Furniture - Ethan Allen Sofa

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BoglePaul

Furniture - Ethan Allen Sofa

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

I am shopping for a new sofa and chair. My friend recommended Ethan Allen. I visited the store and the representative visit my home, measured my living room and created a few layouts. I selected a layout (sofa, chair, and table). Any idea how to get the best price? Would it cost less to wait until President's Day weekend to order?

Thx

stimulacra

Re: Furniture - Ethan Allen Sofa

Post by stimulacra » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:27 pm

If you know the specific names of the furniture items, you can wait for them to pop up on Craigslist. Easy way to save 50% at least on mainline items.

Otherwise I would ask the reps when specific items go on sale. Good chance though if they went to the trouble of going to your home to create a custom layout, they are incentivized to steer you towards whatever gives them the highest commission. They might play dumb about upcoming sales.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm

This is what I did for another furniture place. I frequent the website, selected the item and put in the cart, but didn’t pull the trigger. A few days later I got the 25% coupon. That’s when I purchased it. The reason I didn’t pull the trigger is because when I was there browsing the floor for items, I went to the restroom where employees were discussing sales on a Thanksgiving, that perked my interest. So I was waiting for Thanksgiving sale.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 pm

What price did they come up with?

I found a couch I liked at Haynes, ordered it online from https://www.sofasandsectionals.com and saved a few hundred easily. Same brand Catnapper that was at Haynes.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm

I could never afford an Ethan Allen sofa. Sofa Mart and other stores have similar looking products for 50-75% less. I purchased a very classy sofa set for my remodeled basement (sofa mart) and I'm very happy with the look, quality, and price. Maybe price doesn't matter for your income, but if it does, looking at Sofa Mart might be worth your time.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm
I could never afford an Ethan Allen sofa. Sofa Mart and other stores have similar looking products for 50-75% less. I purchased a very classy sofa set for my remodeled basement (sofa mart) and I'm very happy with the look, quality, and price. Maybe price doesn't matter for your income, but if it does, looking at Sofa Mart might be worth your time.

How it looks is only a small piece of the equation. I hate spending money on furniture, but something like a sofa in your main room (not basement) deserves to be upgraded. Comfort and durability are different.

Topic Author
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:07 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm
This is what I did for another furniture place. I frequent the website, selected the item and put in the cart, but didn’t pull the trigger. A few days later I got the 25% coupon. That’s when I purchased it. The reason I didn’t pull the trigger is because when I was there browsing the floor for items, I went to the restroom where employees were discussing sales on a Thanksgiving, that perked my interest. So I was waiting for Thanksgiving sale.
Thanks for the tip! I will try for a coupon and see if I can apply it in store.

Topic Author
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 pm

fortfun wrote:
Thanks for the tip. The only furniture I have purchased new is a standing office desk so I want to make sure I get something quality. I took a look at sofasandsectionals.com however the brand names: Rowe, Lazzaro, Klaussner etc. are all new brand names to me. I am unsure which would guarantee quality.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 am

BoglePaul wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 pm
fortfun wrote:
Thanks for the tip. The only furniture I have purchased new is a standing office desk so I want to make sure I get something quality. I took a look at sofasandsectionals.com however the brand names: Rowe, Lazzaro, Klaussner etc. are all new brand names to me. I am unsure which would guarantee quality.
Most upholstered sofas are still made in US. NC still has some good sofa manufactuers. There are many different brands with a wide variety of quality. Some of the more recognizable names may make only average quality products. Ethan Allen is a good manufacturer but more expensive than some (you wind up paying for the design service which may not be a bad thing).

We have usually purchased our furniture from showrooms in High Point or Hickory. These showrooms do a lot of mail order business too and offer good products at discounted prices. Here are links to a couple of our favorite showrooms:

https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/ (High Point - fantastic huge showroom. Top brands in order of quality: Lexington, Hickory Chair, Hooker, Universal. Sales help can be uneven, some good, some mediocre)

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ (this is a furniture mart with many retailers)

Whenever we bought living room furniture, we always did our research to determine best quality at price points we were interested in. It can be confusing because there are so many manufacturers. However, to get furniture that lasts, you need to do it. A lot of the more popular stores sells recognizable brands that are of average or mediocre quality. They may look good now, but will not last.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 am

I'm glad there are still furniture manufacturers in NC. We bought some nice pieces up there when we moved into our current home almost 30 years ago. We went to NC on vacation, bought the pieces, after they were made they were trucked down to us.

We visited the places carolinaman mentioned, High Point, Hickory, Black Mountain, etc.

We still have our Sumter Cabinet dining room set. Gorgeous golden oak. Also had some Tell City tables in hard-rock maple. Today it would be hard to give away, I expect. Tastes change, time moves on.

One issue about quality furniture, you can get tired of it. We replaced master bedroom furniture after 28 years. Still in perfect shape, we had glass on the tops of all flat surfaces. We recently changed out our living room furniture for the same reason, just got tired of it. Still plenty of life in all of it, gave it to charity so someone is using some very nice furniture, I'm sure it lives on.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 am

Years ago Ethan Allen used to rotate what was on sale so you could definitely wait until your stuff hit the sale and then buy it - not sure if this is true any longer. If you like the set and experience you got from them it doesn't hurt to ask for sale pricing - I've had other furniture stores give me their "best" yearly pricing when I've asked.

As I recall - January and August are the best months for furniture sales.

Unless something has changed - Ethan Allen furniture is high-quality - we have a bedroom-set and several other pieces that have held up for decades (I say this because someone mentions you could buy discount furniture at 50% cheaper - while this may be true for purchase price it might not be true in the long run as you will have to replace the cheaper furniture much sooner)

Topic Author
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 am
I'm glad there are still furniture manufacturers in NC. We bought some nice pieces up there when we moved into our current home almost 30 years ago. We went to NC on vacation, bought the pieces, after they were made they were trucked down to us.

We visited the places carolinaman mentioned, High Point, Hickory, Black Mountain, etc.

We still have our Sumter Cabinet dining room set. Gorgeous golden oak. Also had some Tell City tables in hard-rock maple. Today it would be hard to give away, I expect. Tastes change, time moves on.

One issue about quality furniture, you can get tired of it. We replaced master bedroom furniture after 28 years. Still in perfect shape, we had glass on the tops of all flat surfaces. We recently changed out our living room furniture for the same reason, just got tired of it. Still plenty of life in all of it, gave it to charity so someone is using some very nice furniture, I'm sure it lives on.

Broken Man 1999
Thanks for the tip. Not up for a roadtrip though.

Topic Author
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 am
BoglePaul wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 pm
fortfun wrote:
Most upholstered sofas are still made in US. NC still has some good sofa manufactuers. There are many different brands with a wide variety of quality. Some of the more recognizable names may make only average quality products. Ethan Allen is a good manufacturer but more expensive than some (you wind up paying for the design service which may not be a bad thing).

We have usually purchased our furniture from showrooms in High Point or Hickory. These showrooms do a lot of mail order business too and offer good products at discounted prices. Here are links to a couple of our favorite showrooms:

https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/ (High Point - fantastic huge showroom. Top brands in order of quality: Lexington, Hickory Chair, Hooker, Universal. Sales help can be uneven, some good, some mediocre)

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ (this is a furniture mart with many retailers)

Whenever we bought living room furniture, we always did our research to determine best quality at price points we were interested in. It can be confusing because there are so many manufacturers. However, to get furniture that lasts, you need to do it. A lot of the more popular stores sells recognizable brands that are of average or mediocre quality. They may look good now, but will not last.
Thanks for the stores, lots more to research to go if I am to make an informed decision. I could see making a trip if I needed to furnish a home.

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:24 pm

We bought our living room set, 2 loveseats, 2 chairs, coffee table at Ethan Allen's 28 years ago. Great quality. When we get tired of it, it will be worth getting it reupholstered.

Grantley

Post by Grantley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 pm

I have heard that Ethan Allen furniture's quality had declined significantly over the past decade or two. You may want to do some research and check the on-line reviews.

Arabesque

Post by Arabesque » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 pm

My Ethn Allen sofa did not hold up. It was faded and lumpy within 5 years. My Raymour and Flanagan loveseat is indestructible (and I am sick of it after 15 years). I would not buy Ethan Allen again.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:02 pm

Raymour and Flanigan is a store. Ethan Allen is a manufacturer.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm
Hi,

I am shopping for a new sofa and chair. My friend recommended Ethan Allen. I visited the store and the representative visit my home, measured my living room and created a few layouts. I selected a layout (sofa, chair, and table). Any idea how to get the best price? Would it cost less to wait until President's Day weekend to order?

Thx
I would not recommend ethan allen. Its cheaply made of chinese wood. Its ‘made in usa’ but of low standard. And you will pay a hefty price.

Just curious-how much is the sofa.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:27 pm
If you know the specific names of the furniture items, you can wait for them to pop up on Craigslist. Easy way to save 50% at least on mainline items.

Otherwise I would ask the reps when specific items go on sale. Good chance though if they went to the trouble of going to your home to create a custom layout, they are incentivized to steer you towards whatever gives them the highest commission. They might play dumb about upcoming sales.
Unless I was seriously broke I would never buy used upholstery. Thats just gross.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:38 am

Craigslist was more for the tables and accents chair. You should splurge on mattresses and sofas I agree.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 am

mfswatz9 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:24 pm
We bought our living room set, 2 loveseats, 2 chairs, coffee table at Ethan Allen's 28 years ago. Great quality. When we get tired of it, it will be worth getting it reupholstered.
Im sure furniture made then was exceptional

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/busi ... 51733.html

but as you can see and probably are aware, ethan allen is junk today- most is made in China.

I would rather just pay the extra and buy a stickley because I know its made in USA from sourced wood in the US all the way through the manufacturing and upholstering.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:00 am

jayk238 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 am
mfswatz9 wrote:

but as you can see and probably are aware, ethan allen is junk today- most is made in China.

I would rather just pay the extra and buy a stickley because I know its made in USA from sourced wood in the US all the way through the manufacturing and upholstering.
I believe Ethan Allen upholstered furniture is still made in US. They have a plant in VA.

msk

Post by msk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:22 am

We furnished our new, very large home about 5 years ago. I think it's somewhat silly to go to Ethan Allen to look for bargains. Nobody beats value-for-money than Ikea. We bought so much furniture that I ended up pricing it by the meter width (or per foot of sofa width). Basically you get the mass store non branded stuff a bit cheaper than Ikea, then Ikea (far better value because more sturdy/comfortable), then brands like ID Design at 2x Ikea, then 2x more for Ethan Allen then 2x to3x more for Roche Bobois (with their European suppliers). We found Roche Bobois too upper end for us, $10+k for a 3-seater. But Ethan Allen (also ID Design and Roche Bobois) basically offers bespoke manufacturing. You select everything in a sofa, from cushion filling to buttons to fabric to cording to nail studs to... I do not see how you can get sofas on sale on these upper end manufacturers other than store displays. Mass store prices from mass stores.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 am

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:00 am
jayk238 wrote:
mfswatz9 wrote:

I believe Ethan Allen upholstered furniture is still made in US. They have a plant in VA.
Yes but the wood and materials themselves are from china. Even if the wood is sourced from usa. The quality of the cutting finishing etc is substandard

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:42 am

jayk238 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 am
carolinaman wrote:
jayk238 wrote:
mfswatz9 wrote:

Yes but the wood and materials themselves are from china. Even if the wood is sourced from usa. The quality of the cutting finishing etc is substandard
We bought two Ethan Allen sofas moving into our new home and so far after 15 months they've held up much better than our previous Bassett sofa, which after a year was creaky and the fabric was beginning to pill.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:49 am

8foot7 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:42 am
jayk238 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 am
carolinaman wrote:
jayk238 wrote:
mfswatz9 wrote:

We bought two Ethan Allen sofas moving into our new home and so far after 15 months they've held up much better than our previous Bassett sofa, which after a year was creaky and the fabric was beginning to pill.
I would say today ethan allen is better than bassett. It fell of the wagon after the financial crisis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyor ... -maker/amp

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 am

We have Ethan Allen furniture, a couch, kitchen table, two accent chairs, Demilune, and console table. All purchased in the last 5 years. The sofa and chairs are very comfortable and well made no issues at all. I recommend them, but only buy when they have sales the general sales are 20% off and sometimes up to 30%. I like that you can customize the fabrics and leather.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 am

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:27 pm

I bought my couch from Ethan Allen 18 months ago. In my experience they will tell you about upcoming sales. I don’tthink They do the holiday sale thing, but have 2 major sales a year.

But ask since it can’t hurt.