HE Washer/Dryers - What do you have..are you pleased?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thefoggycity

HE Washer/Dryers - What do you have..are you pleased?

Post by thefoggycity »

Bogleheads,

The search for an he washer/dryer combo has me weary. Do any of you have good gas model suggestions or ones you've had good luck with?

Thanks!
02nz

Re: HE Washer/Dryers - What do you have..are you pleased?

Post by 02nz »

We have a Whirlpool gas dryer which has been excellent. The Whirlpool washer that we purchased at the same time broke about a year ago, and was replaced with an LG HE (front-loading) washer, which has been excellent. We had another LG washer and dryer in a rental property, both also performed reliably. Get ready for sticker shock, prices on washing machines (and maybe dryers too) have shot way up thanks to tariffs.
husky1055

Post by husky1055 »

Right now, you can get a LG washer/dryer but branded as Kenmore at Sears for great savings. Kenmore does not manufacture their appliances but subcontracts them to OEM such as LG. To be sure, check the specs for comparison. We did. :happy
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

I've had great luck with both Amana and LG.

Question to FEL folks though. I can see the ergonomic benefits of not having to reach deep into a wash basin to get that last sock out, but to the purported 'cost savings' ever pan out? I have also used top loaders and they generally cost significantly less than their front end loader equivalents. Also less worried about leaking from bad seals.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Good luck with LG washer (front loader). 5 years old,so far so good. Kenmore dryer (electric, not gas) is about 14 years old and still going strong, knock on wood.
kacang

Post by kacang »

We have an LG frontload + Sidekick (a small capacity washer in lieu of pedestal stand). Both are electric, not gas. This combination covers all our needs very well. Regular wash aside, the frontloader is also capable of handling bulky items eg. blankets and couch covers, while the Sidekick is great for doing small loads of delicates or items that require "handwashing". No more going to the laundromat to wash the bulky stuff or running half-empty loads for non-regular washables. We're very pleased.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

We have an LG front load.

Works okay, LG ain't a bad brand. But my wife says she's going back to top loaders next time. Moisture and mold is not insurmountable, but it's a pain in the butt.

JT
chw

Post by chw »

We recently bought a LG HE front loading washer, which after local utility rebate was about half of the original cost. So far we have been very pleased with it. The new washer appears to use much less water than our previous 30 year old washer, and also is much more energy efficient.

We had an early generation Maytag HE washer about 20 years ago which we had several issues with, but decided to give the LG a shot after reading many positive reviews, and getting the nice rebate from the local utility.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Front load Maytag set of front loaders. 9500 series.

Quite happy with the capacity/performance/speed. They spin fast, so best on a solid floor or away from sleeping people/kids/pets if you wash over night.

We leave the washer door open to air dry and clean the rubber gasket down. If you do this, you won't get the moldy smell. Just a fact of life.

Washer and dryer cycles we use are a couple minutes apart. I like this. When the dryer is done, the washer load is ready to dry. Old top loader washed in 20 minutes. Dried in 60 minutes or more. Now both about 38-40 minutes.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

2 yrs. old - small Bosch stack front load. Washer plugs into the dryer which is 220 v.. Dryer is condenser type so no vent. I live alone so small size is what I wanted. Only problem has been the touch screen controls some of which are really fickle. Sometimes (especially dryer) beeps at me requiring several tries to start. Other than that works great.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

We have Electrolux front loaders and I love them. It is the only brand that I found where the doors could be reversed (my washer had to be on the right of the dryer). I am vertically challenged and could not reach the bottom of a top loader that would accommodate king sized linens. Both are electric as we're on propane.

You can prevent the mold/moisture 'problem' by leaving the washer door ajar after running a load. Close it a couple of hours later after the moisture has evaporated.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

House purchased new came with GE washer and dryer. Top-loading washer not-HE.
The washer broke last year and was replaced with HE Whirlpool. The HE part of it takes getting used to along with the fact that you cannot pre-soak.
I was used to turning on the washer and having the water start flowing and being able to do whatever.
Now the safety mechanisms means the water won't start flowing unless the lid is down.
Overall, not impressed with HE.
The dryer is limping along. Only the timed dry works and only if I set it on the maxium 80 minutes.
A sensor is probably broken.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Our house came with a newish GE washer and dryer. Top loading "clean speak" HE washer. I have no control over the water level and the damn machine won't run unless the top is locked. I could add a cable for it to "talk" to the dryer, but I won't.

I don't think it adds enough water to clean well. If this is what all HE washers are like, I will never buy another one. I miss my old Kenmore.

The washer recently broke, I was very happy. Hubby fixed it. He's not allowed to do that the next time.
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

We have a High Efficieny top loader.

I will never buy another one agains.

It uses too little water and doesn’t have an agitator to effectively wash the clothes.
Last edited by jumppilot on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

thefoggycity wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm Bogleheads,

The search for an he washer/dryer combo has me weary. Do any of you have good gas model suggestions or ones you've had good luck with?

Thanks!
If you want to avoid the smell and mold issues, be sure to wipe down the rubber seal, detergent tray and door plus leave the door open after use. Do this, and you’ll have a good time with the front load, don’t do this... well you will have a not so good time.

I have both kinds for what’s it’s worth... I prefer my el cheap-o top load set due to its speed and lack of mold issues. Front load I got due to space limitations, aside from the inconvenient cleaning procedure after use, it’s ok (similar reliability and cleaning ability from my experience).

On the dryer this one is easier: get gas... dries way quicker and cheaper to operate. Make sure you clean out lint regularly (in the ducting!), they run hotter and are more likely to cause house fires for this reason.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I have the Whirlpool Duets and love them. Front loading HEs.
As I recall, but don't remember the specifics, a bunch of these names are really the same company--Kenmore, Maytag, Whirlpool, etc. Again I don't remember the specifics.
SpeedQueen is revered for the old-type of top loaders that are real workhorses.
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

Limoncello402 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:25 am I have the Whirlpool Duets and love them. Front loading HEs.
As I recall, but don't remember the specifics, a bunch of these names are really the same company--Kenmore, Maytag, Whirlpool, etc. Again I don't remember the specifics.
SpeedQueen is revered for the old-type of top loaders that are real workhorses.
SpeedQueen changed their design for 2018 to completely redesign the agitator, to negative reviews. It now looks like every other mass-produced HE top loader ie: the ones that don’t work.

Maytag is getting into the “commercial for home use” space so we shall see what happens.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We just had to replace our Kenmore gas dryer. Looking around and scouring Consumer Reports and other sites, we went with a LG model DLG7201WE gas dryer. So far we are very pleased with it. It drys better, its quiet and easy to use. Plus it seems to be made well. We will most likely purchase the matching washer in a few months.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport front loader that I bought several years ago. It works well. Didn’t initially run the cleaning cycle on it and ended up having to replace the door gasket due to mold. Now do the monthly cleaning cycle and no problems since then.

If you’re concerned about low-water usage like one of the other posters you should consider using one of the modes other than the normal mode on the washer. They typically use more water and may work better for your particular load.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It's paid for itself a few times over in saved water and detergents. My Bosch HE washer breaks down every couple years, but I'm able to DIY repairs myself. (Now 11 years old, still going.) I have a traditional dryer, it's fine.

Some good reviews are here of all types:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmAqg ... 2bg/videos
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

We LG top loader and dryer, which has been good but probably front loader cleans better.

Orginally we had an early model Sears/Whirlpool HE front loader, small, but really great.
The washer started leaking which was a flaw in that model.
At the time the LG was on black Friday sale $500 and we got $350 energy rebate. So $150 for a approx. $750 washer.
Later we got the LG dryer as the Sears model was really small.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We have an LG HE washer /dryer pair. Had it a bit over 5 years, no problems yet.

They get used probably 6 days a week.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Ours is an HE Maytag top loader for the past 3 years. No trouble at all. As others have noted, it can't be opened once a cycle starts, it has no agitator and appears to use almost no water but clothes always come out clean and fresh using cold water and Tide. No complaints. The gas dryer is a 20 year old Kenmore that just keeps working.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Ask yourself if you would buy a car that required you to keep the door open when it wasn't in use to keep it from smelling moldy (and then consider it an upgrade).

After some experimentation we finally got our front loader to clean as well as the top loader it replaced. I don't know why we thought tumbling clothes through a tablespoon of water was going to be effective.

Our experience:

In the top loader we just set it to a regular cycle and the clothes got clean in about 40 minutes.

To get the same level of clean in our front loader, we now:

- ETA: Cut load size by 25%;
- Add a steam cycle to the beginning;
- Set the pre-soak time to 1 hour;
- Set the soil level to Extra Heavy;
- Set the water temperature one setting warmer (warm instead of cold, hot instead of warm);
- Add an extra rinse.

One load now takes almost 3.5 hours, but at least the clothes get clean. I work from home and my spouse has an office job, so we don't exactly have complicated laundry needs.

Note: our experience is with a 3-year-old Whirlpool, but my parents have had the same issues transitioning to their first front loader ( an LG, which is only slightly older).

Next time around we'll go back to a top loader.
Last edited by Trism on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can't speak to gas dryers, but I'd like to share my experience with an LG HE front-load washer. When I first got it, I loved it. Clothes came out clean. Water bill went down. But after a while it began to stink, literally, and I grew to hate it. In addition, mold on the door seal became a real issue. But now, after more time and much experimentation, I've grown to love it again. The key to the odor issue is powder detergent. I put about a tablespoon of Oxiclean in each wash along with the normal amount of liquid HE detergent, and I have no more odor issues at all. As others have said, the key to the mold issue is to dry the door seal after every use or series of uses.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

That could be the reason I've never had that stink that others talk about. I always use powder detergent (Tide Original) and I don't even wipe the door, just let it stand open a bit for a day.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

We have a High Efficieny top loader.

Unfortunately, we went thru two of them to get to the point of throwing up our hands. We could live with the mold smell by running a load of vinegar/bleach once a month. But the 'wash disk' was a PIA. Besides stealing socks and other small garments underneath, the wash disk seal went bad in and had to be replaced about every 5 years. The part alone was $270.

Went back to the highest top-rated regular top-loader with real water and will never go back. Sure, it may use more water, but then it costs a whole lot less up front and clothes are cleaner.

btw: a dryer is a dryer, just check out the Energy Star label. We have natural gas, so its pretty cheap to run.
hand

Post by hand »

Speed Queen front load washer & (electric) dryer with the electric panel for the last 3 years (~1,000 cycles) .

Upfront cost is high, but noticeably higher build quality than any other laundry pair I've ever encountered, and no reason to believe they won't achieve the 10,000 cycles as advertised (and be easy to service afterwards).

Clothes are well cleaned, and no mold issues.

Economically, probably only makes sense for long term / heavier users, but I would happily pay the premium again for the confidence that I won't have to worry about my washer/dryer for the foreseeable future.
five2one

Post by five2one »

Go old school and skip the fancy electronics.

Speed queen is commonly referenced but my old fashioned washer/dryer combo are great.
Are they the most efficient? Measured in water? No....Measured in time? Yes.
Topic Author
thefoggycity

Post by thefoggycity »

Thank you for the replies, everyone!
sliverstorm

Post by sliverstorm »

Have an LG front loader. Never really had mold problems, but we keep the door open so it dries out after every load. It's also a semi-arid climate here. Occasionally run a tub clean with bleach.

We had some trouble figuring out what cycle to use for certain loads to ensure enough water. Any highly absorbent loads needs "towels", non-absorbent loads like polyester blankets need "Bulky", etc. But once you get that settled it's been fine.

I like that front loaders are good for washing all kinds of things you'd never put in a classic top loader. Down jackets, sleeping bags, rope, packs...
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

jumppilot wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:20 am We have a High Efficieny top loader.

It uses too little water and doesn’t have an agitator to effectively wash the clothes.
Not sure why saving water is a perceived negative. I love my high efficiency LG front load. It saves water and washes much better than the old agitator models. A major advantage is clothes and other items last much longer (indefinitely) because they are not slammed into or pulled by an agitator continuously during wash. I use Persil or Arm&Hammer scentless detergent.

I never have any mold problems that some folks complain about. I do take my finger along the door seal and remove any small accumulation of lint. After removing clean wash, I let the door stay full open for a few minutes, then keep it in the slightly ajar position until next laundry day. Magnets hold the door almost closed, but allow air to flow through the doorway. Once in a while I run the clean cycle.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

I've had a Kenmore (LG) front loader washer & dryer combo for about 8 years. They work great if you use the settings properly and don't overfill the detergent. I had no mold problems just keeping the door open between washes as a bachelor - unfortunately my wife wasn't so vigilant and would also leave loads in after washing for too long, so we now have a moldy gasket that can't be cleaned no matter what. The good news is that replacing the molded gasket is fairly cheap - it's about a $40-60 part and can be done DIY - mine is on order now.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

bottlecap wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:51 pm We have an LG front load.

Works okay, LG ain't a bad brand. But my wife says she's going back to top loaders next time. Moisture and mold is not insurmountable, but it's a pain in the butt.

JT
We are in the market for a new washer and have heard of the moisture/mold problem from daughter and others re front load washers. Our current thinking is a HE top loader.