Recommendations for a 9mm handgun

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EPWorrell

Recommendations for a 9mm handgun

Post by EPWorrell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

Never owned or used a gun before but thinking about purchasing one. After a little research I am thinking a 9mm might be the best handgun for a beginner like me. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model?

Thanks

pezblanco

Re: Recommendations for a 9mm handgun

Post by pezblanco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 am

EPWorrell wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am
Never owned or used a gun before but thinking about purchasing one. After a little research I am thinking a 9mm might be the best handgun for a beginner like me. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model?

Thanks
To get a better recommendation, more information is needed ... Why are you considering this purchase: home defense, target practice, concealed carry? Are you willing to make a committment to learn how to use it: do you intend to go to a firing range and practice? This has large implications for the types of safety systems, etc etc. Have you ever fired a 9mm before? Are you a large man? or a small woman? Why did you choose the 9mm?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 am

I would go to a shooting range and try out some guns before I used bogleheads.org to ask this question. There are dozens of shooting ranges in my area.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am

Glock 19.

As reliable as they get. Easy to maintain. Easy to shoot. Not expensive. It's the Corolla of pistols.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am

Go to a shooting range (ideally where it's attached to a store where you can ask and buy) where you can rent a 9mm and other calibers. Shooting a 9mm is no joke. Even a 0.22 is going to probably surprise you if you haven't done any shooting before.

Let the people at the store know that you're looking to learn. Down a very small bit from a 9mm is a 0.380. It's another close consideration. To me, it was the perfect size, where I felt the 9 was just a bit too much. Rounds will be cheaper, too.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

I agree with everything that @pezblanco said. This is not a step to be taken lightly. Unfortunately many people but a handgun first. When the first step before purchasing a handgun really should be to take an initial firearms safety/qualification course.

Often they will have a variety of handguns to try/rent. I also, suggest after you have completed a course and are familiar with the types of handguns/ You rent or borrow the model you are considering for two or three trips to an indoor range to gt a better sense if it is the right one for you.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:40 am

[OT comment removed - moderator prudent]

My brother is a police officer and they use sig sauer .40 cals. Not sure of the model but my small wife who had never shot a gun was able to fire it pretty comfortably after a short learning curve. He has another sig .40 cal for concealed carry of a different model that's a little smaller and its definitely not as smooth of a kick. I'm not a gun person so I'm just giving my experience, not a recommendation.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

Depending on where you live, you might need to get a license before you go to the range. Then, it depends on which one feels good in your hand. I like the Glock, but I have a Springfield XDm that I like. You may think you like the look of something until you shoot it, and then you don't.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 am

There’s no substitute for renting multiple guns at a range to determine what best suits your needs. You’ll find the employees at a reputable range more than willing to help educate you in a non-condescending manner.

Every range I’ve been to has classes for beginners. They are usually taught by current or former police officers and / or retired military personnel. Many of these classes have supervised range time at the end. But, if you’ve never fired a firearm before, I strongly recommend you attend a couple of classes and learn the ins and outs of a firearm —how to properly store, dismantle, and operate it safely (choosing the right ammunition, resolving malfunctions, etc).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am

monkey_business wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am
Glock 19.

As reliable as they get. Easy to maintain. Easy to shoot. Not expensive. It's the Corolla of pistols.
I like this. Glock 17 is the full size version of the 9mm. It might be easier to hold being full size. Depends on hand size. Hold each and you will get a good feel. They do kick a little.

The one nice thing about buying a Glock is it will work. There are $300 9mm of various brands. They won't be nearly as reliable.

For target shooting, a Ruger or Browning .22 would be much easier to shoot. For all around home protection/target shooting. The Glock 17/19 is a great starting point. Around $500 new or $400 used. I have a USA made Bronze Cerakote Glock 19. Great gun.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 am

It is a consumer issue and is on-topic. Please limit responses to the OP's question. Off-topic replies have been removed.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 am

Probably Glock G17. Because they're everywhere and are fairly cheap. All the cops around here use them cause they're cheap, reliable, and can be banged up and still shoot. Little old ladies use them because they're easy to shoot, easy to clean. If the SHTF and the end of the world was here and you had to reload, you could find magazines pre-filled with bullets (probably) fairly easily. The downside is that Glocks are ugly, and the only safety is on the trigger itself. Some like this for home defense, some don't.

As a public-safety announcement, for home defense, please please please use hollow points (I prefer Federal ammo) so you minimize the danger to your loved ones (and potentially neighbors) as you blast through your walls and through theirs too in the middle of the night trying to put down your home invader. In close-quarter-combat conditions, the aforementioned end of the world, I prefer the cheaper NATO 124 grain ball ammo (full metal jacket).

Carry the gun in Condition 3/Israeli carry. Look it up. If it's good enough for the Israeli Defense Forces, it's good enough for you too, for now.

Get trained professionally. Then get range time in a lot. Wear as much ear protection as you can. Learn to clean your gun. Keep every bullet you have away from your gun when cleaning your gun. Get a safe. Keep other people away from your gun everywhere you go with it. Treat your gun like you'd treat a grizzly bear that you've bought and trained. Even though it's yours, it'll still kill you and others if you're not extremely careful and mindful of it. So, if you are in a situation where you are concerned that someone might get ahold of your gun without your permission, that means you leave the area. If you are planning on concealed carry, keep in mind this means you have obligated yourself to becoming the nicest person in the world. Read up. Learn the laws. Remember, every bullet comes with a lawyer attached to it.

If I had to do it all over again I'd probably get a Glock.
Last edited by samsdad on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 am

I personally don't like the trigger on Glocks and, given the much-heralded Glock "leg syndrome" (shootings) that have happened, am leery of their "safety action system." I would suggest that you consider the following full-size 9mm pistols: Sig Sauer P226, Beretta 92, HK USP, S&W M&P.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am

The posters who recommend you try shooting guns at a range are correct.

But, before you just blindly shoot guns, if you have not had shooting instruction, you should. How a gun feels, and how well you use it, totally depends on your form, and as others have stated, your hand size.

Guns are similar to shoes and cars. The suitability of the product depends on what you want to use it for.

You did not mention which state you reside in. Many of the latest pistol models are not legal in California, including the latest GLOCK models.

Similar to doing a portfolio analysis on this board, to get more useful results, you need to supply more information.
For example, do you want it solely for home defense, or do you live in a state where you can legally carry the firearm, and wish to do that as well? (That can change the size of the pistol you should purchase.)

Without a little more info, we are just shooting in the dark, so to speak.
Last edited by ThereAreNoGurus on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Point

Post by Point » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am

Go to a range and work with the staff to try out various pistols. You will want to pay attention to hand size and fit as well. Also consider use scenarios: target practice vs home defense vs personal carry. Features, stowability and size matter. You will also want to invest in locking safe and use it. And have the range staff train you how to clean it. Lastly, take a safety course and review local and federal laws.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Go to a shooting range (ideally where it's attached to a store where you can ask and buy) where you can rent a 9mm and other calibers. Shooting a 9mm is no joke. Even a 0.22 is going to probably surprise you if you haven't done any shooting before.

Let the people at the store know that you're looking to learn. Down a very small bit from a 9mm is a 0.380. It's another close consideration. To me, it was the perfect size, where I felt the 9 was just a bit too much. Rounds will be cheaper, too.
I agree with the advice to visit a shooting range with a store attached. I also suggest signing up for a training class first. Handguns are personal tools and what fits you well may not be what fits me well. Hand-size, strength, training, experience, all play a role in the best choice for you.

I personally carry a midsize Glock 23 (same frame as the Glock 19, but in .40 instead of 9 mm), a Glock 26 (subcompact 9 mm), or a Ruger LCP (.380 ACP pocket gun) depending on wardrobe. My wife, though, being much less experienced and having less hand strength, has trouble pulling back the slide on the Glock 26 and Ruger LCP (and most small semi-automatics with stiff springs). She would have a hard time clearing a malfunction in an emergency. She is more comfortable with revolvers. (There are some fantastic small revolvers on the market now.)

I do disagree though on the cost of ammo. In my experience.380 ammo is not cheaper than 9 mm. Although ammo prices are much higher than they were 10-15 years ago, 9 mm is still usually the second cheapest caliber after .22LR--now that .22LR is widely-available again, people were hoarding it for a few years, and prices were crazy.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 am

if you had never owned or even driven a car before, you would not (and should not) just go buy one. Buying a firearm is no different. If you are thinking about buying one, take a beginners' course (and more courses, if possible). Consider that your drivers' ed requirement. Then, if you're still interested, try a few different firearms at a range (test drives). You will be surprised at how different individual firearms in the same caliber will feel. Try to find a friendly staff person (not always easy, admittedly), explain your goals/experience level/initial reactions, and ask for guidance.

Herbert

Post by Herbert » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am
I agree with everything that @pezblanco said. This is not a step to be taken lightly. Unfortunately many people but a handgun first. When the first step before purchasing a handgun really should be to take an initial firearms safety/qualification course.

Often they will have a variety of handguns to try/rent. I also, suggest after you have completed a course and are familiar with the types of handguns/ You rent or borrow the model you are considering for two or three trips to an indoor range to gt a better sense if it is the right one for you.
I definitely agree with taking a firearms safety course and trying out various handguns at your local range. Everyone is different and some handguns are more comfortable and natural to hold/shoot for different individuals. Most importantly, you have to be comfortable and confident in handling and potentially using the firearm. I used to carry a Sig Sauer while I was a Law Enforcement Officer, but have been happy with my Glock 33 for carrying concealed for many years now. YMMV!

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 am

EPWorrell wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks
9mm is a good choice, and Glocks are the Honda Civics of guns. Not the best but they get the job done. I have a 40 cal Glock 22 and I can't recall it malfunctioning even once. Easy to take apart without tools to clean. I personally like the "clicky" trigger and the fact there is no manual safety to get in the way. If you can, try out a Glock and a couple other brands in 9MM and go with what is most comfortable for you. Smaller guns are harder to shoot so don't avoid guns with larger frames.

I'd also recommend for a beginner to look at a revolver in 357 magnum. Revolvers are extremely reliable and don't have a safety because they don't need one. They are inherently safe by design. You can shoot mild 38 special loads until you get used to shooting and then go with 357 magnum rounds if you want. Revolvers come in all sizes and I find them easy to carry if that's what you're going to end up doing. Smith and Wesson and Ruger are two good brands to look into.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 am

This isn't the best place to get recommendations for this type of question.

I suggest Pistol-forum.com.

There are a lot of professional trainers/shooters as well as hard core shooting junkies that will give you excellent advice on both what type of weapon is best for you as well as excellent training recommendations both professional and personal.

Most of them, if you live close to them, will be more than happy to take you to a local range and help you get into shooting. There are members there from all over the States and several from outside the US.

Personally I would hold off until at least the end of the month. Glock will be releasing a couple of new CCW oriented models at the 2019 SHOT show that might be of interest.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

I can't understand what the rest of you guys are on about. Clearly, the answer is a pair of gold plated .50 Desert Eagles :mrgreen:

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am

monkey_business wrote:
Glock 19.

I agree. I'm a huge Glock fan. Have several 19's and 23's (.40 cal).

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am

*Absolutely* get proper instruction - a firearms safety course first, then further training down the road.

Another vote for going to a local shooting range which has beginners' classes and rental firearms to try out on the premises.

We can all recommend different guns, but you have to find the one that fits your hand, and can be operated with your upper body strength (some semi-automatic pistols are hard to load if you don't have enough strength to operate the reciprocating slide.)

For example, a person in the shooting lane next to me asked me to help them with a newly-purchased pistol, because they couldn't even load it. It turned out to be a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum, and I could barely rack the slide myself due to the very stiff recoil spring. It was a completely inappropriate gun for that person (and for me :D ) and I suggested they attempt to return it to the seller.

Consider how will you safely store the firearm - safe or lock box? You have to keep it secure from unauthorized use.

Are there people in the household with poor impulse control - children, adolescents or even adults?
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

If you don't go to the range, you will buy the wrong gun.

I picked a Glock19 as it fits my hand and my style perfectly. Very reliable.

My wife chose a S&W hammerless .357 5 shot that she runs 38 special loads in (hollow point). Fits her hand nicely and requires no thought to use. Point it and start pulling the trigger.

My daughter chose an AR-15 with an EOTech. Very impractical, but she loves shooting it.

We also have a 20ga shotgun (JR size to fit my wife and daughter). Loaded with 03 shot shells with an extended magazine.

All are locked up in a safe except the S&W. 3,000 rounds of ammo. More valuable than gold if the zombie apocalypse happens.

But back to the first point, go to a range and try them all and decide from there. And get training. Buying a gun and not training on it is very dangerous.

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 am

monkey_business wrote:
Glock 19.

I agree. Hard to go wrong with a Coroll.. I mean Glock.

OP - If you end up wanting to get a BMW then I'd recommend checking out Sig or H&K.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 am

monkey_business wrote:
Glock 19.

+1

There really is no better first gun. A lot of my friends know that I have an interest in firearms and whenever one of them wants to purchase their first the Glock 19 is what I always recommend.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 am

Many ranges will have beginner classes. You do not have to own a gun to attend, you can borrow theirs. There was one near me run by NRA certified instructors and all you had to bring was one or two boxes of ammo. I highly recommend these classes. Often people will develop issues that could have been corrected if taking a class. And having people there to go through step by step processes is worth every penny.
There are many different companies, my favorite is Sig. They fit my hand and I like the way they feel.
Common calibers are .380, 9mm, .40, 10 mm, and .45. (from large to smaller each has positives and negatives)
My wife likes the .380, and I like the .40 more.
Safety after you buy it is important too, getting a good safe is highly recommended. There are all sorts of them just as there are many different kinds of holsters. This is where the gun range or local gun store will be really helpful. They will take the time to go through various products and make your purchase enjoyable.
All the best!!
Last edited by forgeblast on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am

A couple of things to add to your list of things to consider;

1) Also budget for a gunsafe, they make quick access ones if you are buying this for self defense.

2) Check with your home insurance company to see if owning a gun affects your policy and rates. Different companies treat this differently.

3) Part of a gun class is not only how to use the gun but also to teach you when you can and cannot legally use it. Be sure to take a class that includes the legal aspects.

4) In addition to taking classes before you buy the gun also plan on taking it to a shooting range at least once a year to practice with it and to make sure it is still working good. You don't want it to sit in a safe for ten years then jam when you need it.

Without getting into the politics(and emotions) of it do your own research on how effective owning a gun will be at doing what you want to do.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm

corn18 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am
My daughter chose an AR-15 with an EOTech. Very impractical, but she loves shooting it.
Impractical to carry, but absolutely the most fun thing in the world to shoot. :beer

brianH

Post by brianH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Add me to the list of Glock fanboys. My very first handgun was a Glock 17, and it's still one of my favorites to shoot. I've since owned/shot many others, and my accuracy is always the best with the Glock (maybe you're most accurate with your first?)

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 pm

One more thought, in your class you should keep an open mind and ask what gun would best for you if you are using this for self defense. There are pros and cons but for home self defense a case can be made that something like a shotgun might be a better choice if you don't have a lot experience with firearms.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Agree with Glock 19 as Corolla analogy. However, that segment is very competitive, and the Glock clones from Springfield and S&W are equally good and you might prefer the ergonomics or price tag. I have a M&P 9c fir many years and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. I personally don't like Glock ergonomics.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Definitely first go to a shooting range and test a couple handguns first. Get training! Ask for a lesson, or at least go with someone who shoots regularly.

Always ALWAYS obey the 4 rules of gun safety.

Many ranges will let you rent a gun, but you usually have to come with someone (most do not rent to solo shooters, esp if you're not a member). If you've never shot a gun, you may be surprised at how much recoil there is even with a 9 mm. Most people are alarmed at how incredibly loud a handgun is, even the smaller calibers.

I think a Glock 19 is a great choice and one of my favorite handguns. The Gen 4 fits my hand like a glove. Other folks, the grip could be too big/small and some people don't like the finger groves (Gen 5 got rid of them). I think the trigger is fine, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about 'em. Glocks do not have a safety. For a new shooter, this may be an issue. Beretta 92 (has a safety; long time standard issue of the US military) and Sig Sauer 226/229 (has a hammer de-cocker) are other auto favorites of mine. Old school are crazy about the Colt 1911, which is available in 9 mm, but is most well known as a .45 ACP.

Also, don't rule out a revolver. I'm a big fan of the 3" S&W 686. Fits .38 special (great for target practice or even Plus-P rounds self defense) and 357 magnum (for those fun days at the range).

nodak

Post by nodak » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
If you've never shot before, I highly recommend trying a 22. The recoil is significantly less. And I agree with all the other statements about getting instruction.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm

+1 to the go to the range and handle a lot of guns.

See what feels good in your hands.

What type of action do you want? Do you want a safety? Single or Double Action? Striker or Hammer?

I'd go to a gun store, and let them know your budget. Then see what feels good and make arrangements to shoot it.

husky1055

Post by husky1055 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Please OP, take a handgun course so you learn about handguns and regulations. In Connecticut you will need a license/permit before you can even talk about buying a gun. Much too soon to ask about what gun to buy when you do not even have a license.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm

+1 on "on going to a range to try various models" and "take a safety course"

What you expect to use the gun for should make a big difference. I like .22's, the ammo is cheap, it's not too loud, can plink around with targets all day on the cheap. The cost of 9mm rounds aren't too bad, but its significantly more.
I also like revolvers, if a round doesn't fire, you just move on to the next shot and you can try again on the faulty one without getting into an overly precarious situation... just my opinion though.
Last edited by JoMoney on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm

StormShadow wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm
Definitely first go to a shooting range and test a couple handguns first. Get training! Ask for a lesson, or at least go with someone who shoots regularly.

Always ALWAYS obey the 4 rules of gun safety.

Many ranges will let you rent a gun, but you usually have to come with someone (most do not rent to solo shooters, esp if you're not a member). If you've never shot a gun, you may be surprised at how much recoil there is even with a 9 mm. Most people are alarmed at how incredibly loud a handgun is, even the smaller calibers.

I think a Glock 19 is a great choice and one of my favorite handguns. The Gen 4 fits my hand like a glove. Other folks, the grip could be too big/small and some people don't like the finger groves (Gen 5 got rid of them). I think the trigger is fine, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about 'em. Glocks do not have a safety. For a new shooter, this may be an issue. Beretta 92 (has a safety; long time standard issue of the US military) and Sig Sauer 226/229 (has a hammer de-cocker) are other auto favorites of mine. Old school are crazy about the Colt 1911, which is available in 9 mm, but is most well known as a .45 ACP.

Also, don't rule out a revolver. I'm a big fan of the 3" S&W 686. Fits .38 special (great for target practice or even Plus-P rounds self defense) and 357 magnum (for those fun days at the range).
Good points! Test before buying to avoid being a two gun owner. One of our local ranges has a beginner handgun class taught by certified instructors. The range/instructors provide the handguns ear protection and ammo.

We introduced our 12 year old granddaughter to hand guns using a Sig 226 with a 22LR conversion kit and then she graduated to a S&W 686 with low recoil ammo. When our out of town friends visit and want to shoot the popular gun is the S&W 686. The Sig 9mm and the 1911 45 ACP are left on the bench.

epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 pm

If you've never shot anything before, start with a long gun. Guns are considerably louder, and have more recoil, then the movies would have you believe. Long guns are significantly easier to control than a handgun: you'll be more likely to hit what you're trying to. Once you're comfortable with that and want to look for handguns, you should start trying out handguns by renting them at a range. As others have said, better to try several out before you buy one. Contrary to many people's expectations, larger handguns will be easier to shoot (this is obviously at odds with the goals if you want to carry it concealed).

4MToRetire

Post by 4MToRetire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I compete in USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, and Steel matches. If you never fired a gun before...you owe it to yourself and others to take at least a beginners course by certified instructors prior to “handling” any firearms.

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:18 pm

I've carried a Sig 229 for the last 14 years and loved it. My agency just switched to Glock and it feels like a cheap plastic toy to me. Spend a significant amount of time with a qualified instructor, shoot with multiple makers and models and go with what feels most comfortable in your hands.

I will add that the requirement to pull the Glock trigger before disassembly contributes to a higher than normal negligent discharge rate with the Glock compared with other makers.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm

husky1055 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm
In Connecticut you will need a license/permit before you can even talk about buying a gun. Much too soon to ask about what gun to buy when you do not even have a license.
I didn't realize you needed a license/permit just to have a conversation about firearms in Connecticut.

Do you also need a license/permit to talk about them on online forums?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm

As others have said:

1. Take a beginner's class since you've never "owned or used" one before. Gun safety would seem obvious, but it is not.

2. You will also likely get to shoot a few different pistols during the class.

3. After the class, if you decide you still want to buy one, ask the instructor. He or she can help you. But everyone has their favorites, so you make the final decision.

4. There are lots of good choices. I could recommend a bunch that haven't been mentioned, but it wouldn't do any good. You are getting ahead of yourself. Take the class. Do research. You can always rent some pistols at the range after the class to refine your choice and make the right decision.

Good luck,

JT

ionenergy

Post by ionenergy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

I think a glock 19 would be a good start. It is light yet powerful. Easy to shoot

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Guns are like cars, they run from basic to deluxe, and you are getting responses about the best guns which you will find are expensive. If a first time gunowner, you might be well served by purchasing a used pistol at a pawn shop or gun store. I have owned several guns and think that a 9mm Ruger is fine for most purposes. Not a Glock, but it is reliable and less expensive. Of course you can get excellent advice on price and quality at any reputable gun shop.

Tim

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm

forgeblast wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 am
Common calibers are .380, 9mm, .40 (10 mm), and .45. (from large to smaller each has positives and negatives)
Just wanted to point out that .40 S&W and 10mm are not the same caliber, even though the bullets are the same diameter. The 10mm is 3mm longer than the .40, has significantly higher recoil and a ~300fps higher muzzle velocity. The cartridges are not interchangeable except in a few specially designed revolvers. .40 is considered "small pistol" caliber, while 10mm is "large pistol" (due to the type of primer used).

.357 SIG on the left, 10mm in the middle, .40 S&W on the right:

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Go to a reputable gun store, and just go through the cases of handguns, trying them to see what fits in your hand with a comfortable feel. The different manufacturers all have their own quirks, as many others have pointed out. A beginners gun safety course is mandatory, by common sense if not by law.

I prefer a revolver for the home defense scenario, a revolver can't ever jam like the semi-autos can. Since Murphy is never our friend, I don't want a gun to jam just when I need it most.

For concealed carry, most of the preferred models are the smaller semis, though again it matters more what feels comfortable to each individual.

My wife chose the Lady Smith in .357, as it fits her hand just right. We are using hollow point .38 rounds as others have suggested as well.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 pm

“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm

I'd also suggest a revolver if you want it for home protection. A revolver is just point and shoot with less moving parts and more reliable (six rounds should be fine for protection). You can get a .357 revolver that shoots both .38 special and the high power .357 mag rounds. And of course, go to a range and get proper instruction on whatever you end up getting.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:46 pm

+1 regarding trying different brands and models, since there are huge variations in feel and operation (external safety or not, hammerless or not, decocking lever or not, ambidextrous magazine and/or slide releases, adjustable size grips, weight, size, availability of correctly fitting holsters and other accessories).

A key consideration many have mentioned is your intended application(s). Target shooting might lead you towards a .22, because ammunition is very inexpensive, recoil moderate to nonexistent, and reliability is less of a consideration so you can purchase less expensive options if otherwise suitable. .40 and .45 ammunition is significantly more expensive as is .380. .38 and .357 are usually found in revolvers, but are also available in semi-autos. 9mm target ammo tends to be less expensive, but still not as inexpensive as .22, as it is very popular and large volumes are manufactured.

For self-defense, reliability is paramount, and functionality is important. Many law enforcement agencies prefer Glocks because extensive and comprehensive FBI testing, which few other agencies can replicate, confirmed their accuracy, reliability, suitability for for both men and women of different hand sizes, and benefits of simplicity - no safety levers, no decocking levers, and no exposed hammers to potentially snag on clothing. You can spend more, but will not obtain greater reliability. You can spend less, and take your chances.

The Bureau recently reverted to 9mm as their standard for handguns after improvements in the ballistics of that caliber render it largely as effective as the previously issued .40 caliber Glocks, but with less recoil so easier for more people to shoot confidently and making it easier to reacquire your sight picture for second shots. There is a lot of variation in effectiveness within and even across different calibers, though, so choice of ammunition is very important in the context of a weapon used for self-defense.

For target shooting, you may want highly adjustable sights. For defensive purposes, you might opt for self-illuminating tritium night sights, and/or a RMR (ruggedized miniature reflex, aka red dot) sight, and/or a laser sight. Some brands and models of handguns can be upgraded with some or all of these types of sights while others cannot.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.