Medical Travel Insurance Needed, for Seniors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nexesn

Medical Travel Insurance Needed, for Seniors

Post by nexesn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:40 pm

I have two family members who will be going to Mexico. One is in their 70's the other is late 80's. They are both in decent shape, but I want to ensure they have good medical travel insurance before they go. Basically, I'm looking for insurance recommendations in case they have to go get urgent care from a hospital. There seem to be so many different choices out there... but, it would be helpful to hear any first hand experiences and or recommendations.

Trip protection isn't a concern for them. We really just want to ensure that they have good medical coverage in case something happens, and that we won't get nickel and dimed for any costs if something does occur.

The 3 that I am seriously looking at are:

Travel Insured International
www.travelinsured.com

American Express Travel Insurance (not what's offered via the card, but purchasing additional coverage erase through them).

Travelex Travel Insurance
https://www.travelexinsurance.com

Thanks so much in advance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. (I did search the threads but most of what I saw was related to coverage via a credit card or evacuation assistance.)

cashmoney

Re: Medical Travel Insurance Needed, for Seniors

Post by cashmoney » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:50 pm

nexesn wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:40 pm
I have two family members who will be going to Mexico. One is in their 70's the other is late 80's. They are both in decent shape, but I want to ensure they have good medical travel insurance before they go. Basically, I'm looking for insurance recommendations in case they have to go get urgent care from a hospital. There seem to be so many different choices out there... but, it would be helpful to hear any first hand experiences and or recommendations.

Trip protection isn't a concern for them. We really just want to ensure that they have good medical coverage in case something happens, and that we won't get nickel and dimed for any costs if something does occur.

www.travelinsured.com

American Express Travel Insurance (not what's offered via the card, but purchasing additional coverage erase through them).

Thanks so much in advance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. (I did search the threads but most of what I saw was related to coverage via a credit card or evacuation assistance.)

Most medicare supplement plans include 50k of foreign travel coverage after 250 deductible per occurrence ( 80/20 up to the 50k) and most medicare advantage plans cover urgent care and emergency in foreign lands for a 90.00 co pay or less.This includes life flight .

student

Post by student » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Perhaps you can take a look at geoblue.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 pm

nexesn wrote:

www.travelinsured.com

I'd strongly suggest that you contact

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(also, for general background or to ask questions, the Travel Insurance sub-forum of www.CruiseCritic.com - most of the discussions are not specific to cruises)

We've tended to get policies through them from Travel Insured, and they've paid promptly, including a couple of large claims, with no nonsense.

Some things to consider include pre-existing conditions (which can be defined in more than one way). We get policies that do NOT exclude pre-existing conditions, so there's never a worry about whether the insurer will try to link a medical issue to some vaguely related symptom, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 pm

One thing to watch out for is that for travel insurance to wave the preexisting condition clause the travel insurance will need to be purchased within about two weeks of when they make their first payment for the trip.

There are of course a lot of details that will vary by the policy, and there may be some more expensive options if they have missed that date.

I have used the Trip Insurance Store that was mentioned in the prior post and it is easier to just call their 800 number instead of trying to do that online. I have never had to make a claim so I cannot comment on how well it has worked.

I normally don't have big expensive nonrefundable packages so I also mainly buy it for the medical coverage and evacuation.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 pm
One thing to watch out for is that for travel insurance to wave the preexisting condition clause the travel insurance will need to be purchased within about two weeks of when they make their first payment for the trip.

There are of course a lot of details that will vary by the policy, and there may be some more expensive options if they have missed that date.

I have used the Trip Insurance Store that was mentioned in the prior post and it is easier to just call their 800 number instead of trying to do that online. I have never had to make a claim so I cannot comment on how well it has worked.

I normally don't have big expensive nonrefundable packages so I also mainly buy it for the medical coverage and evacuation.
Agree (and forgot to mention) that they should CALL and *not* rely upon the online summaries. The "fine print" is too important.

Also, there is at least one policy available such that pre-existing conditions ARE included/covered, as long as the insurance is purchased no later than within 24 hours of final payment (narrowly defined).
We had to buy that one once, when we missed the regular deadline for our preferred policy. We had no claims, so can't speak from experience about that company.

RM

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I used Travelsafe. Got reimbursed for a trip, never had to use the medical coverage but it seemed ok.

One thing though, for travel in US I think none of these plans are useful. You own health insurance comes first. And both you own and the travel ins may cover customary and reasonable charges, which is not what hospitals charge you :-(

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:36 pm

beyou wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 pm
I used Travelsafe. Got reimbursed for a trip, never had to use the medical coverage but it seemed ok.

One thing though, for travel in US I think none of these plans are useful. You own health insurance comes first. And both you own and the travel ins may cover customary and reasonable charges, which is not what hospitals charge you :-(
One can get travel insurance that is "primary", in which case nothing is billed to own insurance. It's totally out of the picture.
So no deductibles or co-pays to deal with, etc.

And we've not had an issue with "reasonable and customary".

Perhaps it's because, what IS "reasonable and customary" for a hospital in <locale> or a hotel room visit by a local physician in <locale>?
We submitted the bills, and it was paid.

RM

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 am

Another vote for http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/. They're great to work with and very knowledgable. On a recent trip, Steve suggested I only insure the amount of my initial deposit and then call back when I make my final payment to insure the difference. That way you don't have the full premium paid way in advance of your trip.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:09 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 am
Another vote for http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/. They're great to work with and very knowledgable. On a recent trip, Steve suggested I only insure the amount of my initial deposit and then call back when I make my final payment to insure the difference. That way you don't have the full premium paid way in advance of your trip.
And IF you cancel the trip, you are only "out" the insurance for that low deposit.

But I can't emphasize enough how helpful they are.
Steve (the owner) is particularly knowledgeable, although his several associates are also really good. They'll pass along a question to Steve if they aren't totally sure. And Steve will query the insurance company if *he* isn't really sure, although that's rare.

We learned a LOT early on, by asking "What if THIS...?" and "What if THAT...?"

He'll have an unusual online Q&A at CruiseCritic on Jan 7th, but I think asking him/them directly is far more important if you have any specific concerns.

General browsing through the travel insurance sub-forum on CC has also been especially informative over time, for future use.

RM

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:09 am
LifeIsGood wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 am
And IF you cancel the trip, you are only "out" the insurance for that low deposit.

General browsing through the travel insurance sub-forum on CC has also been especially informative over time, for future use.

RM
Why the off topic comments? The OP is clearly NOT asking about trip insurance, but only medical coverage (and possibly evacuation as well).

To the OP - if your family members expect to do any additional travel in 2019, they might compare an annual policy to one that covers only the one trip to Mexico.

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 am
Why the off topic comments? The OP is clearly NOT asking about trip insurance, but only medical coverage (and possibly evacuation as well).

To the OP - if your family members expect to do any additional travel in 2019, they might compare an annual policy to one that covers only the one trip to Mexico.
The OP specifically mentioned travel insurance options he was evaluating. The two (med and travel cost) are bundled together. And yes, you can get extended insurance for frequent travelers that is focused mainly in the medical coverage. Same link I provided above offers both (medical focused with minimal travel cost reimbursement that covers multiple trips, and travel focused that covers a single trip, medical and travel costs). Not sure if all these sites have both, travelsafe did.

Topic Author
nexesn

Post by nexesn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I think they will either go with:

https://www.travelinsured.com/ or https://www.johnhancocktravel.com

However, I still need to try calling the tripinsurancestore.com and see what type of quote they can offer. Hopefully they won't need the medical assistance while they are away, but, at least they will be covered. I'll try and repost to this thread after their trip to give an update on how well the medical side of the insurance worked- Hopefully, I won't have anything to report :D

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 am

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ will also do just medical trip insurance.

Topic Author
nexesn

Post by nexesn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you on what I did. I ended up calling the www.tripinsurancestore.com. They don't have a great website, but are extremely helpful over the phone. Because of the ages (actually the 89 year old) there aren't a bunch of choices for places that will insure. They did find one for me, and I was happy with the price. Hopefully, they won't need to use the insurance, but at least they now have it.

Thanks so much for suggesting to call the TripInsuranceStore!

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 pm

nexesn wrote:

"Decent Shape" is a relative term when you refer to "late 80's". I am going to rain on their parade by suggesting that they do not consider going to Mexico.
I knew an older couple who travelled from Wyoming to a major coastal tourist city.The wife fell on a tile floor and fractured her hip. The local hospital refused to treat her unless they came up with tens of thousands of dollars in cash, up front before treatment.

The husband had to charter a jet life-flight from the U.S., fly her back up with the fractured hip and get it repaired in the U.S.. It cost him $30k but he was just glad to get her out of there. I don't think he had travel medical insurance, so not sure how much they would pay.

Maybe that is a "one-off" story, but it is enough to send me to Hawaii instead.