Readers with Astigmatism

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Readers with Astigmatism

Post by aburntoutcase » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Does the Cylindrical and Axis component of the spectacles prescription for distance vision also apply to reading glasses? Most website where you can order readers just allow you to pick the power but I noticed that Zenni Optical also allows you to enter Cylindrical and Axis but I am not sure if they actually use that or it is just an error in the user interface.

Also if anyone has experience using multifocus readers please let me know your thoughts on them. I have been advised +1.5 for reading and +1.00 to +1.25 for working on a computer.

28fe6

Re: Readers with Astigmatism

Post by 28fe6 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Most cheap reading glasses only have spherical power and do not correct for astigmatism. They are only good for people with no astigmatism or with mild astigmatism.

My normal prescription only has cylindrical power. However I also have some "reading" glasses that have the same cylindrical settings as my normal prescription but +1 or +2 spherical for close-up use. Regular readers would not be good for me since they would not have the cylindrical correction that I need.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Try Glassesusa.com over Zenni.

Better quality but in that $50 to $100 range.

True readers are just the first number. Go with full prescription.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Post by aburntoutcase » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

My spectacle prescription is as follows:
OD: Sph -4.5 Cyl -1.75 Axis 180 Add +1.5
Dist PD 66, Near PD 64

I just ordered on Coastal.com and in place of the Sph I used +1.25 and omitted the Add. I used +1.25 instead of +1.5 because it works better for me when I am working with a computer instead of reading. I will be wearing contact lenses for distance correction anyway and these glasses will be for reading.

I was worried about the order taking a long time to process since it would not match the prescription I uploaded. Since one can buy +1.25 readers over the counter in stores I thought it would be OK to submit an order with a +1.25 power but cylindrical and axis per my prescription. I called customer service and they wanted me to put something in the Add field as well to match my prescription but I resisted because I believe that part would apply if I were ordering bifocals, which I am not.

To be honest I am confused if the order will be processed correctly but worst case I can send them back in 2 weeks and get my money back.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:32 pm

If I understand you correctly...you should try to stop the order.

The +1.25 is added to what is needed for the distance vision. So a -4.5 sphere + 1.25 is -3.25. Can get a little trickier when you consider cylinder because there are a couple of ways to write it. I am going to post this without a more complete discussion in case you can cancel your order now.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:32 pm
Can get a little trickier when you consider cylinder because there are a couple of ways to write it. I am going to post this without a more complete discussion in case you can cancel your order now.
I have astigmatism and farsightedness. In addition I need a reading prescription. I go with progressives and do fine with them.

So far as the base prescription goes, over the years I have seen a positive sphere with a negative cylinder and a negative sphere with a positive cylinder (at a 90deg offset). Mathematically, I know they are equivalent but I always wondered why it is done differently. It seems as though it depends on whether or not it is coming from and optometrist or an ophthalmologist.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

I have myopia, presbyopia and astigmatism. I had my optometrist give me a rx for reading glasses with the astigmatism correction. I wear progressives most of the day, but use the reading glasses if I am having a long reading session. Works great. If you had your refraction done fairly recently, see if your guy will give you a rx to use with zeni.

Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Post by aburntoutcase » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:56 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm
I have myopia, presbyopia and astigmatism. I had my optometrist give me a rx for reading glasses with the astigmatism correction. I wear progressives most of the day, but use the reading glasses if I am having a long reading session. Works great. If you had your refraction done fairly recently, see if your guy will give you a rx to use with zeni.
That is exactly what I have. One question, since I will be wearing the reading glasses over contact lenses, do I really need a correction for astigmatism since the contact lenses presumably are already doing that?

Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Post by aburntoutcase » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:32 pm
If I understand you correctly...you should try to stop the order.

The +1.25 is added to what is needed for the distance vision. So a -4.5 sphere + 1.25 is -3.25. Can get a little trickier when you consider cylinder because there are a couple of ways to write it. I am going to post this without a more complete discussion in case you can cancel your order now.
FYI I cancelled my order. I think since by default I will be wear contact lenses that already have an astigmatism correction, I should not have entered anything for cylindrical or spherical in my order. The eyeglasses will be worn on top of the contact lenses purely for reading purposes.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm

If you wear contact lenses then you probably don’t need rx readers.

Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Post by aburntoutcase » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 am

mhalley wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm
If you wear contact lenses then you probably don’t need rx readers.
Yes that is what I realized and I cancelled the order. Are there any sites other than Warby Parker that allow home try ons? Some of the sites don't disclose the bridge dimensions and what I have found is that even the difference between a 17mm and 19 mm bridge is pretty noticeable for me (19 mm preferred).

Topic Author
aburntoutcase

Post by aburntoutcase » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Also if anyone has thoughts on multifocus readers and good places to buy them I would appreciate it. My reading prescription is +1.5 and computer recommendation is +1 to +1.25 so these seem like a good product.