Duffel Bag vs Wheeled Stand Up traveling

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Duffel Bag vs Wheeled Stand Up traveling

Post by Keepcalm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 am

Talking to a guy who commutes to Asia multiple times a month for work. He said something that caught my attention. He said that die hard commuters are starting to trend towards duffel bags and look at traditional carryons as "stone age".

Has anyone seen any validity to this?

stan1

Re: Duffel Bag vs Wheeled Stand Up traveling

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 am
Talking to a guy who commutes to Asia multiple times a month for work. He said something that caught my attention. He said that die hard commuters are starting to trend towards duffel bags and look at traditional carryons as "stone age".

I stopped using my wheeled luggage 10+ years ago whenever possible. I've gone on up to two week international trips with a "carry on compliant" sized shoulder bag many times. Key is learning to pack light. I realized that I packed many things I did not need to cover rare contingencies. In a worst case situation if my shoes got shredded by an escalator mishap I'd go buy another pair (very unlikely my shoes would get shredded by an escalator).

Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am
Keepcalm wrote:

I stopped using my wheeled luggage 10+ years ago whenever possible. I've gone on up to two week international trips with a "carry on compliant" sized shoulder bag many times. Key is learning to pack light. I realized that I packed many things I did not need to cover rare contingencies. In a worst case situation if my shoes got shredded by an escalator mishap I'd go buy another pair (very unlikely my shoes would get shredded by an escalator).
How do you keep a suit decent in a duffel?

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am

We travel abroad and back 4 to 6 times a year if not more. We both check and carry on. Have not seen any signs of this having any increasing usage at all. There was a trend to hard case for awhile but traditional luggage seems to be as in as it ever was. Since our travels are 2 weeks at a time plus we pack inclusive of contingency items. If my shoes get shredded in an escalator I can't find a spare pair in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific. I could travel with a backpack or a duffel when I was a kid, but that was long, long ago.

captpete

Post by captpete » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 am

I travel 12 times a year. i use a duffle with wheels i dont like it

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am
stan1 wrote:
Keepcalm wrote:

What's a suit?

Serious answer is: packing cube inside the duffel bag, but if you are traveling to close a billion dollar deal I'd pack more carefully in a wheeled carry on with checked luggage. For work I was able to pack a sport coat that I could hang in the hotel bathroom while I showered and get by.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

I like combining the two - a carry-on-sized duffel bag, with a passthrough for the carry-on handles so that it can go on top of the wheeled luggage. This gets me almost as much capacity as two wheeled carry-ons and is very easy to move around airports. Just like in financial matters, it's not A vs B but how you coordinate the two! :happy

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 am

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 am
What's a suit?

Serious answer is: packing cube inside the duffel bag, but if you are traveling to close a billion dollar deal I'd pack more carefully in a wheeled carry on with checked luggage. For work I was able to pack a sport coat that I could hang in the hotel bathroom while I showered and get by.
Should have added I did have one place I travelled to that very much had a suit and tie culture. I checked a bag when I went there with a backpack as my carry on. Also had to take and come back with potentially heavy and bulky gifts which I did not have to do when visiting most other countries.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am

OP,

For check-in luggage, if your goal is to pack a lot of stuff that is light but take up a lot of spaces, duffel bag works very well. For example, clothes. And, once you packed on a lot of clothes in the duffel bag, you can mix in some fragile stuff by wrapping the clothes around that stuff. I moved my family of 4 across the world with 8 checked in duffel bags and 8 carry-on luggage.

Furthermore, duffel is soft and shrinkable. So, you could pack multiple duffel bags into one duffel bag. You cannot do this easily with hard luggage.

In summary, the duffel bag is very flexible.

KlangFool

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 am

I have gone to using primarily a duffel bag for a carry-on. I can almost always find a spot in the overhead, even if I am the last one on the plane. Worst case, I can put it under my seat, which I can't do with a rollaboard. I used to just do this on airlines where I didn't have status/boarding priority, but I've gotten so used to it, it's my go-to bag most of the time.

For dress shirts - I'll either just fold them and put them in the duffel bag or put them in a packing cube.

In the rare case when I need a suit, I'll bring my rollaboard which has a folding suit section.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 am

Back in the day, we were all very grateful to get rolling bags to replace the duffel bags we had, and stop destroying our backs by carrying a bunch of weight on one shoulder. I can’t see that going back to hanging that weight on our shoulders is going to get high adoption. There was a reason someone invented the wheel, and why it became so popular.

On short trips, one of those half size rolling bags that fits under the seat is a good thing.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am

We use a wheeled duffel while traveling as a family. I roll my clothes and use a space bag, and they don't seem to get wrinkled. I also carry a travel bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser just in case. You can always wet the wrinkles and use the hair dryer to pull them out if the room doesn't have an iron, or just ask the front desk where you can get your suit pressed.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:33 am

Used a duffel once because I thought it would be more convenient. Never again. Not worth the discomfort.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm

I don't know what trends are. But through several decades of travel I have used backpacks or soft luggage with shoulder straps exclusively. A really big advantage is being able to get luggage into overheads on commuter planes.

I have no idea what you do with suits. In my business a sports jacket and somewhat rumpled clothing is OK.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm

There are suggestions such as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Ou9O7wz2w

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 pm

I have traveled internationally numerous times strictly using a a carry on duffel. I use this collapsable light weight roller to roll the duffel and a mid-sized think tank camera bag around airports.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B ... UTF8&psc=1

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm

I refuse to use roller bags. The frame and handle necessary decrease your available volume significantly, add weight, and make it harder to put your luggage in a compartment.

I only travel with a single piece of luggage and a small "personal item" -- including for multi-week international trips. The only time I've checked luggage is when taking motorcycle gear for an international trip.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm

We travel VERY light and I like to have my hands free so I prefer travel backpacks. When we travel internationally my husband and I both use one of these as our only carry-on:

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/classic-backpack

We used that pack for even 2 week international trips, we just did a load of laundry each in the middle of the trip. Worked wonderfully.

When I travel domestically I take only my Ogio laptop bag I use for work too:

https://www.ogio.com/backpacks/gambit-l ... 04907.html

I love just getting off the plane and heading right out of the airport.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am
stan1 wrote:
Keepcalm wrote:

There are duffels with a garment bag that kind of wraps around the duffel. I don't know how effective it is in preventing wrinkles, but I have seen them.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Backpack.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:48 pm

A duffel bag or frameless backup will hold more than a wheeled bag of the same size. Some people love them as they can move quickly and don't have to contend with uneven sidewalks, moving through a crowd, impediments on the ground, etc. I think if you are a light packer and somewhat fit, it isn't a bad option. I am not that light of a packer and found it a pain, especially when stuck on layovers when I like to wander around bigger airports. Also, if in a long line to get through security, it is easy to move your wheeled bag every 30 seconds. With a duffle, not so much unless you are holding/carrying it the whole time.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Keepcalm wrote:

I use an "18 duffel back that fits perfectly under the seat in front of me. $10 at Academy, got mine on sale for $8. Works great, light durable and fast.
Last edited by lws6772 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:55 pm

If I'm planning to bring back liquids (vinegar, vanilla, olive jars, alcohol, ...) I bring a roller and check it for the return trip. Most of the time, an underseat duffel is sufficient.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Duffels are preferred for sailing trips.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 pm

It's true for me.
I have long used only a duffel bag that's about as big as can fit under a seat, as my only travel bag. I regularly travel to-from U.S. and Australia. The wheeled 'carry on' sized bags frequently run out of over-head room for storage and are not malleable enough to fit into the sometimes awkward shapes when people start putting odd-ball things in the compartments, the wheeled carry-ons frequently get nabbed at boarding and forced to become checked bags. Never had a problem with them trying to "check" my small duffel bag, and the worst case scenario if storage is tight, I put it under my seat.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Duffle users here, one of us with a Campor model, the other with some British unit. If you are doing any walking with cobbled streets, steps or the like you will really appreciate the duffel.

Plus the volume puts carry-on compliant rollers to shame.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 am

I don't travel for business, I like to travel light and I've drifted over to a smaller duffel that can fit under the seat in front of me. I put it overhead if there's space, but I also don't worry about getting an overhead spot. I feel that wheeled bags are limiting and sometimes cumbersome: changing directions, watching people's feet, lifting over obstacles, etc. I considered a backpack too but just don't care for the look and often don't even use both straps anyway, usually just throwing one strap on like a duffel.

Ben10

Post by Ben10 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 am

In the past year I replaced my roller carry on suitcase with a medium sized canvas duffel bag. I've used the duffel bag for continental and international travel. The main advantage is the flexibility of the bag, as another poster stated, it's easy to squeeze into an overhead compartment. On the downside is the weight of a packed bag. I always try to pack light, so it's worked pretty well for me.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 am

2018: 100,000 miles, 80 flights, 20 cities.

If it doesn't roll - or attach to something that does - it stays home.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm
We travel VERY light and I like to have my hands free so I prefer travel backpacks. When we travel internationally my husband and I both use one of these as our only carry-on:

We used that pack for even 2 week international trips, we just did a load of laundry each in the middle of the trip. Worked wonderfully.

+1 for the https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/classic-backpack.

Travel light = travel right.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

If you are going to spend a lot of time traveling I would not get a $10 duffel at Walmart. If you are maxing retirement accounts then put a little money into a Red Oxx or Tom Bihn bag with a good shoulder strap and handles. They'll also last for the rest of your life and maybe your heirs.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

^ FWIW, I use a duffel bag that was literally purchased at Walmart for about $10, I've been on well over a hundred trips with it over the past 7 years. It's still in good condition. I doubt anybody wants to inherit it though, I would have no qualms with throwing it away if need be and shelling out another $10 for a new bag.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 pm

The only trend is one which has been going on for quite a few years now and that is one strongly favoring hard-sided spinner cases. Hard-sided cases are the lightest and most durable you can buy. Spinner wheels are the easiest to move. Those things drive the market - weight, durability and mobility. Hard-sided has another benefit which is that it looks cool and clean. Check out the bag claim for a flight from Tokyo next time you have the chance and you will see some amazing luggage.

Duffels went out of style in the 80s. The name alone is nearly enough to turn most people off.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Trism wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 am

Exactly. How many of the people who are carrying a bunch of stuff on their shoulders are over 40? Or women? Or fly more than 100k?

I suspect very few.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm
Trism wrote:

Exactly. How many of the people who are carrying a bunch of stuff on their shoulders are over 40? Or women? Or fly more than 100k?

I suspect very few.
I've definitely flown over 100k, although I don't see how the distance flown is a factor... I would suspect most of the issue is with the quantity of trips, and with hauling the bag around the terminal, to each their own on that I guess.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Onebag.com is a good website for travelling and packing light. Here is its perspective on wheeled bags.
https://www.onebag.com/wheeled-bags.html

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
I've definitely flown over 100k, although I don't see how the distance flown is a factor... I would suspect most of the issue is with the quantity of trips, and with hauling the bag around the terminal, to each their own on that I guess.
You are correct. I misspoke. My main point is that I don't see a lot of people who actually fly a lot carrying duffel bags through airports.

It's all a compromise. I'll leave a pair of shoes at home to be able to have wheels. I had a "road warrior" job back when rolling bags were invented. They went from nonexistent to standard equipment for everyone in about a month. There was a reason for that. I'm not going back. Especially now that I'm older, and understand what slinging a heavy bag on one shoulder does to the back over time.

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Eagle Creek
I use the Eagle Creek for long weekend trips. The back pack strap works great for long walks through the airport. This bag squishes up nice, so no problem getting used as a carry on.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
How about over 60? No wheels hasn't been a problem so far, just the opposite actually. But yes, definitely in the extreme minority.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
Now I have to tell my wife she is too old and too female to use her carry-on with backpack straps. She will be sad.

When going on a slightly longer trip where we want to travel reasonably light, we take two larger carryons with backpack straps which go in the overhead bins, plus real backpacks that fit under the seat. And don't check anything.

Reasons for the non-wheeled carry-on is are 1) it definitely holds more stuff than similar sized rolling luggage and 2) as other have mentioned, if you are carrying your stuff over cobblestone streets, or other uneven surfaces rolling luggage suddenly becomes less appealing.

This decision is independent of how many miles we travel (not sure why you threw that in), it is solely based on what we need to take and where. Different people make different choices. That said, I don't view rolling luggage as "bad". The larger bags we check have wheels, and the day will come when we no longer want to use anything other than rolling luggage. But I suspect our trips will be less active in general at that point in time.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Our family of 4 is travelling to Asia later this year. Wheeled baggage is the choice for the parents in their 50's and a back pack and a soft suitcase that converts to backpack are the choice for the kids in their 20's.
After the urban part of the travel the kids are doing an extra week where they will be doing a couple of elephant safaris in parts of the world where the wheels would be of no use.
Ram

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm

lws6772 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
How about over 60? No wheels hasn't been a problem so far, just the opposite actually. But yes, definitely in the extreme minority.
When I was in my 40's I started doing more hiking and mountaineering on vacation. I needed to have a backpack so using it on the plane was natural. I continued to use the backpack for essentially all travel, including conference travel and (now) in retirement.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
I'm a woman. Not quite 40 but assure you I will still be travelling with backpacks then. So much better to be hands free. So much better to be able to check out at 11am, then enjoy touring around a city for a few hours before catching train/plane. If you can move around with all your stuff, not dependent on cars or luggage storage options, you can travel so much better.

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Mickey7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Elsebet wrote:

+2 on the Rick Steves' bag classic-backpack. We have taken ours to Europe a number of times and even used it to pact for all the clothes we needed to go to on a cruise to Antarctica

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Tom Binh’s Aeronaut bags are excellent non-wheeled bags. See, for example, URL https://www.tombihn.com/products/aeronaut-30.

That said, I also think there are excellent wheeled bags for those who prefer those. I prefer the two-wheeeled variant.

I travel with both types, depending on what and how much I’m carrying. I prefer a wheeled bag for longer trips or trips with formal clothing.

Andy.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 am

waxed canvas duffle all the way, through all my years of heavy business travel. I entertained the thought of a roller bag for a while, and we have a big one to use as a checked bag on long trips, but my experience is the disadvantages outweigh the pros. I can understand the appeal if one has fitness or mobility limitations, though. (The new 4-wheel spinner bags, however, make no sense at all.)

As to the OP's question -- in my experience, the guy you were speaking to is absolutely right. As overhead compartments get further and further compressed, more frequent travelers who want to avoid gatechecking are moving back to duffel-style bags or travel backpacks. I've gotten more questions about where I bought my bag in the past couple years, and I've been seeing more of them on flights, especially shorter domestics.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 am

On a short flight without connections I'll work with a soft non-wheeled bag of some sort, but if I have a connection I really prefer my small hard sided spinner. It doubles as a leg/foot rest when I'm waiting for my connection and that GREATLY increases my overall comfort...

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:21 am

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Trism wrote:

I suspect very few.
These are just metrics that establish how much I currently travel, which is how I formed my perspective and preference.

I could have conveyed the same idea in other ways.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 am

Board any business-person full flight and 95% of us still have wheeled roller-boards (as carry-on bags).
Perhaps there is a shift with checked luggage (since wheeled duffels are a bit lighter than wheeled rollerboards). Last few times I did have to check a bag I saw very few duffels there as well though.

I used a duffel for a while - but once I started having shoulder issues I went back to a roller-board.

But who cares what everyone else is doing - you should do what is comfortable and works for you.

praxis

Post by praxis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:40 am

Sage16 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:22 pm
Mickey7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Elsebet wrote:

+2 on the Rick Steves' bag classic-backpack. We have taken ours to Europe a number of times and even used it to pact for all the clothes we needed to go to on a cruise to Antarctica
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls ... d=10395044

Travel luggage is so personal, it's hard to offer advice. My wife and I have small rollaboards we used for years, but the more we traveled, the lighter we packed until we saw how convenient a very light backpack was for our type of travel. Listen to some of Rick Steves' guides' videos on light travel packing. Here's one of their many videos: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-l ... king-light

They might convince you. If not, that's fine. Most wheeled luggage works great in airports where they are mostly used. We travel to places with cobblestones and dirt and trains that don't run on time and itineraries that vary by whim. Having our stuff handy enough to take with us shopping in a market after leaving our lodging on the way to the airport or bus station is worth the process of paring down our gear. We regularly go on 3 week trips with 15 lbs each in our backpacks. It's a challenge we enjoy. The benefits last during the whole trip compared to lugging heavy luggage.

We got our ebag brand Weekender Junior bags on sale years ago and love them.

I traveled internationally for business for 30 years and tried many varieties of bags through the years. It is not hard to pack a suit so it's wrinkle free in soft-sided luggage (that is what duffles and backpacks are sometimes called by the travel industry).

If you can't decide, compromise. Get a wheeled duffle or back pack. They come in sizes small enough to qualify for carry-on luggage. Here's one:

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mot ... id=1325216

I see they are on sale this week.