Need Recommendation for Paint Color

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Need Recommendation for Paint Color

Post by Kennedy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 am

I'm looking for ideas as to a favorite very pale, neutral beige color to paint a room. I know greige (grey/beige) is popular, but it wouldn't work in the room. Do you have any favorites? I've purchased a few sample colors, but I haven't found anything that is to my liking. Thought I would ask if you all had a favorite so I could go from there.
Last edited by Kennedy on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Re: Need Recommendation for Paint Color

Post by stan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

I like Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray. Don't let the Gray in the name fool you and when you compare it against other grays you'll immediately see the difference. Color names are marketing terms not facts or science. For us it is a warm neutral color without undertones of gold, orange, pink, red, purple, blue, green, etc. However, if you already have some of those colors in the room it may pick them up.

I read Maria Killam's website and went ahead and bought her e-book when I was choosing colors. It helped me out.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 am
I'm looking for ideas as to a favorite very pale, neutral beige color to paint a room. I know greige (grey/beige) is popular, but my it wouldn't work in the room. Do you have any favorites? I've purchased a few sample colors, but I haven't found anything that is to my liking. Thought I would ask if you all had a favorite so I could go from there.
We had three rooms in our house that were painted what we called "mud" (bleech!).
Very dreary, and also a bit too dark.

After agonizing over the 'paint books' (with about a gazillion little strips that are organized by color families, etc.) we purchased four little sample cans, and painted about a square foot of each on one wall.
If you aren't *sure* about your choice, then paint a larger section of your choice on the wall.
Give it a bit of time, so you can get used to it.

We ended up choosing a beige that had a very slight pink tint, which really cheers up the rooms.

My experience from previous painting is that just about any color will end up "more intense" (e.g., TOO intense) once on all the walls. (I learned that the hard way, from painting children's rooms ages ago, one in "pale" blue, one in "pale" pink.
Once on all walls, there was absolutely nothing "pale" about either of them.
Fortunately, the children LOVED them (whew).

Also, the type of finish can make a huge difference.

We ended up being *so* pleased that the rooms felt much brighter, and also larger.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I'm looking for ideas as to a favorite very pale, neutral beige color to paint a room. I know greige (grey/beige) is popular, but my it wouldn't work in the room. Do you have any favorites? I've purchased a few sample colors, but I haven't found anything that is to my liking. Thought I would ask if you all had a favorite so I could go from there.
It might be darker than you are looking for, but Navajo White is incredibly popular as a fairly neutral color: link

Shell White is a lighter version with a similar warm tone: link

Origami White is another nice one: link
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm not the OP, but appreciate the links to the colors.
Nice colors and very helpful links.
Thank you! :happy :happy

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

We used to have Behr Sandstove Cove in most of our house. It's a lovely color. It worked for many years but I got tired of the beige and we are painting over the last of it this weekend in fact! (SW Anew Grey, but that's firmly in the greige camp which you don't want).

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/730C-2

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:53 pm

I don't think there is any way around getting the million color strips, holding them up in the actual room. There are so many other things around with some color you don't want to clash. Adjacent rooms, doors, trim around windows etc.

Also different people have different color vision, and females tend to have better color vision than men, not only because they have a greater number of cones (in the retina) than men, but because subtle degrees of color blindness are more common than you think and that is more common in men. So if OP is not female, consider getting a female's point of view.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

janezoey

Post by janezoey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:01 pm

I saw a friend's living room painted "November Skies" from Benjamin Moore. I only knew because I raved about the color so much, that my host brought me to the basement to figure out the color from the leftover paint cans.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 pm

When we bought our last house, I looked at Pinterest a lot for color ideas. We settled on Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore for the entire house and absolutely love it. However, that doesn't sound like something you would consider.

I would suggest doing a search for "neutral beige paint" in Pinterest. Some interesting colors are "Accessible Beige" by Sherwin Williams and "Manchester Tan" by Benjamin Moore.

Also, I highly recommend reading the blog by Kylie M - she is very knowledgeable in choosing paint colors. Here's a page regarding warm neutral paint colors:
https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/best-ben ... ndertones/

She recommends colors based on whether your room is north-facing (receiving little sunlight) or west- or south-facing (more saturated with natural sunlight).

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Personally I hate beige in all forms. It's a waste of a good neutral.

I really like the cool light greys that are in right now. Not really greige because there's no yellow in them. Try a bluer or lavenderer grey and see if you like them.

In our own house the neutral is "Swan Wing" (a Behr color but it's easy to find an equivalent in your preferred paint family) which is a bright white with a tiny hint of yellow. It has a warm friendly feeling while still being clean.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm

My wife and I chose Sherwin-Williams "Agreeable Gray" (SW 7029) for our kitchen and dining room and really like it:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... lors&p=PS0
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

It depends on whether you're looking for a recommendation only for that room, or whether you want the entire floor to have a nice color scheme. Back when I was doing my own "General Contracting," during a 2007 renovation of a kitchen, flooring, powder room, upstairs hall bathroom and picking materials such as floor tile, cabinets, backsplash tiles, shower tile, it was just much for me to choose colors for all the rooms.

Well, my solution was to hire an interior designer at the Benjamin Moore store that only cost $200 and she was done in about an hour. Well worth the cost!

H-B

Maven

Post by Maven » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm

I second Revere Pewter but it's a bit darker than what you may prefer. I highly recommend these Benjamin Moore colors... Silver Satin, Classic Gray and Collingwood. These were recommended by an interior designer and we love them in our home.

Post by 123 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm

You can't go wrong with Antique White.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm

If you're looking for a neutral beige, we used Sherwin Williams - Nantucket Dune. We first painted in this color when we moved in. Now my wife wants gray... after I already bought a 5 gallon bucket last year to be used for all of the touch ups that I do all the time with kids in the house :oops: nice color though!

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm

What are the undertones of the stuff that makes beige paint necessary? (Take a carpet or fabric sample to a fancy paint store to find out if you don't see the undertones: how pink or green or yellow or blue, how greyed-out vs pastel) Pick a beige that harmonizes or contrasts.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:23 pm

we used Playa Arenosa from Sherwin Williams:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nosa+color

postscript: got it in Harmony paint (No VOC). No VOC, no smell and/or headaches. A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I'm looking for ideas as to a favorite very pale, neutral beige color to paint a room. I know greige (grey/beige) is popular, but it wouldn't work in the room.
Technically, the color you're referring to is taupe.

Are you selling the home? If so, some shade of taupe is generally best. If not, choose whatever you like. And don't be afraid to repaint. Paint is cheap, and sometimes it just takes two or three attempts to get it just right.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 pm

50% bamboo + 50% gainsboro

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 pm

I was able to match colors with our electrical outlets and wall plates (almond). The room came out really well with a light almond color (matched at SW) and the outlets/switch just blend right in and you hardly notice them.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:32 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm
I like Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray. Don't let the Gray in the name fool you and when you compare it against other grays you'll immediately see the difference. Color names are marketing terms not facts or science. For us it is a warm neutral color without undertones of gold, orange, pink, red, purple, blue, green, etc. However, if you already have some of those colors in the room it may pick them up.

I read Maria Killam's website and went ahead and bought her e-book when I was choosing colors. It helped me out.
+1 on her book and website. I also paid her for an exterior color recommendation and was very happy with the results. We emailed back and forth.

Op, I would recommend Pale Oak by Benjamin Moore. It is a warm griege neutral and much lighter and less grey/blue than most of the colors others have posted (to my eye). We use it with white trim in most of our house.

MichaelM

Post by MichaelM » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

A nice light beige color : Sherwin Williams Nomadic Desert.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm

I do not like beige, tan, or gray, so ended up with what someone else may consider too many shades of pale blues and greens in my house. Those shades would not work in the FR/breakfast room/kitchen, so I chose Benjamin Moore Sail Cloth. It is nowhere near as dark as it appears here.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/col ... olor=PM-21

I purchased dozens of pints of paint, painted the samples on boards, moved the boards around the room to catch the light at different hours of the day, and then lightened the colors by blending with base white. If you have a sample of something you like, the paint store can match it for you and custom blend a color for you.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 am

Raymond wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm
My wife and I chose Sherwin-Williams "Agreeable Gray" (SW 7029) for our kitchen and dining room and really like it:

+1. Wife and I chose that for our downstairs 1/2 bath, nice color

Propertytax

Post by Propertytax » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 am

123 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm
You can't go wrong with Antique White.
+1

Love it. Olympic's antique white at Lowe's has worked very well in our house.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 am

We are selling our home and recently painted. Our Realtor, a very experienced one, says grey continues to be popular, as you mentioned, but the "new" approach is pure white in local homes and the annual home show. Our house had beige and off-white trim, so pure white would require trim to be painted as well. Though smaller areas, windows and baseboard painting essentially doubles the price, so is nice if it can be avoided. We chose what is a lighter color that is in the beige range. It is called Canvas Tan, and it does brighten up a room and goes well with our tile, cabinets and hardwood. It is confusing since there are huge numbers of similar colors. Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin-Williams, etc. do sell small samples of paint for about $6. Paint chips are too small to get a proper estimate of what paint will look like in most cases. Choose an inconspicuous spot, of course, to try out a small, spot about 6" X 6". Our painter recommended eggshell rather than flat or shinier. It is apparently easier to clean. An earlier painter recommended flat as being easier to touch-up later if minor damage occurs, so that could also be a consideration.

Tim

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 am

Poorly-selected interior wall paint will make your home look like it was decorated by a clown troupe.

Relying on a 2-square-inch sample on a paint chip, or a 12" x 12" section of a wall that's already painted a color you want to get rid of isn't terribly effective unless you have an eye.

Most people don't see the pinks or the yellows or the pus green hues until the paint is already on every wall and the sun comes up the following morning.

If color isn't your thing (and it isn't for many, including me) hire a designer by the hour to help you select something perfect for your home.

You could also visit model homes in nearby new home communities and pick out something you love that way. The builder's sales team usually has lots of down time, and they're generally happy to find out the brand and paint codes that were selected for the models by the homes' designers.
Last edited by Trism on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 am

I'm a 20 year house painter by trade, so here goes. We like Sherwin Williams products, used them for 20 years. I personally think Softer Tan is, if not the best color in their index, one of the top 5. It works beautifully with most carpet/furniture/window treatment combinations. It would be my choice for your circumstances.

I like Agreeable Gray, too, we're using it right now on a large 10k job on the walls. As was mentioned before, Antique White is a safe bet. Basket Beige is a nice color...you must be careful picking out tans and beiges, they often look pinkish.