24 inch electric range recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jb9

24 inch electric range recommendations

Post by jb9 »

Hello,

I am putting in a small efficiency kitchen in my workshop and I need to install a 24" electric range. The 24 inch size isn't as ubiquitous as the 30 inch and from the limited research I have done, I don't really now which one to buy. Has anyone bought a 24 inch electric range recently and had good luck? The reviews all seem somewhat lackluster. I am even considering installing a cooktop + wall oven mounted under the cabinet but that could complicate the electrical rough-in and the cabinet...

Sadly, there are so many 30 inch ranges on Craigslist but I can't make a 30" work (my space is very small and I don't have the clearance to combustibles (30 inches as per IRC)

Thanks in advance.
stan1

Re: 24 inch electric range recommendations

Post by stan1 »

How much are you going to use it especially for baking or anything other than heating up a can of soup or something similar? I'd go with something as simple as possible with minimal electronics. I'm assuming it really is a workshop and that you aren't actually building a granny flat or rental unit where this would serve as the primary kitchen for someone.
Topic Author
jb9

Post by jb9 »

Good question. It is a permitted as a workshop/ADU so let's assume I do want to cook therein.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

jb9 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:24 am Good question. It is a permitted as a workshop/ADU so let's assume I do want to cook therein.
Well if the intended user is you or someone you care about (parent, child) the high end option would be a Miele 24" oven. 24" ovens are still very common in Europe, not so much in the US. You could just do just a speed oven with an induction cooktop. This would also be nice if this kitchen will be an auxiliary kitchen for large family meals or parties.

If its an AirBnB or similar I'd get something simple and cheap from the discount appliance store and shrug your shoulders if the tenant complains about uneven heating in the oven.
mptness

Post by mptness »

jb9 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 am I don't have the clearance to combustibles (30 inches as per IRC)
Doesn't the 30 inches refer to the vertical distance from the top of the range to combustibles? Not sure why the width would matter in this case. :?:
Topic Author
jb9

Post by jb9 »

The structure is a timber frame and there is a knee brace that falls in the vicinity.
mptness

Post by mptness »

Now I can visualize the problem. Sorry to second guess you. Alas I have no experience with 24 inch ranges. :(
Topic Author
jb9

Post by jb9 »

No worries. Thanks for giving it some thought. I am happy with my design (the constraints are real but it will be nice to mortgage-free :happy ).

The kind folks who frequent this forum are always so savvy about consumption (which I don't really do much of) and I kinda thought there might be some better options for 24 inch ranges... From the reviews, it almost seems like I've got a 60-40 chance of getting something that isn't a piece of junk. I think I might be able to mitigate the risk by going all-in on an extended warranty + confirm with my CC that they will back me as well. The idea of getting something that fails quickly concerns me.
TheStig

Post by TheStig »

Several years ago, I moved into a very small house, and replaced the existing crappy electric 24-inch range with this brand-new not-crappy glass-top 24" range:

https://www.sears.com/kenmore-28-cu-ft- ... 290152000P

It worked very well for my needs at the time, and I was cooking from scratch for myself daily, and baking loaves of bread weekly. Normally I am a cooking-with-gas snob, but needs must, and it was perfectly fine. I especially enjoyed the easy cleanup of the glass top, and the self-cleaning feature of the oven (which was difficult to find on other models of this size at the time).

This model isn't made anymore, but thought I'd share my experience. A Google search for "24-inch electric range" shows a lot more choices than I had 10 years ago. I can't give you any opinions on more recent models, except if it were me, I'd stick with a brand name from a place that offered a warranty, and I'd (obviously) choose one with features important to me.

Edited to comment: For my sample size of one, this range never once had a problem in the several years I used it, and I used it hard and frequently.

Good luck!

The Stig
MJS

Post by MJS »

AJ Madison lists quite a few. I see that most have upfront controls, which make them ADA compatible and much safer than stretching your arm over burners. I prefer the kind with an oven window. So if an elderly person moves in, you are set. [Ah - fire extinguisher nearby but not behind the range? Workshop, so silly question.]
https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/24+Inch ... 4294964458
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

We love our 24-inch ovens.
Miele speed oven.
Miele convection oven.
Not cheap at $3K each, but worth it.

Miele makes a 24-inch induction hob.
A militant atheist.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jb9 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 am The structure is a timber frame and there is a knee brace that falls in the vicinity.
I believe 30" overhead clearance requirement is to unprotected combustibles.
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IRC20 ... nd-systems

I don't know what qualifies as sufficient heat protection, but perhaps it is an option to drywall or tile over the brace?