Snow Plowing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KJVanguard

Snow Plowing

Post by KJVanguard »

Assuming you live in a northern climate, do you pay somebody to do your snow removal or do you do it yourself?

I am curious how the numbers will come out. Bogleheads are a thrifty group who might well think it too expensive to hire out such work. Of course many Bogleheads have a fair amount of money and their is no need for millionaires to remove their own snow.

Snow removal (and all other outdoor stuff) is offensive enough that some people live in condos to avoid it.
livesoft

Re: Snow Plowing

Post by livesoft »

My HOA takes care of it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've got a Curtis snow plow for the Wrangler and use my 4 wheel drive Kubota tractor bucket to move snow when it's getting too deep. My driveway is about 800 feet long plus a turn around and a circle at the house. I priced out someone else doing the job years ago and at $300 a storm, decided I'll do it myself.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Much of that will depend on length of driveway and market conditions. Most plowers in my area charge per visit. A friend who owns a landscape company operates a fleet of tractors with forward facing industrial scale snow blowers on the rear 3 point hitch. He can clear a driveway much faster than a snowplow, can direct the snow wherever it’s needed (snow pile management is a major hassle for snow plows). He serves dense neighborhoods, charges a low set fee for the season and seems to be doing quite well.

I live in a condo but expect to move to a house shortly. There, I intend to purchase a high end walk-behind snowblower and do it myself. My rule of thumb for snowblowers is that it cannot take more time than if I shoveled. Far too many retail snowblowers have to move at a snail’s pace for any real accumulation.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I used to have a snowblower to do the driveway and sidewalk and actually enjoyed playing in the snow. But we downsized and now the condo association takes care of it. When in the sfh, I just couldn't justify the cost of paying someone. Now older and retired, I happily let them do it!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Until we came to TX from MI a few months ago I did it all myself... snow blowing, lawn cutine, basic landscaping.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

I have "my people" handle it these days. $600 per season: plow the driveway, shovel the walk, sand and salt as needed. NH's White Mountains. Another five inches for them to handle this morning!
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I clear my house and an older neighbor's with a 45 year old beast of a snowblower. It's two long driveways, walks, patio, and decks and can take about two hours. It's quite a workout and not for the weak.

Other neighbors assume I'm a service and try to hire me, but I turn them down. I only want to spend so much time in the cold. Apparently it's difficult to find a reliable residential service that doesn't have a waiting list here. I can definitely see the appeal of paying someone to do this. I know young people that even hire this work out.

My neighbor sends restaurant gift certificates and cases of beer my way for the work, so it's a win win. The boglehead way may be to find a willing neighbor with fancy equipment if you don't want to do the work yourself.
Breakaway72

Post by Breakaway72 »

I have a 32 inch 12 hp two stage John Deere walk behind snowblower. I do my 300 foot driveway myself.
In late fall I ask my neighbors if they mind if I clear their driveways. Happy to say they have all given me permission to clear their drives!! At age 68 I suspect it is too late to outgrow this.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I have a Toro snowblower and do my driveway, a backyard path for the dog and a 2 yard path for the mail carrier.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Lots of heart attacks and slips from shoveling. It's really a job for high school kids if you can find some willing to do it.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

I snowblow our driveway and sidewalk. As I get older, I think more of paying someone to do it... or this just adds another reason to leave IL and move somewhere warmer 8-)
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Got an electric snow plow last year and a 100’ heavy duty electrical cord. Definitely made it easier. Not as powerful as the gas powered motors, but does the job for me. Low maitenance. We have a 70’ driveway.
Last edited by StormShadow on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I use a small plow mounted on my Honda ATV.

I also do many of my neighbors' drives.

We don't get much snow so I actually look forward to playing around 2-3 times each winter.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

We live in Syracuse, NY, with 120" average of the white stuff each season.

We have always hired someone to plow our driveway. He comes whenever the snow is over 4 inches. Depending on the snowfall each year, the year's bill can vary from $300-600.

This year we researched and considered (again) the cost savings if we bought our own snowblower and did it ourselves, but we decided that since we will be doing some travel during the snowiest times of the year and want our house to look occupied (even if it is well-alarmed), we would continue hiring the plow. Extravagance? Sure. One we choose.

People from warmer climates are sometimes gobsmacked that we have to hire someone to plow, and it seems to them a huge, horrible expense. But then, I find myself turned-off by air conditioning for nine months a year, outdoor thermometer readings in the three digits, and not being able to work in the garden on a sunny July afternoon.

There's always some price to pay. So, live in the climate you love . . . 8-)

(Cold never bothered me anyway).
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

fairly long driveway, I have it plowed...usually just needs it 2-3 times a year. SUVs come in handy
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Length of driveway, age and physical condition of Boglehead forum member, average snowfall, equipment available, ... Pretty hard to gain any valid insight from a question like this.

Snowblower and shovels for cleanup.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I shoveled about 3 inches of fresh powder yesterday in 7 degree 17% humidity weather - exhilarating. Looks like we have another 2 inches overnight, I can use the leaf blower to touch up the driveway when it warms up (outside WeatherBug says it is -1 F right now). I have a 26in electric start blower when it gets beyond 4-5 inches. Usually I keep the blower in the garage ready to go if a storm is coming with significant snowfall.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I am on the list of a landscaper to plow my driveway automatically. If it is light snow (such as 3" or less), I will shovel it myself. Otherwise I let the plow do it. The last time I shoveled it myself with about 6" of snow, my back was so sore afterwards that I could barely move (we have a fairly large driveway).

This is one of the things in life that is worth paying for instead of doing it yourself.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

John Deere
Bucket or box blade/gannon.
something like this: :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Bumble

Post by Bumble »

I pay someone to plow for a few reasons.

1. I work a minimum of 55 hours a week.

2. Running a business out of my home I am able to deduct the business portion of the bill because clients need to utilize the driveway.

3. I cannot realistically pop outside to shovel/lay salt when the weather turns. I have an approximate 1 hour window of time during the day to realistically do snow/ice control during business hours. Sometimes that window slams shut.

4. I'm lazy.

I do shovel the walk way and my elderly neighbors walk way. But the driveway I pay a company to plow as needed.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

KJVanguard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 am Assuming you live in a northern climate, do you pay somebody to do your snow removal or do you do it yourself?

I am curious how the numbers will come out. Bogleheads are a thrifty group who might well think it too expensive to hire out such work. Of course many Bogleheads have a fair amount of money and their is no need for millionaires to remove their own snow.

Snow removal (and all other outdoor stuff) is offensive enough that some people live in condos to avoid it.
It's also dangerous. In the sense of heart attacks & accidents.

My father split ownership of a snow blower with the neighbour next door, once they no longer had resident male workforces (aka teenagers and 20 somethings) to rely upon ;-).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

47. I do it myself.

10hp 24” MTD snowblower. 20 years old.

Dakota Sno Blade for 0-2” snows.

Flat shovel. Grain scoop shovel. Ice scraper and chopper blade.

I used to tolerate it. Now I tolerate it.

About 8 hours in the past week or so. -20 this morning.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
fposte

Post by fposte »

I've got a very bad back and a very good guy who does my mowing in summer and snow-clearing in winter. I never regret the expense.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Rural California at 3500 feet elevation, 500 yard driveway. Have a Polaris ATV with a snow plow, and compact tractor with a bucket loader if the snow banks get too high (it has happened). Hand clear around the house/barn.

We also have a four wheel drive truck with studded snow tires if I can't completely clear the "Sierra Cement".

Not much snow this year, snow line has been above 4000 feet. Usually it is lower.

Would prefer to pay someone, but we've had problems with reliability and it is something that needs to get done on a timely manner.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Before we moved to our new house, I was going to get a tractor and do our own plowing and mowing. Hmmmm.

Long driveway (0.2 miles), with an area that you can’t dispose of snow and have to use snowblower. So, plan B is that we have someone take care of it if there is significant snowfall and the weather report makes it unlikely to melt soon. If it’s less snow, I can use our own snowblower for the area between the garage and house. SUVs do fine regardless, unless it turns to ice on the hill.

I also like keeping local business going. Our guy is there when you need him, no excuses.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Topic Author
KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 am Lots of heart attacks and slips from shoveling. It's really a job for high school kids if you can find some willing to do it.
I did it as a high school kid. It's not a job for a middle-aged man who can afford somebody else to do it.
Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee »

Snowblower. Cleared today's 1" with a push shovel for exercise.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Escaping having to clear a long steep driveway in Pennsylvania snows was one of the reasons I retired to Florida. Now my white stuff is sand. 8-)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Ged

Post by Ged »

Rus In Urbe wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:21 am We live in Syracuse, NY, with 120" average of the white stuff each season.

We have always hired someone to plow our driveway. He comes whenever the snow is over 4 inches. Depending on the snowfall each year, the year's bill can vary from $300-600.

This year we researched and considered (again) the cost savings if we bought our own snowblower and did it ourselves, but we decided that since we will be doing some travel during the snowiest times of the year and want our house to look occupied (even if it is well-alarmed), we would continue hiring the plow. Extravagance? Sure. One we choose.
I used to live in a suburb of Syracuse, on a west facing hill. Only the Maker knows how much snow we got. I tried with a lawn tractor mount snowblower for a few years and it worked ok except when it got to the end of the driveway. Then it was a struggle. After a couple of years of that we found a good plowing service provided by one of the neighbors who was also a dairy farmer.

Then there was the issue of finding the mailbox after the county plows went by - but that is a different story.
edge

Post by edge »

For the property I own in northern/snowy climates I contract it out. The kind of snow it gets would require multiple passes with a snow blower in a single snow fall and the property gets 120+ inches of snow in the winter.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have a huge driveway but here in the PNW it rarely snows enough to cause any issues. Last Christmas we got a touch under a foot of snow so we hand shoveled a path for the cars. That was all we got last year. This year I haven't seen a single flake near our home but there's plenty up in the Cascades. :)

I seriously miss snow. Can't wait until we can move back to a snowy area!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Ged wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm
I used to live in a suburb of Syracuse, on a west facing hill. Only the Maker knows how much snow we got. I tried with a lawn tractor mount snowblower for a few years and it worked ok except when it got to the end of the driveway. Then it was a struggle. After a couple of years of that we found a good plowing service provided by one of the neighbors who was also a dairy farmer.

Then there was the issue of finding the mailbox after the county plows went by - but that is a different story.
Your a wimp. Just send the kids out and don't let them back in til they have cleared the drive way. That was my dad's snow removal technique:) Realistically this all comes down to drive way size. It is one thing to take care of a 30' driveway (i.e. 2 car lengths). You can do that in couple hours. Get some 300'er and you might not clear before the next storm comes through.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

KJVanguard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:09 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 am Lots of heart attacks and slips from shoveling. It's really a job for high school kids if you can find some willing to do it.
I did it as a high school kid. It's not a job for a middle-aged man who can afford somebody else to do it.
I have a reliable yard service guy who comes to snowblow the drive, sidewalk, and walkway to front door at 3" or more. Then he comes back, if needed, after the city has plowed a lot into my lower driveway. Used to shovel by hand (30' of drive, 80' sidewalk) except that I'd hire a kid when it was really deep (he had his family snowblower). My "guy" has been doing it for about 4 years now. I'm 82. But always careful to take it slow, and rest up. But to answer the OP, it all depends.
Ged

Post by Ged »

randomguy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:51 pm
Ged wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Your a wimp. Just send the kids out and don't let them back in til they have cleared the drive way. That was my dad's snow removal technique:) Realistically this all comes down to drive way size. It is one thing to take care of a 30' driveway (i.e. 2 car lengths). You can do that in couple hours. Get some 300'er and you might not clear before the next storm comes through.
My children were infants or preschoolers during this period of my life. Your suggestion is not appreciated.
barreg

Post by barreg »

We've got about a 1/2 acre of grass and a 400' hilly driveway, so we have a lawn tractor that does double duty as a lawn mower in the summer and a snow thrower in the winter.

We used a plowing service our first winter in the house, but it was a pain as they usually wouldn't come until a storm was close to winding down, so you were never really sure when you'd be able to get out. Like the lawn tractor/snow thrower attachment combo much better, as it's way faster than a walk-behind snow thrower.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

45 dollars a plow
Just a dirt/rock driveway.
Works for me.
No sidewalk.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

I retired this year, and so have the time to shovel it myself.

A quick searched turned up the figure that about a hundred people die in the US each year from a cardiac event brought on by shoveling show. That doesn't seem very many to me. I've read that there were 16,000 homicides last year.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

KJVanguard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 am Assuming you live in a northern climate, do you pay somebody to do your snow removal or do you do it yourself?

Do it myself. Snow plowers here charge too much.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I do it myself. It's cheaper, and I don't have to wait for the snow crew to
show up. I treat myself to hot cocoa when I come in.
driveway + sidewalk takes 30-40 minutes from start to finish.

I have a 2 stage and a single stage, both electric start.

I got the 2 stage so that I could handle the heaviest snows, but it takes
a lot of muscle to use it. My wife will not use it at all.

The single stage is a dream for fluffy snow up to about 8 inches.
Luckily, that does not happen very often. My wife uses it
when I'm away on business.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I've answered this question before, in a thread on this same forum.

I paid for plowing for thirty years while I was working, then bought a Toro snowblower when I retired at 60. I am 70 now, and clearing our driveway every time it snows is getting a bit old - like me. However, our retirement savings are doing well (or they were until recently) and I am torn between buying a new Honda snowblower ($$) and telling my wife I am ready to sell our house and put the proceeds into a nice condo. Unfortunately, I really only have a say over the first option; I don't have enough votes to sway the outcome on the second option.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I shovel, but we have a relatively small amount to clear since it is a city lot and we have an alley.

It's free exercise.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

We have 1700 sq. ft. of driveway, walkway, and patio - I know cuz we sealed it in the late fall and I had to measure to order enough sealant. We also have a few hundred sq. ft. of decking (never measured it).

I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a shovel. I usually do it all by myself, but if there is more than just 3-4 inches, DH will come out and help me.

I like shoveling. It gets me outdoors in the fresh air and it helps me keep my girlish figure!! :D
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

jfn111 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 am I have a Toro snowblower and do my driveway...
Same setup here.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
A440

Post by A440 »

I have my kids shovel the driveway :D
If it's really deep, I'll help out.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

On my 13th year with a Craftsman 26" snowblower. Used it for three-car garage driveways plus sidewalks and sometimes neighbors' driveways in northern MI, SD, and northern Michigan. If the wind isn't blowing too much, I enjoy it.

:beer
-PoF
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

I bought a snow blower when we moved to a snowy climate. I use it when we have more than an inch or two of snow. My driveway is maybe 80 ft long, but I've never considered hiring a plow for it. The blower is great when the snow is wet and heavy, but overkill for snow this time of year, which is often powdery dry and can be moved with a broom around here.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Here the demand is so high that companies will only plow your driveway if they can also mow & fertilize your lawn. Gives them year around business.

I have had a 2 stage snow blower for 7 years, it generally works fine. The trick is to not wait till the snow is done falling if its a big snowfall. I try to snow blow every 2-3 inches. I don't mind waking up an hour early to get the driveway clear.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I shoveled my Minnesota drive for many years but at age 72 have now hired someone to do it. The only downside is that with no more mowing or shoveling I seem to have trouble keeping my weight under control.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

We wait for it to melt.