Buying Fabric for Drapes: How to Order Cuts Online

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Buying Fabric for Drapes: How to Order Cuts Online

Post by Kennedy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 pm

I thought I would try to make drapes for the first time. I found some fabric I like on Joann's website. I'm a little confused as to how to order the length I need. My panels need to be four yards long, and I will have several panels. I don't want to mess with having to piece together smaller sections in the event Joann's sends me the end of the bolt plus the beginning of the next bolt because I will have no idea where to sew the sections together to create a large enough piece of fabric for one panel. Do I place several individual orders so they will each be cut to size? I will probably need around 40 yards total.

I thought I would start here before I call Joann's. This is what they say on their website: The bolt size of this item is 9 yards, when ordering more than 9 yards​ it will come in multiple cuts. ​If ordering less than 9 yards, we will fill your order in the longest cut(s) that we can based on inventory availability.

ResearchMed

Re: Buying Fabric for Drapes: How to Order Cuts Online

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 pm
I thought I would try to make drapes for the first time. I found some fabric I like on Joann's website. I'm a little confused as to how to order the length I need. My panels need to be four yards long, and I will have several panels. I don't want to mess with having to piece together smaller sections in the event Joann's sends me the end of the bolt plus the beginning of the next bolt because I will have no idea where to sew the sections together to create a large enough piece of fabric for one panel. Do I place several individual orders so they will each be cut to size? I will probably need around 40 yards total.

I thought I would start here before I call Joann's. This is what they say on their website: The bolt size of this item is 9 yards, when ordering more than 9 yards​ it will come in multiple cuts. ​If ordering less than 9 yards, we will fill your order in the longest cut(s) that we can based on inventory availability.
You should probably speak with someone knowledgeable at Joann's (or call a store for a "person who knows something").

You'll want to know things like the length for "repeat" of the design, so you know how long each length will need to be to get matching patterns along horizontal levels. Do you need to stitch together in a vertical to get "sides" of the drapes? Or are these just hanging, and not all one piece?

This should be a common question for anyone who works with fabrics.

We most recently had to deal with this for upholstery. We also wanted fabric to cover dining room seat cushions. We wanted the design "centered" the same way on each chair, so we couldn't just have one piece start where the last piece ended (if that makes sense).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 pm

So, your panels are 12'. You definitely want those panels in single cuts of fabric, as drapes really would look awful with a horizontal seam. If the bolts are about 9 yards, then you can get 2 panels per bolt. I would order the fabric in 8 yard increments - so that you can guarantee a single uncut section (and then cut it in half). Fortunately Joann's tends to run coupons incessantly, so you should be able to order the fabric discounted... and possibly in multiple orders - one a day or so. I'm assuming you really can't use any leftovers for pillows or swags or something? If they have a customer service phone number, I would call them and see if they can guarantee the cuts in a minimum of 4 yards, but if not - do 8 yards at a time. (and I completely forgot about repeat issues if you need to match it horizontally - you might need more than you think).
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 pm

You should probably speak with someone knowledgeable at Joann's (or call a store for a "person who knows something").

You'll want to know things like the length for "repeat" of the design, so you know how long each length will need to be to get matching patterns along horizontal levels. Do you need to stitch together in a vertical to get "sides" of the drapes? Or are these just hanging, and not all one piece?

This should be a common question for anyone who works with fabrics.

We most recently had to deal with this for upholstery. We also wanted fabric to cover dining room seat cushions. We wanted the design "centered" the same way on each chair, so we couldn't just have one piece start where the last piece ended (if that makes sense).

RM
Oh my. I definitely better speak with someone who knows what they're doing. Thanks

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

If you are anywhere near a Joanne store I would just go in. If they don't have what you want in stock, they can order it for you. They'll be able to help you figure it out.