Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Trism
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by Trism » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 pm
Trism wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:37 am
Whatever your preference in terms of form factor, note that headphone jacks are disappearing from mobile devices. My new iPad Pro 3rd generation doesn't have one, nor do many of the newest iPhones.

You can buy adapters for wired headsets that plug into the power port, but the first two I bought on Ebay don't work.

My next headset will be wireless, even though I don't mind the wire and don't otherwise ascribe value to the wireless feature (I only use mine while sitting motionless for hours on an airplane).
Apple's lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter is $9: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX6 ... -MMX62AM/A

If you do not ascribe value to the wireless feature, do not pay $300 for high end wireless ANC headphones.
Thanks for the link. Apple is usually the last place I check for cords and adapters, but for $9... count me in. :)

I am content with the $35 wired set I have, but I'm taking my spouse's QC30s (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/hea ... qc30_black) on a trip next week to try them out. We'll see if they change my life, or are at the very least if they are 8.6 times better.

chuckb84
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by chuckb84 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:30 pm

snailderby wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 am
MRMN wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm
Plugfones!!!!

Basically earplugs that play music. Best noise cancelling I’ve ever had, and by far the best price, as well as small and convenient.
+1

I used to have a pair of in-ear passive noise-isolating earbuds. They worked well on an international flight. A good pair of in-ear noise-isolating earbuds can provide over 30db of noise reduction with great sound quality and no need for batteries. You can pick up a good-quality pair like the Etymotic MK5s for less than $100. Another advantage of passive noise isolation is that it mutes everything. Active noise cancelling works well for constant background noise (like engine noise in an airplane) but not so well for other types of sounds (like crying babies). One drawback is some people don't like how far you have to insert them into your ear canal though. YMMV.
+2

Agree with all of that! I use, and love, the Etymotic 4P. Expensive, and darn well worth it!

3feetpete
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by 3feetpete » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:09 pm

I use Monster noise cancelling headphones that I bought for a little over a $100. They work well and are comfortable.

bluebolt
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:09 pm

I have the Bose QuietComfort 20 in ear noise canceling headphones. I am a big fan and they have made air & rail travel much more pleasant. I do find that they mute conversation enough that it is easy to ignore. They are tiny and take up almost no space in my bag, so that is a huge plus for me.

westie
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 am

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by westie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm

I have the Bose QC35 Series 2 headphones, they're great, but $300. This is what I'd suggest for a whole lot less money.

https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headp ... B019U00D7K

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm

westie wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm
I have the Bose QC35 Series 2 headphones, they're great, but $300. This is what I'd suggest for a whole lot less money.

https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headp ... B019U00D7K
Someone above wrote that the wired over-the-ear Bose are available for ~$100 on sale.
At that price, I'd grab 'em.

Anyone who can suggest where to find them at that price, or where there tends to be such a sale that others could watch for?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by chickadee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 am

Would in ear active earphones work to block a partner’s snoring sound?

Would need to be comfy for 8 hours, so I think over ear models are ruled out.

Earplugs do work, but insides of ears start to hurt after awhile.

Momus
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by Momus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:10 am

Sony 1000xm3 BY FAR the best noise canceling headphone right now. Don't drop any money for bose qc if you are serious about noise canceling. EVERY review out there rated Sony xm3 to be better in noise canceling AND sound. Don't waste your money on bose qc35. They are comfortable but they suck on noise canceling and sound.

autolycus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by autolycus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am

chuckb84 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:30 pm
snailderby wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 am
MRMN wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm
Plugfones!!!!

Basically earplugs that play music. Best noise cancelling I’ve ever had, and by far the best price, as well as small and convenient.
+1

I used to have a pair of in-ear passive noise-isolating earbuds. They worked well on an international flight. A good pair of in-ear noise-isolating earbuds can provide over 30db of noise reduction with great sound quality and no need for batteries. You can pick up a good-quality pair like the Etymotic MK5s for less than $100. Another advantage of passive noise isolation is that it mutes everything. Active noise cancelling works well for constant background noise (like engine noise in an airplane) but not so well for other types of sounds (like crying babies). One drawback is some people don't like how far you have to insert them into your ear canal though. YMMV.
+2

Agree with all of that! I use, and love, the Etymotic 4P. Expensive, and darn well worth it!
I enjoyed my etymotic IEMs so much that I eventually sprung for some moderately-high end custom fit IEMs like what you see a lot of musicians wearing. By most normal people standards they're probably very high-end, but relative to the specific market they're not. They are near-perfect, IMO. The sound is audiophile grade. They are incredibly comfortable to wear for hours at a time because they are shaped exactly to fit my own ear canals. The outside is flat so I can comfortably put my head on a pillow and sleep with them in. And most importantly, they block out a TON of noise. More than the ANC's, for sure. The only downside (to some it's a plus) is that I cannot hear people talking AT ALL with them in, so I do have to pull one out to have a conversation with someone.

User avatar
WWJBDo
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by WWJBDo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 am

I tried it as a lark, but I have become a convert to 'Double Bose', using both the wired in ear Bose noise canceling earbuds, surrounded by wireless Bose earphones. I leave the headphones unconnected to bluetooth so they are noise canceling only, and I use the noise canceling on the earbuds.

If you find that using headphones alone reduces fatigue, let me tell you that the combined noise canceling is a whole 'nuther level of quiet. It's astounding! The wires from the earbuds going through the earmuffs can get irritating, but on long flights, I use both as a default. The headphones turn off after 30 minutes or so and I switch them off and on again to restart a 30 minute cycle.

If you want extreme noise canceling, nothing can beat a 'Double Bose'.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by RRJeff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am

bluebolt wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:09 pm
I have the Bose QuietComfort 20 in ear noise canceling headphones. I am a big fan and they have made air & rail travel much more pleasant. I do find that they mute conversation enough that it is easy to ignore. They are tiny and take up almost no space in my bag, so that is a huge plus for me.
+1 on the QC20. I bought some a few years ago when I started a new job that required more overseas travel. I wear glasses and was concerned about fit and noise leakage of the over the ear version, so I went with the in-ears. I’ve been very happy with the QC 20s on several flights to Asia. Bag space is at a premium when I travel. I use them to protect my ears when mowing the lawn also, and they work great for that. One of the best product investments I have made.

02nz
Posts: 2485
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by 02nz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm
westie wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm
I have the Bose QC35 Series 2 headphones, they're great, but $300. This is what I'd suggest for a whole lot less money.

https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headp ... B019U00D7K
Someone above wrote that the wired over-the-ear Bose are available for ~$100 on sale.
At that price, I'd grab 'em.

Anyone who can suggest where to find them at that price, or where there tends to be such a sale that others could watch for?

RM
Not on sale right now for $100, but Slickdeals.net is a good place to find these kinds of deals. You can set up a keyword alert so that you get notified when there's a deal. With the best deals you have to jump pretty quickly.

UALflyer
Posts: 489
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Noise cancelling headphones for plane trips, advice?

Post by UALflyer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Momus wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:10 am
Sony 1000xm3 BY FAR the best noise canceling headphone right now. Don't drop any money for bose qc if you are serious about noise canceling. EVERY review out there rated Sony xm3 to be better in noise canceling AND sound. Don't waste your money on bose qc35. They are comfortable but they suck on noise canceling and sound.
Have you ever used either one on an airplane? The answer is probably "no," as your post contains such a significant exaggeration of the differences between the two.

If you are looking specifically for high end wireless ANC headphones, you are undeterred by their built in batteries or by their price tag, and the deal on both the Sony 1000xm3 vs. the Bose QC35II happens to be about the same, then I agree that the former represent a slightly better value. If one happens to be significantly cheaper than the other, I'd go for the cheaper one.

I did laugh when I read your statement that the QC35II "suck on noise canceling." According to rtings, the Bose 35II provide 27.08db of noise attenuation, while the Sony 1000xm3 provide 29.9db of noise attenuation. At that level of noise attenuation, the difference in noise level is very, very slight and is imperceptible if you are using them with a sound source.

Personally, as I pointed out above, for most people out there it is completely unnecessary to spend money on either one, as a decent pair of ANC headphones can be purchased for about $35 or so, and an excellent (excellent from the standpoint of noise attenuation) pair of ANC headphones can be purchased for $100-$120.

For those who don't know, ANC headphones are purpose built headphones. If you are buying ANC headphones expecting audiophile level sound quality, you are going to be extremely disappointed, as even the absolute best sounding ANC headphones will frequently sound worse than a much cheaper set of non ANC ones. The ANC and non-ANC headphones are not really designed to be interchangeable, so do not spend more than necessary on ANC headphones thinking that you'll also get a great sounding pair of headphones for everyday use.

Post Reply