master suite features for addition

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

master suite features for addition

Post by BashDash » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

Hi all,
I used the search box to find some help and found a thread regarding features people liked/disliked about their house addition but did not find one specific to a master suite. We are putting on a master suite addition and are keeping it relatively simple but would like some suggestions from anyone. The bedroom won't have a "sitting area" and we won't want a hot tub in the bathroom but wondering other features people thought were helpful. Right now we are thinking radiant heat , a laundry chute, and his/her closets ( not walk in but sizable) Thanks in advance!!
Last edited by BashDash on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

livesoft

Re: master suite features for addition

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:47 am

Make sure a water heater is directly over the Master Bath Shower and Tub. You will thus get pretty instant hot water.

You may want a door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Our master bathroom came with 7 doors.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:53 am

For us in addition to being adequately sized would be a walk in closet area with additional storage, large walk in shower and an 8 foot slider with a deck providing a view of our garden. Our small 5000 square foot lot and building codes would drastically limit our options.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 am

The thing I miss most with our current house is the lack of a "throne room". We had to choose between getting a house that we would have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet or one that didn't have a walled off toilet, so we went without our throne room. It does have a large linen closet inside of the bathroom, though. The other one had a linen closet area inside of the bedroom closet, and what do you do when you get out the shower and realize there is no towel?

A properly organized master closet is a must for us. We have a large walk-in, but it really wasn't useful until we had a closet system made. We can fit a lot in there other than clothes on hangers now.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 am

We are planning a similar project. In the bathroom, all I really want to add is a HEATED ceramic floor and a towel warming bar.

I like the idea of keeping the toilet separate from everything else, if that is possible. I also like making the walk-in shower at least 5 feet square with a tiled bench. Slope the whole shower floor to a long, slotted drain located under the bench. Enclose the shower with a glass door and wall. If the shower is large enough, it will be harder to scum up the glass with soap and/or shampoo residue. There should be a low barrier on the floor to keep the water in that is easy to step over.

Install at least one fixed shower head at one end of the shower and a hand-held shower head at the other. Be sure your pipes can be configured to give suitable pressure to both at the same time. You can keep those huge overhead "rain" shower heads. I personally hate them.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am

A lot depends on where you house is located and how it is configured plus your desires.

A massive walk-in closet accessed from inside the bathroom is good. Laundry nearby also good. Jetted tub. Lots of natural and un-natural dimmable light. Privacy. Two-person shower with lots of nozzles. Humidity-sensing, low dB extractor fan. Bluetooth in-ceiling speakers. If cold area, heated towel racks and floors. Shaving mirror. Great storage around sink areas. If tropical area, a door from the shower directly to the pool area is popular.

In bedroom indirect dimmable lighting plus good reading lights on both sides of bed with dimmers and book lighting. Maybe wall-mounted tv and in-ceiling speakers.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:09 am

snackdog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am
A lot depends on where you house is located and how it is configured plus your desires.

A massive walk-in closet accessed from inside the bathroom is good. Laundry nearby also good. Jetted tub. Lots of natural and un-natural dimmable light. Privacy. Two-person shower with lots of nozzles. Humidity-sensing, low dB extractor fan. Bluetooth in-ceiling speakers. If cold area, heated towel racks and floors. Shaving mirror. Great storage around sink areas. If tropical area, a door from the shower directly to the pool area is popular.

In bedroom indirect dimmable lighting plus good reading lights on both sides of bed with dimmers and book lighting. Maybe wall-mounted tv and in-ceiling speakers.
I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just highlighting the fact that bedrooms are a very personal choice, but this would be my nightmare master bedroom. My husband and I really thought about how we spend our time when we had to chose between the 2 houses. My husband wakes up 10 mins before I do. He would be locked in the bathroom and I wouldn't be able to get my clothes out of the closet. I wash clothes later in the evening, so I would keep him awake if the laundry room is near the bedroom. I hate my jetted tub with a passion. I can't wait for the pump to break so I can tear it out. Hard to clean, too big to keep the water warm, and the jets knot my long hair. We also thought we would love a huge shower, but it turns out that I was constantly cold and felt like I was in a gym locker when we had a huge shower in our hotel room. A very pretty gym locker, though. It turns out that we also have no use for showering together. We are both the "get in, get out" type of shower people. I think my ideal bedroom would be an isolation chamber. No light, no sound. Our only noisemaker is our alarm clock.

I know people that insist on having huge sinks and surrounds so they can keep their cosmetics and toothpaste right at arm's reach. I really prefer a clean look with everything put away in cabinets. My sister's master bedroom basically serves as a living room. Her kids are in there all of the time watching tv and she even has the Xbox in there. I can't wrap my head around it. I don't even read in bed. I thought about putting in a little coffee bar in our sitting room, but even that is too much activity for me and the sound of the mini fridge would keep me up at night. It would probably be good for resale value, though. I look on Realtor.com to get ideas for redecorating and a lot of my neighbors seem to have all kinds of gadgets in their bedrooms. I mean like exercise equipment and breakfast bars, not "bedroom gadgets". Lol. I probably wouldn't mind an electric fireplace, though.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

I prefer built-in cabinets to closets and dressers -- they waste less space. In an addition, space costs money to build, heat, light, etc.

A heated towel rack is nice -- especially in cold or humid climates.

When you choose your lights, look at the actual coverage pattern, consider the height of your ceilings, and make sure they actually light up what you want lit -- most diy and contractors ignore this to their peril...

Multiple light sources in your closets -- shadows are a pain.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am

We have very simple tastes.
Hardest part was picking shower and floor tile.
No heated floors, no separate toilet room, just plenty of room for a king bed, a walk-in closet, and bathroom accessed from the closet.
Can shower and get dressed behind the closet door w/out disrupting each other.
Got Ikea closets, with clothes bars between them.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 am

A separate WC room is nice if multiple people are using the room but even if its mostly one person in the room its nice to close the door when the WC is not being used. Walk in shower of course but one thing to keep in mind is that the steam build up inside the shower area which keeps you warm. The bigger and more open the shower the less warmth from the steam. For that reason I wouldn't go oversized and would still do a glass shower door. In my area people are taking out large spa/soaking tubs to get more useful space (so long as there is another tub in the house). We keep the coffee maker in our master suite (especially nice if you have a two story house and spend much of the morning upstairs). Some built in shelves and dressers are a nice luxury touch to fill in some difficult to use spaces.

Our preference is to keep the bedroom focused on bedroom activities so no sofa arrangements, media room, gym, or office directly in the bedroom (which often tend to promote clutter and auxiliary space for laying out clean and dirty clothes). Space for a king size bed but not more.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for all replies! As another poster mentioned I know this a lot of features are due to personal taste but this is still helping reading through what people like/dislike. Thanks!

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Dimmer switch for lighting. If you go this way, it will influence your choice of light fixtures as well as light bulbs. If LED, the fixture has to accommodate dimmer. FWIW, we put a big LED in the kitchen, it says it is OK for a dimmer, but when we put the dimmer switch it made a buzzing noise. Tried 3 different dimmer switches (all the same brand and style), and the light buzzed with all of them; so it was the light not the switch. Those switches worked fine with other LED light fixtures elsewhere in the house.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:52 pm

Dual walk-in closets outside of bathroom with organization system, full length mirror, excellent lighting, and electrical outlet. Ours are large enough that could alternatively be used as a small nursery or office area. Eliminate dressers in bedroom area.

Wall-mounted TV, gas or electric fireplace, sound system with ceiling speakers in bedroom and bathroom areas.

Small coffee bar with small fridge and cabinet for supplies.

Ultra quiet bathroom exhaust fan with heater in colder climates.

Solid wood doors and soundproofing for shared bedroom/bathroom walls to minimize sleep disturbances.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Put extra electric power sockets in the throne room and or bathroom for a night light. You will need a night light when you get older to allow for extra visits to restroom at night.

Put a cedar wall in closet to stop bugs and odors. Put in closet organizers to improve closet use.

Make sure shower entry is level with floor to eliminate trip and fall issues. No curb....

Make sure bathroom has a door between it and the bedroom. Put a second door between throne and rest of bathroom.

Put a small heater (gas or electric) in the bedroom to heat the bedroom on the cool winter mornings. Maybe make that heater a part of TV stand or clothes dresser.

Put in floor heat under bathroom tile and put a time control near or under bathroom counter. But make sure the control is easy to reach for on and off selection.

Buy a nice big wicker basket with a lid and a cloth lining for dirty laundry. Get these at Cost Plus World Market. Put this basket in the bedroom. Put the laundry room and washer and drier away from the bedroom so the noise is not a issue when sleeping.

Put in a big ceiling fan above the bed for hot summer nights. Have this fan speed switch installed next to the room light wall switch. Put in down spot reading lamps beside or right over each side of bed and make sure these switches can be reached from the bed when laying down. I use lamps for this but others prefer ceiling or wall mount lights.

Make sure bedroom is wide enough and long enough for a big king mattress and bed set and night stand next to each side of the bed.

Put in 4 wall electric sockets next to each side of the bed. Yes four. Remember those phone chargers and bedside lights and a plug in clock radio and a back pain heating pad. Put a center bed electric socket set to power the bed tilt mechanism. Then make sure there is a wall plug a few feet away from the bed for a floor lamp or other stuff (humidifier or ??). So at least 3-4 electric plug sets on the bed head side. Then you need a plug away from the bed on the opposite wall for a room light that is controlled by the room entry switch. And then put 2-3 electric other sockets on the other walls for TVs or other stuff.

Make sure the bedroom windows have nice big black out drapes that open during the day but close completely at night. In most cases this means two over lapping sets of drapes. Watch out for those newer homes with big high ceiling and odd shaped high windows for extra light but no drapes.

Good Luck

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Make sure that the the room is as handicap friendly as possible.

That will not only help if you are still there when you are older but I have also known people that have had to use a wheelchair or walker temporarily after being in a car accident.

Even if you do not make if fully handicap accessible there is a lot you can do for very little cost just by using a good layout and wide enough doors that open the right way. Pocket doors may make the doors less of an obstruction.

Sturdy grab bars in the shower or tub are a good safety feature for people of all ages.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:01 pm

When we had a master suite constructed, the architect suggested a sloped ceiling that followed the outline of the pitched roof, rather than a standard 8' flat ceiling; he said it would make the room feel much bigger, given the floor area limitations. This was a great idea, and we have loved this the last 15 years.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm

I recommend having what is usually called a “makeup counter/vanity” that allows you to sit and dry your hair, put on makeup, and do any other hygiene/grooming activities that are more comfortable to do while seated.

I first had the opportunity to use one in the high-end bath of a cruise ship suite, and it was great.

We are designing a semi-custom retirement home and are replacing the standard bathtub with the makeup counter.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 am
We are planning a similar project. In the bathroom, all I really want to add is a HEATED ceramic floor and a towel warming bar.

I like the idea of keeping the toilet separate from everything else, if that is possible. I also like making the walk-in shower at least 5 feet square with a tiled bench. Slope the whole shower floor to a long, slotted drain located under the bench. Enclose the shower with a glass door and wall. If the shower is large enough, it will be harder to scum up the glass with soap and/or shampoo residue. There should be a low barrier on the floor to keep the water in that is easy to step over.

Install at least one fixed shower head at one end of the shower and a hand-held shower head at the other. Be sure your pipes can be configured to give suitable pressure to both at the same time. You can keep those huge overhead "rain" shower heads. I personally hate them.
@jimmie & I are brothers from another mother. 2 shower heads are heaven. And the rain heads suck (for me)

we like closet systems in the walk in closet. Instead of the closets to go (or whatever) people find a trim carpenter and work w/them to lay out a closet system for you. Can save a few bucks. Low db fan is great. Put it on a timer. I'm agnostic on a steam shower. Never had one. But worry about water damage. Put a couple soap dishes in your shower. Mrs scrapr did when we were building and it would have been a big miss. We like the frameless shower doors. Seems "classier". Big jetted & non jetted tubs are on the way out. Not many use them anymore. Save your space

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:29 pm

When we did our custom house, the plumber agreed to place the outlet for the shower head over 7 feet high, makes a huge difference for my wife and I. We are both fairly tall, and the "traditional" height of 6 feet for the shower head did not cut it.

Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Jeep4Life wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:29 pm
When we did our custom house, the plumber agreed to place the outlet for the shower head over 7 feet high, makes a huge difference for my wife and I. We are both fairly tall, and the "traditional" height of 6 feet for the shower head did not cut it.
I'll second this. I walked into our home as the plumber was roughing in the shower. He was just getting to this and I had him raise it higher than normal as we are both fairly tall too.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Clark & Addison wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm
I walked into our home as the plumber was roughing in the shower. He was just getting to this and I had him raise it higher than normal as we are both fairly tall too.
Had you been too late, you still could have fixed the issue. They make decent looking "S" shaped shower pipes that will essentially raise the height. And there are also slide bars. Google them. I'm 5'6" so I need to stand on a stepladder just to get to the standard height shower head properly.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm

We used 36 inch doors in our addition. good for handicap access although we have no need for it now.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 pm

GuyInFL wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm
We used 36 inch doors in our addition. good for handicap access although we have no need for it now.
+1 Although needs are not immediate now, handicap access is in the plans for our remodel. All it takes in many cases is additional width to doors and openings. Better to do it upfront. Hard (or impossible) to do later.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm

my dream master suite has a walk-thru closet between the bedroom and his & her full master bathrooms side by side. washer and dryer as well as an island would be in the walk thru closet. My bathroom would have walk in shower w exhaust and separate toilet room w exhaust, a granite vanity top on a retrofitted solid wood antique chest of drawers and a linen closet. DWs would be setup however she wanted. This keeps everything clothing related in one spot and keeps DW's hair out of my shower and sink and floor. Also makes plumbing rough-ins easy. Could do a wet wall between the two bathrooms w pipe chase.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Master bath is now more than 20 years old, but still happy with everything, although I wished I had radiant heat. Dismissed it at the time due to cost. No tub, as I knew I would never use it.

Five-sided glass shower that is five feet wide at its widest. One wall-mounted shower head and one hand-held that is mostly used for cleaning the shower. Marble bench built into corner. Tile floor pitched to the center where drain is located. I could leave the door open when showering and the water would not leak out. Did not run glass door & walls to ceiling, as it is not a steam shower.

Had a mirror set into the wall above the double vanity, filling every inch of the wall above the vanity, and then had carpenter frame it out, using decorative molding piece in each corner.

I would build the closet as large and as fitted as you can accommodate.

I also had a stackable washer/dryer installed in a hall laundry closet. I still have a larger set two flights down but love the convenience of a small set upstairs.

I would consider handicap access if making these changes at/post middle age.

Enjoy your new space!

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Consider a place for outfit fixes in one of the closets:
* Iron & board, basic sewing kit, iron-on patches, safety pins, lint rollers ...
* Shoe polish, brushes, cloths, waterproofing ...
* Place to sit while fixing ... that won't get shoe polish everywhere and has good sewing light

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Heated floors in the shower/bath area. Way better than stepping onto cold floors!

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:19 pm

When I'm showing houses people love walk in closets. I'd reconsider not putting one (or 2) in.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:34 pm

We are saving for our master bedroom/ensuite bathroom demo, and I have a very long list. :D

For the bathroom:

- A larger-than-5' shower. A taller showerhead than normal, as DH as 6'+ and frequently has issues with a showerhead set too low.

- Tiled shelves in the wall, to eliminate racks hanging over the showerhead, or things piling up on the floor.

- A bench for shaving.

- No tub.

- Additional cabinetry, so we can store towels and TP in the bathroom, instead of in the hall linen closet.

- Mirrored medicine cabinets, with electrical outlet INSIDE the cabinet. This will allow for daily items to be out of sight instead of on the counter.

- Incandescent light for makeup application, as well as sufficient natural light in sink area to gauge colors.

- Sink handles that are movable when hands are soaped up. (Our old ones were cylindrical, and awful to use with soaped-up hands!)

- Tile floor, with heater unlayment.

- Separate WC -

- A door separating the bathroom from the bedroom - noise and light insulation will be important.

For the bedroom:

- Walk in closets, but as part of the bedroom, NOT in the bathroom. I agree that having to go through the bathroom to get to my clothes is annoying. ;) Good lighting, multiple heights for hanging, and storage for luggage and dirty laundry.

- Blackout drapes.

- Ceiling fan/light with dimmer, and 3 way switch - so either can be turned on/off from the slider to the deck, or as you enter the bedroom from the house.

- Added outlets as noted by previous poster near bed. Nowhere near enough for light, clock, cell phone chargers, electric blanket, etc.

- Love the idea of built-in reading lights in the wall, once we get a king sized bed set!

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 pm

One more thought. We had the vanity set up higher and had a false back installed so that the vanity is both slightly taller and deeper than stock cabinet dimensions. This saves one from having to bend down as far when washing face. Was a bit challenging when nine months pregnant, but otherwise has been much appreciated.

I would also suggest some sort of graduated lighting in the walk-in closet. I only have one light, and it is fairly dim so as not to blind the person sleeping in the bedroom. A fixture that allowed two or three levels would be helpful.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:25 am

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 pm
GuyInFL wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm
+1 Although needs are not immediate now, handicap access is in the plans for our remodel. All it takes in many cases is additional width to doors and openings. Better to do it upfront. Hard (or impossible) to do later.
+2 This can become a big issue very suddenly, and when it does you will be worried about so many other issues that you will not have any bandwidth for even a minor renovation. Set things up to work for handicap access. An person temporarily or permanently using a wheelchair will have a difficult time even getting in most toilet rooms, much less using one. Consider side transfer access to the toilet.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:28 am

I'm not typically squeamish or germophobic, but the concept of my clothes closet being IN the master bath area - even if there's a separate WC with door - totally grosses me out, and I'd never buy a home with such a configuration. I realize this configuration is a modern trend of late and maybe it's just me, but I still want the walk-in closet directly accessible from the bedroom area, with a separate entrance (preferable across the room) from the MBR area to the master bath area.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:53 am

A lot of good ideas in this thread.

In my ideal bedroom, I have very little furniture because the closet holds all the clothes.....all of them...along with his/hers seating to get dressed, dump pockets, etc.

Also want pocket lights to minimize lamps.

Bathroom, lots of organized storage so the Mrs can do makeup AND put it away when done.
All cabinets off the floor with solid surface flooring.

Pay attention to outlets vs furniture location.
A fan strong enough to prevent mirror from fogging.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:47 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:28 am
I'm not typically squeamish or germophobic, but the concept of my clothes closet being IN the master bath area - even if there's a separate WC with door - totally grosses me out, and I'd never buy a home with such a configuration. I realize this configuration is a modern trend of late and maybe it's just me, but I still want the walk-in closet directly accessible from the bedroom area, with a separate entrance (preferable across the room) from the MBR area to the master bath area.
I'm not a germophobe either, but wouldn't leather jackets and shoes get all moldy from the moisture?

We designed it so they are right next to each other.

The bath is slightly larger than the closet. I told my wife the closet was too small and we should scale back on the 5x5 shower and 4ft gap between shower and vanity.

Turns out the closet is too small.
Last edited by unclescrooge on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:49 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 am
Things we have and love (we didn’t design this, but it came with everything we wanted)

His and hers vanity (guess whose is bigger)

His and hers walk in closets (guess whose is bigger)

Heated, jetted tub. Again, guess who loves it more?

Heated tile floors. Heated shower floors. Really nice.

walk in double shower

Gas fireplace. Too hot for me but She loves it on winter mornings.

Enough room for sitting. Instead we put a treadmill there with a TV. I can use it except early mornings. If we had a separate gym area that would be better, but we don’t.

I finished my closet with self-installed Easy Closets. I’m very happy with how it turned out. A fraction of the price of something like California Closets, maybe double Ikea but nicer looking and has been very durable. She didn’t want to spend the money on her closet so it’s a mix of an old dresser and some cheap rubbermaid wire closets. It works though.
There was nothing easy about easy closets. The first two contractors I hired disappeared after half a day's work.
For the same price I had California closets do the other closet. If course I negotiated a discount off their stated prices.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:51 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 am
BashDash wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am
Hi all,
I used the search box to find some help and found a thread regarding features people liked/disliked about their house addition but did not find one specific to a master suite. We are putting on a master suite addition and are keeping it relatively simple but would like some suggestions from anyone. The bedroom won't have a "sitting area" and we won't want a hot tub in the bathroom but wondering other features people thought were helpful. Right now we are thinking radiant heat , a laundry chute, and his/her closets ( not walk in but sizable) Thanks in advance!!
The latest trend in master suites is to have 2 of them. It improves the sleep quality.

I second this and would strongly encourage it!
Two master suites?

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you so much for all the detailed responses. I have some good ideas that I had not thought about previously. Thanks!!

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am

I didn't read all of the responses but here is what I love about our master bedroom in order of most importance

Wider than standard shower. I think ours is 4ft wide.
Water closet.
2x walk in closets (actually it has 3 walk in closets but the third is just for storing suitcases and other large items that could be stored elsewhere)
Dual Vanity.
Heated floors.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 am

What is a water closet? I'm assuming storage in shower?

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:35 am

BashDash wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 am
What is a water closet? I'm assuming storage in shower?
Separate area for toilet with a door.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks. I am hoping this is possible. This master suite will be on small scale compared to most posters. Maybe even a "half wall" with a pocket door would be good....I don't think walk in closets will be happening due to size either

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am

gtd98765 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:01 pm
When we had a master suite constructed, the architect suggested a sloped ceiling that followed the outline of the pitched roof, rather than a standard 8' flat ceiling; he said it would make the room feel much bigger, given the floor area limitations. This was a great idea, and we have loved this the last 15 years.
This is a great suggestion. Also, consider adding one or two skylight window with motorized shades. It is amazing to enjoy night through skylight.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 am

BashDash wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 am
Thanks. I am hoping this is possible. This master suite will be on small scale compared to most posters. Maybe even a "half wall" with a pocket door would be good....I don't think walk in closets will be happening due to size either
I can’t quite envision what a half wall with a door would look like. :wink:

Anyway, think of a water closet as a narrow walk-in closet. It really only needs to be about 3 feet wide.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 am

Radiant heat, storage space that is hidden (cabinetry) for towels, toiletries, etc... make up vanity spot for wife and plugs in spots that blowdryer and curlers can reach. Place for hamper that is out of the way and hidden. Door to toilet separating it from the rest of the bathroom. The last is such a simple idea, but can't tell you how many 7 digit homes do NOT offer that on new construction.

A real luxury is his and her showers and LARGE shower area. We had it done in our shower area and is great. Hot tub is a waste as it isn't used often, but can see it being important for resale. One of those features doesn't mean much if you have it, but does if you don't. Do whatever you can to get as MUCH natural light as possible, i.e. add windows and sunlights.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm

I would put a washer and dryer inside the master walk-in closet, along with an ample table to fold things when they come out of the dryer. You could do a Murphy-style table if you didn't want it out all the time.

This would be in addition to a laundry room elsewhere in the house.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

Trism wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm
I would put a washer and dryer inside the master walk-in closet, along with an ample table to fold things when they come out of the dryer. You could do a Murphy-style table if you didn't want it out all the time.

This would be in addition to a laundry room elsewhere in the house.
Why go to the expense of two laundry rooms in one house?