Must sees in Kauai.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fortfun

Must sees in Kauai.

Post by fortfun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Heading to Kauai next week with CC miles! I'm finding mostly older posts on this site. Any updates? With DW and kids 10 & 12. Staying on East side with a rental car. Like the beach and hiking. Looks like this time of year the beaches on the South are best. Would love a helicopter ride but want this trip to be low cost, hence the CC miles. Will a boat tour suffice?

ccieemeritus

Re: Must sees in Kauai.

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Not a tourist attraction but the cheapest place to stock up on stuff is the Costco. We even bought some (cheap) waterboards there and left them with a “free” sign at hotel when leaving. Cheaper than renting. Costco also had nice Hawaiian shirts.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 pm

If there's any way you can swing it, you really should spring for a helicopter tour. On a clear day, it's absolutely breathtaking, the kind of thing you'll tell you grandchildren about one day.

Hanalei Bay is incredible, what I call a 100 acre swimming pool (it's probably bigger than that). The Hanalei Dolphin is a fantastic restaurant right on the edge of it. We rented a two-person kayak and went up the river that empties into the bay and back out into the bay itself. It wasn't expensive at all, and we had some beautiful nene come right along side us.

My wife and I did a snuba 'tour' (can't remember exactly where now) and really enjoyed it, although it gave me severe motion sickness afterward (I'm very prone to it). Snuba is where you have a scuba breathing apparatus but your tank is up at the surface. The guy taking us down videoed it, and it was a lot of fun.

If we could go back, we would definitely spend some time hiking down into Waimea Canyon. The pictures we've seen down there look amazing.

Have a great time!
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Anini beach.

If you need sun block, floaties, rafts, etc get them from Walmart. Cheaper than renting them.

Where are you staying?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 pm
Anini beach.

If you need sun block, floaties, rafts, etc get them from Walmart. Cheaper than renting them.

Where are you staying?
Regardless of price, I wouldn't want to use rented sun block.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 pm
Heading to Kauai next week with CC miles! I'm finding mostly older posts on this site. Any updates? With DW and kids 10 & 12. Staying on East side with a rental car. Like the beach and hiking. Looks like this time of year the beaches on the South are best. Would love a helicopter ride but want this trip to be low cost, hence the CC miles. Will a boat tour suffice?
Don’t get too adventurous with the rental car. I (stupidly) took a convertible off the paved roads and was very happy to get out of the mud.

I liked the beaches on the East/Northeast the best.....all the better if Poipu is really crowded.

Have a great time!

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am

The hike to the hanakaipai falls was a once in a lifetime experience for me. Helicopter tour of the island was amazing. Mahaulepu beach was very desolate and beautiful. It was amazing having this huge amazing beach to ourselves. Waimea canyon, and the overlooks of the Napali coast were incredible as well.

A boat tour would be suffice but you have to at least see the Napali coast on the tour. There is nothing else in the world like it.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:33 am

The helicopter tour is really incredible - if you don't do it on this trip, maybe make it a future goal just for you and your wife, anniversary or whatever.
The zip lining would be pretty fun, especially if your kids have never done it.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 am

Waimea Canyon is really lovely—like a mini Grand Canyon. Princeville is quite majestic, Hanalei Bay, Poipu Beach and Na Pali Cliffs are all very lovely too. You will have s grwat time! Horseback riding is available if you and your family are interested as well.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:17 am

If you happen to be a Grateful Dead fan you should google Rising up to Paradise on New Year's Eve. That alone would be worth the trip.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 am

Here is my list of must-sees:

Boat Tour - these cost about $150-$200 per person but well worth it to see the Na Pali coast, not to mention the sea life that you'll encounter. I'm sure the kids will be thrilled for encounters with dolphins, turtles and whales (it should be whale season). Some tours will even stop for a snorkel session. Costco.com sells Holo-Holo Charter $100 gift cards for $79.99. This is a boat company that we've used and we like them.
Helicopter Tour - pricey, but well worth it as many have mentioned. I would recommend doing the boat tour or helicopter tour
Hike Sleeping Giant in Kapaa
Visit the National Tropical Botanical Garden/Allerton Gardens - this is a beautiful property to tour for a garden lover
Hanalei Bay - this is probably one of the most picturesque place on earth. Surf will likely be too high to swim as Kauai gets winter north swells, so head to Anini Beach for swimming since it is protected by a reef 2 miles out.
Lava Lava Beach Club in Kapaa for a sunset drink/dinner, where you can dig your toes in the sand and dine right on the beach. It's kid-friendly too.
You may see beached turtles and the endangered monk seals on Poipu beach if you're there in the morning. Please keep your distance.
Waimea Canyon

If you have a kitchen in your rental and plan to eat in, stock up on grocery staples at Costco after you land as that is most economical. It should be relatively quiet on the island in January, so you don't have to wrestle with the other tourists. Have a great time!
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 am

The Na Pali coast - hiking to the Hanakapi’ai falls is a must. Some believe it’s the most beautiful, generally accessable hike in the U.S. I concur.

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:42 am

I should have also mentioned that heavy rains caused havoc on the North Shore this year; some areas are inaccessible to non-residents because of road damage due to flooding. When we were there in early November, the roads were closed to visitors past Hanalei Bay. Also, I heard that the Kalalau trail has been washed out completely and restoration is slow/has not begun. :( This means no hikes to Hanakapi'ai Falls if this is true. I would check with local agencies to get most up to date information. Note that it can be very rainy in January, especially on the North Shore so you don't really want to be hiking when it's wet/muddy for safety reasons anyway.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:27 am

My Must Do for Kauai is to mount a dash cam on the car windshield to continuously record everything the car sees. A few years ago, I drove a rental car, and found extended sections of road there that were one lane with no passing zones that extended for miles. At one point, I was in a 50 MPH limit road but behind an old pickup truck that was doing little better than 25. Even though the road was marked for no passing, I could see that it was clear to use the oncoming lane to pass and I started to do that. Unfortunately, the truck driver thought it was a game, and he accelerated to match my speed, so I was trapped in the wrong lane until I got up to 60+ and could get back into the right lane. My advice is to enjoy the scenery, but be cautious around any local residents.
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:11 am

There’s an interesting tour featuring the locations of movies made on the island.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:38 am

Agree with everything said so far BUT.......Beware of wild chickens and cats....yes chickens!! If you are staying at a place with no AC be advised the chickens start crowing at 3 AM. We had no idea this was a problem on the island and found out the hard way with sleepless nights, not a problem on the other islands. What was interesting the cats and chickens get along with cats ignoring the chickens! Is was funny everywhere we went saw signs about not feeding the chickens and to ignore the cats. We were on the island September 2016.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 am

Waimea Canyon. Make sure it's a clear day!

Boat ride around the Napali Coast!

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 am

Helicopter tour, Na Pali Boat Tour (best way to see it), Kalaulau Trail hike (need a permit, strenuous, you can do the first couple miles without a permit), Waimea Canyon, Allerton Gardens, Snorkeling, Deep Sea Fishing, try the poke raw fish bowls, go to Costco/Walmart to save on everything you need. I would rent a convertible or Wrangler as the drives are very scenic around Hanalei and Waimea Canyon.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:02 am

The tropical botanical garden, Ke’e beach (watch out for the chickens).....great for snorkeling...you also pick up the Kalalau trail here, definitely a helicopter tour, and you have to get a Bubba’s burgers too. We rented snorkel gear from a local dive place for the entire week. It was fairly inexpensive. Definitely worth looking into.

rocketful28

Post by rocketful28 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:22 am

I travel to Kauai for work about 3 times a year and will be going again next month. Here are my recommendations:

Hotel -- I've stayed at the Lihue Marriott near the airport and the Koloa Landing Resort in Poipu. Both are excellent, but I prefer Koloa Landing due to its proximity to Poipu beach and the many restaurant options in the area.

Food -- a popular casual island bar and restaurant spot is Keoki's Paradise in Poipu; it is an off-shoot of Duke's which is a Hawaiian chain (both are good)-there is a Duke's restaurant in Lihue right by the Marriott Resort. A very good upscale restaurant is The Beach House which also in Poipu. For breakfast/brunch/lunch, definitely check out Kalaheo Cafe. For local brews, check out Kauai Beer Co. - a great brewery in Lihue; I believe on Thursdays they have food trucks there at night that are great. I would not recommend Merriman's Fish House anymore; it was wonderful about two years ago, and last year I took my entire team there for a celebration dinner and it was atrocious; the food came out all wrong and they would not process more than 2 credit cards for the bill and we ended up emptying our wallets for cash; just truly bizarre and terrible.

Hiking -- definitely check out the Kalalau hike to the waterfall; it's just gorgeous the entire way. I've done this hike about 4 or 5 times. It's 2 miles of very easy hiking along the Na'Pali coast with breathtaking views terminating at a river beach opening. If you choose, you can continue an additional 2 miles inland along the river to a massive beautiful waterfall that is amazing. It took me and my co-worker about 5 hours round trip to/from the waterfall. A few tips: parking fills up quickly, get to the park before 0730 to enjoy a close spot. If you arrive and there is any caution tape and a sign "trail closed" ... just ignore it. Usually someone from the park arrives around 0800 to remove the tape and sign. Do not do the trail if it is raining hard; there is flash flooding that can be very dangerous and some portions of the trail on the way to the waterfall will require you to enter and cross some shallow streams. Bring lots of water and reef shoes.

Helicopter tour -- definitely do it. It's about $350 for 2 people, do it with the doors off; we used Jack Harter and it was terrific. The pilot was an ex-Apache attack helicopter flying instructor for the Army and was very skilled.

Some of the other contributors have listed some other good spots. I'll leave it at this for now.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 am

Head up to the Koke’e state park for another view of the Na Pali coast. There are several great hikes you can take out to the very edges of the cliffs.
Last edited by oxothuk on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ca$h

Post by Ca$h » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 am

Boat ride to Napali coast with snorkling included.
The helicopter ride is absolutely worth the cost.

Agree with recommendation for Costco. Also check out Walmart. I know, sound strange, but that have really cool gifts and HI specific clothes!

To eat:
Wishing Well Shave Ice in Hanalei
Kilauea Fish Market
Da Crack in Poipu

Overall I've had more success seeing turtles while snorkling while on the northern part of the island, overall I've had much better weather on the southern part of the island.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:00 am

MrsRoos wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:42 am
I should have also mentioned that heavy rains caused havoc on the North Shore this year; some areas are inaccessible to non-residents because of road damage due to flooding. When we were there in early November, the roads were closed to visitors past Hanalei Bay. Also, I heard that the Kalalau trail has been washed out completely and restoration is slow/has not begun. :( This means no hikes to Hanakapi'ai Falls if this is true. I would check with local agencies to get most up to date information. Note that it can be very rainy in January, especially on the North Shore so you don't really want to be hiking when it's wet/muddy for safety reasons anyway.
It's grim, but I will add this for the OP to know. For the reasons above, one of the guests at the hotel where I was staying in January several years ago was swept out to sea in a flash flood and drowned. She had been hiking.

northtexan

Post by northtexan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 am

Polihale State Park, it is a great secluded beach on the west side of the island near the Na Pali coast. You need a 4 wheel drive car to get there since the last road there is sand and can be muddy depending on the recent weather. It was great to be there, might have been one other group of people there when we went.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 am

Also try lapert's ice cream, and the various types of poke for breakfast. Poke is usually sold out by 11am so get there early. Grocery stores will carry it, but it's better to get it from Mom and Pop stores.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:43 am

I’m taking note of this thread. We went to Kauai for our honeymoon and never been back. We stayed at the Poipu beach and had rented a Jeep. And that’s all I remember about it after nearly 30 years.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:02 pm

awval999 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 am
Waimea Canyon. Make sure it's a clear day!

Boat ride around the Napali Coast!
IIRC there are two departure points for the NaPali Coast boat tours; one of them gets you far more time actually seeing the NaPali Coast but doesn't operate in winter. Check a guidebook for details.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:03 pm

ccieemeritus wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Not a tourist attraction but the cheapest place to stock up on stuff is the Costco. We even bought some (cheap) waterboards there and left them with a “free” sign at hotel when leaving. Cheaper than renting. Costco also had nice Hawaiian shirts.
My favorite item at the Costco was definitely the poke! So miss that.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:00 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 pm
If there's any way you can swing it, you really should spring for a helicopter tour. On a clear day, it's absolutely breathtaking, the kind of thing you'll tell you grandchildren about one day.

Hanalei Bay is incredible, what I call a 100 acre swimming pool (it's probably bigger than that). The Hanalei Dolphin is a fantastic restaurant right on the edge of it. We rented a two-person kayak and went up the river that empties into the bay and back out into the bay itself. It wasn't expensive at all, and we had some beautiful nene come right along side us.

My wife and I did a snuba 'tour' (can't remember exactly where now) and really enjoyed it, although it gave me severe motion sickness afterward (I'm very prone to it). Snuba is where you have a scuba breathing apparatus but your tank is up at the surface. The guy taking us down videoed it, and it was a lot of fun.

If we could go back, we would definitely spend some time hiking down into Waimea Canyon. The pictures we've seen down there look amazing.

Have a great time!
Thanks Willthrill!

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Anini beach.

Where are you staying?
Marriot Coconut beach. What we could get with points. Not the greatest place but it was free!

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:03 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Anini beach.

Where are you staying?
Regardless of price, I wouldn't want to use rented sun block.

RM
Or old stuff. My wife and I suffered from severe sunburns years ago from using high SPF sunscreen that was several years old. We now throw away all that we have at the end of each summer.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! I'll print this thread and study it on the flight there!

AquaTarkus

Post by AquaTarkus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:10 pm

we did this over 30 years ago. Best part of the trip

https://www.napali.com/raft/?gclid=CjwK ... 3MQAvD_BwE

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Anini beach.

Where are you staying?
Marriot Coconut beach. What we could get with points. Not the greatest place but it was free!
Lydgate park is very close. It has a small, shallow enclosed Bay where you don't have to supervise young kids.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm
fortfun wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Anini beach.

Where are you staying?
Lydgate park is very close. It has a small, shallow enclosed Bay where you don't have to supervise young kids.
Thanks UncleS!

Eazyndn

Post by Eazyndn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Agree with all the great suggestions, but here is an out of the box suggestion that is worth spending a few hours.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/monastery/about

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Eazyndn wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:44 pm
Agree with all the great suggestions, but here is an out of the box suggestion that is worth spending a few hours.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/monastery/about
Looks beautiful.

AquaTarkus

Post by AquaTarkus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 am

we did the luau here - much fun

https://thenui.com/

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:41 pm

I know, if I went to Kauai, I would want to find out and see as much about Barking Sands as I could.

That is just me, however.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

stvyreb

Post by stvyreb » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 am

there is that book about "revealed" kauai or such.

I guess much depends on your values as a traveller, I am a resident of the state, and did spring for the doors off pali coast flyby, which was impressive, but at $250/hour at that time, and apparently similar costs for NYC helicopter tours, I can't say "it's worth the money" unless you have loads to splurge.

Frankly, why not just limit your in-car time and try to support the real local economy rather than the well-trodden tourist stuff .... though the whole island's a bit of a trap IMO.

but yeah , Winter brings storms from the North, so swimming, Poipu snorkeling or something is gonna work best on the South Side, Na Pali could be a bit rough from the "wrap-around" from the North .... you could go to the North Shore lighthouse and watch the seabirds, Iwa are pretty amazing.

The East side has a few short waterfall hikes, that I didn't see any fellow tourists on, time I was there, sleeping lady is OK ..... if you get a 4x4 you could try some side roads off Waimea Canyon, paved but steep .... maybe do Waimea Canyon early to avoided traffic on 2 lane roads or stay up at the campground 1 night