How often do you deep clean?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sgilmarti89

How often do you deep clean?

Post by sgilmarti89 »

My partner just came back from Walmart with $300 in cleaning supplies. He does this every new year and I'm wondering if this is something people actually do.

To give you a sense of how "deep" the cleaning goes ...

Every surface is wiped down with a wet wipe first, then vacuumed (twice!), then wiped again with a disinfecting solution. When I say every surface, I mean, literally every surface.

All sheets are boiled (yes, boiled!) to kill off things like dust mites, then washed, then ironed. Anything textile related is steam cleaned. Curtains are pre-washed to get rid of grime, then sent to the dry cleaners.

He insists on tossing out fabric chairs and getting new ones since the dust buildup is impossible to remove (this is actually true, I guess).

Even the fridge gets deep cleaned. Every item is removed, then the entire fridge wiped.

I don't even want to get started on the bathroom because when he is done, I would feel comfortable licking ice-cream off the toilet bowl.

Do people actually do this? I come from a household with much more relaxed cleaning standards. He's not like this the rest of the year. He just likes to do it once every year and he says it's much easier to maintain then to let things go to crap. But it is expensive and a little stressful.
livesoft

Re: How often do you deep clean?

Post by livesoft »

Never.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

LOL, I'd find that an unexpected business trip came up that required me to be away when this happened. Or a lonely aunt or long lost family friend who needed to be visited.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

This seems extreme, but once a year should be tolerable. If you want something to make you think "well, it could be worse", then I recommend a show on Netflix called "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners." Be careful about letting your partner see this because it might inspire him to deep clean more often!
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

never
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

sgilmarti89 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am... I would feel comfortable licking ice-cream off the toilet bowl.

Do people actually do this? ...
No.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

As long as your partner does most of the work, why complain?
BL

Post by BL »

Wow! I could use him at my house!

I would try to avoid things that need to be replaced annually-- like fabric chairs.
Maybe curtains if both washed and drycleaned.
Maybe it depends on whether you can afford it.

Certainly deep cleaning is not bad; maybe it is the old Spring Cleaning that used to happen a century ago. Destroying and replacing sounds a bit over the top.

Nobody is perfect. Some things are worth putting up with, but some not so much. Your life. I doubt you can change him.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

This is what I envision people without kids and 23 hours a day of free time doing.

I ain't got no time for this. We vacuum 4 times a year, whether it's needed or not. :?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I live longer when there’s dirt around me. Hey at least that’s my motto.

Edit to add, we do clean the carpet once a year. Is that OCD enough?
But we do clean out the fridge once a year. But the toilet is not clean at the lick ice cream level. I often hear people like to brag that their toilet is so clean that they can eat off the floor. Who would do that? Crazy if you ask me. This would fall into crazy things I read on the internet.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:55 am
sgilmarti89 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am... I would feel comfortable licking ice-cream off the toilet bowl.

Do people actually do this? ...
No.
FYI, Your Kitchen Is Probably Dirtier than a Toilet Seat
https://www.foodandwine.com/articles/fy ... oilet-seat
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
canderson

Post by canderson »

This is impressive OCD behavior.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We never do that every year. We also have no animals and do not wear street shoes inside the house.
We also never get sick from the house, so such deep cleaning is not needed in our house.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

I'd rather just move (worked great when I was renting). :D
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We keep a fairly clean house compared to many I see, but we do not take it to this level. If someone else is willing to do the work and as long as you are not throwing out high value stuff, I don’t see a problem if you partner wants to do it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sgilmarti89 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am My partner just came back from Walmart with $300 in cleaning supplies. He does this every new year and I'm wondering if this is something people actually do.

Every surface is wiped down with a wet wipe first, then vacuumed (twice!), then wiped again with a disinfecting solution. When I say every surface, I mean, literally every surface.

All sheets are boiled (yes, boiled!) to kill off things like dust mites, then washed, then ironed. Anything textile related is steam cleaned. Curtains are pre-washed to get rid of grime, then sent to the dry cleaners.

He insists on tossing out fabric chairs and getting new ones since the dust buildup is impossible to remove (this is actually true, I guess).

Even the fridge gets deep cleaned. Every item is removed, then the entire fridge wiped.

I don't even want to get started on the bathroom because when he is done, I would feel comfortable licking ice-cream off the toilet bowl.

Do people actually do this? I come from a household with much more relaxed cleaning standards. He's not like this the rest of the year. He just likes to do it once every year and he says it's much easier to maintain then to let things go to crap. But it is expensive and a little stressful.
Nope, certainly not us!

Tossing out fabric covered chairs?
Does that mean all "seating furniture" is replaced annually?
At one year of age, I hope you are trying to sell them (if not online, to a used furniture or consignment shop?) or get some type of value back.

Do you have sofa's?

Not meaning to give him ideas... are your mattresses and pillows in totally sealed/non-porous covers?
Does he "boil" blankets or comforters?

I used to move every few years, and that was also a good way to get "clean", in terms of dust under hard to move furniture, etc. When I was younger, I did do "better" cleaning than now, but nothing like the described activity.
(And of course, when there are little children around, the opportunities for cleaning are almost endless.)

Curtains are washed and *then* sent for dry cleaning?
(Aside from the duplication, doesn't that first action destroy the even shaping of the curtains? I used to make curtains out of flat sheets that matched my nice bed linens, and those could obviously be washed. But regular store-bought drapes?)

Also, you mention that "he just likes to do it...". Does that mean HE does it, or do you get recruited, too?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 pm
Turbo29 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm Cleaner may not always be better.

I won't post here to avoid running afoul of the medical advice prohibition but those who are interested can Google "hygiene hypothesis" and allergies and if you really want a shocker "hygiene hypothesis" and leukemia.
I don’t need to google. I used to live next to a doctor, he’s so fussy about his kids and food. Guess who ended up more sick than us?
Humans evolved in dirt and filth. Many doctors realize this and aren't as fussy.

My toddler oftens throws his sandwich on the floor if it's not up to his exacting sandwiches. It goes right back on his plate, even if the dog sniffed it.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

unclescrooge wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 pm
Turbo29 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm Cleaner may not always be better.

I won't post here to avoid running afoul of the medical advice prohibition but those who are interested can Google "hygiene hypothesis" and allergies and if you really want a shocker "hygiene hypothesis" and leukemia.
I don’t need to google. I used to live next to a doctor, he’s so fussy about his kids and food. Guess who ended up more sick than us?
Humans evolved in dirt and filth. Many doctors realize this and aren't as fussy.

My toddler oftens throws his sandwich on the floor if it's not up to his exacting sandwiches. It goes right back on his plate, even if the dog sniffed it.
Apparently not this doctor. He kept his kids in door a lot, while lots of us in our neighborhood got to run around freely.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Hey, dust mites have to live too!

The idea OPs partner has is fine so long as they don't drag anyone else in to it. Better very clean than very dirty.

With no kids in house except grandchildren visiting, and no pets, means deep cleaning isn't necessarily needed.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Having spent much time in hospitals, I worry more getting nasties there than at home. :shock:
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Nothing like that! Maybe every decade or two prior to a move. :-)

Otherwise, it's clean for company.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

I'm still hung up on the fabric chair deal. We have oak and fabric chairs in our dining room and I've had them for over 20 years. Blows my mind to think someone would throw them out annually! Yikes!
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

sounds like he needs a hobby
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I just live in an autoclave and run it once per day.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

sgilmarti89 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am My partner just came back from Walmart with $300 in cleaning supplies. He does this every new year and I'm wondering if this is something people actually do.

We don't go through that much trouble, but I like his style (except getting rid of the chairs)
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

oh my goodness!
The smell from all those cleaning products is not good for you. (The scents are worse for you than the smell of the chemicals.)
I do have and always plan to have a sofa and chair with washable slipcovers. I wash them every couple of years.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

No....

Post by 123 »

He undoubtedly flosses daily as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

It's certainly extreme compared to most people and, perhaps, some of it is counterproductive. It's probably not actually OCD since it happens only once a year.

If I had to guess, I would say he grew up (1) in a dirty home because I did and it is hard to find a good balance when you grow up without any cleaning habits or (2) with parents who did this exact same thing.

I do have a deep cleaning system. I do one room at a time and make sure all closets, cabinets, drawers are cleaned. I move furniture. I clean fixtures, windows, curtains/blinds, walls and ceilings if needed. Items get washed or dry cleaned or steamed or vacuumed (whatever makes sense). I get rid of clutter. I do this all year long.

Happy New Year!
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Upon reflection, I would rather have a partner who does this than one who feels comfortable living in a filthy and cluttered house and lets the animals pee and poo in the house. Yep, some people actually live like that.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

sgilmarti89 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 amAll sheets are boiled (yes, boiled!) to kill off things like dust mites, then washed, then ironed. Anything textile related is steam cleaned. Curtains are pre-washed to get rid of grime, then sent to the dry cleaners.

I'm not sold on these new washer/dryer steam/sterilizing/hygiene cycles, but it may be less trouble than boiling sheets and less expensive than throwing out all the items. Also, you can steam clean carpets and some furniture, and that may achieve some of what you want, though it's still disruptive, and it may not satisfy the need to deep clean. You can spend $50, $500 or hire a professional. Besides the $300 in cleaning supplies, how much is the annual cost of everything? How many hours of labor? Yours? His? Others?

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8382 ... ws-ratings

https://www.amazon.com/PurSteam-Handhel ... 06XHXFHWG/
https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Hard-Sur ... 001EYHAGS/

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Steam-Cle ... B0195GOPQY

Anyway, as extreme as it sounds, it's probably still cheaper than weekly therapy sessions.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:55 pm

Upon reflection, I would rather have a partner who does this than one who feels comfortable living in a filthy and cluttered house and lets the animals pee and poo in the house. Yep, some people actually live like that.
They are both extreme aren’t they. What about the normal average household?
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

keep things relatively clean as you go and full depth cleaning is superfluous
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

BL wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am Wow! I could use him at my house!

I would try to avoid things that need to be replaced annually-- like fabric chairs.
Maybe curtains if both washed and drycleaned.
Maybe it depends on whether you can afford it.

Certainly deep cleaning is not bad; maybe it is the old Spring Cleaning that used to happen a century ago. Destroying and replacing sounds a bit over the top.

Nobody is perfect. Some things are worth putting up with, but some not so much. Your life. I doubt you can change him.
Exactly. Send him over. Once a year it clearly isn't OCD, even if it might be overkill. Throwing chairs out every year seems expensive though.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Yeap, send him over here, as long as he does the cleaning, I’m good.

Btw, I avoid curtains for a reason, only have plantation shutters. Some areas, I have nothing. It lets in a lot of light and I’m happy with my open plan.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

unclescrooge wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pmMy toddler often throws his sandwich on the floor if it's not up to his exacting sandwiches. It goes right back on his plate, even if the dog sniffed it.
How can you expect your toddler to eat a sandwich that the dog won't even eat? :confused
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm

I guess I fall into the "normal average" (slightly more neat and clean than average, though). My point, though, is that the OPs partner probably is not going to change, so why not be grateful for his deep cleaning?
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

I bought a carpet shampoo cleaner years ago and try to clean carpets when I feel like doing. I clean a section of the house at a time. I am always amazed at the amount of dirt in the waste water it collects. I always think of replacing carpets with hardwood floors. Floor carpets may be the dirtiest thing in a house.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 pm

I guess I fall into the "normal average" (slightly more neat and clean than average, though). My point, though, is that the OPs partner probably is not going to change, so why not be grateful for his deep cleaning?
I see your point, but OP needs to understand the norm, otherwise why feed the beast in this case. You might not change anybody but that doesn’t mean you want to encourage this behavior further. Maybe this person comes from some countries that have bugs problem, who knows, it’s odd that we live in America, not a third world country, and to have to boil sheets. I wonder how OP’s partner deal with traveling, sleeping in hotels, using pillows that have been used by other people. So many scenarios I could think of.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

The OP's partner sounds like someone with a disorder like OCD. Boiling sheets, tossing out fabric furniture, vacuuming hard surfaces after wiping and then wiping again. Clearly some type of a psychological illness. No, it's not normal.

My wife cleans the house, not me (we divide tasks, cleaning isn't on my list). Our house is immaculate. People comment whenever they visit. My wife does normal cleaning, dusting, vacuuming. Nothing obsessive.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Jimmie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:14 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pmMy toddler often throws his sandwich on the floor if it's not up to his exacting sandwiches. It goes right back on his plate, even if the dog sniffed it.
How can you expect your toddler to eat a sandwich that the dog won't even eat? :confused
So what if the dog sniffed it? I'm more worried about what's on the floor! The floor doesn't lick the toddler all over the face. Then again you don't know what else the dog is sniffing or licking, but in either case, it's being passed via the sandwich or directly!
Last edited by inbox788 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I see your point, but OP needs to understand the norm, otherwise why feed the beast in this case. You might not change anybody but that doesn’t mean you want to encourage this behavior further. Maybe this person comes from some countries that have bugs problem, who knows, it’s odd that we live in America, not a third world country, and to have to boil sheets. I wonder how OP’s partner deal with traveling, sleeping in hotels, using pillows that have been used by other people. So many scenarios I could think of.
Not sure that is how "the beast" works. The beast is not rational. If it were rational, we wouldn't have the beast. (The hoarding beast is not rational, either.) I would not advise the OP to encourage the behavior. Perhaps leaving the premises with no comment would be best. I have never had this problem!!! I lived with a hoarder for decades, and it was a huge amount of work on my part just to keep things uncluttered enough so that the children could safely have their friends over. When that relationship was over, I realized what a financial drain the hoarding had been. I curate what I bring into my home very carefully.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm I bought a carpet shampoo cleaner years ago and try to clean carpets when I feel like doing. I clean a section of the house at a time. I am always amazed at the amount of dirt in the waste water it collects. I always think of replacing carpets with hardwood floors. Floor carpets may be the dirtiest thing in a house.
We don’t wear outside shoes in the house for a reason. But when we clean it, it’s dirty.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Not sure that is how "the beast" works. The beast is not rational. If it were rational, we wouldn't have the beast. (The hoarding beast is not rational, either.) I would not advise the OP to encourage the behavior. Perhaps leaving the premises with no comment would be best. I have never had this problem!!! I lived with a hoarder for decades, and it was a huge amount of work on my part just to keep things uncluttered enough so that the children could safely have their friends over. When that relationship was over, I realized what a financial drain the hoarding had been. All the clutter and unnecessary inventory and unread books and unplayed games cost a lot of money. I curate what I bring into my home very carefully.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I'm a neat freak by almost any standard and even I don't do anything remotely close to this extreme. This puts my annual "spring cleaning" to shame.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Not sure that is how "the beast" works. The beast is not rational. If it were rational, we wouldn't have the beast. (The hoarding beast is not rational, either.) I would not advise the OP to encourage the behavior. Perhaps leaving the premises with no comment would be best. I have never had this problem!!! I lived with a hoarder for decades, and it was a huge amount of work on my part just to keep things uncluttered enough so that the children could safely have their friends over. When that relationship was over, I realized what a financial drain the hoarding had been. I curate what I bring into my home very carefully.
My sister is a hoarder but no pee or poo in her house. I suggested to her to toss away anything old before she moves them to her new house, but she can’t help it. It’s a psychological problem. She bought a new house but have not moved in yet, but she already moved half of the old stuff into her new garage.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

This thread can't be real. No way. It can't be.
Funding secured
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

WHAT!!!

$300 of cleaning supplies!!!!

That's my take on it.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I do a deep clean spring cleaning, so once a year. I can get away with that because I live alone and am quite neat and clean in general. During spring cleaning everything get emptied out of each room, ceiling and walls are wiped down, floor is washed, rugs are cleaned, wood furniture is cleaned, paint is touch upped if needed, broken things are fixed, textiles are washed, windows are washed, clutter is collected for a haul to Goodwill. After a long winter I enjoy it although I take my time with it. I usually do a couple of rooms in March, and couple in April, and finish the house in May. I liked the feeling of having gone through every single item of my stuff and every inch of the house.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am This seems extreme, but once a year should be tolerable. If you want something to make you think "well, it could be worse", then I recommend a show on Netflix called "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners." Be careful about letting your partner see this because it might inspire him to deep clean more often!
David Sedaris comes to mind, he has OCD and is both an accomplished writer and house cleaner.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/don ... icker.html
JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO »

I think the methods are a bit much (I hope they’re at least giving away or selling the chairs every year!), but I try to do a deep clean once every 3 months or at the very least 2xs a year. This means dusting things up high, wiping down all the furniture, cabinet surfaces, taking everything out of the fridge and cleaning all the drawers, regrouting or recaulking anything that is showing wear, washing the deck, conditioning the furniture, things like that. I don’t feel the need to boil my sheets, because I wash them in hot water once a week and I have allergy covers on all my pillows (including throw pillows).

I have a pretty severe dust allergy, and I think the easiest, but certainly not cheapest, way to deal with these situations, is to not have anything that collects it in the first place. I have no fabric window coverings ( in NYC I would wash my curtains in the tub every few months, and the water would turn black from soot) , only a few area rugs that can be washed easily (or are indoor/outdoor rugs that don’t hold as much dust) and allergy covers. I also don’t have very many tchotchkes, and any art or photos are on walls.

Why does your partner keep buying fabric chairs? How about a leather chair, or a solid chair with a cheap replaceable fabric cushion?