Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Limoncello402
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by Limoncello402 »

I'm hoping Bogleheads can help me out here since this is such a knowledge filled group. Ok, as you see from my owning a 5c, I am not up at all on the latest cell phone technology. The 5c, bought 3 years ago, serves me just fine. I almost never use the data and make relatively few calls and texts.
The ONLY issue is that at times--not all times--someone calls me or texts me and the phone doesn't ring or the text alert come on at the time the call/text is made. HOURS later--say 5-6 hours later--I'll get the alert. I can be sitting with the phone in hand (and yes, it is on), someone calls or texts, and no ring or text alert comes in at all. Yet in many other cases someone calls or texts and the phone DOES ring/alert immediately and works just fine.

Otherwise, the phone works perfectly, so being frugal and not using it much I am NOT inclined (yet) to buy a more updated model.
ANY advice about this annoying problem would be most helpful!! Thanks!
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1791
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by LiveSimple »

Please check the silent mode.

I my iPhone and there is a side switch to make the phone silent. If orange color shows the phone is silent.

Took me months to understand the silent mode. I was like you as well.
User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 9450
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Another possibility might be that the phone is in "do not disturb" mode. Check "Settings" / "Do Not Disturb".
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
bob60014
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by bob60014 »

We had the same issues with our Samsung phones on Tmobile. We would have calls not ring and go straight to voice mail. We ensured all the notification settings were on and correct but after tweaking the phones, further investigation showed we had a low signal in and around our home. Even though the phones showed a signal of varying strength most calls would not go through. A call to Tmobile support was all that was needed. They supplied us with a LTE Cellbooster and now we have full bars and happily no more lost calls!
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1791
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by LiveSimple »

bob60014 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 am We had the same issues with our Samsung phones on Tmobile. We would have calls not ring and go straight to voice mail. We ensured all the notification settings were on and correct but after tweaking the phones, further investigation showed we had a low signal in and around our home. Even though the phones showed a signal of varying strength most calls would not go through. A call to Tmobile support was all that was needed. They supplied us with a LTE Cellbooster and now we have full bars and happily no more lost calls!
Good info, will call T Mobile, we have the same issue with our calls, in our home.
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10765
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by ResearchMed »

Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 am I'm hoping Bogleheads can help me out here since this is such a knowledge filled group. Ok, as you see from my owning a 5c, I am not up at all on the latest cell phone technology. The 5c, bought 3 years ago, serves me just fine. I almost never use the data and make relatively few calls and texts.
The ONLY issue is that at times--not all times--someone calls me or texts me and the phone doesn't ring or the text alert come on at the time the call/text is made. HOURS later--say 5-6 hours later--I'll get the alert. I can be sitting with the phone in hand (and yes, it is on), someone calls or texts, and no ring or text alert comes in at all. Yet in many other cases someone calls or texts and the phone DOES ring/alert immediately and works just fine.

Otherwise, the phone works perfectly, so being frugal and not using it much I am NOT inclined (yet) to buy a more updated model.
ANY advice about this annoying problem would be most helpful!! Thanks!
I recently had this problem, and it was strange, because, as you mention, it didn't happen all the time.
DH, who "does" the Apple products in our home ("I'm a PC") fiddled around with it on and off for quite some time. Too long, in my mind, given there is an Apple store and Genius Bar right nearby.
But he doesn't remember just what fixed it.

So I'd suggest a stop at a Genius Bar, or perhaps a phone call?
Or Google it. Someone has probably posted whatever settings need to get fixed.

But it was NOT the "silent" hardware mode, nor anything like that with software settings. It was something else with the phone settings.
I also remember the battery kept running down; there was too much (unwanted) stuff running in the background.
Both problems were solved at the same time, but could be coincidence.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Turbo29
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by Turbo29 »

LiveSimple wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 am
bob60014 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 am We had the same issues with our Samsung phones on Tmobile. We would have calls not ring and go straight to voice mail. We ensured all the notification settings were on and correct but after tweaking the phones, further investigation showed we had a low signal in and around our home. Even though the phones showed a signal of varying strength most calls would not go through. A call to Tmobile support was all that was needed. They supplied us with a LTE Cellbooster and now we have full bars and happily no more lost calls!
Good info, will call T Mobile, we have the same issue with our calls, in our home.
I think all of the carries may do this. I have Sprint and I called them and told them that my phone worked great everywhere but my house (also had the calls to voicemail problem) so i was going to leave for another carrier. They had the microcell device out to me within two days, no charge.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
User avatar
jfn111
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by jfn111 »

There are apps out there that allow you to bypass the call and go right to a persons voicemail. One is called slydial. If I know my partners with clients I can leave her a message without her phone ringing.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by CyclingDuo »

Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 am I'm hoping Bogleheads can help me out here since this is such a knowledge filled group. Ok, as you see from my owning a 5c, I am not up at all on the latest cell phone technology. The 5c, bought 3 years ago, serves me just fine. I almost never use the data and make relatively few calls and texts.
The ONLY issue is that at times--not all times--someone calls me or texts me and the phone doesn't ring or the text alert come on at the time the call/text is made. HOURS later--say 5-6 hours later--I'll get the alert. I can be sitting with the phone in hand (and yes, it is on), someone calls or texts, and no ring or text alert comes in at all. Yet in many other cases someone calls or texts and the phone DOES ring/alert immediately and works just fine.

Otherwise, the phone works perfectly, so being frugal and not using it much I am NOT inclined (yet) to buy a more updated model.
ANY advice about this annoying problem would be most helpful!! Thanks!
Follow all of these steps.

https://saintlad.com/iphone-does-not-ring/

If all of that doesn't fix the problem, give Apple Support a call.

That being said, it's getting very close - or rather - time to upgrade from a 5c. Software and spectrum issues (5c does not do VoLTE) will only continue to point towards obsolescence for your 5c. The iPhone 5c came out on 9/20/13, so at this point the phone's technology is 5 years and 3 months old.

Average lifespan of a phone shows you've more than hit your mark.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/619 ... hone-life/
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
02nz
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by 02nz »

Does this happen only at home? Only in places with weak reception? If it's at home, try enabling wi-fi calling (Settings > Phone) and see if that improves things.

If you do decide to upgrade to a newer iPhone, I would suggest an SE (same size screen as your 5C), 6S (bigger), or 6S Plus (even bigger). These phones are only a few years newer and can be bought pretty cheap used/refurb, but they have way, way faster processors than your 5C and will be usable for a long time. Do not get the 6/6 Plus, which is significantly behind the SE/6S.
mortfree
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by mortfree »

Do you see a moon shape on your phone at the top where the time, signal and battery icons are?

That is the do not disturb feature.

You can also have this do not disturb happen for text messages from certain people
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by CyclingDuo »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:11 pmIf you do decide to upgrade to a newer iPhone, I would suggest an SE (same size screen as your 5C), 6S (bigger), or 6S Plus (even bigger). These phones are only a few years newer and can be bought pretty cheap used/refurb, but they have way, way faster processors than your 5C and will be usable for a long time.
Not that we disagree, but at some point one has to decide if they are simply chasing older technology for another old technology. The 6's and SE were all discontinued by Apple in September of 2018 (they were introduced in 2014-16 depending on model and region).

Trading one dinosaur in for another in terms of technology, no matter how inexpensive you could find a used or refurbished one, may result in more chasing simply to keep up on the low end of what is supported through the iOS. Apple usually supports on iOS device for 4 years as the processors evolve, so buyer beware when finding deals on older equipment. Its days may be numbered.

https://www.statista.com/chart/5824/ios ... atibility/

https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-App ... -iPhone-6s
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
02nz
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by 02nz »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:01 pm
02nz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:11 pmIf you do decide to upgrade to a newer iPhone, I would suggest an SE (same size screen as your 5C), 6S (bigger), or 6S Plus (even bigger). These phones are only a few years newer and can be bought pretty cheap used/refurb, but they have way, way faster processors than your 5C and will be usable for a long time.
Not that we disagree, but at some point one has to decide if they are simply chasing older technology for another old technology. The 6's and SE were all discontinued by Apple in September of 2018 (they were introduced in 2014-16 depending on model and region).

Trading one dinosaur in for another in terms of technology, no matter how inexpensive you could find a used or refurbished one, may result in more chasing simply to keep up on the low end of what is supported through the iOS. Apple usually supports on iOS device for 4 years as the processors evolve, so buyer beware when finding deals on older equipment. Its days may be numbered.

https://www.statista.com/chart/5824/ios ... atibility/

https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-App ... -iPhone-6s
I'm usually one to upgrade frequently but made that recommendation based on OP's use case and my own experience with the iPhone models. I've used every generation since the 5/5C, and the difference between the 5/5C and 6S is much more dramatic than between the 6S and XS, even though in both cases it's a difference of three generations/years. I recommended the 6S (or 6S Plus), which was introduced in 2015. The 6/6 Plus was introduced in 2014, and I recommended against it because it's quite a bit slower than the 6S, which doubled the RAM and got much faster NVME storage.

The 5C has the same internals as the 5, from 2012. The big gulf is between 32-bit processors (5/5C, and earlier) and 64-bit processors (5S and later). The 32-bit phones no longer get iOS updates, but even the oldest 64-bit iPhone, the 5S, is still getting updates, and the 6S is another two generations newer, so it's not losing updates any time soon.
delamer
Posts: 10590
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by delamer »

My 5S did not ring when a call came in, period. It wasn’t episodic, it never rang. This happened when the phone as a few years old.

It made a kind of buzzing noise instead.

I upgraded to an 8 recently.
Topic Author
Limoncello402
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by Limoncello402 »

Thanks everyone. I went through all your suggested steps and none apply. The silencer is not on, the do not disturb is not on. I went through each step in the attachment cyclingduo provided (very clear!) and none applied. Except of course the last step that says, well then upgrade your phone.
To be honest I don't get that many calls so I have not yet ascertained whether it is just at home or elsewhere. I'm in the middle of a busy urban area, and again this is not a consistent but intermittent issue.
I called Ting, my carrier, about this matter a number of months ago but they had no clue. I guess I'll attempt to call Apple, although I suspect they will tell me just to upgrade. I don't know what Genius is--not sure we have them here.
I wish I've detected a pattern to those calls/texts that ring or alert and those that don't. So far, none. Some are from contacts, some from unknowns.
The mystery continues. Meanwhile, in (perhaps) true Boglehead fashion, I'm feeling too frugal to upgrade an otherwise very nice phone. I keep thinking it "must" be something I'm missing here.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by CyclingDuo »

Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pmI don't know what Genius is--not sure we have them here.
If you have an Apple store near where you live, the Genius Bar staff are the certified technicians within the Apple Store that meet with customers who have either made an appointment, or have scheduled an appointment on a walk in basis to diagnosis any problem and offer a solution(s) to resolve the problem. The remainder of the employees seen on the store are with product sales, or leadership/management - so beware that all employees on the floor do not serve the customer in the same capacity.
Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pmI wish I've detected a pattern to those calls/texts that ring or alert and those that don't. So far, none. Some are from contacts, some from unknowns.
The mystery continues. Meanwhile, in (perhaps) true Boglehead fashion, I'm feeling too frugal to upgrade an otherwise very nice phone. I keep thinking it "must" be something I'm missing here.
See a Genius Bar staff member to diagnosis any possible issues(s).

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but IMO you are operating on very outdated hardware. Technology changes and adapts at rapid speeds compared to what consumers may wish to get out of their original purchase. You might be able to drive a car you purchase for 10-15 years, but that's not going to hold a candle when it comes to computers, tablets, and smart phones. You have lived the life cycle of your 5c product and it is most likely a good time to upgrade to a more relevant and modern technology. Think of your per day cost of the device as it is the cheapest part of your connectivity. Your monthly bill with your provider is most likely much more expensive on a per day basis than the device itself.

Example: you buy an iPhone XR for $749 and use it for three full years. That's $749 for 1095 days of use which equals 68 cents per day. Keep it for 4 years and you drop down to 51 cents per day. Take your monthly phone bill times 36 or 48 months to see if your device or your service provider ends up being the more expensive cost.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10765
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by ResearchMed »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 pm
Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pmI don't know what Genius is--not sure we have them here.
If you have an Apple store near where you live, the Genius Bar staff are the certified technicians within the Apple Store that meet with customers who have either made an appointment, or have scheduled an appointment on a walk in basis to diagnosis any problem and offer a solution(s) to resolve the problem. The remainder of the employees seen on the store are with product sales, or leadership/management - so beware that all employees on the floor do not serve the customer in the same capacity.
Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pmI wish I've detected a pattern to those calls/texts that ring or alert and those that don't. So far, none. Some are from contacts, some from unknowns.
The mystery continues. Meanwhile, in (perhaps) true Boglehead fashion, I'm feeling too frugal to upgrade an otherwise very nice phone. I keep thinking it "must" be something I'm missing here.
See a Genius Bar staff member to diagnosis any possible issues(s).

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but IMO you are operating on very outdated hardware. Technology changes and adapts at rapid speeds compared to what consumers may wish to get out of their original purchase. You might be able to drive a car you purchase for 10-15 years, but that's not going to hold a candle when it comes to computers, tablets, and smart phones. You have lived the life cycle of your 5c product and it is most likely a good time to upgrade to a more relevant and modern technology. Think of your per day cost of the device as it is the cheapest part of your connectivity. Your monthly bill with your provider is most likely much more expensive on a per day basis than the device itself.

Example: you buy an iPhone XR for $749 and use it for three full years. That's $749 for 1095 days of use which equals $1.46 per day. Take your monthly phone bill times 36 months to see if your device or your service provider is the more expensive cost.
I've got an SE model, which is less than a year old, although the SE model has been around since maybe 2016 (?).

And I had the same problem.

The more I think about it, the more I think it *might* have been associated with "not excellent" reception, but I'm not sure.
OTOH, right now I only have 2 bars, and there hasn't been any "non-ringing calls" for some time - or, at least not that we are aware of.

And we know that at least some of those formerly missed calls were not because of special software intended to bypass ringing, and go straight to voicemail.

One other odd thing we noticed *some* of the times with missed calls was that if the caller called back in about a minute or two, the call *would* ring right through.
But we have no idea why that would be, and we didn't make use of that sometimes pattern (or not that we are aware of).
The phone now works like a charm, thank goodness.

Limoncello402: It was REALLY annoying, so I certainly commiserate.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by SoAnyway »

Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 am Ok, as you see from my owning a 5c, I am not up at all on the latest cell phone technology. The 5c, bought 3 years ago, serves me just fine. I almost never use the data and make relatively few calls and texts.
Happy to see I'm not the only one, OP. :sharebeer My personal cell (have a separate phone for business) is a 5c bought five years ago for 99 bucks. Like you, it's perfect for my minimal "use case", to use the marketing/support lingo. It's a good product for folks like us. SoAnyway....
Limoncello402 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm The mystery continues. Meanwhile, in (perhaps) true Boglehead fashion, I'm feeling too frugal to upgrade an otherwise very nice phone. I keep thinking it "must" be something I'm missing here.
I agree that there's no need to upgrade yet, OP. It's got to be *something*. Since you've gone through all the steps others have suggested re. the hardware itself, I'm guessing maybe it's the carrier (despite them blaming your gear)? Please keep your thread updated, OP. I've not experienced the issue you have but would be eager to hear what you learn. FWIW, I've been on AT&T since I first got the 5c. Thanks to the BH forum, I actually just went through the hoops with AT&T to get it unlocked so I'll be exploring other carriers to lower my bill, but that's neither here nor there...

P.S. The Genius Bar is the crew inside a brick-and-mortar Apple store that you can make an appointment with ahead of time to discuss your Apple gear/software issues. I've had mixed success with them on various Apple products I've owned since the late 90s. Don't get me wrong: They're VERY knowledgable and can fix anything. They're also VERY well-trained in what to share with the customer and when.

The short version is that they will help you any way that makes economic sense for the company. If something's under Applecare warranty or whatever, they'll quickly do the internal math in their heads as to repair vs. replacement and act accordingly. (I've watched them throw perfectly repairable products into the "strip for parts" bin while handing me brand-new replacement for the item I brought in that was thrown in the bin - The margin on the repair would have netted less for Apple than the cost to give me a replacement for free.) If not under warranty, they'll also do the repair vs. replacement calculation in their heads, and pitch for whatever has the higher margin for Apple - often replacement but not always. It's great business (hat tip to Steve Jobs, RIP) and why I'm happy to be invested both directly and indirectly in AAPL, but not always best for the consumer.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
Topic Author
Limoncello402
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by Limoncello402 »

Thanks again everyone for good advice.
In scrolling the net for this issue, I happened upon a long thread about it and got some more tips. One that seems promising is that in Do Not Disturb, Allow Calls From, mine was set to Favorites. No idea why. I changed it to Everyone. There's also some suggestions about changing the Mute/UnMute in Accessibility, Assistive Touch (when you turn on Assistive Touch, a black box/white circle screen appears--tap this, then tap device, then a bell with a line/no line through it.) Mine is unmuted right now. I'll try this on mute if the first solution doesn't work.
By the way, I can call my phone from another phone just fine, and the ring tone works just fine too. I really think the first solution (change Favorites to Everyone) looks promising. As mentioned I don't get many calls or texts (by choice--most people I know (hey, I'm over 60) e-mail) and I've successfully blocked lots of spam calls so it may be awhile before I can see if this works.

Edited to ask: what is Favorites, anyhow? Does it mean Contacts?
02nz
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by 02nz »

Limoncello402 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 am Edited to ask: what is Favorites, anyhow? Does it mean Contacts?
Yes: https://www.lifewire.com/manage-favorit ... pp-2000552
MathWizard
Posts: 4385
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by MathWizard »

On the home window, swipe up. This will show you lots of features, like Do not Disturb (moon icon), Airplane mode,
etc.

Likely you are on DnD. The left side button is also not well known.

You can also check sounds in the settings menu. You may have the sound way down, and the sounds
buttons could be disabled.
Topic Author
Limoncello402
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Why doesn't my iphone (5c) ring when call comes in?

Post by Limoncello402 »

Thanks Mathwizard, but as I stated above the phone is not on Do not Disturb. It is also not on airplane mode. As mentioned, I've already gone through all the suggestions in this thread.
Post Reply