Happy New Year Do you have plans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Happy New Year Do you have plans?

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm

May you all have a very happy and prosperous 2019. I am planning for it to be so.

Tonight, I will be going with my wife to a nice dinner, not only to celebrate the new year, but more so to celebrate our 58th Anniversary. (How did she stand me that long?) Do you have plans?

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jim
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

RudyS

Re: Happy New Year Do you have plans?

Post by RudyS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise, knowledge, and (yes) opinions on so many issues of interest to so many people. To answer the OP, it's just dinner at a Chinese Buffet for DW and me and about 8 friends. Probably won't even be up at midnight.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 pm

We do our usual, Today, we bounced around Boston, took photos at many of the ice sculptures, then had a nice lunch of oysters, lobster rolls, clam chowder, glass of sparkling rose for her, a Narragansett for me.

Tonight we'll steam some dungeness crab and sip something sparkling.

We haven't been out on NYE in years. Happy New Years everyone. I'm happy to have found bogleheads.

Socal77

Post by Socal77 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:40 pm

No plans. Sit home alone. :sharebeer

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Just ran out to the 99 Ranch Market and bought some roast duck. That will be my New Year's Eve dinner (and several more meals). New Year's Eve duck is sort of a new tradition for me.
Then tonight I plan to watch two different versions of Wuthering Heights, one that I recorded from PBS and the other streaming on Kanopy. If I can stay awake :? .

I always aim to stay off the roads.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:01 pm

The wife and I have had so many Christmas get togethers and December birthday parties to attend we decided we're staying home and having Pizza for dinner. :beer

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm
May you all have a very happy and prosperous 2019. I am planning for it to be so.

Tonight, I will be going with my wife to a nice dinner, not only to celebrate the new year, but more so to celebrate our 58th Anniversary. (How did she stand me that long?) Do you have plans?

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jim
Congratulations on the anniversary!!

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:18 pm

Lots of eating. Diet starts tomorrow!

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary. Our plan is to grill the two sexy lobsters and roast a rack of lamb. We will be watching the New Yorkers celebrating the ball dropping on TV. It’s cold here, for us Californians at least, so we’re staying put.
Happy New Year.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:34 pm

jfn111 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:01 pm
The wife and I have had so many Christmas get togethers and December birthday parties to attend we decided we're staying home and having Pizza for dinner. :beer
DW and I just finished having pizza for dinner.

Too many crazies out tonight, rather stay home than get out and worry about drunk drivers.

I am having some Drambuie before bedtime, though. It will kill the taste of pepperoni, green pepper and onion.

Tomorrow we will be having Hoppin' John and cornbread.

Congrats to Mr and Mrs Sheepdog, that is a wonderful thing you two have going on. DW and I are only up to 47 years, I feel like a newlywed compared to you two! DW would probably say it has seemed like 147 years for us. I am in awe of her staying with me; she says she doesn't want to have to train a new husband so I guess I'm safe. Though, we did complete our wills this year, so I best behave.

Best wishes for everyone to have a safe and prosperous 2019! :sharebeer

2018 has been a wonderful year for us, unlike 2017.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: What a wonderful thing to see at Vanguard, all green today!
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Celebrating with neighbors, then our annual exercise of calculating our net worth and future financial goals using “Finish Rich” net worth worksheet, from David Bach’s books. An activity only Bogleheads would l👀k forward to!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:39 pm

My fridge is stuffed full of Jell-O shots. I am going to spend a quiet evening at home with the dog. My family is taking the shots to a party and getting plastered.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Sheepdog wrote:

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jim
Happy New Year and congratulations to you and your wife celebrating your 58th Anniversary.....very special....:beer

It's snowing in our neck of the woods so I made up a batch of baby back ribs for the grill. Wife is twisting up a great salad.......enjoying a few cocktails before dinner.

Happy New Year everyone! :sharebeer

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Sheepdog wrote:

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jim
Happy Anniversary!

Having dinner at home, a very healthy plate of tripe and potatoes in tomato sauce, staying in it’s rainy and chilly here in New York. Looking forward to watching thousands stand in the rain without umbrellas and no bags. (At least it’s not snowing here). Happy New Year!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

peppers

Post by peppers » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 pm

My wife is making Zuppa di Pesce ...fish, mussels, shrimp, scallops...the usual suspects. After dinner we will watch the festivities at Times Square from the comfort of our living room.

And as the hour approaches I fully expect the locals to light up the skies. Not quite the 4th of July but close.

Everyone, have a safe and prosperous New Year.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Socal77 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:40 pm
No plans. Sit home alone. :sharebeer
Me too. Too many drinking too much tonight. I prefer to go to sleep early and wake up without a headache.

And Happy Aniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Sheepdog!

champion_ham

Post by champion_ham » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 pm

DW and I just picked up a pizza from Dominos (too cheap to have it delivered). We’ll be ringing in the new year by finishing the 2nd season of Ozark on Netflix. Last night, we finished catching up on the rest of Game of Thrones. Happy New Year all! :sharebeer

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Here we have lots of appetizers and we work a puzzle while we wait with the kids for the ball drop on TV.

Happy Anniversary Sheepdog!

Thank you to everyone for all your time and advice this year. I didn't know that there was a community like me all these years and am so glad that I found you guys...if for no other reason that I don't cause people's eyes to glaze over IRL as I try to talk finances and investing with them. I learn something daily on here and feel so lucky to have found such a great group of helpful people!

Happy New Year!

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Staying in tonight so I have more money to invest for 2019!

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Just finished a quiet dinner at home with spouse and have settled in for the night. Probably won't stay up for the ball drop and will welcome the new year in the morning. Happy new year to all!

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Happy new year to all.
Pickles beat me to my plans for the evening.
Bob

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm

No plans. In bed already (in SoCal).

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks to everyone on this board for the past year of kindness, generosity of spirit, and sharing of knowledge. And especially to those who keep the board running. It is a pleasure to log in and read some thoughtful and thought-provoking commentary about investing----and about life!

Our New Year's plans? Over the past month, we dispatched all our duties to family and philanthropic causes, so today was just for us. We worked out, lunched on big Bowls at CORE, browsed at the bookstore, stopped for coffee and Japanese pastries, picked up some Ommegang beer on the way home, raked some leaves, took afternoon naps. Tonight we are settled in by the fire with popcorn, watching "Jamestown" on PBS until bedtime (probably well before midnight). Just another incredibly satisfying day for a devoted Boglehead.

Happy Anniversary BTW-----and a Happy and Prosperous 2019 to all.

from Syracuse, NY
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm
Happy Anniversary!

Having dinner at home, a very healthy plate of tripe and potatoes in tomato sauce, staying in it’s rainy and chilly here in New York. Looking forward to watching thousands stand in the rain without umbrellas and no bags. (At least it’s not snowing here). Happy New Year!
Shame on you for not honoring your screen name! But I will be doing frozen pizza and watching TV. :sharebeer
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Happy New Year to all.
I would like to take this opportunity to THANK ALL BOGLEHEADS for your contributions of your knowledge and share your experiences with the community through the year. The market has not done as well as we hoped but we stay the course and believe in our philosophy and strategy, we encourage each other when the times that we doubted yourselves, we clarify the policy details when one needs help.
A special THANKS to the board members, ladygeek and major contributors.

Let's cheers, cheers for yesterday's hard work, cheers for today's success and cheers for tomorrow's prospiraty!!
:sharebeer

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 pm

I doubt I will make it past 10:30pm. I'm too old for the late nights now. Supper was spaghetti and meat sauce with red wine.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Munchies, a bottle of Mumm de Cramant, and binge-watching season 1 of “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.”
:D :D :D :sharebeer
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Enjoying some fine tunes now, and some fine drama later, courtesy of a paid subscription with a major supplier of internet entertainment.

The wild ride will continue this coming year - hang on or let go as the mood takes you!

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:29 pm

Happy anniversary!

We are going to our annual neighborhood New Years party, complete with kids, champagne, and noise makers. We’re blessed, this year and most years.

Cheers all!

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Picked up dinner at McDonalds. Eating in a parking lot next to the copper mine overlooking the city as I type this. Yeehaw.

Ya’ll be safe tonight if you’re out imbibing.

:beer
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 pm

Happy anniversary. I am following my usual New Year's Eve plan: Dinner at home, watch the bowl games on TV, and drink some good bourbon. Wishing all Bogleheads a happy and prosperous New Year!

DMW

MedicatedMoney

Post by MedicatedMoney » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 pm

Happy New Year to All!

We took the kids to dinner for habachi and then came home for some board games!
With 4 kids under 10, staying home is the only option for us which we prefer! We are waiting to see if the kids will make it to midnight - the 10, 8 & 6 yr olds are determine to do it this year! The 2 yr old made it to 10 and for us parents, we are betting the under for our own sake!!!

Stay safe tonight and wishing everyone a happy new year!
-Medicated

RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:39 pm

GerryL wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:57 pm
Just ran out to the 99 Ranch Market and bought some roast duck. That will be my New Year's Eve dinner (and several more meals). New Year's Eve duck is sort of a new tradition for me.
Then tonight I plan to watch two different versions of Wuthering Heights, one that I recorded from PBS and the other streaming on Kanopy. If I can stay awake :? .

I always aim to stay off the roads.

My family loved the 99 Ranch Market when we lived out there.

Happy New Year!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 pm

First, we both wish everyone a very Happy & Healthy New Year!

And we thank EVERYONE on Bogleheads for so much information, support, and enthusiasm.
We have gained greatly over the past decade.
A few days ago, it was our 10th Anniversary here
:happy

We're watching TV (perhaps a bit of Times Square and other midnights elsewhere) and some movies.

We do not go out on the roads on NYE.
Usually we take the kids/grands someplace, including a hotel with good views of fireworks, but they are out of the country this year, so it's just the two Geezers here this evening.

We've got a half bottle of champagne waiting in the fridge, which is about as wild as we tend to get.

🍷 🍷

RM & Mr. RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 pm

58 years ..... awesome!

Windylotus

Post by Windylotus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 pm

DW and I are hitting the sack early tonight. We have a 6:30AM flight to Pennsylvania first thing in the morning. Going to meet our grandson for the first time! Couldn't ask for a better way to start the year off!

Happy New Year Boglehead community

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Snowed in @ Show Low, AZ (enroute to the San Tan Valley) :oops: ...roads closed in all directions...good thing we are Bogleheads and saved our $$$...could be here awhile!
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (New Year's day plans).

Happy New Year! 🎉
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.