Expensive DSLR through airport security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Keepcalm
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Keepcalm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

I am bringing my Canon 5D Mark IV with a 24-70 2.8 II attached in my carryon. Thats roughly 5K worth of gear. Are they still requiring passengers put DSLR's in a separate bin for security? I know laptops still need to be seperated.

Something about wheeling that thing through in plain site worries me.

Experiences flyers with DSLR's, please lay it on me.

Thanks.

LifeIsGood
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm

I’ve got the same gear (plus a 70-200 2.8) and I keep it in a small camera backpack. This setup makes the contents invisible to everyone but the scanner and makes it so much easier to carry.

livesoft
Posts: 64128
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm

I've never had to remove my dSLR and lenses from my backpack. Ever.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Copper John
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Copper John » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm

I have traveled numerous times over the last 15 years with my DSLRs and lenses packed in a separate camera bag that also contained some items of clothing without problems for the most part.

Except for two incidents, this bag has been placed on the conveyer belt and gone though screening without having to open the bag.

On one occasion I was transferring flights in Frankfurt, Germany en route back home to the U.S. and the security agent made me unpack my camera bodies and lenses and chastised me for not doing so before going through the screening. I replied I had never had to do so in Frankfurt or any other airport. The second time I had an issue I was flying Ethiopian Air and they weighed my carry on luggage and said it was too heavy and wanted me to check it. No way and the agent relented and let me go through.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm
I've never had to remove my dSLR and lenses from my backpack. Ever.
I hadn't either until I flew last month. They are now asking for everything electronic bigger than a phone to be pulled out.

So I'm using lots of bins in the line ... for a laptop, for an ipad, for a bridge camera (roughly small dslr size). This may vary by airport/mood of security that day, but I definitely had to pull the camera last trip.

They also were unsure of the "consistency" of some of the snacks I had in the backpack, so after screening I had to pull and show them my snacks.

livesoft
Posts: 64128
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm

I am a Known Traveler and always get TSA pre-check.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm
I've never had to remove my dSLR and lenses from my backpack. Ever.
And following a brief search, see this:

https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-ins ... ty-updates

or

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 90789.html

It becomes ever more painful ......

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm
I am a Known Traveler and always get TSA pre-check.
Yes, if you have pre-check AND there is a pre-check screening line (not the case at one airport I went through last month) you will not have to remove electronics from your carry-ons.

stimulacra
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by stimulacra » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Pack your camera body separated from the lens. If they ask you to take it out in the bin do so.

I've flown on a dozen flights in the last four months with over $20k worth of photography gear (dSLR, 4k video cameras, Fuji rangefinders, drone batteries, etc…) no one has asked me to take the camera out or gave a second glance at the batteries or external hard drives I had tucked away in my bags.

They are sticklers for laptops and tablets though.

5D mk II is a nice camera but with the body lens cap on, it looks like a Rebel or 80d or 7D, etc… having an L series lens will probably be what draws unwanted attention to you. Keep it separate.

Gaffers tape to cover up the Canon logo and model name will help make it look more stealth. You can tape up the corners to make it look more beat up and also protect it a bit from dings. Use GooGone to remove any adhesive residue and it will look brand new again.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2415
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:35 pm

I was once (in the US) asked to take camera and lenses out for inspection and swabbing.

No problem, cost a few extra minutes. I have never been asked to put these in a bin. Is this something new?

livesoft
Posts: 64128
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Gaffers tape to cover up the Canon logo and model name will help make it look more stealth.
There is no need to try to disguise a camera or make it look stealth. I think it "stealth" would make it look more suspicious.

And the TSA folks don't care about your L lenses whether they have the red ring or are even white. It just doesn't matter.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stimulacra
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by stimulacra » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Gaffers tape to cover up the Canon logo and model name will help make it look more stealth.
There is no need to try to disguise a camera or make it look stealth. I think it "stealth" would make it look more suspicious.

And the TSA folks don't care about your L lenses whether they have the red ring or are even white. It just doesn't matter.
I don't think OP was specifically worried about TSA agents.

User avatar
yatesd
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:19 am
Location: MD

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by yatesd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm
I am a Known Traveler and always get TSA pre-check.
I didn't know you liked to travel :wink:

It does make things easier and some credit cards will pay for the Global Entry fee. I don't remember having to remove any camera stuff from it's bag. That being said, my camera bags usually look like a camera bag so not necessarily inconspicuous.
Last edited by yatesd on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5665
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Regularly travel with professional photo gear. Backpack with several Full Frame Bodies, "L" zooms and primes, etc $$$$$$$$. Goes through the scanner. No problem.

One "Huge" Caution. The "Rubber Rocket Blower" air blowers look like ordinance in the TSA Scanner. Absolutely do not put it in your carry on!!!!! :oops:

Also suggest keeping your photographic gear in "One" backpack or case. TSA Federal regulations allow "One" "Dedicated" camera bag "in addition" to carry on luggage. I have that printed out from the TSA Fed website and enclosed in my photo case along with a copy of my boarding pass/ticket, etc, etc.

TSA folks scan photo gear all day long. Just be cooperative and blend. No problems. :D

MarkBarb
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by MarkBarb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 pm

It seems semi-random to me. Some TSA agents let me go through taking out nothing but a laptop. Others want things like Kindles taken out. I had one goomer demand that we take out everything with a screen. We are an electronic heavy family, so they waited while we took out multiple DSLRs, phones, Ninendo DSes, and Kindle Paperwhites in addition to our laptops. It was ridiculous.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:35 pm
I was once (in the US) asked to take camera and lenses out for inspection and swabbing.

No problem, cost a few extra minutes. I have never been asked to put these in a bin. Is this something new?
I guess my previous post on this wasn't clear. TSA announced new rules for the screening of electronics in 2017, and started rolling out the new procedures, beginning with a subset of US airports. See for example this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 89f283add3

So the posters in this thread saying they have traveled a million times with dSLRs and never had to remove them from carry-ons are doubtless telling the truth, but unless they have traveled recently through an airport which has implemented the new screening rules and are not TSA pre-check their comments may not be completely informed.

I do not know how strictly the new rule is being enforced. I have traveled with the same gear numerous times since 2016; last month was the first time I've had to remove the camera.

To the OPs original concern about everybody seeing the camera -- everybody is already seeing you remove expensive laptops and such, you just need to watch your carry-ons carefully, which, well, you want to anyway.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm
Regularly travel with professional photo gear. Backpack with several Full Frame Bodies, "L" zooms and primes, etc $$$$$$$$. Goes through the scanner. No problem.

One "Huge" Caution. The "Rubber Rocket Blower" air blowers look like ordinance in the TSA Scanner. Absolutely do not put it in your carry on!!!!! :oops:

Also suggest keeping your photographic gear in "One" backpack or case. TSA Federal regulations allow "One" "Dedicated" camera bag "in addition" to carry on luggage. I have that printed out from the TSA Fed website and enclosed in my photo case along with a copy of my boarding pass/ticket, etc, etc.

TSA folks scan photo gear all day long. Just be cooperative and blend. No problems. :D
I was NOT aware of the "Dedicated camera bag" rule ... that is interesting. Thanks for mentioning that!

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm

You're completely missing the point. the scanners aren't an issue and nobody cares about your DSLR. You can leave in your bag.

About half an hour later, somebody is going to take that bag containing your DSLR and toss it down a 15ft plastic ramp, and it's going to land on concrete. And then it's going to get thrown (literally) into a cargo bin and thrown back out an hour or two later.

Then you'll get it back, carry it to the next concourse/gate, and start the whole process over again for your connecting flight.

Oh, almost forget, while it's true that the TSA guys don't care about your DSLR, the Rocket Blower that looks like an RPG... well there you might have an issue.

stimulacra
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by stimulacra » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm
I guess my previous post on this wasn't clear. TSA announced new rules for the screening of electronics in 2017, and started rolling out the new procedures, beginning with a subset of US airports. See for example this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 89f283add3

So the posters in this thread saying they have traveled a million times with dSLRs and never had to remove them from carry-ons are doubtless telling the truth, but unless they have traveled recently through an airport which has implemented the new screening rules and are not TSA pre-check their comments may not be completely informed.
Yes, I've traveled through TSA checkpoints where it was clearly stated on signs that anything larger than a cell phone needed to be removed and placed in separately in a bin. The first time I started to remove my FujiFilm out of my messenger bag but was told by the TSA agent to leave it, just remove my tablet and laptop.

Since then, I have not bothered to remove any of my photo gear from my carryon bag, messenger bag, or Think Tank bag (when carrying it). It hasn't been an issue. Carrying spare DJI lithium batteries in a sketchy looking nylon velcro bag didn't even garner a second glance from the scanner operator. A large desktop external drive has been the only thing that triggered a swab check.

I'm not saying that this will always be the case, this has just been my personal experience under the new guidelines at numerous airports, domestic and international. TSA agents and checkpoints have a lot of leeway and discretion (as they should) in terms of implementing guidelines and assessing each situation.

YMMV.

Topic Author
Keepcalm
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Keepcalm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm
You're completely missing the point. the scanners aren't an issue and nobody cares about your DSLR. You can leave in your bag.

About half an hour later, somebody is going to take that bag containing your DSLR and toss it down a 15ft plastic ramp, and it's going to land on concrete. And then it's going to get thrown (literally) into a cargo bin and thrown back out an hour or two later.

Then you'll get it back, carry it to the next concourse/gate, and start the whole process over again for your connecting flight.

Oh, almost forget, while it's true that the TSA guys don't care about your DSLR, the Rocket Blower that looks like an RPG... well there you might have an issue.
its a carry on. You also seem confused on how airports work because your check in bags go to your final destination.

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm
You're completely missing the point. the scanners aren't an issue and nobody cares about your DSLR. You can leave in your bag.

About half an hour later, somebody is going to take that bag containing your DSLR and toss it down a 15ft plastic ramp, and it's going to land on concrete. And then it's going to get thrown (literally) into a cargo bin and thrown back out an hour or two later.

Then you'll get it back, carry it to the next concourse/gate, and start the whole process over again for your connecting flight.

Oh, almost forget, while it's true that the TSA guys don't care about your DSLR, the Rocket Blower that looks like an RPG... well there you might have an issue.
its a carry on. You also seem confused on how airports work because your check in bags go to your final destination.
You are allowed to take your carry-on bag through TSA security to the gate, at which point it will be confiscated in the gate-check process, since most of us have to travel on aircraft too small to accommodate it anywhere other than the cargo bin. You have a serious DSLR (probably two bodies), 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, and maybe a 100-400 or something else longer, flash, batteries, charger, grip, your laptop... tough fitting that under the seat (especially in a padded case) in a Dash-8. So your bag will be tossed into the cargo compartment along with the checked bags, but unlike the checked bags, which will be shuttled off to your connnecting flight, your gate-checked bag will be handed to you immediately when you deplane, so you can repeat the process on your connecting flight. I like this much better than having the bag checked through to its destination, but do really wish it were possible to keep my equipment with me, as I can do on much larger aircraft.

And yes I have traveled many times since 2017 and have never had the DSLR draw any particular interest from TSA. The Rocket Blower, though, used to have a 100% hit rate, until I learned to proactively take it out and show it to the TSA person. At my local airport, where I've done that more than once, I've gotten an "I remember you!" in response.

I usually travel with two bodies and six lenses, which combined are worth much less than your body and lens. Along with a little bubblewrap, they occupy 90+% of a 22in roll-a-board. You really do have to be prepared to have your bag taken at any time, like when you find out you're flying on a huge jet ... but your boarding group number is higher than your age, meaning all the overhead space will be taken - and so will your bag. That's the worst case on some airlines, because they check your bag through to your destination, and you have no choice in the matter. Some airlines use different terms for bags you will get back when you deplane (like "sky check") and reserve "gate check" for bags you won't get back except from baggage claim at your final destination (maybe.)

lazydavid
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am
You are allowed to take your carry-on bag through TSA security to the gate, at which point it will be confiscated in the gate-check process, since most of us have to travel on aircraft too small to accommodate it anywhere other than the cargo bin. You have a serious DSLR (probably two bodies), 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, and maybe a 100-400 or something else longer, flash, batteries, charger, grip, your laptop... tough fitting that under the seat (especially in a padded case) in a Dash-8. So your bag will be tossed into the cargo compartment along with the checked bags, but unlike the checked bags, which will be shuttled off to your connnecting flight, your gate-checked bag will be handed to you immediately when you deplane, so you can repeat the process on your connecting flight. I like this much better than having the bag checked through to its destination, but do really wish it were possible to keep my equipment with me, as I can do on much larger aircraft.
When I travel light, it's just the body and attached 18-200 lens in a small case that fits inside my backpack. If I need any more than that, I bring all my gear in a dedicated Pelican 1510 rollaboard. This usually contains two bodies, five or six lenses, telextender, two flashes and a bunch of accessories. Total MSRP is right around $12k. I don't believe I've ever been required to gate check it (maybe one time many years ago on a teeny plane with minimal/no overhead), but have locks on it (and an insurance rider!) in case I do. And of course, in that heavily padded and indestructible case, if they drop it, NBD. The shoulder bag I'll carry around while at my destination is in my checked luggage full of socks and underwear, so it consumes almost no incremental space.

On the main topic, I've never had to open my Pelican at security EVER, and that includes last summer/fall after the new electronics rules went into effect. It just sails right through the scanner.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 am

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am
Keepcalm wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm
You're completely missing the point. the scanners aren't an issue and nobody cares about your DSLR. You can leave in your bag.

About half an hour later, somebody is going to take that bag containing your DSLR and toss it down a 15ft plastic ramp, and it's going to land on concrete. And then it's going to get thrown (literally) into a cargo bin and thrown back out an hour or two later.

Then you'll get it back, carry it to the next concourse/gate, and start the whole process over again for your connecting flight.

Oh, almost forget, while it's true that the TSA guys don't care about your DSLR, the Rocket Blower that looks like an RPG... well there you might have an issue.
its a carry on. You also seem confused on how airports work because your check in bags go to your final destination.
You are allowed to take your carry-on bag through TSA security to the gate, at which point it will be confiscated in the gate-check process, since most of us have to travel on aircraft too small to accommodate it anywhere other than the cargo bin. You have a serious DSLR (probably two bodies), 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, and maybe a 100-400 or something else longer, flash, batteries, charger, grip, your laptop... tough fitting that under the seat (especially in a padded case) in a Dash-8. So your bag will be tossed into the cargo compartment along with the checked bags, but unlike the checked bags, which will be shuttled off to your connnecting flight, your gate-checked bag will be handed to you immediately when you deplane, so you can repeat the process on your connecting flight. I like this much better than having the bag checked through to its destination, but do really wish it were possible to keep my equipment with me, as I can do on much larger aircraft.

And yes I have traveled many times since 2017 and have never had the DSLR draw any particular interest from TSA. The Rocket Blower, though, used to have a 100% hit rate, until I learned to proactively take it out and show it to the TSA person. At my local airport, where I've done that more than once, I've gotten an "I remember you!" in response.

I usually travel with two bodies and six lenses, which combined are worth much less than your body and lens. Along with a little bubblewrap, they occupy 90+% of a 22in roll-a-board. You really do have to be prepared to have your bag taken at any time, like when you find out you're flying on a huge jet ... but your boarding group number is higher than your age, meaning all the overhead space will be taken - and so will your bag. That's the worst case on some airlines, because they check your bag through to your destination, and you have no choice in the matter. Some airlines use different terms for bags you will get back when you deplane (like "sky check") and reserve "gate check" for bags you won't get back except from baggage claim at your final destination (maybe.)
We are drifting from the OPs actual question, but how to handle camera gear while traveling is of interest to several of us.

In fact, it's been extremely rare that I haven't had space for both my "larger" carry-on and a backpack. Very few times have I been forced to gate-check. You must travel on a lot more smaller planes than I do. That said, one must allow for that possibility when putting anything valuable/fragile in carry-on.

Because I am not taking pictures for money, when traveling by air I take the opposite approach from you -- I usually go with something like my bridge camera, an FZ1000, that I can take good pictures with in most situations. If I took the dSLR, I would probably suck it up and take a single 16-300 lens. Not optimal, but well, I wind up going with convenience over lugging around lots of gear. And I was reading a blog post by Scott Kelby (whose photography books and such I've found generally useful) last year where he notes than when on vacation, he takes a dSLR with a single super-zoom lens, just to reduce the gear hassle.

If I was taking pictures for money, OR going on that once-in-lifetime African photo safari, yeah, I'd take the dSLR with more lenses and research Sandtrap's point on "dedicated camera bags."

I will repeat my other observation -- I'd never been asked to pull the camera gear before my trip in December, but was asked then. If you look at the TSA website, it certainly appears like they want you to remove larger electronic gear -- a dSLR body is obviously bigger than a cell phone (when including depth). For my FZ1000, this is not a hassle; I have the camera in a small holster in my backpack and it is easy to remove. I am getting better at packing so that if I have to pull practically everything out of my backpack, I can do so reasonably quickly.

And finally, TSA pre-check is awesome, but again, on this last trip, at one airport the line was "unstaffed or unavailable" or somesuch, and the pre-check folks had to go through the regular line. Presumably that is rare (I'm sure some pre-check traveler will now tell me that has never happened to them and they travel a million times a year) but it can happen.

The exact scanning procedures you will encounter will vary as rules change (I theorize we will see more cameras get checked as these new rules get more established, but I don't really know). And yes, sometimes the variations in procedure appear entirely random to me.

stimulacra
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by stimulacra » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am

For those interested in traveling light and not looking like “light infantry” while on vacation; David Hobby's approach to travel photography below might be of interest.

https://youtu.be/QMpwhHnZs3E

It convinced me to shift away from lugging around my dSLR and having a need for a dedicated camera bag for personal travel.

Replace the FujiFilm X100S with the updated X100F to bring this into 2019.

Superzoom/bridge camera is a great option as well for traveling light and collecting reference shots that won't be enlarged much. Been debating which 2nd camera I could take to barbell strategy the aperture portrait shots for those few shots you really want to work a bit more.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm
I am a Known Traveler and always get TSA pre-check.
I am a known traveler and my little local airport where each of my trips starts has “modified” TSA Pre. That means, I can keep my jacket and shoes on and walk through a metal detector instead of the nudeoscope, but I still have to take liquids, food items and all electronics larger than a phone out of my carry-on bags. Personally I tend to “forget” about my camera and lenses and no one has complained. A Kindle Oasis, however, about the size of a phablet, has triggered a rescan and thus now gets taken out proactively. I guess I mentally don’t consider a lens to be an electronic device and I suspect the shapes are pretty easy to recognize on the X-ray.

TSA Pre doesn’t help at foreign airports, and rules vary widely. But I don’t think I was ever asked to take out my camera or lenses.

If I am traveling by myself, I arrange my stuff in bins so that the least valuable looking items go into the X-ray first. E.g. roll aboard with clothes. The laptop and iPad go last, so by the time they show up on the other side I have hopefully made it through the scanning process myself.

Teague
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am

One time my bag full of lenses, flashes, camera body, etc. in a roll-on really caught the TSA's attention. Not sure why, there was no rocket blower in there. They opened it, swabbed it for explosive residue, sniffed it, asked me some questions, and generally made me feel like a junior terrorist by the time it was all over. But I got to keep it with me. Though the flight attendant was less that thrilled to hoist that heavy bag into the overhead compartment.
Semper Augustus

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 am

I've never been asked to put it in a bin.

I had to remove it only at the request of TSA once in the US (post scanner). I had to remove it once in Austria as well (also post scanner). In both cases I'm not sure if it was the DSLR or the fact I had not only my DSLR and lenses in the bag - but also all sorts of other electronics and chargers stuffed in their that wanted them to do a closer inspection. In the latter case they swabbed down my DSLR for a run through the explosives machine as well. I'm TSA Pre-check so in the former case my laptop was also in the bag with its power-supply.

Just leave it in the bag - if it catches their attention there is usually a special table whereby they will take it out and inspect it.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am

stimulacra wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am
For those interested in traveling light and not looking like “light infantry” while on vacation; David Hobby's approach to travel photography below might be of interest.

https://youtu.be/QMpwhHnZs3E

It convinced me to shift away from lugging around my dSLR and having a need for a dedicated camera bag for personal travel.

Replace the FujiFilm X100S with the updated X100F to bring this into 2019.

Superzoom/bridge camera is a great option as well for traveling light and collecting reference shots that won't be enlarged much. Been debating which 2nd camera I could take to barbell strategy the aperture portrait shots for those few shots you really want to work a bit more.
If you go with a bridge camera with a 1" sensor (like the FZ1000, or the Sony RX10 IV) you can take pictures that look good quite large (I can use images from my camera as backgrounds on my Apple 27" monitor ... they look very good). Personally (tastes differ) I would not take one of the superzooms with the smaller sensors as my only camera; much less effective in low light than the bridge cameras I like.

SRenaeP
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am
One time my bag full of lenses, flashes, camera body, etc. in a roll-on really caught the TSA's attention. Not sure why, there was no rocket blower in there. They opened it, swabbed it for explosive residue, sniffed it, asked me some questions, and generally made me feel like a junior terrorist by the time it was all over. But I got to keep it with me. Though the flight attendant was less that thrilled to hoist that heavy bag into the overhead compartment.
You certainly got a nice flight attendant. They are not required or even expected to stow passenger luggage. IMO, you bring it, you sling it. :)

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by wander » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I brought my DSLR camera in carry-on luggage to Europe last year. Nobody asked any question at the TSA security check point.

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am
You are allowed to take your carry-on bag through TSA security to the gate, at which point it will be confiscated in the gate-check process, since most of us have to travel on aircraft too small to accommodate it anywhere other than the cargo bin. You have a serious DSLR (probably two bodies), 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, and maybe a 100-400 or something else longer, flash, batteries, charger, grip, your laptop... tough fitting that under the seat (especially in a padded case) in a Dash-8. So your bag will be tossed into the cargo compartment along with the checked bags, but unlike the checked bags, which will be shuttled off to your connnecting flight, your gate-checked bag will be handed to you immediately when you deplane, so you can repeat the process on your connecting flight. I like this much better than having the bag checked through to its destination, but do really wish it were possible to keep my equipment with me, as I can do on much larger aircraft.
When I travel light, it's just the body and attached 18-200 lens in a small case that fits inside my backpack. If I need any more than that, I bring all my gear in a dedicated Pelican 1510 rollaboard. This usually contains two bodies, five or six lenses, telextender, two flashes and a bunch of accessories. Total MSRP is right around $12k. I don't believe I've ever been required to gate check it (maybe one time many years ago on a teeny plane with minimal/no overhead), but have locks on it (and an insurance rider!) in case I do. And of course, in that heavily padded and indestructible case, if they drop it, NBD. The shoulder bag I'll carry around while at my destination is in my checked luggage full of socks and underwear, so it consumes almost no incremental space.

On the main topic, I've never had to open my Pelican at security EVER, and that includes last summer/fall after the new electronics rules went into effect. It just sails right through the scanner.
The 1510 is about the size of a regular roll-a-board, at 22x14x9. I'm extremely surprised you are allowed to carry it on board a regional jet (CRJ, notably) or turboprop like the Dash-8, but will take your word for it if you've actually done that. It is definitely better protection for when you aren't allowed to board with it, though.

Captain_Video
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Florida's Space Coast

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Captain_Video » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Last summer I flew from Orlando to Greece. I carried a Canon t5i and flash in a small sling bag as a personal item. At every security check, except Orlando, the camera had to go in a bin. A couple times I had to remove the lens cap for the agent to look into the lens and also had to turn on the camera to demonstrate it was a functioning camera (there was no concern with the flash however). I also had a standard 21 inch carry-on. At every boarding point except Orlando I was forced to gate check the carry-on bag because the gate agent said it was too big. The bag was put in with all the other checked bags and I got it at the baggage claim on arrival. The planes I flew on were A320s; these are not small planes.

lazydavid
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:49 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 pm
The 1510 is about the size of a regular roll-a-board, at 22x14x9. I'm extremely surprised you are allowed to carry it on board a regional jet (CRJ, notably) or turboprop like the Dash-8, but will take your word for it if you've actually done that. It is definitely better protection for when you aren't allowed to board with it, though.
I've definitely taken it on a CRJ (probably the 700), and likely an ERJ-175 or something of that nature. I don't think I've ever been on a Dash-8, and thinking back, I did have to stair-check it on an ATR turboprop about 15 years ago, because the overhead was too small. We boarded via the stairs from the tarmac, so I actually saw them load and unload it. But admittedly, most of my flights are on mainline metal, typically narrowbodies like the 737, A320, or MD80 back in the day. Never an issue on those.

dknightd
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by dknightd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm
I am bringing my Canon 5D Mark IV with a 24-70 2.8 II attached in my carryon. Thats roughly 5K worth of gear. Are they still requiring passengers put DSLR's in a separate bin for security? I know laptops still need to be seperated.

Something about wheeling that thing through in plain site worries me.

Experiences flyers with DSLR's, please lay it on me.

Thanks.
Keepcalm. That is my advice. Keepcalm. Keep an eye on it if you are worried. Keep Calm. Likely not an issue at all.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4558
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Europe has been asking for small electronics to be removed for at least a year now. I don't know exactly when it started. And my known traveler number does not work there.

shelanman
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by shelanman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 am

The main thing is to keep your gear with you until you're ready to go through the scanner. The main thing you want to minimize is time where your gear is past security, but you're still in a queue. Especially if you've had to take it out and put it in a visible bin.

If you're really concerned, you can ask to opt-out of the standard screening with the human-sized x-rays. You'll get taken to a private room, with all of your stuff, and you and the stuff will be thoroughly screened. Be extremely polite when requesting this. In theory, the TSA has to honor your request and treat you courteously. In reality, TSA officers have almost unlimited authority to make your day unpleasant with no consequences whatsoever.

You will probably waste 10 extra minutes, and you will probably get a screening made extra thorough and annoying in order to discourage you from opting out in the future. But you should be allowed to be screened with your belongings present, if you're really worried.

Honestly, though, if you're that worried, inquire with your homeowner's insurance provider and see if you can get a rider to insure the gear, and then just don't worry about it.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3645
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:46 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm
I hadn't either until I flew last month. They are now asking for everything electronic bigger than a phone to be pulled out.
DW and I left last week for Barcelona. I had my EOS kit in a camera bag which was then stuffed down inside a backpack, I just put the backpack through the X-ray with no issues. It may be that having TSA Precheck (actually Global Entry) might be the difference.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Trism
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by Trism » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm
livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm
I've never had to remove my dSLR and lenses from my backpack. Ever.
I hadn't either until I flew last month. They are now asking for everything electronic bigger than a phone to be pulled out.

So I'm using lots of bins in the line ... for a laptop, for an ipad, for a bridge camera (roughly small dslr size). This may vary by airport/mood of security that day, but I definitely had to pull the camera last trip.

They also were unsure of the "consistency" of some of the snacks I had in the backpack, so after screening I had to pull and show them my snacks.
If you don't have TSA Pre-Check this is consistent with the instructions I heard in the regular security line just this week.

I wouldn't know this if I hadn't accidentally let Global Entry expire, which took my Pre-Check with it. :(

smackboy1
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm
Are they still requiring passengers put DSLR's in a separate bin for security? I know laptops still need to be seperated.
It depends on the discretion of the TSA agent screening you. We have flown 3 times in 2018 with DSLR and lenses in carry on since the TSA rule change for electronics bigger than a cell phone. NONE of those times required to remove the DSLR even when we asked specifically if we had to take out the camera. We use a specialized Lowepro camera backpack or other bag so the camera is quick to remove for screening if asked. Portable medical devices were also allowed to stay in the bags. The same TSA screeners instructed us to remove iPads and laptops into separate bins.

As a precautionary measure and good habit, when returning from a trip with full SD cards/disk drives, I remove them from the camera and store them in a separate bag. If the camera gets separated from me, I still have the photos/video.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

User avatar
JaneyLH
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by JaneyLH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am

JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.

User avatar
JaneyLH
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by JaneyLH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.
I Googled Antarctica photography tips and came across this advice more than once. Here’s one example from the first result returned:

“2. Bring zoom lenses mounted on separate bodies.
During my last trip to Antarctica. I’ve found success with bringing only 16-35mm zoom and 70-200mm zoom lenses, each mounted on a separate body. The extreme weather is not somewhere you want to change lenses, so multiple bodies are a must.”

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm

JaneyLH wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.
I Googled Antarctica photography tips and came across this advice more than once. Here’s one example from the first result returned:

“2. Bring zoom lenses mounted on separate bodies.
During my last trip to Antarctica. I’ve found success with bringing only 16-35mm zoom and 70-200mm zoom lenses, each mounted on a separate body. The extreme weather is not somewhere you want to change lenses, so multiple bodies are a must.”
I have not been to Antarctica, but people who've been seem to say that tourists typically go to the warmest locations there at the warmest times of the year. When I look at pictures on travel sites I see people with moderate cold-weather clothing. Now if you were a researcher staying over the winter... I can definitely see where changing lenses (and sometimes maybe using the camera) would be impossible. For me, my hands are very sensitive to cold, so I'm not sure what I would do. My APS equipment is relatively small, and if I'm just walking around on a non-strenuous trail, then I usually do have two bodies with slow but wide-ranging zooms. But full frame bodies and f2.8 zooms... that's a lot of weight. Some of the travel sites suggest waterproof storage, too... even more weight. So I'm not sure what would be best.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.
You must be a really serious photographer (or doing this for money!). Backup bodies and lenses? On a vacation? If I was on a photo safari, I might go that far. Though, I would probably check some of the backup equipment, so my carry-on wasn't very heavy and bulky (though again, I want to learn about Sandtraps "dedicated camera bag").

But I tend to take the "travel sorta-lite" approach when going by air.

tibbitts
Posts: 8235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.
You must be a really serious photographer (or doing this for money!). Backup bodies and lenses? On a vacation? If I was on a photo safari, I might go that far. Though, I would probably check some of the backup equipment, so my carry-on wasn't very heavy and bulky (though again, I want to learn about Sandtraps "dedicated camera bag").

But I tend to take the "travel sorta-lite" approach when going by air.
Definitely not a pro, but it's a hobby and so a big part of my vacations. Somebody mentioned that a pro just took a 1-inch superzoom on vacation, I think, but that's the point: he's on vacation FROM taking pictures, and I'm on vacation TO take pictures. My two bodies are 2010-era, 16mp APS.

Yes, the two backup zooms (average price used is about $100 each) go in the checked bag along with the tripod, although I hate checking the head because it would be easier to replace the tripod than the head. My new tripod is smaller but locks the head with multiple screws and I've been too lazy to remove it so far. I've dropped a lens in a stream, so having a backup seems to make sense to me.

TN_Boy
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Expensive DSLR through airport security

Post by TN_Boy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Global entry/TSA pre-check is essential for anyone who travels more than a couple of times a year.

I've been pondering my photographic equipment strategy recently because I'm going to go on an Antarctic cruise next month. Previous cruisers recommend 2 bodies because you can't change lenses (or shouldn't) while off the ship. A bunch of other things I'll have to get my hands on, and extra charger (in case one fails) and lots of batteries.

This has been a helpful discussion!
I always take two bodies on any serious trip, since if one fails, what will you do? I bring two chargers, and even two backup lenses, one wide zoom and one tele zoom. I bring multiple grad filters and two polarizers to cover my range of lenses (except the superwide.) The only lens I don't have a backup for is the ultrawide zoom. My equipment isn't that expensive, though.

I've never heard of not changing lenses - I even change lenses at the beach with ocean spray, although I hate to. With only two bodies and four lenses to choose from, you'll always have the wrong two on your camera at any given time.
You must be a really serious photographer (or doing this for money!). Backup bodies and lenses? On a vacation? If I was on a photo safari, I might go that far. Though, I would probably check some of the backup equipment, so my carry-on wasn't very heavy and bulky (though again, I want to learn about Sandtraps "dedicated camera bag").

But I tend to take the "travel sorta-lite" approach when going by air.
Definitely not a pro, but it's a hobby and so a big part of my vacations. Somebody mentioned that a pro just took a 1-inch superzoom on vacation, I think, but that's the point: he's on vacation FROM taking pictures, and I'm on vacation TO take pictures. My two bodies are 2010-era, 16mp APS.

Yes, the two backup zooms (average price used is about $100 each) go in the checked bag along with the tripod, although I hate checking the head because it would be easier to replace the tripod than the head. My new tripod is smaller but locks the head with multiple screws and I've been too lazy to remove it so far. I've dropped a lens in a stream, so having a backup seems to make sense to me.
In your situation, I'd probably take my dSLR, lenses for it, and my bridge camera (FZ1000). The latter and a tripod could perhaps go into checked bags. It's actually easier for me to take decent landscape shots with the FZ1000 than the dSLR (a nikon d7500, which is a fairly decent semi-pro APS-C camera). The FZ has a fully articulating led display, focus peaking, and since it is mirrorless all I have to do on the tripod is turn on the 2 second timer and push the button. With the Nikon, I got to set the thing to mirror up mode, then turn on delayed exposure and I don't have focus peaking so it's harder to confirm I have focus where I want it. And on a tripod, I don't care so much about low-light capability or the nikons better autofocus.

I guess that's a long way of saying I would use lighter backup gear than you would :-). But I also realize the "comfort factor" of being confident I can handle equipment failures. I usually take my small waterproof camera, but it doesn't count, really.

Post Reply