best cheap printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dknightd

best cheap printer

Post by dknightd »

My old HP Photosmart 8450 appears to be dead.

Sucks because I have spare ink. Can anybody use it? free

So now I need a new printer. Must work with OSX

Any recommendations?
Thanks
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
ddurrett896

Re: best cheap printer

Post by ddurrett896 »

Do you want the best or cheapest?
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

This recent thread has a number of replies including mine.

viewtopic.php?t=264375

Cheers
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I would just buy whatever Wirecutter recommends.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... e-printer/

I've done that with business laptops, printers, home router and modem, shredder, etc. Every recommendation has been fine.

Previously, they recommended a Brother all-in-one printer, so that's what I bought four years ago. Haven't had a single problem with it.
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Very happy with my Brother black and white laser printer.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I bought a Canon printer for $350 and got a $350 Visa prepaid card plus free paper. I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

So start by looking for deals and rebates.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

YgWe are very pleased with our HP officejet pro 8715 from Costco. It faxes, scans, prints, single & double-sided. Costco also sells the ink and it airprints from my iPhone.

Shortly after we bought it for about $189, there was a coupon for an additional $25 discount, plus $20 off 2-packs of ink, so Costco refunded us $45 (we had purchased a multicolor pack & black pack of ink with printer.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

YgWe are very pleased with our HP officejet pro 8715 from Costco. It faxes, scans, prints, single & double-sided. Costco also sells the ink and it airprints from my iPhone.

Shortly after we bought it for about $189, there was a coupon for an additional $25 discount, plus $20 off 2-packs of ink, so Costco refunded us $45 (we had purchased a multicolor pack & black pack of ink with printer.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Be aware the 2522 is USB connection only, no wireless.
https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... /overview/

I made the mistake of buying a 2520 because it was cheap, and never considered it might not connect to my LAN.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I bought my wife a Samsung Xpress M2885FW for Christmas. Price at MicroCenter was about $200. B&W laser with copy and scan (FAX if anyone still uses that), pretty happy with is so far, works on WiFi better than the Brothers MFC it replaces and I can print from my iPhone (ok that's a bit geeky). If you have a MicroCenter near you, they still have the sale price.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Brother color laser.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Prudence wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 pm Very happy with my Brother black and white laser printer.
This. And get the ink from ebay, $15 for a 2-pack. You can print for a couple years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

If you can live without color printing, a cheap monochrome laser is the way to go. Actually even color laser printers are pretty inexpensive these days, but they are much bigger than monochrome lasers. The problem with inkjet printers is that they suck up ink in maintenance cycles (to keep the printheads from clogging, with the convenient side effect of generating profits for the manufacturer!). For occasional printing, you may lose as much ink to these cleaning cycles as you as you actually use in printing, and the per-page cost (and hassle of buying and replacing cartridges) ends up being way more than you expect. Laser printers don't have the same problem, supplies last longer and are (generally) cheaper on a per-page basis, and no toner is lost to cleaning cycles.
Last edited by 02nz on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

After 3 or 4 printers and ink cartridge costs and challenges, I now put print jobs on a flash drive and print at the local library or FedEx store. Much less frustrating.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

I used to look for the "best cheap printer" and usually this ended up with an inkjet that worked for a year or two, then ink prices and the frequency of my printing (which is pretty low) leading to dried out ink drove me crazy. I'd then buy another inkjet, it would last a few years.... lather rinse repeat.

Until I bought a color laser multifunction printer on a clearance sale. I don't for-see buying another printer anytime soon and every time I print the output looks great. I think I spent maybe 2x for this printer vs what I might have on an inkjet. I have 0 regrets and believe this printer will be cheaper in the long run. Skip the inkjet is my #1 tip.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Brother laser jet and haven’t looked back....

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Prudence wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 pm Very happy with my Brother black and white laser printer.
+1, if you go with color, the ink adds up over time. We do our photos through Snapfish and use a cheap B&W laser printer. My last one lasted for about 10 years but finally died. Just picked up this one and very happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764 ... UTF8&psc=1
b.lock

Post by b.lock »

Brother laser printer has been great for me. HP is also fine. At the bad end of the spectrum is Epson.

I would just stay away from ink in general and go with laser printers unless you are using the ink every week or more often. The ink dries up and then you have to buy new ink cartridges or a whole new printer.
CABob

Post by CABob »

My approach has been to visit my local Staples and see what was on sale. My last two printers have been Epson ink jets and before that a Canon. They were all satisfactory and priced right for me.
Bob
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Brother B&W laser printer <$100, our is 4-5 years old and still prints crisp pages.
The replacement toners are $38 and each set lasts a year or two.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I bought a HP Deskjet 3637 for $48 at Best Buy a couple of years ago. Rolled into Best Buy while DW was shopping at Michael's and saw a stack at the front door. My Canon was misbehaving, I grabbed one to use when the Canon died, or tried my patience once too often.

It prints, copies, and scans.

It is an even older model now, available for $39.99 at a couple of places, including Amazon.

I print so little the ink cost is pretty much irrelevant. I do scan a bit, and it works to my satisfaction, though like printing, I am not a power scanner.

I have preferred HP for a long time because HP printers play nicely with whatever device I am attempting to print from. Easy peasy, not like Canon printers I have had in the past.

For me printers have reached the toaster status, I'm not going to pay a bunch for one. The more expensive ones I have bought didn't have longer lifespans.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Brother Laser B&W all the way.
Wanna print digital pictures? Send them to Shutterfly.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I bought a Brother B/W Laser printer about a year ago at Best Buy for about $100. It is much better than the older Epson color inkjet that I had before that.
StrawMan

Post by StrawMan »

Ready3Retire wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm After 3 or 4 printers and ink cartridge costs and challenges, I now put print jobs on a flash drive and print at the local library or FedEx store. Much less frustrating.
I started doing this as well after several cheap printers failed over the years. Much cheaper, easier and less hassle. It's like .05 a printed page I think.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Brother is the only brand left worth buying in the consumer space.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

I stick with HP or Brother. My current HP Officejet Pro 8600 is still going strong after ~5 years or more. I've not had good luck with Canon, Samsung or other foreign mfrs. I'm sure their products were fine and probably manufactured at least in part in the US, so this isn't a "Buy American" diatribe. My issue for those I've tried was that I couldn't make sense of the set-up instructions. Either they were a jumble of pictures with no words, or instructions written in English after having been (poorly) translated from the original Japanese, Korean or what-have-you.

SoAnyway, I wouldn't spend more that 100 bucks for any printer these days; indeed, my next printer will likely be subject to a $50 price ceiling. Given the razor/razor blade pricing model of most printers, they're meant to be throwaway items. The trick is to price out the cost of ink for whatever models you're looking at before making a buy decision on the printer.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

+1000 for Laser Printer. Don’t get ink. To expensive.
I got my Canon LBP6030W for 5 dollars from Goodwill at amazon now $84. Works with Mojave and prints super fast (my older brother Laser always took a while to head up all its elements).

A big plus, it has a small footprint. I really like it.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

Brother laser.

We have a Brother color laser going on 5 years. Came with a set of standard yield toner. Twice the printer reported "low Cyan toner must replace now" which I was able to manually reset the counter and resume printing. Sometime in the past year I finally replaced the black toner because of random dots.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

gnujoe2001 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:47 am Brother laser.

We have a Brother color laser going on 5 years. Came with a set of standard yield toner. Twice the printer reported "low Cyan toner must replace now" which I was able to manually reset the counter and resume printing. Sometime in the past year I finally replaced the black toner because of random dots.
Be careful of the secret yellow tracking dots with color printers :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine ... ation_Code
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

Another vote for a Brother color laser. If you get one look for the instructions online to reset the cartridges to show a full level. The Brother doesn't actually measure the level of toner in the cartridge, it does it by page count. For instance if it prints one dot of cyan on a page it counts that page toward the overall cyan level.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
five2one

Post by five2one »

Brother's are generally the best consumer printers and laser jet ink is even better.

That said, other companies make decent stuff in the sub 300 range but you will decreased quality/longevity and the ink is where they'll makeup profit.
Some use refillable bottles but cheap is cheap regardless of features.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

Will do good wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 am Brother B&W laser printer <$100, our is 4-5 years old and still prints crisp pages.
The replacement toners are $38 and each set lasts a year or two.

I have a brother laser multi function printer for the last 10 years for my small business and it's a real workhorse.I usually buy the aftermarket toner on amazon for about 12.00 though.Very cheap to operate and reliable.
John88

Post by John88 »

Ready3Retire wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm After 3 or 4 printers and ink cartridge costs and challenges, I now put print jobs on a flash drive and print at the local library or FedEx store. Much less frustrating.
Same here, rarely need to print, you can skip the flash drive and just email to yourself. Also there are free smart phone scanning apps like Genius Scan and although I haven't checked them out there are digital signature Apps as well.
Trism

Post by Trism »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 pm I bought a Canon printer for $350 and got a $350 Visa prepaid card plus free paper. I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

So start by looking for deals and rebates.
A friend of mine picks up deals like these and dumps the printer when it runs out of toner or ink. He gets a new printer a couple of times a year sometimes.

Genius.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

You didn't mention whether you need scanning or not. I have an all in one by Brother (J870DW). It has outlasted just about every other ink jet printer I have owned and was less than $100. I'm sure they have a newer model now. One thing I've learned with ink jets is if you are not a regular printer is to try and print something at least once a month. Otherwise things start to dry up and I always had problems.

Laser printers can be less expensive per page, but eventually need new drums which are expensive. For my printer I have found reliable, cheap replacement cartridges on Amazon that work well. It took a while as some non-OEM cartridges are junk. OEM cartridges are very expensive. In either case, it is amazing how cheap you can get a printer for nowadays. Note that some (maybe most) printers come with starter toners or cartridges that are not full.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Any specific Brother Color Laser Printer model or color cartridge to choose? Are the personal ones ok to use infrequently but long term, or is it better to step up to the business units?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keyword ... olor+laser

Where to buy replacement cartridges? Do you print enough color to have to replace drums?

FWIW, I've killed enough inkjets too and have given up on them. Still have a couple that need to be recycled and I have to sort through my replacement supplies to dump out when I get to spring cleaning.

Hmm, wonder if Costco 2+2 Warranty would cover clogged heads...

https://www.costco.com/all-printers.html
Topic Author
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

thanks all :)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The only problem I've had with inkjets, other than the price of the ink was the ink absorbers filling up. Before her stroke DW printed almost everything she saw on the Internet, and I went through two printers that way. But the printers are cheap compared to the cost of the ink.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

Unless you absolutely need photo quality prints, I would never get another inkjet. It's one of the biggest rackets out there. I don't know why I waited so many years to go laser myself.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I have a Canon imageClass B&W laser that copies and scans as well. A great move after years of awful inkjets. The "starter" toner cartridge may have lasted a year and I'm now on my first full cartridge which I've had at least 2 years. I only ever used color on the inkjets for occasional photos. Now I just print photos at Walmart or a drugstore on the rare occasion I need to.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

We haven't had a printer at home in a decade or so. And we don't keep or want paper at home either. Everything is digital and we view it on a screen of some sort, not papyrus.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 am Any specific Brother Color Laser Printer model or color cartridge to choose? Are the personal ones ok to use infrequently but long term, or is it better to step up to the business units?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keyword ... olor+laser

Where to buy replacement cartridges? Do you print enough color to have to replace drums?

FWIW, I've killed enough inkjets too and have given up on them. Still have a couple that need to be recycled and I have to sort through my replacement supplies to dump out when I get to spring cleaning.

Hmm, wonder if Costco 2+2 Warranty would cover clogged heads...

https://www.costco.com/all-printers.html
I have a Brother HL-3140CW, but it looks like a newer comparable model might be the HL-L3270CDW.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

5th_Dimension wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pmI have a Brother HL-3140CW, but it looks like a newer comparable model might be the HL-L3270CDW.
Thanks! I don't mind paying $200 for a machine that lasts a few years, but $70/cartridge x 4 colors for toner is quite expensive. There seems to be a generic 4 color replacement for about $70 total that seems to be more reasonable. Reviews aren't so great, particularly with toner use, but there may be some workarounds.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

+1, only way to go if you don’t need color. We finally realized we didn’t need color. We bought a Brother B&W laser a few years ago now and couldn’t be happier.
Bogle7

Brother, drum

Post by Bogle7 »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 am Do you print enough color to have to replace drums?
Not me.
If I needed a new drum, I would just buy a new printer.
A Brother HL-L3230CDW is $200 at Amazon or Worst Buy.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Installed a Brother MFC-L2750DW all-in-one laser monochrome printer today from Costco ($239). Very impressed with build quality, functionality, flexibility, etc. Thanks to many Bogleheads who recommended Brother laser. Fried Canon Pixma going to e-recycler this weekend. :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Samsung monochrome laser with scanner and copier for under $200 will last forever. Go to a copy store if you ever need color prints.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

DrivingFun wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 am Unless you absolutely need photo quality prints, I would never get another inkjet. It's one of the biggest rackets out there. I don't know why I waited so many years to go laser myself.
Personally, I've been avoiding it because of space constraints. I haven't seen a laser multi-function that would fit in the space my inkjet does.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to have mostly solved the clogged jets problem.

I say unfortunately, because the solution is an automatic cleaning procedure that consumes ink. I happen to have unwisely chosen a model designed for photos, which means more expensive ink. Regardless of how little I print, it consumes a full set of cartridges worth about $70 in around a year.

Outrageously, Epson programmed it to refuse to print even in black and white if any of the color cartridges are empty.

Some time in the near future, I may re-examine my available space and replace it with a laser printer, and just get a separate scanner if that's what is necessary.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

arf30 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:13 pm Brother is the only brand left worth buying in the consumer space.
+1, that goes for small business too. I can't believe how bad HP has become.