Free Southwest Companion Pass for 2019

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
John Z

Free Southwest Companion Pass for 2019

Post by John Z » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

This has been posted under the long thread titled your credit card strategy so people may not see this. This is such a great deal that I think it should have its own thread:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southw ... lk=2488062

You spend $4000 in 3 within 3 months and get 30,000 points and a companion pass (flies free except for gov't taxes) good for all of 2019. You can't have rec'd a credit card bonus within 2 years, etc. You have to check the fine print.

More info at the "points guy."

pindevil

Re: Free Southwest Companion Pass for 2019

Post by pindevil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am

This is great deal. If you don't know about campanion pass do yourself a favor and read the points guy article.

In a nutshell:
1) Your campanion flies with you for free ANYTIME you fly and this benefit lasts until the campanion pass expires.
2) If you book your flight with frequent flyer miles you both fly free.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

The question is that do you have any pre-planned trips with Southwest in 2019 that can utilize Companion Pass? If so, how much of monetary benefit can this Companion Pass give you? I wish that it could extend until the end of 2020. I don't want just to spend more in order to utilize this benefit for just 2019.

Put it on the spreadsheet and it doesn't look like a good deal for me.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

Not as good of a deal as the other options for a CP pass. Do your research on reddit/churning

You can get a 50k bonus using an inflight link (posted online) for a priority, premier, or plus personal card.
And you can get a 60k bonus for the SW business premier card.
110k points and CP pass for 2019 and 2020

Or if you don't want to open business card (anybody can get one by the way)
Do the Modified double dip (standard double dip is dead where you could get 2 personal cards if you applied on the same day this is how I got my pass for 2018/2019)
SW personal card (plus, premier or priority) inflight link 50k
Next day but within 24 hrs apply for another SW personal card (a different one from the above) inflight 50k
10k in spend gets you to the 110k for 2019/2020 CP pass

Doing this recent offer for 2019 CP makes you unable to earn the CP with bonuses for 2020 because you can only get one SW personal card bonus every 24 months. With my suggestion you will ready to get it in 2021/2022 again without the high spend.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am
Not as good of a deal as the other options for a CP pass. Do your research on reddit/churning

You can get a 50k bonus using an inflight link (posted online) for a priority, premier, or plus personal card.

Do the Modified double dip (standard double dip is dead where you could get 2 personal cards if you applied on the same day this is how I got my pass for 2018/2019)
Next day but within 24 hrs apply for another SW personal card (a different one from the above) inflight 50k

Doing this recent offer for 2019 CP makes you unable to earn the CP with bonuses for 2020 because you can only get one SW personal card bonus every 24 months. With my suggestion you will ready to get it in 2021/2022 again without the high spend.
Wow, might have to look into this. :beer What's the "inflight link"?

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:04 pm

In-flight 50k links - Terms

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/r ... PROMO=DF01

Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card

Earn 50,000 points

Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.†

Rapid Rewards Plus CreditCard

Earn 50,000points

Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.*

Remember you need to be under 5/24 and can't be a current holder of a SW personal hard, or received a SW card bonus in the past 24 months to be approved for these. Also remember YOU HAVE TO APPLY ON SEPARATE DAYS BUT WITHIN 24 HRS and need the 1st application to be approved before you can apply for the 2nd - or else 2 applications will be pending at once and you will be denied.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 pm

If you are going the business card route - Keep in mind you will have to apply for the business card first due to chase 1/30 rule for business cards. The personal card can then be applied for since it falls under the 2/30 rule.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 pm

robertmcd wrote:

the new offer is a good deal if you don't want to play the "full game" as robertmcd outlined, and if you only care about the CP for 2019

otherwise doing the normal double CC trick to get the 110,000+ points and the CP for almost 2 years, is a much better deal and worth your time

I think they did this new offer to trick people into doing it for one year and skipping the lengthier 2 year plan, especially with Hawaii about to come online sometime this year

just got my 60k southwest premier plus business card today to start my CP plan!
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 pm

I've been meaning to follow up on this since I'd like a free ticket. Here's my 'research':
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-sou ... -new-year/

And here's my conclusion: This seems like a royal PITA no matter how you slice it!
- Must unfreeze my credit accounts
- Must open two new credit cards to reach the 110k miles
- Must meet the spend requirement (this is not the hard part)
- During the spend period I'll likely be earning zero on all my other cards (on $10k spend I'd normally earn $300)
- All that to earn a voucher worth maybe $500

Is that right?

I'm not into miles or points of any kind and prefer a hard cash bonus. It's much easier to see $500 in my bank account and then buy a $500 ticket. Talk me out of it if I'm wrong!

EDIT: Ok it seems you can use the CP over and over again! Sounds better :wink:
https://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/maximi ... trategies/

ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm

The free companion pass is for every flight you take in 2019, not just a voucher for one flight. It could be a free trip (except for government taxes) for your companion for dozens of flights in 2019.

The getting 110,000 miles is to get a free companion pass for next year - 2020. Again, your companion could fly for free (except government taxes) on dozens of flights with you in 2020. Of course, you don’t have to get the 110,000 miles for the 2020 companion pass if you feel that it is too much of a hassle.

J295

Post by J295 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:18 pm

As with most things, when it comes to rewards it “depends”

We have eight family members spread across the United States and Asia, and we pay for flights on holidays or when meeting someplace. So, we accumulate points to use for flights, or for upgrades on international flights ( The Chase Sapphire reserve and preferred are both generally good bonus plays, and we fly a lot on United so having that card provided not only the bonus but the free bags). In this case of this Southwest offer it makes sense for us to get three cards, one each for family members in three different US cities that have direct flights to and from each other. Will make it easy to visit each other, especially now that there is an 18 month old grandchild in the mix.

PS. For the $4000 spend we paid half the real estate taxes, including a convenience fee for using the credit card, and then pre-paid the health club bill and prepaid some electric service We wanted to get the $4000 spend in right away so that we could get the companion pass soon

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 pm

So I'm starting to see it.
1) The 30k offer + CP of the original post is good but it's only valid for one year. This is not the normal CP.
2) The approach of getting a 'business' card plus personal card immediately results in getting the 110k miles. THEN the CP is valid for all of 2019 _and_ 2020

That's very nice. I think I'll get this but I'll look more next week when I have time to read web articles.
(If anyone knows the correct procedure and links, feel free to post :beer )

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 pm
I've been meaning to follow up on this since I'd like a free ticket. Here's my 'research':
sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 pm
- All that to earn a voucher worth maybe $500
Pretty bad "research" if you ended up thinking you get a voucher of any type. Such a thing doesn't even exist with SW so not sure under how many spicy margaritas you were doing your research. :)
sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 pm
So I'm starting to see it.
1) The 30k offer + CP of the original post is good but it's only valid for one year. This is not the normal CP.
2) The approach of getting a 'business' card plus personal card immediately results in getting the 110k miles. THEN the CP is valid for all of 2019 _and_ 2020

That's very nice. I think I'll get this but I'll look more next week when I have time to read web articles.
(If anyone knows the correct procedure and links, feel free to post :beer )
Your research has improved!

You are correct ... there are now TWO different CP options to earn. The first one is brand new, easier to obtain (on purpose) but only good for one year (also on purpose, and far less valuable). I would skip that unless you have clear sight on several expensive flights only in 2019 and don't want to mess with opening multiple credit cards and all that.

The second is the standard CP "earning model" that is good for the rest of the year earned and the following year, considerably more valuable. You already have the "correct procedures" down from the points guy links you read. You need any combination of 110k points - typically done, if possible, in 2 fell swoops with the 60k point business card and a 40k or 50k point personal card. With the churn earned and the bonus points to automatically arrive at the needed 110k points to hit CP, and you have a ton of points to use on your own flights. I myself just received the 60k business card and am working through it, will then move on to the 50k personal card and do the same and voila, my wife is flying free for almost two years (I fly a lot for work). Once those Southwest Hawaii flights open up, this will be a tremendous value opportunity (and also why I believe they came out with the cheaper easier less value 1-year CP offer, to cut down on free 2-year companions with Hawaii about to launch.) As the two posters said above, it is always YMMV if you get enough value from Southwest and the CP bonus, along with all the points you earn doing the CC churns.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:04 pm
In-flight 50k links - Terms

Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.†

Rapid Rewards Plus CreditCard
Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.*

Remember you need to be under 5/24 and can't be a current holder of a SW personal hard, or received a SW card bonus in the past 24 months to be approved for these. Also remember YOU HAVE TO APPLY ON SEPARATE DAYS BUT WITHIN 24 HRS and need the 1st application to be approved before you can apply for the 2nd - or else 2 applications will be pending at once and you will be denied.
Thanks for your contribution/information.

And yes the more valuable CP is the 110k one since it works for rest of the calendar year AND a year following that.

Another quick question: it seems that in order to optimize/maximize time with the CP, you would ideally want the bonus to post as early in January of the year as possible, so that you get essentially almost 24 months of CP usage?

I assume with this strategy, you apply and get the cards say in November/December, meet the spend by early January and then bonus posts? I assume the CP time-clock starts when your bonus posts and it is NOT related to when your card was opened? (or if you can time even earlier...meet the spend by end of December, and then since it takes a few days for bonus/statement to close, you'll be eligible for the CP as early in January as possible)
Last edited by ginmqi on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm

ginmqi wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm
Another quick question: it seems that in order to optimize/maximize time with the CP, you would ideally want the bonus to post as early on 1/1/20xx as possible, so that you get essentially 24 months of CP usage?

I assume with this strategy, you apply and get the cards say in November/December, meet the spend by early January and see the bonus post? I assume the CP time-clock starts when your bonus posts and it is NOT related to when your card was opened?
you are correct. this is the most extreme optimized way to do it, if you can map it out correctly. clock starts ticking once the full spend hits, then the points hit your SW account, and you are awarded the CP...

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm
ginmqi wrote:
Another quick question: it seems that in order to optimize/maximize time with the CP, you would ideally want the bonus to post as early on 1/1/20xx as possible, so that you get essentially 24 months of CP usage?

I assume with this strategy, you apply and get the cards say in November/December, meet the spend by early January and see the bonus post? I assume the CP time-clock starts when your bonus posts and it is NOT related to when your card was opened?
you are correct. this is the most extreme optimized way to do it, if you can map it out correctly. clock starts ticking once the full spend hits, then the points hit your SW account, and you are awarded the CP...
Aha, I see.

Heh, I guess for someone who is able to meet the spend quickly/easily say in just a few transactions, or just a big fan of gaming/min-maxing the system, you could theoretically try to time to hit that spend right on the 1st business day of the year (1/1 or 1/2). Depending on how fast SW moves to award the CP.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm

ginmqi wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm
gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm
ginmqi wrote:

Aha, I see.

Heh, I guess for someone who is able to meet the spend quickly/easily say in just a few transactions, or just a big fan of gaming/min-maxing the system, you could theoretically try to time to hit that spend right on the 1st business day of the year (1/1 or 1/2). Depending on how fast SW moves to award the CP.
correct, although there is real risk in botching it and the spend hitting Dec 31 and all that, which blows your entire plan and affects 5/24 and so forth, so you would really need to have the spreadsheet dialed in and know your exact payment date and when everything hits. but probably more importantly, is it actually "worth it" to cut it that close, which is purely up to the user. If you have a cross-country flight you are going on Jan 5 and want to take your spouse, then sure, cutting it that close could be worth a free $500 cross-country flight. I doubt the average user is in such a situation, so you might as well start the process after Jan 1 to avoid any concerns. to each their own. I fly a lot for work, but usually not to the sexiest places for a spouse (silicon valley) so I am not in a huge rush per se to hit the CP, albeit I am trying to do it sooner rather than later to maximize potential as trips pop up. Largely I am doing it now because the cards are available and I anticipate them bringing Hawaii on sometime this year, so you should get 12-18 months potentially of CP status with Hawaii active if we are lucky.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm
correct, although there is real risk in botching it and the spend hitting Dec 31 and all that, which blows your entire plan and affects 5/24 and so forth, so you would really need to have the spreadsheet dialed in and know your exact payment date and when everything hits. but probably more importantly, is it actually "worth it" to cut it that close, which is purely up to the user. If you have a cross-country flight you are going on Jan 5 and want to take your spouse, then sure, cutting it that close could be worth a free $500 cross-country flight. I doubt the average user is in such a situation, so you might as well start the process after Jan 1 to avoid any concerns. to each their own. I fly a lot for work, but usually not to the sexiest places for a spouse (silicon valley) so I am not in a huge rush per se to hit the CP, albeit I am trying to do it sooner rather than later to maximize potential as trips pop up. Largely I am doing it now because the cards are available and I anticipate them bringing Hawaii on sometime this year, so you should get 12-18 months potentially of CP status with Hawaii active if we are lucky.
Indeed. No need to cut it that close for most people.

Oh yes, SW starting operations in Hawaii would most definitely make the CP quite lucrative. Though I wonder if there will be certain restrictions on that? I'm 1/24 and have some of the base Chase cards (CSR, CFU (PC'ed from CSP), CIP #1 and 2, CIU) and I only started about 2 years ago and haven't gotten really heavy into the credit card churning game.

So far haven't had a need to get the SW/CP just yet as we don't do much domestic flying on SW planes at this time. But does the CP also qualify for SW flights to mexico and other non-us destinations?

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 pm

ginmqi wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 pm
gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm
Indeed. No need to cut it that close for most people.

Oh yes, SW starting operations in Hawaii would most definitely make the CP quite lucrative. Though I wonder if there will be certain restrictions on that? I'm 1/24 and have some of the base Chase cards (CSR, CFU (PC'ed from CSP), CIP #1 and 2, CIU) and I only started about 2 years ago and haven't gotten really heavy into the credit card churning game.

So far haven't had a need to get the SW/CP just yet as we don't do much domestic flying on SW planes at this time. But does the CP also qualify for SW flights to mexico and other non-us destinations?
as it stands today, and one of the great things about Southwest in general, is there are zero blackout restrictions on the CP. You have a free companion pass, anywhere, anytime, you buy the initial flight ticket (you just pay the taxes). Period. I have used it to the bay area, and used it to Cancun. A CP ticket is a CP ticket, no matter where SW flies. So barring a disaster change of operation by SW, once they bring on Hawaii, it will be status quo and you can book your free companion all day long. Huge benefit. And realistically, yes Hawaii will prob be $500-600 ticket, but not much different than flying west coast to east coast. I've gone from SoCal to Orlando and Raleigh and paid that much. Cancun as well. So not like they will "lose" any more on Hawaii than many other legs.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:49 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 pm
as it stands today, and one of the great things about Southwest in general, is there are zero blackout restrictions on the CP. You have a free companion pass, anywhere, anytime, you buy the initial flight ticket (you just pay the taxes). Period. I have used it to the bay area, and used it to Cancun. A CP ticket is a CP ticket, no matter where SW flies. So barring a disaster change of operation by SW, once they bring on Hawaii, it will be status quo and you can book your free companion all day long. Huge benefit. And realistically, yes Hawaii will prob be $500-600 ticket, but not much different than flying west coast to east coast. I've gone from SoCal to Orlando and Raleigh and paid that much. Cancun as well. So not like they will "lose" any more on Hawaii than many other legs.
Oh wow that's truly incredible and truly a real companion pass, as you can take your companion anywhere you are going. That definitely makes it one of the most exceptionally valuable rewards in the so-called "churning" or "travel hacking" game. Very nice.

Clearly the finance guys at SW know what they are doing and I assume they are still getting more value by running the promotion and offering the CP than the people who are taking advantage of CP. I mean you are essentially ensuring the primary cardmember is preferring SW airlines if they want to take that companion with them.

And it looks like for SW, they are still sticking to the 24-month rule. So I assume you can potentially churn this every 24+ months or so. I wonder if they will really start to tighten the screws like Chase with their Sapphire product with the 48-month rule and Amex with their once in a lifetime rule!

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm

ginmqi wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:49 pm
gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 pm
Oh wow that's truly incredible and truly a real companion pass, as you can take your companion anywhere you are going. That definitely makes it one of the most exceptionally valuable rewards in the so-called "churning" or "travel hacking" game. Very nice.

Clearly the finance guys at SW know what they are doing and I assume they are still getting more value by running the promotion and offering the CP than the people who are taking advantage of CP. I mean you are essentially ensuring the primary cardmember is preferring SW airlines if they want to take that companion with them.

And it looks like for SW, they are still sticking to the 24-month rule. So I assume you can potentially churn this every 24+ months or so. I wonder if they will really start to tighten the screws like Chase with their Sapphire product with the 48-month rule and Amex with their once in a lifetime rule!
it really is that good, as long as there is availability on the flight, you can book the CP and just pay the nominal taxes.

honestly I think of the CP game a lot like gym memberships - you get a lot of people talking a big game about qualifying for the CP and doing all these flights, and most users probably get a couple free flights out of it, but nothing that really costs SW that much, since many flights have a few extra seats open, and thus the "free seat" really costs them nothing, right. a free drink and some pretzels. much like everyone makes a resolution to join a gym and go, and perhaps they go 10 times in January, but then only 10 times rest of the year, and the gym is still taking your $50 a month and profiting off you in the long run. Southwest will make money on you using that VISA and charging up the $3000 x 2 cards and hopefully using the card even after the churn is over. Plus all the revenue flights you book, in attempt to add and utilize your CP. As you said, obviously the bean counters have determined that there is far more profit, than not.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:10 pm

We had the Southwest CP last year. Fairly useful, though it supposes that you want to go places that SW flies into. One of the best features is that the "paid" ticket can be paid in miles/points. Most of the other airline "companion" offers, aside from being one-time certificates, also require you to buy the first ticket for cash. No blackouts is really nice as well. Note that you have to have one specific person as the designated "companion".

In the end, we probably got more value out of the Sapphire Reserve initial promotion (100K), but the CP was probably the next most valuable signup bonus we've done.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Indeed.

And with the signup bonus of 110k, I would imagine that's at least good for 2 or more round trip US domestic flights...maybe more if your dates are flexible and whatnot. So you can essentially get lot of couples traveling done in that 1st year.

I would imagine once they finally are able to start service to Hawaiian islands, that it will be quite popular and the round of bloggers/Youtubers will also be generating their respective revenue from that.

I've avoided the SW CP due to me working in Hawaii for the past 1.5 years and with no SW presence here during that time.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Is there any chance SW expands to more than just Central America/Mexico in terms of international destinations?

CP would be immensely valuable for trans-atlantic/pacific routes, but I assume the bean counters would've done their homework and this dream is likely too good to be true. (Not to mention the fact of expanding low cost air carriers to regular INTL destinations has usually not been very successful or the product is usually not well-liked Air Asia, Scoot, etc.)

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm
honestly I think of the CP game a lot like gym memberships - you get a lot of people talking a big game about qualifying for the CP and doing all these flights, and most users probably get a couple free flights out of it, but nothing that really costs SW that much, since many flights have a few extra seats open, and thus the "free seat" really costs them nothing, right. a free drink and some pretzels. much like everyone makes a resolution to join a gym and go, and perhaps they go 10 times in January, but then only 10 times rest of the year, and the gym is still taking your $50 a month and profiting off you in the long run. Southwest will make money on you using that VISA and charging up the $3000 x 2 cards and hopefully using the card even after the churn is over. Plus all the revenue flights you book, in attempt to add and utilize your CP. As you said, obviously the bean counters have determined that there is far more profit, than not.
That was my experience the one time I got it a number of years ago. Ended up using it either 2 or 3 times. It was a waste honestly and that was when I still had in-laws across the country. Today I wouldn't even use it that much. Great deal for those who are really going to use it though especially with Hawaii coming online.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am

And FYI meeting the min spend on Chase Visa is very easy. Multiple bank account and CD funding options that code as a purchase.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Get your CP churn going...

"Now, the airline expects to officially start selling flights in February or March and carrying customers shortly after."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmarti ... 66f53d61a5

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Seems like most of the Chase cards are now at a 40k bonus level, you can get another 20k if you spend a great deal (eg. $12k)
Not good, I want to get my CP and then resume life with my Alliant and Costco credit cards.

So I'm thinking of doing this:
1) Chase Business card, get 60k points for $3k spend in 3mo
https://creditcards.chase.com/small-bus ... r-business
$99 annual fee at startup

2) Get the Sapphire Preferred and get 50k points for $4k spend in 3mo
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-c ... -preferred
(These points can be transferred 1:1 to the SW RR program)
$94 annual fee, waived for first year

Assuming I must apply for both within 24 hours, business card first.

The spend is a little high but I think I'll hit it without even trying.

What credit bureaus to unfreeze?
Last edited by sunny_socal on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:16 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm
Seems like most of the Chase cards are now at a 40k bonus level, you can get another 20k if you spend a great deal (eg. $12k)
Not good, I want to get my CP and then resume life with my Alliant and Costco credit cards.

So I'm thinking of doing this:
1) Chase Business card, get 60k points for $3k spend in 30mo
https://creditcards.chase.com/small-bus ... r-business
$99 annual fee at startup

2) Get the Sapphire Preferred and get 50k points for $4k spend in 3mo
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-c ... -preferred
(These points can be transferred 1:1 to the SW RR program)
$94 annual fee, waived for first year
I am working through the 60k business card right now, almost done. I will move on to a 50k one next if still avail, or a 40k one that should do it. I will have enough points from the churn and flying to cover a 10k points gap.

I am 99.999% certain that transferred points (chase UR > SW) do not count for CP. That would make it way too easy for anyone to do it. You can double check on the southwest companion pass landing page and the points guy pages for SW CP planning, but I am extremely certain your plan will not work. Otherwise I would be done already as I have 400,000+ Chase UR points and would transfer 110k in a heartbeat and not mess around with the additional credit cards. And I imagine many others would be in the same boat. So I would revisit your plan before you start.

Here you go, there are many travel blogger threads on this topic: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... thousands/

"Earn 110,000 Rapid Rewards points in a calendar year. (Qualifying points include those that you earn through revenue flights booked via Southwest; those that you earn on Southwest credit cards; and base points you earn from Rapid Rewards partners"

What not to do: It’s understandable to want to earn a Companion Pass as quickly as possible. Just note that these “shortcuts” won’t work:

Don’t transfer points from another card: Some rewards cards, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, will let you transfer the points you earn on them into your Rapid Rewards account. But transferred points are not Companion Pass-eligible.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up gunn_show!

So I should forget about the Sapphire card? (that's ok)

Then I should use this 50k/$2k link provided earlier in this thread?

(The application from the link doesn't show the points earned or the required spend... :| )

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Ok I applied for the SW business card. The web application came back with "Decision pending: we must review your application" Ugh :(

FWIW I unfroze all 3 credit bureaus.

I hope the little in-flights don't expire before I snag this deal!

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Those inflight links have expired. These are the new ones for 50k/$2k

Updated SW 50k in-flight links

Rapid Rewards®Plus Credit Card https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/r ... PROMO=DF01

Rapid RewardsPriority Credit Card https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/r ... PROMO=DF01

February 4th, 2019

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Here is a screenshot of the terms

https://imgur.com/a/daQmZ3i

Topic Author
John Z

Post by John Z » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm

btw, Southwest is now flying its first test flight from Oakland to HNL, Southwest 8725.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 pm
Ok I applied for the SW business card. The web application came back with "Decision pending: we must review your application" Ugh :(

In my recent experience Chase never (or almost never) instantly approves business applications. Just let it lie until you hear from them which may be several weeks.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

In my recent experience Chase never (or almost never) instantly approves business applications. Just let it lie until you hear from them which may be several weeks.
Guess you're right :annoyed
https://wallethub.com/answers/chase-cre ... 140661723/

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:32 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Agree. I applied for mine in Dec in anticipation of starting the CP plan in early Jan, got the same "decision pending" which usually means declined. Then two weeks later on the same day I got an email and the card in the mail. So just be patient. Also note, since it is business, you have to create a separate login for Chase, assuming you already have other Chase card(s) for personal. Or you can call in and have them merged to a business account, little more work up front (10m), but then you have one combined account and login and not two.
sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 pm
Thanks for the heads up gunn_show!

So I should forget about the Sapphire card? (that's ok)

Then I should use this 50k/$2k link provided earlier in this thread?
Welcome. As for the Sapphire, that is up to you, if you need a different card for different reasons, aside from cards that will focus on completing the CP plan. Personally I have a Sapphire Reserve and use it the most for food, restaurants, travel, Uber, etc. since I travel a lot for work and you can earn up to 3 pts on that card. I use Chase Freedom for 1.5 pts on everything else after downgrading my initial Sapphire Reserve. Hence why I have 400k+ UR points.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm

So if my chase business card application is going to be pending for a couple weeks, should I still go ahead and apply for the regular card tomorrow?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Southwest often has sale fares like now $39 one way from SoCal to NoCal. At that rate, I’m not sure it’s worth my time to get into any loyalty program.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:32 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:10 pm
Southwest often has sale fares like now $39 one way from SoCal to NoCal. At that rate, I’m not sure it’s worth my time to get into any loyalty program.
Have you ever looked at the time when those flights depart? Expect 12am - 4am :|

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:32 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Have you ever looked at the time when those flights depart? Expect 12am - 4am :|
I did look, for the date I booked to travel to NorCal with JetBlue, Southwest has flight every hour from 8am to 5:30pm from SoCal to NorCal for $39 each way. Next year, I will only book with Southwest. There’s always fares that are on sales.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm
So if my chase business card application is going to be pending for a couple weeks, should I still go ahead and apply for the regular card tomorrow?
Commenting on my own post!

It seems like there is no hard/fast rule about when to apply for the 2nd card. Seems like my business card application is going to be pending for a couple weeks. It may protect my credit score a little bit if I apply for the personal card today (in order to merge the hard pulls.)

Any experience?

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
we happen to be in the midst of a 2 day Southwest fare sale, so your timing is impeccable and not realistic of average ticket buyer. wait till 3-4 weeks out and those prices will be long gone. when I book this same route on short notice for work, I often get $300-400 RT tickets. If you can always plan your travel months in advance within a 2 day fare sale window, for already-cheap intra-state Socal->Norcal travel, then massive kudos and yes you don't need reward programs. for the other 99.99% these programs can save you hundreds and thousands. zero chance there will ever be $39 fares from anywhere to Hawaii. or Cancun. etc.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
we happen to be in the midst of a 2 day Southwest fare sale, so your timing is impeccable and not realistic of average ticket buyer. wait till 3-4 weeks out and those prices will be long gone. when I book this same route on short notice for work, I often get $300-400 RT tickets. If you can always plan your travel months in advance within a 2 day fare sale window, for already-cheap intra-state Socal->Norcal travel, then massive kudos and yes you don't need reward programs. for the other 99.99% these programs can save you hundreds and thousands. zero chance there will ever be $39 fares from anywhere to Hawaii. or Cancun. etc.
I notice for years now air fares always go on sale, you just need to be patient. I’m now retired, I don’t have specific time to go anywhere except when the fare is cheap. So that suits me fine.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 pm

robertmcd wrote:

Can you get the business card if you've exceeded the 5/24 rule on personal cards?

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 am

FYI. We signed up for the Southwest credit card with the companion pass bonus the day it came out, and then immediately charged $4000. We then paid that amount online. Yesterday the online first statement came out, and is due March 1. The only amount owing on that statement was $69 for the annual fee, which I then paid online. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the companion pass and points to post.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 am

J295,

In reading The Points Guy, folks have been receiving bonus points within 2 days and CP anywhere between 3-8 calendar days of statement closing.

Would like to hear your experience when you receive it.

My statement closes 2/16 <sigh> Long 13-18 day wait for me.

stuyguy

Post by stuyguy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am

stilllurking wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 am
J295,

In reading The Points Guy, folks have been receiving bonus points within 2 days and CP anywhere between 3-8 calendar days of statement closing.

My $4K spend posted by the time my statement closed on 2/1; 30K points posted 2/3; CP posted 2/5. Not bad at all

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

stuyguy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am
stilllurking wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 am
J295,

My $4K spend posted by the time my statement closed on 2/1; 30K points posted 2/3; CP posted 2/5. Not bad at all
Thanks for the datapoint.

How close to the statement close did you finish your $4K? I'm wondering if that has any bearing. Some people said they charged and paid the $4K before statement closing. I can do that but if I can postpone the payment until mid-March, it would be best.

Mainly, I'm concerned with making sure all of my $4K hits on the 2/16 statement so will have it done by this weekend. Which means it should sit on the statement for 3-4 days before the statement closes.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am

fortfun wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 pm
robertmcd wrote:

Can you get the business card if you've exceeded the 5/24 rule on personal cards?
No business cards are subject to 5/24, but do not add to 5/24. Business cards also fall under 1/30, so you need to get a chase personal card after the business card since it falls under 2/30.