Disciplined with finances, but not so with diet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seligsoj

Disciplined with finances, but not so with diet

Post by seligsoj »

Any bogleheads any diet wisdom? I've always been disciplined with saving money but can't seem to apply the same discipline to my diet. I have tried weight watchers, Jenny Craig, beach body, keto, my fitness pal...I lack discipline and get hungry. Just this week I decided to start eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch (all healthy, clean foods) and prepping these meals ahead of time. I love exercising but can't always squeeze it in at night (working full time and have 2 young kids). I'm not terribly overweight but would look and feel better if I lost 15 pounds
greg24

Re: Disciplined with finances, but not so with diet

Post by greg24 »

When you find yourself playing on the floor with the kids, do 20 pushups. Then do it another 10 times.
-buzz-

Post by -buzz- »

I'm going on month 5 with keto. I've lost 25 lbs at this point.

I'm not counting calories or macros. Pretty much just keeping my diet low carb and a somewhat higher fat, although I'm not going extreme on the fat. I haven't been able to stay 100% keto all the time, but I've been pretty good. I only get hungry if I'm not eating enough.

Admittedly, I miss some of my favorite carbs - pizza, chips, potatoes. Maybe when I get to maintenance I can reintroduce some of those in limited amounts.
billyo44

Post by billyo44 »

https://www.drfuhrman.com
Buy his book "Eat to Live".
I can attest this is the way to go...fads/diets just don't work 'long-term'...Lifestyle changes do.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle
telsaar

Post by telsaar »

I would do a low carb diet (moderate protein/high fat). Especially a Ketogenic diet. You will need a blood sugar level tester and a supply of ketostix. Measure your blood sugar first thing in the morning before you eat. Through out the day eat less than 20 grams of carbs. Excercise for 1 hr per day weights, aerobic, etc. After two days, start measuring ketones. If your fasting blood sugar is running high (above 110) Fast and fast until the Blood Sugar gets to 80 or so. By the third day Ketones should be showing up in your urine. Keep your carbs in low carb vegetables and lower carb nuts (peanuts, pecans, but watch out for pistachios). Try to keep your blood sugar below 100 range, but don't let it drop below 70. Once your in ketosis, your hunger will be very manageable. Ketones are your feed back to show that your are indeed staying on your low carb diet. If your blood sugar gets high, fast. I fasted for two days and my morning blood sugar dropped from 110 to mid 70's. It also accelerated my weight loss. Always end your fast with low carbs menus. Good Luck.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

drmirkin.com

nutritionfacts.org
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I gained a number of pounds on a Fall European vacation and then the holidays. New Year's resolution is to drop what I gained. Spouse has a nice meal planned tonight with desert and wine so I will start the diet tomorrow (I've been saying "I will start tomorrow" since Jan 1st so not sure how that will go! - "Tomorrow" never really comes).'

Seriously though - regarding exercise - I find I need to do it first thing in the morning even if it means getting up an an awful hour - otherwise it doesn't get done.
Regarding diet/eating - I believe in eating in moderation versus the latest-craze-diet (or doing something like going Vegan).
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Focus on:

1. Not a "diet" - but a lifelong eating plan

2. All the things you CAN eat - not on what you cannot

3. Fill up on the good things - and you will not miss the bad
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

Intermittent Fasting - take a look at some of the Thomas Delauer videos on youtube as a start. Lots of research on it and benefits to general health.

I would go with a 16 hour fast, 6 hour eating window to get started. For example - skip breakfast, time lunch so it's 6 hours before dinner and have dinner with family.

Overtime start to reduce things like sugars, carbs etc. Replace processed foods with unprocessed alternatives and just make changes you can stick to very incrementally.

Any major wholesale change is less likely to stick for the very long term.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I lost 15 lbs recently, people said it’s harder to do after menopause, but it wasn’t. In 3 months I had to lose that much. My suggestion is to eat a normal meal and breakfast and lunch, and have most steamed veggies at night. I load up on veggies in my fridge. Almost like fasting but not really fasting. I don’t gain weight this way. Plus immediately after dinner, go for a 10-20 minutes walk, even before doing the dishes even. It works wonder for your blood sugar. My husband and I used to settle down on the couch. Plus just cut out all alcohol drinks period. They add calories. Keep it simple.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I found that eating a small healthy snack like a handful of nuts helped me keep on the diet. I used MyFitnessPal and still keep track of the calories and have kept 78 pounds off fir 5 years. How many calories are you on? If you restrict too much, it I'd not sustainable.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Walk
Walk
Walk
Move more
Eat less
Do NOT let yourself get too hungry,that is when one succumbs to poor choices(see that mcdonalds on the corner)
Keep drinking water,and more water.
keep healthy snacks around
almonds(filling)apples,
Do not starve yourself of you favorite foods,,you have to live.
Be patient.
As someone mentioned,,lifestyle change ,stay commited.
Get Tough No Excuses
You can do it NO DOUBT.
Want some movtivation to get motivated,,,,
Listen to David Goggins......below :happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIO-9Aph89w
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Weight loss/gain = A combination of "what" you eat and "how much" (portion control) you eat.

First: substitute healthy food for unhealthy food. (high cost vs low cost. . meaning price you pay for eating it in terms of health)
Second: learn to eat the proportions of food that are good for you vs binging or stuffing oneself. (allocation)
Third: discern "why" you eat what you eat. (contentment, comfort food, etc) (behavioral issues)
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Munch on healthful things like fruit (fresh, frozen, dried) and nuts
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

I like time restricted eating. I do a 12/12, and it helps me avoid snacking after dinner. I don't have a set schedule, but I'm pretty good at waiting at least 12 hours after dinner until I have breakfast. I find it difficult to increase my fasting duration without cramping my lifestyle. I do cheat occasionally on weekends.

Regarding feeling hungry - I liken hunger to having to pee in that I can usually put it off a bit. Just be aware if putting off eating too long leads to poor choices.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I didn’t get hungry by eating just steamed vegs at night. I used to feel hungry, I don’t know why. However, but made me gain weight, or not lose weight. So try a few things and see what works for you.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

follow the bogleheads diet:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 exercise early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little pounds
4 Diversify your diet
5 Never try to time the grocery market
6 Use low carb foods when possible
7 Keep stress low
8 Minimize calories
9 cook with simplicity
10 Stay the course (but not the "three course") :happy
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Apple Watch. I used to poo poo fitness trackers, but Apple Watch has been a game changer for me.
Trism

Post by Trism »

300 calories for breakfast. Egg McMuffin.

560 calories for lunch. Big Mac.

900 calories for dinner. Chick-Fil-A sandwich and fries.

Coffee, diet sodas or water to drink.

I lost 40 pounds eating mainly fast food. There are better, more nutritious ways, of course, but it's really easy to keep track of your intake when the calories are printed right on the menu. And it doesn't take a lot of discipline to get all of your food from a drive-through window.
Last edited by Trism on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JT05

Post by JT05 »

As somebody else mentioned, morning exercise is great. Really the only time I have to do it plus it sets my tone for the day and will help with eating better.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

seligsoj wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm Any bogleheads any diet wisdom? I've always been disciplined with saving money but can't seem to apply the same discipline to my diet. I have tried weight watchers, Jenny Craig, beach body, keto, my fitness pal...I lack discipline and get hungry. Just this week I decided to start eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch (all healthy, clean foods) and prepping these meals ahead of time. I love exercising but can't always squeeze it in at night (working full time and have 2 young kids). I'm not terribly overweight but would look and feel better if I lost 15 pounds
It really is simple.

Finances you simply have to spend less than you make and save the amount not spent. In other words, a money surplus.

Losing weight you simply have to eat less calories per day than your body requires. In other words, a caloric deficit.

In finances, you track your money (what comes in vs. what goes out).

When eating, you track your calories (what calories are taken in vs. how many calories are burned per day).

If you want to gain weight, you eat more calories per day than your body burns. If you want to lose weight, you eat fewer calories per day than your body burns.

If you can accurately count and weigh/measure your foods - you can lose weight.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Been disciplined about diet for 40 years and finances 33 years. I do yoga every morning right after getting up. It's a ritual for me. After breakfast I head to the fitness center (working out on machines or participating in a planned fitness, i.e. chair strengthening, low impact, TaiChi), playing pickleball, hiking or some other activity. I live in a very active community so it is easy to get involved. People ask where you were when you don't show up, which is always an incentive.

Breakfast is usually granola or (cold) oatmeal. Lunch, leftover soup or I prepare a salad with lot of veggies and add either leftover pasta or rice. Dinner, very similar, sometimes it includes meat. In between, I eat fruit along with a handful of nuts. I have been able to maintain my weight since I watch out what I eat. It'll help the poster to enlist someone (spouse or friend) to do it along with him/her.
Trism

Post by Trism »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:15 pm
seligsoj wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm Any bogleheads any diet wisdom? I've always been disciplined with saving money but can't seem to apply the same discipline to my diet. I have tried weight watchers, Jenny Craig, beach body, keto, my fitness pal...I lack discipline and get hungry. Just this week I decided to start eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch (all healthy, clean foods) and prepping these meals ahead of time. I love exercising but can't always squeeze it in at night (working full time and have 2 young kids). I'm not terribly overweight but would look and feel better if I lost 15 pounds
It really is simple.

Finances you simply have to spend less than you make and save the amount not spent. In other words, a money surplus.

Losing weight you simply have to eat less calories per day than your body requires. In other words, a caloric deficit.

When eating, you track your calories (what calories are taken in vs. how many calories are burned per day).

If you want to gain weight, you eat more calories per day than your body burns. If you want to lose weight, you eat fewer calories per day than your body burns.

Agree wholeheartedly. People spend billions annually on diet and exercise nonsense, when all they have to do is math. Math was the basis for my successful weight loss plan (posted above), and I ate mostly garbage.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Trism wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pmAgree wholeheartedly. People spend billions annually on diet and exercise nonsense, when all they have to do is math. Math was the basis for my successful weight loss plan (posted above), and I ate mostly garbage.
Yup. Simple math. Tons of forum posts at MyFitnessPal.com that proves eating dirty vs. eating clean doesn't matter when it comes to losing weight. You can lose weight eating garbage as long as you can quantify that you ate fewer calories than you burned that day. :mrgreen:

Booze, donuts, nachos, chips and cookies will do it as well as broccoli, spinach, turkey, apple slices and water as long as the math is correct. One gets pretty good at counting calories with a measuring cup, a scale, reading packages, looking things up online and opening one's eyes to how many calories things do or do not have.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
sambb

Post by sambb »

peloton - my best purchase of the last 2 years - its great
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:56 pm follow the bogleheads diet:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 exercise early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little pounds
4 Diversify your diet
5 Never try to time the grocery market
6 Use low carb foods when possible
7 Keep stress low
8 Minimize calories
9 cook with simplicity
10 Stay the course (but not the "three course") :happy
Clever! I always did think that the Bogleheads principles applied to life in general, so why not dieting? It's all about discipline. And dieting - eat less, exercise, count those calories - is "simple, but not easy."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have nothing really to add to the good advice you've already received. One thing I heard that has motivated me is someone that said people think "I only gained 2 or 5 pounds this year...no big deal." Well, over 20 years that is 40 or 100 pounds!
arcticpineapplecorp.

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:42 pm I have nothing really to add to the good advice you've already received. One thing I heard that has motivated me is someone that said people think "I only gained 2 or 5 pounds this year...no big deal." Well, over 20 years that is 40 or 100 pounds!
Paul Merriman has said on numerous occasions he's struggled with weight (and loss) over his whole life. I don't remember the actual number he used but (paraphrasing) he said something like he's lost over 500 pounds over the course of his life. Makes sense if you gain and lose and gain and lose, it really adds up.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

I had an ankle injury 5 years ago that has diminished my ability to exercise. I saw a nutritionist who advised me that as a post-menopausal woman who can't do a lot of exercise, the chances of my losing weight and maintaining were pretty much nil. (I am usually at 7000-8000 steps per day, more than that and I have to take mega doses of ibuprofen to cope). I was trying to lose 20 lbs. at the time I was injured, and I gained another 22 lbs. since then.

I was depressed for 6 months, then I asked my doctor for another referral. This one was a gem! She talked to me for awhile and found that in the past I had some success with Atkins diet. She suggested I try the combination of a keto diet and time-restricted eating (aka intermittant fasting). I started on August 21, so I have been doing it nearly 5 months. Specifically, I eat a moderate amount of protein, lots of fat, and less than 40 g. of carbohydrates -- mostly non-root vegetables. I was never that much of a breakfast person, so I have 2-3 cups of Americano with a shot of espresso with whipping cream in the morning when I get up, around 8 a.m. I eat between noon and 8 pm. I have lost 21 lbs. and have never have to go hungry. I don't count calories. This has been a godsend way to eat for me. The high level of fat in my diet leaves me quite satiated and I have no major urges to eat the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar. There are high-fat low-carb snack bars you can buy that are delicious or you can make them yourself. Google "keto recipes" and you will see that you can eat wonderful meals while avoiding sugar and starch. I continue to see the nutritionist every 3-4 weeks to check in.

Just after I met the second nutritionist and before getting underway with her suggestions, I bought and read the book "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. What an eye opener! Anyone who believes this way of eating is unhealthy should read this book. The opposite is true. The book is science-based, cites a great many studies, and is extensively footnoted. I also check into keto diet and fasting forums a couple of times a week to learn from others and keep motivated. You can lose weight, keep it off, and (by the way) cure type II diabetes by burning your own fat instead of ingested junk food and fixing your insulin response.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Trism wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm
It really is simple.

Agree wholeheartedly. People spend billions annually on diet and exercise nonsense, when all they have to do is math. Math was the basis for my successful weight loss plan (posted above), and I ate mostly garbage.
I'm literally a doctor of obesity (my PhD is in obesity studies and I investigated the effects of exercise on weight status in high level athletes for my dissertation), and I now research healthy lifestyle behaviors and weight management for a living. I've spent 20 years researching this topic and I know one thing (and one thing only): the fundamentals of weight management are exceedingly simple, the practice is not. All "diets" have some merit (depending on the individual), but 95% of people I know would experience pretty significant health improvements by simply eating less processed junk and following the first law of thermodynamics (burn more fuel than you intake).
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'm having a Dry January, and I've already lost 3 pounds without any other dietary changes. Starting next week I will cut back on food portion size as well as number of foods per meal. I find that I can manage my calorie intake best if I limit each meal to two foods (meat and salad, meat and soup, meat and non-starchy vegetable, soup and salad, etc.)
zeal

Post by zeal »

Invest in low cost index foods with an apple allocation appropriate for your age. Write down your IPS and stick with it through the ups and downs of the supermarket.

It doesn't have to be complicated--boring will make you rich.
denovo

Post by denovo »

In before the lock.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
delamer

Post by delamer »

Trism wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm 300 calories for breakfast. Egg McMuffin.

I lost 40 pounds eating mainly fast food. There are better, more nutritious ways, of course, but it's really easy to keep track of your intake when the calories are printed right on the menu. And it doesn't take a lot of discipline to get all of your food from a drive-through window.
Did you look at the sodium content in addition to the calorie content?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
arcticpineapplecorp.

I just saw an ad the other day for something new. It's called the "Virtual Gastric Band". Apparently it's hypnosis (or hypnotherapy if you prefer) for weight loss. Yes, hypnosis has been used before, but now it's been gussied up like everything else that's repackaged. I'm not recommending it and know virtually (pun intended) nothing about it, but thought I'd mention it. A google search found this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... stric+band
“It’s simple really,” says Gilchrist. “You trick the mind into thinking it can’t eat a big meal.” Now it is one of his most requested procedures, and, according to Gilchrist, it can be done in one 30-minute session.
source: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.1838685
5 things you didn't know about gastric band hypnotherapy:
https://www.cityhypnosis.com/blog/gastr ... notherapy/
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

It helps to visualize what you chew up in your mouth, swallowed in your stomach.Try it. ugg :thumbsup

Diet is enhanced by raising BP w/ running or swimming early in am and later in evening. jmho
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Structure your life to overcome your weakness.

One only needs to eat once a day, at most. Stop getting huge swings in energy levels by just eating one meal. If u think that's hard, do a five day water fast, and then you'll understand what hunger actually is.

It's easy to stick to a low carb Paleo style diet when you eat just a couple hours a day. I locked in my Paleo habit by reducing the number of feedings, ie decision points, per day.

If you eat less calories in a day your metabolism will eventually slow to maintain homeostasis, and a slow metabolism means you will become a super ager... For monkeys and mice anyways.

I have a calorie deficit 5 days a week, but then a surplus on weekends. It's not sustainable to always have a calorie deficit, as you'll wither away.

Diet is 95% of looking fit and staying young (super ager).

Exercise? just sell you car and bike to work
Don't want to exercise today? Well you'll be fired for not showing up, so looks like it's another obligatory exercise day.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
AMG79

Post by AMG79 »

I have a degree in Exercise Science and have been a personal trainer for 20 years. Here are my three best tips for you... focus on reducing or eliminating added sugar, focus on portion size and replace some carbs with more vegetables. If you focus solely on restricting all "ADDED" sugar in your diet (sugar that does not occur naturally in foods), you will be so surprised at what you can no longer eat. Weight loss is a sure thing. If you google "words for added sugar" and look at food labels more closely, you may be shocked at what you find. It is often hidden very well in much of what we consume.

We have a tendency to complicate easy things. Weight loss is challenging, but completely achievable by focusing on the right things. As a trainer, I'd love to say exercise plays a huge role in weight loss, but science has proven that it does not. Yes, it is very, very beneficial in many, many ways but you usually cannot out-exercise your food intake.

Be wary of the latest fad diet. It's usually just a re-branded version of another out-of-style diet. And fad dieting is detrimental to your metabolism and is proven to hinder your progress. Best of luck to you!
delamer

Post by delamer »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 pm
Trism wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm
It really is simple.

I'm literally a doctor of obesity (my PhD is in obesity studies and I investigated the effects of exercise on weight status in high level athletes for my dissertation), and I now research healthy lifestyle behaviors and weight management for a living. I've spent 20 years researching this topic and I know one thing (and one thing only): the fundamentals of weight management are exceedingly simple, the practice is not. All "diets" have some merit (depending on the individual), but 95% of people I know would experience pretty significant health improvements by simply eating less processed junk and following the first law of thermodynamics (burn more fuel than you intake).
What is a workable definition of processed food, in terms of grocery shopping? Is all processed food junk?

For example, for lunch I often eat a frozen, one portion meal that is vegetarian (Amy’s brand). Is that by definition “processed” or are there more criteria?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

I believe once you label it a diet, one is doomed to fail. It must be a considered a "Life style change" that you actually believe in. Like most things in life, you really must want to change or it most likely is doomed.
zeal

Post by zeal »

Everyone should probably talk to their doctor before making drastic changes. That said, weight management doesn't have to be complicated. Chances are you will become healthier & wealthier just by having these 2 priorities:

-Avoid restaurants, fast foods, & added sugar.
-Use a fitness tracker.

That's it. I had about 10 lbs I wanted to be rid of. It's been about 2 weeks & I've lost 3 of those hard-to-lose last few pounds. My bachelor friends call it "marriage fluff." Struggled with motivation over the last couple years but I finally got an activity tracker & am slowly, steadily getting back to where I want to be--it has really helped me to instill good habits again. Just like finances: it's a marathon, not a sprint. The only other change I've made is that I'm avoiding dining out as much as possible and back to basics with food: some combo of eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, whole grain cereal, bananas, & oranges for breakfast everyday; a pb&j, turkey & swiss, or tuna/chicken salad sandwich with an apple or carrots for lunch; then some sort of light dinner (or sometimes no dinner) like some soup or salad. The healthier your breakfast, the easier it is to continue eating healthy for the day. And fasting for dinner once in a while is just temporarily uncomfortable but very beneficial--an easy way to ensure I'm eating less than I need so my body can use up some of that stored energy.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Any bogleheads any diet wisdom?
You lack the proper motivation. :wink:

I found mine when my doctor's supervisor wrote me a letter that said (paraphrasing) if you don't get your stuff together, you are going to die a lingering and painful death that I don't want to fight with a bunch of pills because you're too lazy to get your act together.

Then she sent me to a fat class.

That and because I didn't want to sit through another year long fat class of hour long lectures about calories in less than calories out = weight loss.

Try myfitnesspal.com. And the NIH (?) has an on line course on Preventing Type II diabetes IIRC. Been at it for about two years. Probably have a another two years to go to get to my goal. Then, I'll try to maintain at that level for the rest of my life.

Best of luck. YMMV.

PS: If you are female, it's an absolute gut check of a challenge.
Last edited by RadAudit on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Kids and a desk job with do they to you.
I couldn't gain weight when I was young.
After the kids came along, and a salried job
where 40-50 hrs was the norm, I started to put on
about 2 pounds a year.

Hopefully when I am retired, it will open up time to
for moderate exercise.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

When I want to lose weight I just cut my normal choices in half. If I crave apple pie and ice cream I have it. All the programs that have you counting calories and points is too much work for me.

I can’t say I have felt hunger using this method and am able to lose about 8 to 10 lbs a monrh.
Mary
cantos

Post by cantos »

This is in essence exactly what I did/do. Not necessarily fast food, but the principle is the same: set amount of calories/same thing for breakfast and lunch. Cut out all sugar drinks. For dinner I basically eat whatever I want. Then absolutely nothing after. So for me:

bowl of muesli w soy milk for breakfast

2 beef patties for lunch (other equivalents: 3 pieces of popeye's chicken; a pizza with meat but no cheese; etc.)

And dinner where I eat until I'm full.

Get used to sleeping hungry. After a while the body adapts and it's just going to sleep as usual, and no longer feels like hunger.
cantos

Post by cantos »

delamer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Did you look at the sodium content in addition to the calorie content?
Sodium content is irrelevant while losing weight on a diet. Since the dieter is eating so much less food than usual, the sodium content is probably less than usual too.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I finally learned how to keep the weight off in my late 40s.
  • Eat slow.
  • 10,000 steps a day.
  • Have something you can snack on that is low calorie but filling.
I LOVE the taste of many foods. And I ate fast. So I'd want more.

Simple example. Hamburger off a grill. I'd always eat one, it was so good, I'd want another.

Old Diet: I'd eat the one hamburger fast like normal... Try to use will-power to not eat a second hamburger. Painful. Difficult.

New Diet: Eat the one hamburger slowly. Take a bite. Put it down. Wait a minute. Take another bite. Take 20 minutes to eat it. The entire time I'd be wanting another taste, I could look down and see another taste was coming. After 20 minutes, felt full (if still hungry eat apple slices). No pain, not difficult. Didn't feel deprived.

This was the key for me. It may not work for you. But it worked for me.

The other trick is snacking. I eat 4 Reduced-Fat Nilla Wafers whenever I feel hungry. I have them instead of breakfast (and then an early lunch at 11:00). I have them for my afternoon snack. I have them at night if I'm starving.

For some reason, 4 Nilla Wafers fill me up enough to make the hunger pangs go away. Only 60 calories. I eat them slow too.

This is working for me. It may not work for you. Everyone has to find their own thing.

I looked and looked for something that would work for me for years. I finally found this.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

AMG79 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm I have a degree in Exercise Science and have been a personal trainer for 20 years. Here are my three best tips for you... focus on reducing or eliminating added sugar, focus on portion size and replace some carbs with more vegetables. If you focus solely on restricting all "ADDED" sugar in your diet (sugar that does not occur naturally in foods), you will be so surprised at what you can no longer eat. Weight loss is a sure thing. If you google "words for added sugar" and look at food labels more closely, you may be shocked at what you find. It is often hidden very well in much of what we consume.

We have a tendency to complicate easy things. Weight loss is challenging, but completely achievable by focusing on the right things. As a trainer, I'd love to say exercise plays a huge role in weight loss, but science has proven that it does not. Yes, it is very, very beneficial in many, many ways but you usually cannot out-exercise your food intake.

Be wary of the latest fad diet. It's usually just a re-branded version of another out-of-style diet. And fad dieting is detrimental to your metabolism and is proven to hinder your progress. Best of luck to you!
^This. Tons of sugar in beverages. Drink Water. Drink Tea without sugar/sweetner. Drink coffee black. No sports/energy drinks. No soda. No juice. No alcohol. I cheat with alcohol but adhered to the other beverage restrictions. To focus on portion intake, I eliminated breakfast except on weekends and followed the restricted eating times by fasting until lunch during the work week. I do drink black coffee and water for breakfast. I only eat two meals a day and try to have vegetables with each meal. I rarely eat bread but do eat rice/pasta. I eat desserts sparingly.
Last edited by ETadvisor on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 pm
Trism wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pmAgree wholeheartedly. People spend billions annually on diet and exercise nonsense, when all they have to do is math. Math was the basis for my successful weight loss plan (posted above), and I ate mostly garbage.
Yup. Simple math. Tons of forum posts at MyFitnessPal.com that proves eating dirty vs. eating clean doesn't matter when it comes to losing weight. You can lose weight eating garbage as long as you can quantify that you ate fewer calories than you burned that day. :mrgreen:

Booze, donuts, nachos, chips and cookies will do it as well as broccoli, spinach, turkey, apple slices and water as long as the math is correct. One gets pretty good at counting calories with a measuring cup, a scale, reading packages, looking things up online and opening one's eyes to how many calories things do or do not have.
This is correct. Another key component to my new diet plan lasting is I haven't cut out the beer. I just make sure my total calories are equal or less than what I burn, and I can still drink beer. My old diet, I'd give up drinking for 4 months in the winter, lose the weight, then gain it back in the summer drinking at the lake.

I've managed my weight for a while now WHILE drinking 2-3 times a week, so I know it's sustainable unlike my old plans where I would try to be super-good.

I learned I can't be super-good forever, so I've come up with a new lifestyle where I can still be bad occasionally. :)
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Dontwasteit wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm I believe once you label it a diet, one is doomed to fail. It must be a considered a "Life style change" that you actually believe in. Like most things in life, you really must want to change or it most likely is doomed.
Wrong. I've heard that said many times on npr.

A diet is, "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." I'm on a diet along with every other breathing animal.

The correct thing to say is a "temporary diet to lose weight never works". If it's temporary, it's technically not even a diet... Since it's not really a habit if it only lasts a month.

Diets do work, it's how animals get food and convert that to energy that allows them to move and reproduce.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way