USPS Tracking Information Available Soon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

USPS Tracking Information Available Soon

Post by DTalos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm

What does "Information Available Soon" mean on a tracking number? According the the USPS website, it states "USPS doesn't yet have a status update on this item shipped from the Post Office. Information is usually updated within the hour of your visit. Please check back soon."

This is vague. I have been getting this message for two days on the USPS website with a certain tracking number for an item I purchased. What does this mean?

k3vb0t

Re: USPS Tracking Information Available Soon

Post by k3vb0t » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 pm

DTalos wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm
What does "Information Available Soon" mean on a tracking number? According the the USPS website, it states "USPS doesn't yet have a status update on this item shipped from the Post Office. Information is usually updated within the hour of your visit. Please check back soon."

This is vague. I have been getting this message for two days on the USPS website with a certain tracking number for an item I purchased. What does this mean?
It means if the item has been dropped off and is already being moved in your direction that it wasn't scanned in.

I've been on the flip side as a seller (eBay/Amazon) and have had boxes get completely delivered after I dropped them off at the post office without any change in status because I didn't want to stand in a 15 person line just to get the item scanned.

But, best practice from the seller side is to do just that, and you get a receipt showing it was dropped off and scanned into the system.

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm

I think that it means someone printed a label but didn’t actually ship it. Or could mean that they did ship it, but the post office didn’t scan it when they got it

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 pm
DTalos wrote:

It means if the item has been dropped off and is already being moved in your direction that it wasn't scanned in.

I've been on the flip side as a seller (eBay/Amazon) and have had boxes get completely delivered after I dropped them off at the post office without any change in status because I didn't want to stand in a 15 person line just to get the item scanned.

But, best practice from the seller side is to do just that, and you get a receipt showing it was dropped off and scanned into the system.

When I click on the tracking number on eBay, it says "tracking number provided". When I go to the USPS website, it get the "Information available soon" message.

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm

DTalos wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm
When I click on the tracking number on eBay, it says "tracking number provided". When I go to the USPS website, it get the "Information available soon" message.
Right. If you bought something from me today, I would print the shipping label today which includes the tracking number.

If I purchased the shipping label through eBay, it would automatically know the tracking number thus would show "Tracking Number Provided".

Now, if I wait until tomorrow or the next day to take the item to the post office, the post office just knows there is a tracking number out there, but they don't know where the item is because it hasn't been scanned in yet.

Alternatively, it could be dropped off at a post office and still not scanned in -- but that doesn't mean they aren't putting it on a truck and moving it to you.

So there's two options: item hasn't been dropped off at post office yet, or item has been dropped off but hasn't been scanned in.

If you have questions, I would just message the seller and ask them when they dropped it off.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm
DTalos wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Right. If you bought something from me today, I would print the shipping label today which includes the tracking number.

If I purchased the shipping label through eBay, it would automatically know the tracking number thus would show "Tracking Number Provided".

Now, if I wait until tomorrow or the next day to take the item to the post office, the post office just knows there is a tracking number out there, but they don't know where the item is because it hasn't been scanned in yet.

Alternatively, it could be dropped off at a post office and still not scanned in -- but that doesn't mean they aren't putting it on a truck and moving it to you.

So there's two options: item hasn't been dropped off at post office yet, or item has been dropped off but hasn't been scanned in.

If you have questions, I would just message the seller and ask them when they dropped it off.

Thank you for the explanation.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:38 pm

DTalos wrote:
Information is usually updated within the hour of your visit. Please check back soon."
This part is not accurate - at least in practice. Due to a number of lost packages, we have each outgoing item scanned, in-person. Even with that and a receipt, the initial scans don't show up until overnight.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 pm

It means the mailman is at your door with your package. :P

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm

USPS doesn't do actual tracking. They will give a tracking number tho just so they look up to speed. Tracking will get you delivery confirmation, but not much else.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 am

NewOldGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm
USPS doesn't do actual tracking. They will give a tracking number tho just so they look up to speed. Tracking will get you delivery confirmation, but not much else.
I believe this comment is wrong.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am

Benjamin Franklin became the first Postmaster General in 1775.

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub ... 00_003.htm

Nearly 250 years later, USPS still cannot consistently provide reliable tracking information. And it's not like delivering items for a fee is a side business.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 am
NewOldGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm
I believe this comment is wrong.
I read an article a couple of years ago that claimed that some of the interim tracking events between shipment and delivery are estimated based on where the package should have been at that point, and not actual scans.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm

I was tracking a package this week and kept getting the "information available soon" message. I later figured out that I was missing the last four digits of the tracking number.

The fact that they couldn't even recognize an invalid number says a lot.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

I have found the USPS tracking to be very limited. I recently ordered something that was shipped 11 days ago. After 7 days, the tracking page on the USPS website said that the package had just arrived in Philadelphia. Today (4 days later), the package was finally delivered to my house, which is near Philadelphia. There were no intermediate updates on the status.

On an opposite note, I recently have had a few Amazon deliveries where AMZ tells me that I am 9 stops away or 5 stops away and then shows me a map where the delivery vehicle is in the neighborhood.

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Not sure what's more frustrating. No information or too much and often-times unreliable information. My wife's 401K rollover check was sent UPS overnight to our home for us to forward to Merrill Edge. ME already sent us the UPS prepaid overnight envelope for it's trip to Florida. Her company refused to send it directly.

UPS also has that live tracking and it showed the truck .8 miles away. My eyes are glued to this screen, that is not updating no matter how many times I refresh it. An hour later, I get a text that the package will arrive "Tomorrow by the end of the day". UGHHHH! It's only 5:30 pm and they are supposed to work until 8 pm. There's $380K on that truck and it was coming overnight and it didn't make. I would have been glad to drive over and get it. :?

The next morning, I get texted that UPS delivered the envelope. I checked around the house and find nothing. I checked the neighbors and nothing. Then I spy this golf cart, really a golf cart piled with Christmas packages (this was less than a month ago) about 4 houses down. Evidently UPS has a drop area to lessen the load for their trucks during the holiday and after some searching, we found her envelope/check on this cart.

A little more stress than I wanted, but it all worked out.
Hockey10 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm
I have found the USPS tracking to be very limited. I recently ordered something that was shipped 11 days ago. After 7 days, the tracking page on the USPS website said that the package had just arrived in Philadelphia. Today (4 days later), the package was finally delivered to my house, which is near Philadelphia. There were no intermediate updates on the status.

On an opposite note, I recently have had a few Amazon deliveries where AMZ tells me that I am 9 stops away or 5 stops away and then shows me a map where the delivery vehicle is in the neighborhood.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 am

It can also mean the item was picked up by USPS, but is sitting on the truck and not accepted at the local post office yet. (And wasn't scanned in when picked up.)

This is frustrating as a seller and I now ship out through a different suburban post office.

dogperson

Post by dogperson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 am

I agree that USPS always seems to say "what package" well after it's been dropped at the post office. Their main use case for tracking is delivery confirmation, which is more useful to the shipper than the recipient.

I like this tweet. Somebody retweeted it and added Amazon: we're inside your apartment. :-)