SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Relatively behind the technology curve on smartphones but in recent search getting a better handle on what's available. Open to alternatives but here is what I am looking for though can't quite find:

<= $200 factory in sealed box
Android Operating System
Unlocked / unbranded phone, e.g. not purchased from AT&T store
4G LTE on AT&T pre-paid plan (many phones are 4G LTE in general but don't necessarily get 4G LTE in the US because they are not a branded phone)
32 GB+ storage
3 GB+ RAM
12 MP minimum camera
Hotspot works (have found several that are otherwise compatible with AT&T pre-paid but hotstpot does not work)
Short-click on headset mute button actually mutes the call (upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo has "flipped" the signal, must do a long hold on the mute button otherwise hangs up the call)
Dual-sim (least important, very much just a "nice to have")

Have found combinations of almost all the above but not a single phone with every single criteria. Interested in thoughts.

badger42

Re: SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Post by badger42 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Moto G6 is the phone that comes to mind.

If the G6 can't do what you want, in that price range you're probably out of luck.

However, I have zero clue about "Short-click on headset mute button actually mutes the call"

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm

OP, I'm not sure it meets all your criteria, but just FYI the Moto G6 is currently on sale at B&H Photo for $199.99. That price is good till 11:59 PM ET on 1/12/2019. Meanwhile, Amazon has it for $189.99 (Prime) and $199.99 (Standard). I'm guessing that Amazon is matching B&H's price, and that their sale will go away when B&H's does...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm
OP, I'm not sure it meets all your criteria, but just FYI the Moto G6 is currently on sale at B&H Photo for $199.99. That price is good till 11:59 PM ET on 1/12/2019. Meanwhile, Amazon has it for $189.99 (Prime) and $199.99 (Standard). I'm guessing that Amazon is matching B&H's price, and that their sale will go away when B&H's does...
To add, I just saw it a few minutes ago on Motorola's site for $199.
Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; | Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; | Thy fate is the common fate of all, | Into each life some rain must fall, | Some days must be dark and dreary. | Longfellow

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:08 pm

The Moto X4 is $165 at B&H (clip the coupon): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1357015

32GB storage, 3GB RAM. Unlocked even though it comes with a Republic Wireless SIM.

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm
catdude wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm
To add, I just saw it a few minutes ago on Motorola's site for $199.
And to add even more...if you dont want to wait, Best Buy will match the price online. We just bought one at our local Best Buy that way - showed them the price and they matched it without issue. Great phone for the price!

BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am

OP...
I have a MotoG5 that I purchased from Amazon for $180 around 18 months ago to replace an iPhone 5.
I did choose the "ad" version...these are fairly benign and the "ad-free" wasn't worth an extra $40.
It has all the features you mention, though I have yet to use the dual-sim.

Motorola/Lenovo uses a base version of Android that does not bring a lot of bloatware to the process, which was a big part of my decision. So was the expandable memory.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I will note that it does not get the same frequency of software updates/patches that I was used to with Apple...not that it's any more or less bug-prone, but with the multitude of Android variants, compared to a single version of iOS, it takes a long time for each manufacturer to update.

Switching from iOS to Android was relatively painless for me...but my SO hates when I hand her my phone to look something up or make a call, as she's still an iPhone user.

YMMV
Bob
Too much of everything is just enough...

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am

Just an FYI, almost all modern phones support hotspot functionality but the carriers can block it on their end. If hotspot isn’t included in your plan you likely will have a hard time using it without some sort of hack.

Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Still a few follow-ups per the below (I realize these are kind of technical for a finance-anchored forum, just struggling to get good answers elsewhere):

1) Any success with the hotspot working on these Amazon phones? Have had issues with hotspot not working on a G5 and G6 Play purchased through Amazon (these were Intn'l versions ... maybe I need to buy a US version). Yes, I have hotspot enabled on my plan. It was definitely an issue with the phones themselves.
2) What is B&H return policy?

staustin

Post by staustin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:47 pm

i have the moto g5plus... it's in the price range you mention. absolutely love the phone. highly recommend