Good bags/containers for packing snacks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Good bags/containers for packing snacks?

Post by blackwhisker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I have use ziploc bags and 365 brand sandwich bags to pack my kid's snacks. I notice the snacks often taste funny(like the plastic) if the snacks are not eaten with ~8 hours.

Are there better plastic bags out there? Should I line the bag with parchment paper? How about non disposable plastic containers, stainless steel containers? Can anyone recommend a good brand? The snacks I pack are usually chips, crackers or granola.

Glass container might be overkill. I already pack my kids lunch in a glass container. Too many glass containers would be heavy.

Thanks

livesoft

Re: Good bags/containers for packing snacks?

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm

There are many varieties of bags which use different plastics. Storage bags, freezer bags, and some other kind. Try a different variety. Freezer bags are great because one can put boiling water in them unlike the other bags.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

I bought some reuseable bags on Amazon. You could PM me and I'd tell you which ones I bought though I really think they are all very similar.

The reviews are kinda impossible to wade through (lots of 5s and 1s) but I am satisfied with my purchase.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm
There are many varieties of bags which use different plastics. Storage bags, freezer bags, and some other kind. Try a different variety. Freezer bags are great because one can put boiling water in them unlike the other bags.
Wow.

Putting boiling water in a freezer ziploc is a great idea!
Then we could cook fresh pasta later in the day, on a picnic.

Neat!

:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

I like the Sistema products, keep dried fruit/nuts in them and never detect any smell. I like the closing/locking mechanism. They come in many sizes, I buy them at Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods.

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/kl ... -rectangle

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

We pack 3 kids lunches/snacks every day in https://www.yumboxlunch.com/

Life.Changing.

We now have 3 containers per day to wash rather than the 9-12 when we used individual containers.

I've had some of the Sistema products as well, still use some of them for myself. They are nice, but I've not found them particularly durable.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I use wax sandwich bags: https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Cut-Rit ... B00KQVYPPE or https://www.amazon.com/CARE-Unbleached- ... 6KXCJXXQBP You can put them inside a plastic bag if the snack is moist. There are also reusable wraps: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/473E ... 20Vermont.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm
I bought some reuseable bags on Amazon. You could PM me and I'd tell you which ones I bought though I really think they are all very similar.

The reviews are kinda impossible to wade through (lots of 5s and 1s) but I am satisfied with my purchase.
+1

We have used similar bags for years.

It is also so much better for the environment, if you care about things like that. Not judging, but some people don't :)

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:20 pm

blackburnian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm
I use wax sandwich bags: https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Cut-Rit ... B00KQVYPPE or https://www.amazon.com/CARE-Unbleached- ... 6KXCJXXQBP You can put them inside a plastic bag if the snack is moist. There are also reusable wraps: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/473E ... 20Vermont.
Thank you! Wax bags sound good!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Wow.

Neat!

RM
Classic backpacker meals are made this way. Idahoan mash potatoes, ramen, Knorr sides, oatmeal etc. No messy pot cleaning. See youtube.com
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

I like "If You Care Paper Snack and Sandwich Bags".
So far the big chain grocery stores don't seem to stock them, but I find them at many groceries that specialize in more natural products.
If you do a search on them it should come up with stores that sell them locally.

Amazon carries them also -
https://www.amazon.com/CARE-Unbleached- ... dwich+bags

I keep a roll of painter's tape in the kitchen to use to seal them. (There's no zippy top :happy )

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Wow.

Neat!

RM
Classic backpacker meals are made this way. Idahoan mash potatoes, ramen, Knorr sides, oatmeal etc. No messy pot cleaning. See youtube.com
Hey, livesoft...
I was joking about *bringing* the boiling water!
:D

I've done lots of backpacking, but it was in days before these fancy food bags.
Would have been terrific to avoid the cleaning, but... we weren't always meticulous. Boiling can do wonders!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Jazzysoon wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm
I like the Sistema products, keep dried fruit/nuts in them and never detect any smell. I like the closing/locking mechanism. They come in many sizes, I buy them at Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods.

Do you find these to be leak proof? I take greek yogurt & fruit for breakfast and my current glass rectangle containers leak sometimes due to the lids being a few years old and not fitting tightly anymore. I want to order new lids but the company doesn't sell them, which is more aggravating than I can describe. When I emailed the company asking if I could just buy replacement lids they instructed me to buy a whole new set instead, such a waste.

I'll research to see if sistema sells replacement lids. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:47 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

+1

We have used similar bags for years.

It is also so much better for the environment, if you care about things like that. Not judging, but some people don't :)

That is not a foregone conclusion once the resources for a heavier bag, the water and detergent used to clean the reusable bag, and the fact that the bag eventually is discarded because it wears out is factored in.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Jazzysoon wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Do you find these to be leak proof? I take greek yogurt & fruit for breakfast and my current glass rectangle containers leak sometimes due to the lids being a few years old and not fitting tightly anymore. I want to order new lids but the company doesn't sell them, which is more aggravating than I can describe. When I emailed the company asking if I could just buy replacement lids they instructed me to buy a whole new set instead, such a waste.

I'll research to see if sistema sells replacement lids. :)
I just grabbed on of the smaller square ones I had that was empty and filled it half with water and shook it for at least 30seconds and tipped it over a few times. Not one drop came out.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Jazzysoon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm
I just grabbed on of the smaller square ones I had that was empty and filled it half with water and shook it for at least 30seconds and tipped it over a few times. Not one drop came out.
Thanks, I will try them out. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Some food containers that most people throw away/recycle are pretty good for snacks. We wash out and reuse pint size potato salad containers and also like the screw top Talenti ice cream containers. Some lunch meat containers are also quite reusable. After a semester or two, they eventually go into the recycling, but in the meantime, they're good for keeping grapes, berries, cereal, apple wedges etc from getting smooshed in the kids' backpacks.