NYC restaurant hidden gems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Valdeselad

NYC restaurant hidden gems?

Post by Valdeselad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi All,

Soon to be visiting NYC Manhattan and wondering if any folks here knew of any “hidden gem” restaurants in the city? Will be staying on the west side near 8th and 40th but up for anything within a 20 minute walk.

Thanks for any tips!

dustinst22

Re: NYC restaurant hidden gems?

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 pm

If you like Asian food, highly recommend Buddakan. Little over a mile from that area.

Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 pm
If you like Asian food, highly recommend Buddakan. Little over a mile from that area.
Thanks for the recommendation!

NJ-Irish

Post by NJ-Irish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm

I usually go out to dinner in the west village. It might be on the long side of a 20 minute walk but here are some of my favorites:

Red Farm - Chinese fusion - no reservations and a long wait but worth it. Lots of good bars to drink at in the area.

Chumleys - best $30 burger in the city. Need a reservation

Corner Bistro - best $13 burger in the city.

Pizza Loves Emily. - pizza and burgers. Long wait again but great.

Mermaid Inn, Pearl Oyster Bar both serve good lobster rolls, a bit out of season but they are great.

Katana Kitten is a great place to drink - also have good sandwiches and snacks.

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 pm

I'm usually down around the Village as well and would second the Mermaid/Pearl Oyster Bar tips above, but up closer to midtown?

Her Name is Han - Korean, 31st and Madison.
Persepolis - Persian, 73rd and 2nd.

If you make it down lower, I haven't been to these in a while but had great meals.

Upstate - Seafood, 6th and 1st.
Pylos - Greek, 7th and Avenue A.
Haile - Ethiopian, 12th and Avenue B.

Macao Trading Company waaaaay down on Church is kind of a cool place, too, but has a pretty intense vibe. Depends on who you're with.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Ramen: Totto (midtown manhattan)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Basta Pasta ( 17th street off 5th) Italian Asian Fusion
Esca (theater district; Italian/Fish/Just wonderful
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm

NJ-Irish wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm
I usually go out to dinner in the west village. It might be on the long side of a 20 minute walk but here are some of my favorites:
From there it’s about 35-40 minutes. However the 1 train is great and will get you to Christopher Street in just a couple of minutes.

+1 for West Village for awesome food.
If you want more gems in the rough just head a a bit east into greenwich or east village.

:sharebeer

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm

http://www.parisibakery.com/ Little Italy great subs.Take out.
http://www.newwong.com/ Chinatown behind Fairfield Inn Huge bowl of noodles & dumpling - $6
https://www.clintonsqpizza.com/ East Manhattan near Manhattan Bridge - best for take out.
Skip tourist trap Little Italy go to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. https://www.bronxlittleitaly.com/

Bring cash
Too soon old, too late smart.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 pm

This thread is making me hungry. NYC is by far the best in the US for food.

pejp

Post by pejp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm

You're severely limiting yourself with the 20mins walk restriction, although apologies if it's down to a mobility issue, but Manhattan (the areas you'd want to be in), really isn't that big. The West Village is literally 10-15mins in a cab from where you are. Midtown is probably the area where NY'ers go out in the least. There are obviously good restaurants everywhere, but you'll have a more 'authentic' experience if you just head downtown. Tourists often have this obsession with staying near Times Sq, when if anything, Midtown is probably the least interesting area you could stay in.

I mentioned it on a recent thread, but my two 'hidden gem' restaurants would be Freemans on the Lower East Side, or Supper, which is East Village. Although if you do insist on staying within a 20mins walk, I'd second Totto Ramen. The original is on 52nd btw 8th/9th. You'll be in for a long wait and a cramped space, but it's worth it. They opened a new one on 51st between 9th/10th, which is a lot larger. I was just there 2 weeks ago, and the food is fantastic, although the atmosphere isn't quite as fun as the original. If you want a really great steakhouse experience in a historic restaurant, Keens is awesome and consistently excellent.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 am

a lot of the restaurants mentioned are pretty famous, I'd say (not saying they're bad, but maybe not "hidden gems" - Buddakan was in one of the Sex and the City movies, I think). Thanks to yelp and sites like eater and grubstreet, good places don't stay hidden for very long, so you're asking a tough question. the best 20 minute radius hidden gem list for a day for me would be:

Breakfast - Underwest Donuts (47th and the West Side Highway, located in an old car wash) - great coffee, great donuts (maple waffle is the ultimate), sugar rush fuels the day's walking
Lunch - Hanjan (26th and Broadway) - for my money, the best Korean in the city, though I haven't tried the newest hot places. fresh tofu to start with the sizzling bibimbap is an amazing and surprisingly economical lunch. Conveniently located near Eataly, so you can go walk around and have gelato for dessert.
Dinner - there are a lot of good recommendations above. Emily would probably be my top choice, but it's a little beyond your distance range. I'd maybe instead plug Covina (26th and Park Ave S) or Marta (29th and Madison). Both have excellent pizza and cocktails, and Covina serves up a phenomenal burger.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I'm not sure what you're into, OP, but elevator shaft restaurants are a thing and are authentic. A fine dining experience they are not. The time to visit is for lunch.
PJW

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

NJ-Irish wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Red Farm - Chinese fusion - no reservations and a long wait but worth it. Lots of good bars to drink at in the area.

Chumleys - best $30 burger in the city. Need a reservation

Corner Bistro - best $13 burger in the city.

Pizza Loves Emily. - pizza and burgers. Long wait again but great.

Mermaid Inn, Pearl Oyster Bar both serve good lobster rolls, a bit out of season but they are great.

Katana Kitten is a great place to drink - also have good sandwiches and snacks.
$30 burger and you need a reservation. That is hilarious. I just made burgers for my family of 4. The beef was $8.95 and that is high for a pound, but it was grass-fed that I bought directly for a farmer in upstate NY. It was some of the best ground meat I've ever had.

PS - I'm not trying to cut on you here. Just the idea of a $30 burger.

NJ-Irish

Post by NJ-Irish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

$30 burger and you need a reservation. That is hilarious. I just made burgers for my family of 4. The beef was $8.95 and that is high for a pound, but it was grass-fed that I bought directly for a farmer in upstate NY. It was some of the best ground meat I've ever had.

You should try it before you dismiss it. It’s also not a place I would bring kids.

Personally, I would rather make reservation than wait in a long line. I would also rather wait in a long line than eat at a place with bad food.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Only the burger is draped in a rich, fatty layer of bone marrow, fried onions, crisp shallots, American cheese, and a tangy, spicy barbecue sauce made with mango, coffee, and jalapeño. -GQ
Honestly, it sounds delicious.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Well you are staying in the tourist trap section of Manhattan and so will be subject to the most expensive and worst restaurants in the city. The best places are in Brooklyn and Queens so you may want to invest in a metro card!

For example:

https://ny.eater.com/maps/where-to-eat- ... -chinatown

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Lots of great stuff to try! And just to clarify, I’m not opposed to cabbing it to try a spot. I was just trying to define the area somewhat so that if an evening walk was possible I could enjoy that. Thanks again!

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 pm

You should definitely not limit yourself to midtown. A few thoughts:

Lavagna- Italian in east village

Cafe Habana - Pan Latin on LES

Mamoun’s - falafel in the village (slight hole in the wall but cheap and good!)

Ess a Bagel - bagels midtown east (you can probably walk to this one)

Joe’s Pizza - Carmine Street (although good Pizza can indeed be found all over the city)

Agree with corner bistro

The options are virtually unlimited...

lacseul

Post by lacseul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 am

for breakfast -Norma's. A bit pricey but great.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm

My spouse does an annual Labour Day weekend trip to NYC, full of shows and foodie eating. They've built up quite a list of favorite restaurants. My spouse and I had the opportunity to visit NYC this year in mid-November and we tried a couple of new restaurants that immediately made the cut for their restaurant list.

My favorite was Casa Nonna - New York City for Italian. We had an enjoyable dinner and then walked to Madison Square Garden to watch a Rangers game.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

But how much did you pay for the kitchen and dining room?

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Great location! You'll be surrounded by NYC's finest cuisine: Dallas BBQ, Hard Rock Cafe, and Applebee's.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Kiki’s LES for moussaka

Decoy for Peking duck

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Not sure but the last time we visited Little Italy had a lot of great food.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"