogleheads with a GoPro share what accessories you use? I was gifted a camera for Christmas but I don’t know the first thing about it’s practical uses. The price of the official GoPro accessories are pretty high, but I don’t know that I want to trust my expensive camera to some junk off Amazon either. Things I’m interested in using it for:
- Snow Skiing
- Swimming/Paddleboarding
- Use it when the kids play sports, ride bikes etc.

Any accessories worth the extra money for the brand name?
Can’t speak for snow skiing and such, but K-Edge and Tate Labs both make durable, reliable mounting points for bike attachment

Don’t buy from small manufacturers, especially those hyping 3D printed mounts. The mounts are subjected to a lot of stresses and not allof the small manufacturers make products that stand up to those stresses. I had a camera get thrown off the bike, due to a small part breakinf

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

I bought a chest mount harness on Amazon for $7.95.

Used it the last time I went fishing and it did a great job of capturing video of me catching a fish from my boat.

I imagine this would be great for skiing and/or paddleboarding. Not so much for cycling. I have a handlebar mount for that.