MMORPG games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Soundwall

MMORPG games

Post by Soundwall » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi all, I know this is an investing forum but I am curious to know if there are other boglehead gamers out there. If you are casual middle of the road, or if you're a hardcore player. I have played mmorpg games like ff11, Guild Wars 2and WoW since 2004.

StrawMan

Re: MMORPG games

Post by StrawMan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Was really active in Neverwinter- but they game has gotten so bad with its blatant cash grab, poorly designed and implemented mods, lack of involment by the Dev's and Community Manager that I've taken a step back. Plus the official and "unofficial" website are nothing more that heavily moderated propaganda machines.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Dungeons and Dragons Online, baby.

Pure nerd here.
The J stands for Jay

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 am

Before kids I played a lot of games. Usually MMOs or first person shooters. Now just casual games on my phone. :|

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am

I still play Runescape

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am

I don't consider myself a gamer but I like a certain type of games that

1. is not Pay to Win
2. make new friends
3. slow paced, requiring long term strategical thinking

I played Crown of the Gods before. Looking for a new game.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 am

World of Warcraft here. I raid with my guild Wedensdays and Thrsdays from 1pm to 4pm central. Very fun doing this with 20 other people. Very social. I also run rated battlegrounds. Very competitive. Never bored.
VT, BNDW and chill.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am

I played Last Kingdom , Faldon, Kingdom of Loathing, and I believe one other whose name I can't recall. I had to give it up because I was spending far too much time on these games.

EDIT: For Kingdom of Loathing I stopped playing and became a currency broker for a while. At first, it was kind of shocking how much people were willing to pay for in game items. On my really good months, I was clearing ~$500 by trading in this silly game. Alas, the admins of the game did not approve of other people profiting from their game, so eventually all my accounts got shut down, but it was a good run while it lasted.

If anyone else played Kingdom of Loathing, here is the archived version of my brokerage page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090719080 ... at.com:80/
Last edited by Smorgasbord on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am

I'm 45 and enjoyed video games since Atari came out in the 70s. Really no different than watching any form of televised entertainment.

Not an online fan, but enjoy RPGs... specifically the Assassin's Creed series, Mass Effect series, and Elder Scrolls... plus others.

As a family we like the Nintendo Switch.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am

I have the following consoles hooked up to my television, all ready to play at the drop of a hat: NES, SNES, Nintendo64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Genesis, Xbox, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, and Playstation 4. I have the NES Classic and SNES Classic, but they're still sealed in their boxes. I will be acquiring an Xbox 360 and hooking it up at some point this year. I have hundreds of Steam games - my most played of which is Dead By Daylight, at 1000 hours. Other Steam games that have taken up a lot of my time would include: Rocket League, 7 Days To Die, Left 4 Dead 2, Killing Floor, and Age of Empires II. Non-Steam PC games would include Minecraft, Diablo II, and Fortnite.

I'm mostly a fan of first-person shooters and co-op multiplayer games, though I'm currently playing through Spiderman on PS4 and plenty of Smash Bros Ultimate on Switch (I play in a weekly Smash league). I would recommend to anyone any of the games I have previously mentioned, but I would also recommend the Portal series, the Half-Life 2 series, Far Cry, and Crysis as other PC games to play. For consoles, I would recommend the Nintendo64 as the best console of all time (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Smash Bros 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1 - 3, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask...).

As for MMORPG, no, not really.

Topic Author
Soundwall

Post by Soundwall » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am

There are several mmos being released this year. I'm looking forward to Pantheon Rise of the Fallen. It's being designed by one of co creators of Everquest, Brad Mcquid. However it's still in Pre Alpha testing. This game has been in development for years. Its suppose to be how mmorpgs are: slow pace, group dependent, tank, dps, heals, and cc strategy. Kind of like how WoW used to be back in 04-06

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am

Got seriously hooked in high school on EQ. Was in a top ranked world famous guild. This drastically effected my studies and life through year 2 of college when a computer issue forced me offline for a few weeks.

That break and the readjustment that came was the catalyst for me to make some changes. I sold my characters for thousands of dollars and closed the door on EQ. My total account screen time was well over a year...Amazing how my “friends” on there reacted to my leaving...I dabbled in some World of Warcraft after, but saw myself on the same path and pretty much gave up gaming years ago.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

Guild wars2, Everquest, Everquest 2, Star wars galaxies, LOTRO, rift, diablo 2, hellgate london, secrete world, and a few others. I loved playing them pre kiddo. We have a PS4 now and I will play Star Wars Battlefront 2 and The Division every now and then but its rare I can play a game for a long period of time.
Part of our issue is we are rural and on dsl. If I had a better signal maybe but there are times I am lagged out of PS4.
Last edited by forgeblast on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Currently playing LOTRO Legendary server while waiting on Pantheon's release.

I go back to EQ1 and played the year it launched, and then for several years after that.

Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm

I used to play WoW (BfA was unappealing) and Guild Wars 2 (worked for ArenaNet for several years) and I still play SWTOR, though just as a simple diversion since I really only care to play through the original vanilla class stories.

snackontransite

Post by snackontransite » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Been playing MMO's most of my life.
Started with runescape when I was 9 years old or so. Shortly after started playing WoW from mid/end vanilla to end of Wrath expansion. Then I moved away from mmorpg's into just mmo-games and played path of exile for about a year. Then I played cs:go for about 2 years and almost got to the highest official matchmaking rank. Quit playing because the official mm is awful and I didn't want to deal with climbing ranks again to play on 3rd party mm. Tried to play WoW again last year around when antorus came out. Geared up in like 2 weeks and got ~1/2 way through mythic before stopping. Just not as fun as it used to be for me. Now I just "play" runescape (more like afk runescape and watch youtube) and try to waste as much time as possible.

I used to spend all my time playing games. Now I don't really play games anymore, but I have not really replaced them with anything. I just try to waste as much time as possible and hopefully get through to tomorrow :|

One good thing about mmo's; they are probably the most "cost effective" form of entertainment out there if you spend all your time playing them!

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am
I still play Runescape
+ 1, great game
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm

buccimane wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am
I still play Runescape
+ 1, great game
I like the building up of a character part and economy part of the game, but not a WOW fan. Also Play the Civ series, used to love command and conquer but they made one game I couldn't even get past the tutorial stage, Red Alert was great. Used to love playing the scenarios in Civ2 especially civil war scenario, the new ones don't have any that good. I bought Civ 6, but yet to play it, I keep playing the Civ offshoot, Beyond Earth now.

Kinda bored with RS, but I am 99 everything, 115 Slayer and 101 Invention, so I mostly log in once a day to get my two free spins, do a farm run, and my dailies, and maybe do slayer to get the daily reward for it and that is about it.

Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am
Got seriously hooked in high school on EQ. Was in a top ranked world famous guild. This drastically effected my studies and life through year 2 of college when a computer issue forced me offline for a few weeks.

That break and the readjustment that came was the catalyst for me to make some changes. I sold my characters for thousands of dollars and closed the door on EQ. My total account screen time was well over a year...Amazing how my “friends” on there reacted to my leaving...I dabbled in some World of Warcraft after, but saw myself on the same path and pretty much gave up gaming years ago.
Interesting. Maybe we can start an EQ anonymous alumni club. I was an EQ [EverQuest] addict myself in my mid-teens. Over a year of screen time sounds right. Sold my account for about $1,200 at 16, and used the money to buy my first car.
No MMORPG's for me since then, but I really enjoy a good RPG (Witcher series and Elder Scrolls mostly) and I'm a decent hand at shooters like Destiny, Mass Effect.

And... I have to admit I've been keeping my eye on Anthem...

biturbo

Post by biturbo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm

My /played time on WoW is a lot higher than I'd ever like to admit. I played a ton in the original and first few expansions, but a combination of life changes (getting married, having kids) and the game changing so much has made me play a lot less. I have played BfA a bunch and there is some fun stuff there, but I really miss the BC/WotLK days. I don't know if it is because of the state of the game itself, the fact that I had a lot of friends/co-workers to play with on there, or the amount of free time I had. Probably a combination of all 3.

I've tried other MMORPGs that have come out in the past 15 years or so since WoW has been out, but none of them have really compared and it is so hard to play more than one at a time because of how much time they can suck up.

I've mostly been playing Battlefield V for the past few months, but I imagine I'll end up back in WoW in a month or two.

Buccaneer82

Post by Buccaneer82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm

I really only ever played EQ started in 1999 when in high school and sold that for $500 a year later. Started again 01'-05' all through college which helped keep me out of trouble like most of my friends got into. Quit a few years for career building, restarted in 08' till 12' on the eqmac server but that was sunset. Then I found the al'kabor project server in like 16' and still play daily at work ;p Raid 2 nights a week, time at home is all family time otherwise. I tried WoW in the past and played some Quake 3 arena but never got into them or consoles much. Perhaps when my son is older I'll get into consoles with him.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

I played Ultima Online back from 1998ish until 2003/2004. That game was great because it was mostly skill based, not item based. Once UO began having special raids where you could get special enchanted equipment and better mounts I stopped playing. You just couldn’t compete with the people who played 60 hours/wk.

The older I’ve gotten the less I’ve played. The last few years I’ve played ridiculous amounts of Dark Souls 1/2/3 and Bloodborne. Those games had great online elements. The last game I played was God of War 4. Haven’t touched my PS4 since.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Glad to hear there are other MMO players here!

I started playing online games with text MUDS (multi-user dungeons) in 1996. The one I played the most was Avatar MUD, it was nice because during downtime as teaching assistant (or student) in computer labs I could telnet into the game and play.

Ultima Online was my first real graphical MMO in 2001, then we moved to Everquest for a year and then to Dark Age of Camelot. Played Shadowbane, Diablo2, and Star Wars Galaxies for a time in there too. Put a lot of time into Anarchy Online, still one of my favorite games, I just wish Funcom had a little more technical prowess to go with their amazing imaginations. After that we played WoW mostly from vanilla -> current expansion with breaks for Star Wars: TOR, Rift, Everquest 2, Vanguard: SOH, and FFXIV. Vanilla WoW was probably the worst addicted we've ever been to a game, we were in a guild that raided 5 nights per week and the other two days we still logged in to help the guild farm, with attunements, or do 20 man raids. Will never do anything like that again!

Now that we're in our 40's we quit chasing the raiding game with the last WoW expansion and now we just play FFXIV casually. I like the crafting/gardening and other non-combat content in that game and we do just enough PVE to get a high enough ilvl to keep the main story current. We also dabble in Path of Exile and Diablo3 a bit during the new seasons. It's much easier for us now to just play games where we can duo things on our own time and don't require rigid scheduling.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 pm

acegolfer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am

1. is not Pay to Win
2. make new friends

I've never heard of it but I looked it up and it seems similar to OGame, a space-themed empire building and resource management game. I played OGame for a while but I quit because I couldn't spend as much time near a PC and they never released a phone client.

A while ago I found an exact port of the game on my phone called Galaxy Reborn: Second Empire. It's got the best community (though small) of any game I've played, everyone is super helpful. Very long-term game. There are a few small "boosts" you can buy but it doesn't feel pay to win because they're totally unnecessary and they provide less and less benefits to stronger players which prevents snowballing. There's a lot of strategy centered around developing your infrastructure and economy, raiding other players with combat ships and in turn protecting your stuff from being stolen. The Boglehead in me enjoys investing in my mines to create a stream of passive income. 8-)

If anyone is interested in playing I'd recommend Universe 1. Just shoot me a PM with your in game name if you need help, I can even send some resources if you find the early game too slow.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 pm
acegolfer wrote:

1. is not Pay to Win
2. make new friends

I've never heard of it but I looked it up and it seems similar to OGame, a space-themed empire building and resource management game. I played OGame for a while but I quit because I couldn't spend as much time near a PC and they never released a phone client.

A while ago I found an exact port of the game on my phone called Galaxy Reborn: Second Empire. It's got the best community (though small) of any game I've played, everyone is super helpful. Very long-term game. There are a few small "boosts" you can buy but it doesn't feel pay to win because they're totally unnecessary and they provide less and less benefits to stronger players which prevents snowballing. There's a lot of strategy centered around developing your infrastructure and economy, raiding other players with combat ships and in turn protecting your stuff from being stolen. The Boglehead in me enjoys investing in my mines to create a stream of passive income. 8-)

If anyone is interested in playing I'd recommend Universe 1. Just shoot me a PM with your in game name if you need help, I can even send some resources if you find the early game too slow.
I a going to try it later. Can I link my app and an online account, so I can play either one with the same account? I don't have wifi outside of home, and games drain my phone battery a lot on my phone plus data.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm
tea_pirate wrote:
acegolfer wrote:

1. is not Pay to Win
2. make new friends

I a going to try it later. Can I link my app and an online account, so I can play either one with the same account? I don't have wifi outside of home, and games drain my phone battery a lot on my phone plus data.
I don't think you can play on PC natively unless you installed an emulator like Bluestacks and did it through there. But then you'd be able to play the same account on your phone and PC. For what it's worth I haven't noticed any worse battery drain on my phone than light web browsing, which makes sense since there's no intensive 3D graphics to render.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm
tea_pirate wrote:
acegolfer wrote:

1. is not Pay to Win
2. make new friends

I don't think you can play on PC natively unless you installed an emulator like Bluestacks and did it through there. But then you'd be able to play the same account on your phone and PC. For what it's worth I haven't noticed any worse battery drain on my phone than light web browsing, which makes sense since there's no intensive 3D graphics to render.
I play a simple baseball simulater on my phone and it drains it quickly. But maybe simulating the stats and games takes a lot of thinking power. Also don't want to be too tempted to use my phone away from home as it will use Data.

Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 am

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 pm
Dungeons and Dragons Online, baby.

Pure nerd here.
My friend used to run sound for that game.

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am

fortnite is amazing, not a MMORPG, but a MM

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am

I played WoW and was an officer in a well-regarded 3-night guild on my server (nothing excessive, but cracking the top 100 U.S.). This was for a few years in grad school ~circa WotLK and Cata.

I quit raiding in MoP, but I still have an account and will pop on now and then to dust off the cobwebs and say hi to folks. I still level up some characters at the start of a new expansion, but that’s about the extent of it.

I dabble in new MMO’s if I can find enough of the “old gang” to join up—but it usually only lasts for a month or so into the launch.

greenback

Post by greenback » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am

I've never been one for MMORPG games, I always preferred FPS. I've been playing Counter Strike since 1.6, and now regularly play Counter Strike Global Offensive!
You shouldn’t retire until your money starts making more money than you made in your best year.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Ran a couple of MUDs in undergrad and built a few dikuMUD areas that, last I checked, were still out there. MUD addiction got really bad my sophomore year and cost me some GPA points (played through part of a test once). Sold my non-immortal characters to a couple of classmates and broke the cycle, but because of that experience I will not allow myself to even try any of the modern MMORPGs. I know my potential for addiction is far too high so I won't let myself go near them despite the burning desire to. Now I limit myself to console gaming because I find that far, far less addictive. I may give in once I retire. :happy

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 pm

In the mid to late 90's, Nascar Racing by Papyrus was trending to the point where I was racing the likes of Dale Earnhardt Jr and Bobby Labonte. Not simulated stars, the real guys. Our league was the beta group for Papyrus so we got all the privy news and worked hard to debug before it went public. This was the dialup modem era and the server was initially in Boston. My phone bills were $300-$500/mo. The technology advanced to where 25-30 drivers could race on any local servers with DSL. There were leagues and talk of creation of online Nascar division. It was a big deal until about 2005. Sierra bought Papyrus, then EA Sports took over and ruined it. I-racing is now because of what came before it.

It was thru friendships there that 20 of us joined Everquest I at the same time about 20 years ago. If was freakishly fun and we formed our guild and conquered the Planes with the dragons and the biggest bad guys. But like was mentioned, it was I can only imagine, like crack cocaine, very addicting. I felt like if I wasn't there to support my guildmates, I was unworthy. I was self employed and had too much time on my hands to play all I wanted. I was relieved when I finally quit. Level 50 warrior, level 50 healer, level 50 monk.

I tinkered with several other MMORPG games, but never took others as seriously as EQ. Didn't want to waste that much time again.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Fortnite battle royalse gets all the press, but I really like fortnite save the world. 4 player coop kill zombies and build traps. Multiple weapon types and character types. Still in open access, but they have frequent updates and improvements.
Warframe is free to play, 3rd person “space ninja” shooter. you might need to put a few bucks in it occ.
single player, but the Witcher series is awesome.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Interesting thread and kind of revealing what with all the people posting about addiction. I wonder if decades from now the designers of these things won't be viewed as tobacco industry executives. It's clear a lot of features in the games are deliberately designed to be addictive.

Discovered WOW after I retired and got too heavily into it. I quit cold turkey and haven't gotten back on.

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Given that this is the Bogleheads forum, I'm really surprised that the thread isn't full of EVE Online players!

I used to play Eve more or less around the clock. Mining space rocks and building spaceships (and lots of guns and ammo!) was my thing.

Plus, of all of the MMO games I've ever found, it had the most developed market system and economy. (At one point, I was working on building a commodity futures trading platform for the game -- but then I decided that it was too much work to keep abreast of security threats for something that could only pay me in ISK.

In the end, I gave up the game when space filled up enough that the balance of power shifted too far away from independent explorers and toward organized policital unions. The activities that I found fun became way too risky, and the market eventually got sufficiently saturated, as the network of Alliances made deep space safer, so that the once-rare and exciting-to-find resources became widely available at a mere 20%-30% premium to cover Alliance tax and shipping fees.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 pm

GCD wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm
Interesting thread and kind of revealing what with all the people posting about addiction. I wonder if decades from now the designers of these things won't be viewed as tobacco industry executives. It's clear a lot of features in the games are deliberately designed to be addictive.

Discovered WOW after I retired and got too heavily into it. I quit cold turkey and haven't gotten back on.
Funny, the only time I could see myself having the time to play WoW is as a retiree. Sometimes I wonder if I'l try whatever the MMORPG equivalent is in 20-30 years. I think the comment about addiction and vilifying the industry has already gained traction in some Asian countries. It's an epidemic there, from some articles I've read. They have inpatient and outpatient counseling available

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 am

shelanman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm
I used to play Eve more or less around the clock. Mining space rocks and building spaceships (and lots of guns and ammo!) was my thing.
I considered Eve after WOW. It looked like there was a big learning curve and after sinking too much time into WOW I decided against it. I'm looking for a space game that I can do a lot of exploration. Combat is fine, but it is peripheral to just exploring new territory and discovering things that are valuable. Sounds like Eve is evolving away from that?

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 am

MMO? I had to look it up. Massive Multiplayer Online game. Does day trading online count?
Not me. Just asking.

bligh

Post by bligh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 am

shelanman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm
Given that this is the Bogleheads forum, I'm really surprised that the thread isn't full of EVE Online players!

Can I have your stuff? 😂

Good to see another EVE Online player here. Used to play this game quite a bit and it was almost like a second job. Like you, the nature of the game changed for me once the big alliances took hold. I still think fondly of my times playing it, and wish something similar existed. A game that captured the experience of the first few years of EVE.

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 am

I really miss EQ now that people have brought it up a couple of times, nothing like going on a corpse run in the early hours of the morning before work. I was in my early 20s when that came out and it consumed my life. I was in a "server first" guild in EQ and played from release through GoD before leaving for WoW. Played on a top guild there until we disbanded and then ended up doing the "buy expansion, level, quit, repeat" cycle all the way through the latest release. Now I'm mostly on PS4 playing AC and Overwatch on PC.

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 am

bligh wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 am
Can I have your stuff? 😂
Says every EVE player ever :D Nope, sorry.

I don't have much that's worth anything today (on any of my accounts -- either my original, or any of the ones I created the various times I decided to try to get into it again). That's actually probably not true. I probably have a stupid amount of value in Iso/Nocx and old unrefined rogue drone ores scattered all throughout empire on the oldest account, and probably a quarter bill of stuff on the newest account from when I tried again in 2015 or 2016. Alas, I was logged out for about a decade on the old account, and a huge amount of value was lost in that time, due to game changes. The biggest thing was that the mineral contents of stuff was changed -- and at the time, I had invested very heavily in mineral compression using armor hardeners and stuff. They then went and changed the mineral contents (and size) of those mods, and they were worth only 5-10% of their original value when I logged back in.

I originally found EVE back when EA shut down Earth&Beyond -- back in 2003? Space was super empty back then. We used to do crazy stuff that was fun then, but would be both instantly lethal and anyway not lucrative now. For example, a few of us used to rig Thoraxes for mining-and-escaping (plus an Iteron that we'd just leave empty in space somewhere), and just hide in Pure Blind or Venal mining and praying, avoiding rats both PC and NPC. Back then the nullsec ores were worth roughly 4-5x the value in ISK-per-hour (and fancy mining ships didn't exist), so even if we got blown up most nights, we'd still make what felt like a mint to us. I mean, it probably wasn't ever that much, but since all I was ever saving for was "another Dominix to replace the one I lost last week", it seemed like a lot.

Somewhere, there exist hundreds of killmails of my toons in EC-P8R, I'm sure.
Last edited by shelanman on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 am

Sold my FFXI account for $4k. Put close to 400 days online time into that game during 5 years of university... I swore to never touch MMORPG ever.

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 am

I used to play Warcraft 2 in high school.

I mostly played in the summers and not during the school year. There were two summers in early high school where I was (or felt) too old for camps but did not have jobs. (Not common in my area for kids under 16 to have jobs though some do). I lived in a suburban area that was not walkable and would basically play all day. Ugh. I would quit during the school year to not wreck my grades. Things were a little better the next two summers as I was working. Then right before college I got an office job. The first week, I sat and stared at a screen from 9-5:30, then sat on the subway for almost an hour, then had dinner and sat on my computer from 7-12. I did this for four days in a row and by Friday night I was logging into my computer and my eyes were bleary and my wrists hurt and I felt gross from not exercising.

I took out the game, snapped the CD in half and threw it in the trash. That was 16 years ago. I have played very few video games since. I've made a few stupid decisions in my life, but this was not one of them. At this point, I think my brain has been rewired and so I don't even like them when I try to play them.

Personally, I find bogleheads / reddit / etc. addicting enough. I don't need to add video games to that though I do understand those that love them and empathize with those that are addicted to them.

I worry about how humans are handling and going to handle increasingly stimulating online / virtual reality experiences (or drugs that are increasingly targeted to hit the reward centers of our brains).

tj218

Post by tj218 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm

jjunk wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 am
I really miss EQ now that people have brought it up a couple of times, nothing like going on a corpse run in the early hours of the morning before work. I was in my early 20s when that came out and it consumed my life. I was in a "server first" guild in EQ and played from release through GoD before leaving for WoW. Played on a top guild there until we disbanded and then ended up doing the "buy expansion, level, quit, repeat" cycle all the way through the latest release. Now I'm mostly on PS4 playing AC and Overwatch on PC.
www.project1999.com

Pulled me back in a few years ago. If you want to re-create the old times it was great, but realized I had to stop before the addiction set in.

Rest Assured

Post by Rest Assured » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Not MMORPGs specifically, but if a video game exists and was good 1998-2014, I've probably played it.

I avoided the MMORPG craze for various reasons, mostly because I disliked the monthly fee structure and was on 56k for a long time, so it would have been prohibitively expensive.

Nowadays, I sate my urges using <5 EUR bargain buys on Steam and GOG. My system is built around a Core 2 Quad Q9550, so I can't really play the newest games anyway. (Got an SSD for snappy system performance.)

I prefer either networking or improving my main hustle skills in my spare time.

I worry about the AR/VR future, I have a feeling it will be even more like crack than earlier games so I will avoid it for as long as is possible.

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

www.project1999.com

Pulled me back in a few years ago. If you want to re-create the old times it was great, but realized I had to stop before the addiction set in.
This may have just ruined my life.....thank you! :happy

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am

I avoided WOW. Star Wars Galaxies was an awesome sandbox game. I was in a highly ranked rebel guild, and we had our own town, spaceport etc....
Then two things happened. Star wars nerfed a lot of combat and their Jedi. Then WOW hit....Star Wars became a ghost town. It was amazing how everyone left for it. I knew I could not get sucked into it. Everquest =Evercrack,

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

I did play MUD games back in the day, mostly End of the Line (EOTL), even to point of being a "wizard" or programmer in the game. MUDs and their relatives are kind of radio to typical MMORGs. Everything is text-based. Many, including EOTL, are still around.

I never did get into the new graphical ones. I started playing other games on PC, usually space-themed. These days I have a turn-based strategy game that I play. It's open-source, of the spirit of Masters of Orion, and in constant development. You can get a multi-player version, and there's a group that organizes on the forums, but most people play stand-alone against the AIs.

It's called FreeOrion. Check it out if you might be interested. https://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

I played a lot of WoW back in the day, mostly because it was the only big MMORPG that ran on a Mac.

After all those expansions and rules changes and junk, it just got too... complicated. Which is one of the features and bugs with online games: You have to evolve along with them.

But I hear they're coming out with an "Classic" option this summer, where you can play the game essentially as it was circa 2006. I'm definitely going to check that out!
Stay on target...