MMORPG games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ag1

Re: MMORPG games

Post by ag1 »

Anybody played nethack - ASCII character based dungeons and dragons. I spent a while year of my grad school. Those were the days ...

Ag1
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

ag1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 pm Anybody played nethack - ASCII character based dungeons and dragons. I spent a while year of my grad school. Those were the days ...

Ag1
I didn't play nethack, but I played a similar roguelike title called ADOM. Just googled it and it seems it is still going, pretty crazy.

https://www.adom.de/home/index.html
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
penguindance49

Post by penguindance49 »

Still a Runescape fan... literally playing half of my life now. Wow. I'm a little sad about that. Gotta say the mining/smithing update is pretty neat - still figuring everything out but mining is waaaay better now.

Technically not *massive* but multiplayer Stardew Valley is <3
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

JupiterJones wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm I played a lot of WoW back in the day, mostly because it was the only big MMORPG that ran on a Mac.

After all those expansions and rules changes and junk, it just got too... complicated. Which is one of the features and bugs with online games: You have to evolve along with them.

But I hear they're coming out with an "Classic" option this summer, where you can play the game essentially as it was circa 2006. I'm definitely going to check that out!
Sounds interesting as I quit playing due to complications with game play and I was tired of 12 year olds handing me my lunch!!
I would also be interested in the classic mode of old.

I played for 5 or 6 years and then stopped cold turkey.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Machinebuzz

Post by Machinebuzz »

jjunk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

www.project1999.com

Pulled me back in a few years ago. If you want to re-create the old times it was great, but realized I had to stop before the addiction set in.
This may have just ruined my life.....thank you! :happy

I played P99 for a few years. It's the way an MMO should be IMO. My desktop kicked the bucket and I didn't replace it or I'd probably still be playing. I think P99 is better than the original due to the lower server population and they are pretty strict about dual boxing.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

dwickenh wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm
JupiterJones wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm But I hear they're coming out with an "Classic" option this summer, where you can play the game essentially as it was circa 2006. I'm definitely going to check that out!
Sounds interesting as I quit playing due to complications with game play and I was tired of 12 year olds handing me my lunch!!
Maybe we need all to form a Boglehead guild once they get the classic server up and running. :D

Although I guess we'd spend most of the game running around Azeroth trying to find the shop with the lowest prices...
Stay on target...
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I had a blast in one of the Fable iterations buying a shop as soon as I had enough money. Rather than play the main storyline, I became enamoured with building a business empire to create free cash flow and then buying bigger and bigger residences.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 pm
dwickenh wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm
JupiterJones wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm But I hear they're coming out with an "Classic" option this summer, where you can play the game essentially as it was circa 2006. I'm definitely going to check that out!
Maybe we need all to form a Boglehead guild once they get the classic server up and running. :D

Although I guess we'd spend most of the game running around Azeroth trying to find the shop with the lowest prices...
I actually enjoyed the economic model for Wow with the different crafts and the Auction House.
I always had more gold than I needed, but the available products(gear) that was available was limited.

I like the guild idea!!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

ag1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 pm Anybody played nethack - ASCII character based dungeons and dragons. I spent a while year of my grad school. Those were the days ...
I've played it, and some similar ones, but roguelikes have never been my specialty. There are some good writeups about Nethack on the CRPG Addict blog, if you're feeling nostalgic.

I'm big on RPGs but I've always avoided monthly fees for games, so I haven't done too many of the MMOs. Kingdom of Loathing is probably it. Just got around to playing Diablo 3, if that counts.
ag1

Post by ag1 »

That blog is incredible - I don't know how the author has pulled that off - very impressive. Thank you for giving me the information.
regards
Ag1
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I started playing Township (mobile game) and really enjoy it.

1. city building/farming/trading game.
2. The game is all about supply chain management. If you are good with forecasting demand and managing inventory, then you can grow fast without paying a dime.
3. Team members help each other to grow. There's also competition between teams for rewards (imagine soccer league relegation).
4. There's no war, which means you won't lose anything you built. Pretty relaxed atmosphere. (It may not be MMORPG, if that's what you are looking for)
notsobright

Post by notsobright »

Pre-Internet
BBS's. Tradewars, LORD, Muds, Doom II
Then RTS wc2, wc3, sc, sc2
Then WoW 40 main raids -> 20 main raids quit after about 5 years
Recently I played a lot of overwatch, but put that to rest about a year ago.

Now I make video games and these days I either watch or try to play anything that has high reviews, from mobile to pc to console. I can never get too invested though now that I have a family and 3 children.
ishkadetto

Post by ishkadetto »

Been playing the same MUD on and off for 20+ years :twisted: :D
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

I've played Everquest, World of Warcraft, Dark Ages of Camelot, War Hammer Online, Guild Wars, Conan, etc. I played most of them casually except for DAoC and WAR as the PvP was pretty addicting.

I'm currently not playing anything right now. I have pre-ordered Star Citizen, but not playing the alpha/beta or whatever it is u can play now.

I just found out about Camelot Unchained which is coming from the guy who created DAoC and WarHammer Online. I'm very excited about it and have high hopes.