washer dryer rec

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Interpolfanclub

washer dryer rec

Post by Interpolfanclub »

Building a new house, looking for recommendation for new w/d combination. Currently have LG steam washer and dryer. Electric power, not gas in house. Thanks.
mortfree

Re: washer dryer rec

Post by mortfree »

I always see Speed-Queen recommended on this site.

I went the lower prices route and got GE top loader washer with agitator and electric dryer. ($900 total or so if I remember right)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Interpolfanclub wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm Building a new house, looking for recommendation for new w/d combination. Currently have LG steam washer and dryer. Electric power, not gas in house. Thanks.
We are happy with our LG units. Why not take yours with you? Could take the washer with you even if you are switching from gas to electric with the new house.
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I recommend a Speed Queen top loading washer and dryer. Mine are still running great after 23 years.
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

Not a recommendation for a washer and dryer, but the house I moved into two years ago had two washer/dryer hookups, and I still love being able start two loads at the same time. If you're building right now, I'm guessing the cost of adding a second set of hookups/vents would be minuscule.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

DTalos wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 pm I recommend a Speed Queen top loading washer and dryer. Mine are still running great after 23 years.
+1. Ours are about 4yrs old now not one issue. Plain old mechanical controls. My big box Maytag units lasted a whole year before the main circuit board went out.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I would recommend staying away from Maytag/Whirlpool. I had a Maytag dryer unit that required servicing four times in the span of five years. The Maytag washer gave out after six years. Have replaced them with LG units which appear good so far but it has only been a few months.
nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander »

DTalos wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 pm I recommend a Speed Queen top loading washer and dryer. Mine are still running great after 23 years.
Our Bosch washer died, the repair guy came said it was not repairable. We asked him what he owned he said Speed Queen. When he has time off he doesn't want to fix his own washer and dryer. He even gave us the model numbers. Five years in and no issues yet.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have had good luck with very basic and inexpensive units.
uberme

Post by uberme »

Another vote for LG :beer
samsdad

Post by samsdad »

Speed Queen. Made in the USA!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Smorgasbord wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 pm Not a recommendation for a washer and dryer, but the house I moved into two years ago had two washer/dryer hookups, and I still love being able start two loads at the same time. If you're building right now, I'm guessing the cost of adding a second set of hookups/vents would be minuscule.
One of the latest features available is instead of a storage pedestal to elevate front-load washers and dryers, the pedestal is small (~ 1 cubic foot) washer and dryer, so additional loads of small quantities of items you want kept separate can be run at the same time.

Generic estimates are typically in the $500-1000 range for each plumbing fixture you add to a new construction. The additional 240V for the dryer will probably be similar, and depending on location, the dryer vent as well, but the additional 120V for the washer will be less. Plus you need some extra space for the larger or second laundry room. That usually runs $100-250/square foot averaged over the whole house, but there's overlap in that kind of average with the plumbing costs.

It's not a big addition to the overall price of a new house, but I would not say a second set of hookups is a miniscule cost. Hence why I mention a possible alternative.
Luckywon wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:08 am I would recommend staying away from Maytag/Whirlpool. I had a Maytag dryer unit that required servicing four times in the span of five years. The Maytag washer gave out after six years. Have replaced them with LG units which appear good so far but it has only been a few months.
For every anecdote one person can offer about a consumer product, there's hundreds of thousands or millions of conflicting anecdotes. The Whirlpool that was in our house when we bought it had a manufacture date that made it 13 years old when we decided the signs of wearing out meant it was time to replace, and it had clearly been abused by the previous occupants.

This is one of the reasons I think Consumer Reports still has value, as part of their review process includes subscriber surveys to find out what brands of products they own and how they are doing. This aggregated data is much more useful for reliability assessment, in my opinion, than individual reviews.

Whirlpool and Maytag have been mid-pack. LG has been one of the leading brands in recent years reliability.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

My Maytag toploader has run for 35 years without problems until this week. It now has an intermittent water leak underneath but the machine still washes well.
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Speed Queen -- purchased a dryer when ours died and love it. We'll do the same with the washer.

Latest model of the washer has some bad press online due to a re-design, but depends on how you want to interpret the situation. Some argue the re-design has resulted in an inferior product, others that there is some bad blood stemming from a dealer who lost their license (bit of a chicken or egg there -- did the dealer start bad mouthing the product and lose their license or vice versa). Either way, my parents just purchased the latest model of washer and dryer and have good things to say. Regardless of your views on performance testing, in the real world the new machines are getting the job done and are built to last.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

We bought samsung washer and dryer. They are very good for the price we bought.
It have nice features but I heard speed queen is best among home owners
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

EZ James wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 am My Maytag toploader has run for 35 years without problems until this week. It now has an intermittent water leak underneath but the machine still washes well.
Might be the pump. Those old top loaders are extremely simple machines. I have a 90s vintage Kenmore (rebranded Whirlpool) and the pump is a $20 plastic part and can be swapped out in minutes without any tools- just 4 clips hold it on and the hoses. Biggest PIA is tipping the machine on its back to get to it.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

spooky105 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:06 am Speed Queen -- purchased a dryer when ours died and love it. We'll do the same with the washer.

Latest model of the washer has some bad press online due to a re-design, but depends on how you want to interpret the situation. Some argue the re-design has resulted in an inferior product, others that there is some bad blood stemming from a dealer who lost their license (bit of a chicken or egg there -- did the dealer start bad mouthing the product and lose their license or vice versa). Either way, my parents just purchased the latest model of washer and dryer and have good things to say. Regardless of your views on performance testing, in the real world the new machines are getting the job done and are built to last.
Regarding Speed Queen, see the New York Times's Wire Cutter. The Speed Queen uses much more water and energy than other models, causes more wear on clothing, and as of the 2018 model struggles to clean laundry on top of that.

When a long time dealer and fan of the company posted a video of the new washer in action, Speed Queen demanded that he take down the video showing how Speed Queen works. When he didn't do that, they immediately prevented him from buying parts to repair decades of washers he sold, let alone new washers.

Is that the behavior of a reputable company I would want to do business with? No way.

I'm very happy with the cleaning ability and reliability of my (LG) HE front loading washer, and my water bill over the years is a fan too.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer
samsdad

Post by samsdad »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm
spooky105 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:06 am Speed Queen -- purchased a dryer when ours died and love it. We'll do the same with the washer.

Regarding Speed Queen, see the New York Times's Wire Cutter. The Speed Queen uses much more water and energy than other models, causes more wear on clothing, and as of the 2018 model struggles to clean laundry on top of that.

When a long time dealer and fan of the company posted a video of the new washer in action, Speed Queen demanded that he take down the video showing how Speed Queen works. When he didn't do that, they immediately prevented him from buying parts to repair decades of washers he sold, let alone new washers.

Is that the behavior of a reputable company I would want to do business with? No way.

I'm very happy with the cleaning ability and reliability of my (LG) HE front loading washer, and my water bill over the years is a fan too.

If you believe everything the NYT publishes. . .

Read the comments section and look for some comments by a guy named Lance. You’ll see the complaints are phooey.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

samsdad wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm
criticalmass wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm

If you believe everything the NYT publishes. . .

Read the comments section and look for some comments by a guy named Lance. You’ll see the complaints are phooey.
I don't believe everything the NYT (or anyone else) publishes. I choose to believe an 18 year Speed Queen dealer and advocate, who is highly experienced in selling and repairing Speed Queen products , over a guy named Lance writing comments. :)
samsdad

Post by samsdad »

Lance is also supposedly a dealer.
I watch all these comments and just shake my head. To be transparent I sell appliances. I sell Speed Queen, GE, and Whirlpool built products. I have been doing this for over 30 years. First a few facts. Speed Queen was forced to change its 2017 line to meet new energy standards for 2018. They did this by meeting the standards in ONE cycle- the Eco-Normal cycle. This cycle is 28.5 minutes long, uses only COLD water no matter what temperature you set the unit to, and uses a spray rinse instead of a deep fill rinse like they have on the other cycles. Only someone who knows nothing about laundry would wash heavily soiled fabrics in this cycle. These tests people are doing are being done on this cycle. A commenter mentioned that the new Speed Queen units are direct drive. That is false. The machine is driven by a one horse power variable speed motor that is attached to a kevlar infused belt which attaches to a pulley and driveshaft..in other words it is BELT DRIVEN. It is true that the unit does not drive the clothes down to the bottom where the agitator fins pound the clothes clean. It uses water being driven through the clothes to clean...this is more similar to the way front load washers clean...the results are clean clothes without the rough treatment of the fabric. I have sold the "old" Speed Queens since they came back on the retail market and was skeptical of changes like everyone else. The results, by those who actually have purchased the product (not those that just whined about the changes) have been spectacular. Service call rates are even below the old models superior performance. The GE's and Whirlpools are decent machines and I sell plenty of them. They cannot compete with Speed Queen. You will likely buy 3-4 of the other brands before a Speed Queen owner will be looking to replace theirs.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

We bought a pair of Samsungs last year. The dryer is already squeaking loudly like it's going to need a service call sometime soon. Wish we bought the Speed Queens.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Westwing

Post by Westwing »

We can feel the quality of our Speed Queen set. Flawless operation, built like a tank. Just grab the stainless steel agitator and move it around. Now try this on some big box plastic piece. No comparison. Well worth the extra money.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

Yet another Speed Queen recommendation. Buy them while they are still legal.