failed skylights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
elisa

failed skylights

Post by elisa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 pm

In 2009-2010 my relative had a major renovation to a small house in HCOL area that changed a 1 ½ story house to full 2 stories, adding a bath, changing staircase, kitchen redo. Less then 10 years later, two top-of-the line skylights have failed, developing leaks around flashing, a cracked pane, and causing some water damage during recent rainstorm. A roof contractor has been engaged and recommended solution is partial rubber roof repair and replacement of the skylights. The priority is getting the repair done to prevent additional damage from winter storms. A search through the renovation files of nine years ago has not turned up a receipt for the purchase of the specific skylights. Any suggestions about how the homeowner might proceed with seeking recourse with manufacturer of windows while proceeding ASAP with the repair?

wilked

Re: failed skylights

Post by wilked » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 pm

What did the manufacturer say when you called them?

bigcmagor

Post by bigcmagor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 pm

I've been in the building material business for 36 years and in my experience, properly installed top of the line skylights don't leak. The glass failure could be from freezing infiltrated water that twisted the frame. It could also be from hail. Sometimes, the glass just fails. If they are Andersen, the glass may still be covered under warranty, but that's not going to help with replacing the units. Velux is the other premium skylight we sell and I've not seen a failure of either that was not attributed to improper installation. I'm sure there must be some examples however.

In any event, you're not going to get too far without a receipt.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

is the roof sloped or flat? When you mentioned rubber roof, it sort of suggested that it might be flat although a rubber membrane often goes along with skylight install. If it is a flat rough make certain that the scuppers and or any drains are clear and roof is pitched properly to the scuppers or drains. Good shedding of water will help with any upheavel that might occur with standing water near the skylight freezing.

Topic Author
elisa

Post by elisa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Thank you for feedback. The construction expertise is helpful for explanation and perhaps in repair.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm

The glass should have a serial number printed on it in one of the corners. Look for that and go from there.
Warranty may not be worthwhile any way, but after 10 years you have a better chance of getting a mfg to respond to a warranty than a local contractor.