SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Relatively behind the technology curve on smartphones but in recent search getting a better handle on what's available. Open to alternatives but here is what I am looking for though can't quite find:

<= $200 factory in sealed box
Android Operating System
Unlocked / unbranded phone, e.g. not purchased from AT&T store
4G LTE on AT&T pre-paid plan (many phones are 4G LTE in general but don't necessarily get 4G LTE in the US because they are not a branded phone)
32 GB+ storage
3 GB+ RAM
12 MP minimum camera
Hotspot works (have found several that are otherwise compatible with AT&T pre-paid but hotstpot does not work)
Short-click on headset mute button actually mutes the call (upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo has "flipped" the signal, must do a long hold on the mute button otherwise hangs up the call)
Dual-sim (least important, very much just a "nice to have")

Have found combinations of almost all the above but not a single phone with every single criteria. Interested in thoughts.

badger42

Re: SmartPhone: Does One Exist With these Parameters

Post by badger42 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Moto G6 is the phone that comes to mind.

If the G6 can't do what you want, in that price range you're probably out of luck.

However, I have zero clue about "Short-click on headset mute button actually mutes the call"

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm

OP, I'm not sure it meets all your criteria, but just FYI the Moto G6 is currently on sale at B&H Photo for $199.99. That price is good till 11:59 PM ET on 1/12/2019. Meanwhile, Amazon has it for $189.99 (Prime) and $199.99 (Standard). I'm guessing that Amazon is matching B&H's price, and that their sale will go away when B&H's does...
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm
OP, I'm not sure it meets all your criteria, but just FYI the Moto G6 is currently on sale at B&H Photo for $199.99. That price is good till 11:59 PM ET on 1/12/2019. Meanwhile, Amazon has it for $189.99 (Prime) and $199.99 (Standard). I'm guessing that Amazon is matching B&H's price, and that their sale will go away when B&H's does...
To add, I just saw it a few minutes ago on Motorola's site for $199.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:08 pm

The Moto X4 is $165 at B&H (clip the coupon): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1357015

32GB storage, 3GB RAM. Unlocked even though it comes with a Republic Wireless SIM.

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm
catdude wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm
To add, I just saw it a few minutes ago on Motorola's site for $199.
And to add even more...if you dont want to wait, Best Buy will match the price online. We just bought one at our local Best Buy that way - showed them the price and they matched it without issue. Great phone for the price!

BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am

OP...
I have a MotoG5 that I purchased from Amazon for $180 around 18 months ago to replace an iPhone 5.
I did choose the "ad" version...these are fairly benign and the "ad-free" wasn't worth an extra $40.
It has all the features you mention, though I have yet to use the dual-sim.

Motorola/Lenovo uses a base version of Android that does not bring a lot of bloatware to the process, which was a big part of my decision. So was the expandable memory.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I will note that it does not get the same frequency of software updates/patches that I was used to with Apple...not that it's any more or less bug-prone, but with the multitude of Android variants, compared to a single version of iOS, it takes a long time for each manufacturer to update.

Switching from iOS to Android was relatively painless for me...but my SO hates when I hand her my phone to look something up or make a call, as she's still an iPhone user.

YMMV
Bob
Too much of everything is just enough...

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am

Just an FYI, almost all modern phones support hotspot functionality but the carriers can block it on their end. If hotspot isn’t included in your plan you likely will have a hard time using it without some sort of hack.

Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Still a few follow-ups per the below (I realize these are kind of technical for a finance-anchored forum, just struggling to get good answers elsewhere):

1) Any success with the hotspot working on these Amazon phones? Have had issues with hotspot not working on a G5 and G6 Play purchased through Amazon (these were Intn'l versions ... maybe I need to buy a US version). Yes, I have hotspot enabled on my plan. It was definitely an issue with the phones themselves.
2) What is B&H return policy?

staustin

Post by staustin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:47 pm

i have the moto g5plus... it's in the price range you mention. absolutely love the phone. highly recommend

Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:18 pm

In case anyone is interested, I ended up with the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom which met all of my "parameters." Thanks for the inputs.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZE553KL-S62 ... 06XW6SJF8/

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Moto G6 will work with Sprint and Verizon too. You can get a cheaper Chinese phone that will work with ATT. Blu comes to mind.

Easiest way to get a deal is wait for Ebay to do a site-wide discount.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 am

I have had the US spec G5 Plus and G6 and the hotspot worked great on both of them. My teltik plan (T-mobile post-paid reseller plan) includes hotspot.

The G7 is coming out in the next month or so. It adds a new band for T-mobile (Band 71), not sure about AT&T. Some new bands are actually extended bands that incorporate older bands (Band 66), but can be nice because they are less crowded. The G7 has a better camera. In the G6, they brightened everything so low light pictures are much better. The G7 is supposed to add optical stabilization which will be a big plus. Many pictures I take with the G6 are blurry because it lacks this common feature.

Unfortunately, there are not affordable up to date US phones with all the bands and a dual SIM. I had an Axon 7 with both. There is a Nokia with them, but the search for having everything at a $200 price point continues.

howardforums.com is the best place to explore the most arcane cell phone questions.

Post by 2015 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 pm

staustin wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:47 pm
i have the moto g5plus... it's in the price range you mention. absolutely love the phone. highly recommend
Agreed! When I "upgraded" to my G5 is was from a first gen. It was like buying an almost entirely different device the phone had so much more functionality. The G5 really fits my needs, which is why I'm in no hurry to buy the G6. To get me to move from my G5 I'd be looking for the same type of gain in usefulness and functionality I received when going from the first gen to the G5.