Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
AtlantaP
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by AtlantaP » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 pm

I used to consider this a large, boring, grown-up sedan but the current model (and upcoming 2019 version) are so sporty and beautiful! Considering trading in my 2007 Altima for one, wondering if anyone has one or has any thoughts on the model. I've seen a lot of great comments on Honda's and Toyota's and would love thoughts/advice on this particular car.

KlangFool
Posts: 14190
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by KlangFool » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:46 pm

AtlantaP wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 pm
I used to consider this a large, boring, grown-up sedan but the current model (and upcoming 2019 version) are so sporty and beautiful! Considering trading in my 2007 Altima for one, wondering if anyone has one or has any thoughts on the model. I've seen a lot of great comments on Honda's and Toyota's and would love thoughts/advice on this particular car.
AtlantaP,

Why would you buy a Maxima when you can get almost everything with an Altima at a much lower price? That is the problem with Maxima.

KlangFool

Topic Author
AtlantaP
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by AtlantaP » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 pm

I've looked at the new Altima's and really don't like them at all - the inside (even of the highest model) feel cheap inside compared to my current version and the car in general feels huge (as in too large for me). Despite being pretty much the same dimensions the Maxima feels smaller (or closer in size to my current car) and just nicer. Love love love the Maxima interior.

KlangFool
Posts: 14190
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by KlangFool » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:33 pm

AtlantaP wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 pm
I've looked at the new Altima's and really don't like them at all - the inside (even of the highest model) feel cheap inside compared to my current version and the car in general feels huge (as in too large for me). Despite being pretty much the same dimensions the Maxima feels smaller (or closer in size to my current car) and just nicer. Love love love the Maxima interior.
AtlantaP,

How much more would you be paying versus the Altima?

KlangFool

davetopia
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by davetopia » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:49 pm

AtlantaP wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 pm
I used to consider this a large, boring, grown-up sedan but the current model (and upcoming 2019 version) are so sporty and beautiful! Considering trading in my 2007 Altima for one, wondering if anyone has one or has any thoughts on the model. I've seen a lot of great comments on Honda's and Toyota's and would love thoughts/advice on this particular car.
I have a 2017 SR. I love it. I got it for much for the same reasons you describe and it was the first Nissan model with CarPlay. Also, I wanted a V6 and a V6 Altima is extremely hard to come by. Everyone on this forum seems to hate Nissan, but I have owned a few and never had a problem with them. I personally can't stand the blandness of most Hondas and Toyotas. If you can afford the Maxima and you like it, who cares how much more it costs than the Altima?

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6710
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by whodidntante » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm

My folks had two Maximas and an Infiniti (aka fancy Nissan) Q50. They were fiercely brand loyal and loved driving the cars. But their experiences with mechanical issues completely, thoroughly, and permanently destroyed all traces of brand loyalty. Maybe they were just lucky.

FireSekr
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by FireSekr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Front wheel drive is not sporty. I prefer the interior and exterior styling of the accord touring over the maxima. Nissan’s reliability is nowhere near Honda.

I say this with sadness as my dad drove a maxima when I was younger and I learned to drive in it. Loved that car and wish they were still making a quality product but Nissan has cheapened their cars too much for my liking since the takeover by Renault.

wootwoot
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by wootwoot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Nissan has really cannibalized their Maxima line-up over the last decade by making the Altima a much better value. Performance-wise Nissan is using the same engine they developed 15 years ago and the Maxima is equipped with a CVT which many consider sub-par to other transmissions. Nissan used to make good products but they are hard to recommend nowadays.

02nz
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm

I wouldn't buy a FWD sedan with overwrought styling for $35K-$42K. There's nothing wrong with the Maxima, but there are so many better choices at this price or lower (e.g., a Mazda6, which costs about the same fully loaded as a base Maxima; the Genesis G70 which has gotten great reviews and has proper sporting creds (RWD); or the understated but luxurious Audi A4.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5363
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Kenkat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 pm

I had a 95 Maxima GLE that I loved. That said, after 10 years and 115k miles, it felt worn out and had some problems that were going to eventually need attention. Contrast that to the 2005 Toyota Camry SE V6 that replaced it, which still feels mostly new even after 13+ years and 130k miles. I also know some people that had issues with the CVT in late 2000 era Altimas, so overall I don’t feel Nissan quality is quite there compared to other brands. I do like the looks of the Maxima a lot but having looked at them back in 2005 and also had a friend with a 2006, it seemed very similar to the Altima V6 but for a lot more money. BUT - if this is the car you like, that means a lot and I would be careful buying something “recommended” or “practical” that you don’t enjoy owning and driving.
Last edited by Kenkat on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
steadyeddy
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: The Alps of the Midwest

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by steadyeddy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:02 pm

If you buy and hold vehicles (and the fact that you’re driving a 2007 says that you do), then I think it’s important to let emotions play a sizable role in your decision. You clearly love the Maxima, so don’t let strangers on the internet tell you that you shouldn’t drive what you love for the next 10-15 years.

arf30
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by arf30 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Definitely not a sporty car - it's a big, heavy pillow on wheels with a CVT and front wheel drive. Less reliable and worse resale than Honda and Toyota. Wouldn't be on my list of cars to own, but you should test drive and make your own decision.
Last edited by arf30 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:07 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:02 pm
If you buy and hold vehicles (and the fact that you’re driving a 2007 says that you do), then I think it’s important to let emotions play a sizable role in your decision. You clearly love the Maxima, so don’t let strangers on the internet tell you that you shouldn’t drive what you love for the next 10-15 years.
By all means. But think about whether the '19 Maxima will still look good to you in 10 years. To me the '07 Maxima still looks good. The '19 IMO is a mashup of styling cliches and won't age well aesthetically. But that's of course very much a matter of taste.

Soundwall
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:54 pm
Location: Ca

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Soundwall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm

OP. Go test drive the new maxima. See how it rides, shift, turns, and stops. Personally do not feel sporty with a cvt.

AgentOrange
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by AgentOrange » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 am

steadyeddy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:02 pm
If you buy and hold vehicles (and the fact that you’re driving a 2007 says that you do), then I think it’s important to let emotions play a sizable role in your decision. You clearly love the Maxima, so don’t let strangers on the internet tell you that you shouldn’t drive what you love for the next 10-15 years.
More or less what I was going to write, but I agree with "...don’t let strangers on the internet tell you that you shouldn’t drive what you love for the next 10-15 years."

Any number of people are only too willing to tell you why you can't "do X", "be X", "buy X".
There's more to life than reliability and resale value.

Afty
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Afty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am

I was/am a Nissan fan, but I wouldn't buy a Maxima these days for all the reasons stated in this thread. If I were in the market for a sporty 4-door, I would look at the following:
VW GTI
Honda Civic Si or Type R
Honda Accord 2.0T
Kia Stinger
Genesis G70

If you really want to stay with Nissan, I would buy an Infiniti Q50 over a Maxima.

dsmclone
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by dsmclone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am

Do I think a loaded 2019 Maxima is worth $40k...nope

Do I think a loaded 2019 maxima is worth $34k---possibly

People keep talking about sticker price but you're going to get a lot bigger discount on the Maxima than you will with an Accord or Camry. Just a quick look on some Maxima forums show discounts in the $6-$8k range.

an_asker
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by an_asker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am
Do I think a loaded 2019 Maxima is worth $40k...nope

Do I think a loaded 2019 maxima is worth $34k---possibly

People keep talking about sticker price but you're going to get a lot bigger discount on the Maxima than you will with an Accord or Camry. Just a quick look on some Maxima forums show discounts in the $6-$8k range.
This might not be exactly on topic, but what the heck!

We had the same experience a few years back (and I have said this on other threads as well). I really wanted to purchase a Camry but Toyota dealer refused to budge on the price. The Altima was at such a significant discount to the MSRP that it was a tad more than a Corolla. Needless to say, we went with the Altima!

dsmclone
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by dsmclone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:26 pm

an_asker wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 am
dsmclone wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am
Do I think a loaded 2019 Maxima is worth $40k...nope

Do I think a loaded 2019 maxima is worth $34k---possibly

People keep talking about sticker price but you're going to get a lot bigger discount on the Maxima than you will with an Accord or Camry. Just a quick look on some Maxima forums show discounts in the $6-$8k range.
This might not be exactly on topic, but what the heck!

We had the same experience a few years back (and I have said this on other threads as well). I really wanted to purchase a Camry but Toyota dealer refused to budge on the price. The Altima was at such a significant discount to the MSRP that it was a tad more than a Corolla. Needless to say, we went with the Altima!
I think this happens a lot, some people have such brand loyalty that they completely write off other makes/models. I'm probably this way with Asian Vs. American brands but I've had enough cars to know that one model doesn't make a complete lineup. A perfect example of this is the Toyota Sequoia, probably one of the worst vehicles in its class but it has a Toyota name on it so people assume it's great. Another one is nearly all the Acura cars, people assume they are great because they are the luxury version of Honda but in reality they just haven't had a competitive sedan in probably a decade.

UALflyer
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by UALflyer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 pm
I also know some people that had issues with the CVT in late 2000 era Altimas, so overall I don’t feel Nissan quality is quite there compared to other brands.
Unfortunately, all automakers have had their share of high profile, embarrassing and expensive issues.

Honda: https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... o-persist/
2017 and 2018 Honda CRV engine problems: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/
Acura (a luxury Honda): https://www.creechimport.com/common-problems-acura-mdx/
Toyota and Lexus: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/ ... ement.html

This is the reason that you should never be buying a car based solely on the reputation of its brand.

Freefun
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Freefun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm

I tried to by a new maxima about 5 years ago - I liked the design but they were asking 45k. I learned by accident I could get an Infiniti g35 for around 40k. Seemed silly since they were based on the same chassis and the g35 has better warranty and service.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Atilla
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Atilla » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Maxima's CVT transmission is a deal killer. Get a 2 year old Infiniti Q70 with either all-wheel or rear wheel drive.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

lazydavid
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 am

Freefun wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm
I tried to by a new maxima about 5 years ago - I liked the design but they were asking 45k. I learned by accident I could get an Infiniti g35 for around 40k. Seemed silly since they were based on the same chassis and the g35 has better warranty and service.
They are not based on the same chassis. The Maxima is based on the Nissan D platform, which is a transverse-mounted engine, FWD platform. It is shared with the Altima and Murano. The G35/G37/Q50/Q60 are based on the FM (Front Midship) platform, which is a longitudinally-mounted engine, RWD platform. It is shared with the Skyline and older GT-R models, while the newer GT-Rs are based off of a revised version called PM (Premium Midship).

I agree with your conclusion that the Infinitis are a better choice for those with sporting intentions, with the awareness that the G35/G37/Q50 are dramatically smaller than the Maxima.

Freefun
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Freefun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:47 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 am
Freefun wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm
I tried to by a new maxima about 5 years ago - I liked the design but they were asking 45k. I learned by accident I could get an Infiniti g35 for around 40k. Seemed silly since they were based on the same chassis and the g35 has better warranty and service.
They are not based on the same chassis. The Maxima is based on the Nissan D platform, which is a transverse-mounted engine, FWD platform. It is shared with the Altima and Murano. The G35/G37/Q50/Q60 are based on the FM (Front Midship) platform, which is a longitudinally-mounted engine, RWD platform. It is shared with the Skyline and older GT-R models, while the newer GT-Rs are based off of a revised version called PM (Premium Midship).

I agree with your conclusion that the Infinitis are a better choice for those with sporting intentions, with the awareness that the G35/G37/Q50 are dramatically smaller than the Maxima.
Thanks for the clarification!

I managed to save 5-10k by getting the g35 instead of the maxima and obtained more advantages through a luxury car dealer. Didn’t understand Nissan pricing but wasn’t complaining.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

User avatar
monkey_business
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by monkey_business » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

Afty wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am
I was/am a Nissan fan, but I wouldn't buy a Maxima these days for all the reasons stated in this thread. If I were in the market for a sporty 4-door, I would look at the following:
VW GTI
Honda Civic Si or Type R
Honda Accord 2.0T
Kia Stinger
Genesis G70

If you really want to stay with Nissan, I would buy an Infiniti Q50 over a Maxima.
I don't get the recommendation for the Accord. I test drove a 2.0T Accord Touring. It was a perfectly comfortable family sedan. Actually, for me it wasn't even comfortable because the hard plastic center console dug into my knee. Nonetheless, the word "sport" never entered my mind when driving it. The other cars are good suggestions though.

alfaspider
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 am

Afty wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am
I was/am a Nissan fan, but I wouldn't buy a Maxima these days for all the reasons stated in this thread. If I were in the market for a sporty 4-door, I would look at the following:
VW GTI
Honda Civic Si or Type R
Honda Accord 2.0T
Kia Stinger
Genesis G70

If you really want to stay with Nissan, I would buy an Infiniti Q50 over a Maxima.
I'd also consider: VW Golf R/Audi S3 (same basic car), WRX STI, Tesla 3 Performance.

User avatar
queso
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by queso » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am

Thoughts on new Maxima?

Sure, my thoughts are that if any of the other cars listed above are even in the ballpark of what a Maxima costs I'd get any of them over the Maxima. :happy

Spirit Rider
Posts: 11932
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:08 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 pm
I also know some people that had issues with the CVT in late 2000 era Altimas, so overall I don’t feel Nissan quality is quite there compared to other brands.
Unfortunately, all automakers have had their share of high profile, embarrassing and expensive issues.

Honda: https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... o-persist/
2017 and 2018 Honda CRV engine problems: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/
Acura (a luxury Honda): https://www.creechimport.com/common-problems-acura-mdx/
Toyota and Lexus: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/ ... ement.html

This is the reason that you should never be buying a car based solely on the reputation of its brand.
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.

I'm not on the Toyota/Honda bandwagon, but the fact remains that on average Nissan and Maxima are far inferior to their more reliable competition.

UALflyer
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by UALflyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there. It really surprises me how many people end up paying close attention to this particular metric, which causes them to end up with very unpleasant surprises and/or causes them to pay more than necessary for cars that aren't nearly as nice.

The "total reliability of a brand" is particularly misleading for luxury brands (but is quite misleading for the non-luxury brands as well), many of which make rock solid, fun and reliable vehicles with a relatively low total cost of ownership, but also have certain options and product lines that are extremely trouble prone, which affects the "total reliability of a brand" figure. After all, if you are considering a Vehicle A with certain options, you care about that particular vehicle's depreciation, reliability, etc... You don't care if a differently equipped Vehicle A isn't as reliable, as you don't have those trouble prone options on your vehicle. Likewise, you don't care if a Vehicle B made by the same manufacturer isn't reliable, as it doesn't affect the reliability of your Vehicle A.

By the way, widespread engine and transmission issues shown in the above links go to the very heart of reliability. I have absolutely nothing against Honda and Toyota, which make both very reliable and not so reliable vehicles, but find it sad when people paying a premium for a Toyota or a Honda based solely on their perception of the brand and without looking into the specific years, models and options only to encounter significant problems down the road.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 11932
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
Next time you go off on a rant, it might at least be based on what I actually said that you even quoted.

UALflyer
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by UALflyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
Next time you go off on a rant, it might at least be based on what I actually said that you even quoted.
Right, and my response is based on what you actually said. You used the term "brand/model" as if they are interchangeable, and then purported to compare "Toyota/Honda" to "Nissan and Maxima." Once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Honda and Toyota, but you are attempting to draw a comparison based on things that make absolutely no practical difference to people.

Further, as I explained above, even comparisons of a single model are misleading, as, for instance, a model that has problematic options does not tell you anything about the reliability of the same model without the same options. Likewise, every manufacturer out there has had certain years of a particular model that have had problems, while other years have been largely problem-free. Hence, the reason that proper vehicle buying is more nuanced than just buying a certain brand or even a certain model.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
I disagree. Nissan is generally not in the same ballpark as Toyota for build quality. It's not just a few anecdotes but statistics. Sure it's a generalization to lump all models together but it's a valuable metric and a major reason why American Automakers are giving up making small cars. It's also a big part of brand image/loyalty which is one of the most important factors in car buying.
If you did a psychological study asking the first word that comes to mind with Nissan (junk?) and Toyota (#1 reliable?) it is somewhat a marketing strategy but it works and you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 11932
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
Next time you go off on a rant, it might at least be based on what I actually said that you even quoted.
Right, and my response is based on what you actually said. You used the term "brand/model" as if they are interchangeable, and then purported to compare "Toyota/Honda" to "Nissan and Maxima.
Sigh...

Brand -> Model -> Trim are conventional delineations for motor vehicles. The construct brand/model clearly describes an hierarchy delineation. I can't help it if you think brands and models are interchangeable.

User avatar
monkey_business
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by monkey_business » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
I disagree. Nissan is generally not in the same ballpark as Toyota for build quality. It's not just a few anecdotes but statistics. Sure it's a generalization to lump all models together but it's a valuable metric and a major reason why American Automakers are giving up making small cars. It's also a big part of brand image/loyalty which is one of the most important factors in car buying.
If you did a psychological study asking the first word that comes to mind with Nissan (junk?) and Toyota (#1 reliable?) it is somewhat a marketing strategy but it works and you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.
I agree. Furthermore, when we are talking about the reliability of new cars, we are making predictions based on data for older models. No one knows for sure what the long-term reliability is of any new car, simply and obviously, because we do not have long-term data. Then, when we do have long-term data, the car is no longer for sale, new from the manufacturer. It's always a bit of a gamble.

For example, is the 2019 Toyota Camry going to be reliable? Truth: we don't know. Probability of being reliable: very high because the Camry has nearly always been one of the most reliable cars on the road.

UALflyer
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by UALflyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 pm

monkey_business wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Furthermore, when we are talking about the reliability of new cars, we are making predictions based on data for older models.
For new cars, I agree, except that isn't what I am talking about.

If the only information that's available is the overall reliability of a particular brand and/or of a particular model, then you have no choice but to only use this information. My point is that even for brand new cars significantly more information is always available. For starters, you should never assume that just because a particular brand has generally been reliable in the past, that every model of that brand was reliable. Even if you are looking at the previous reliability of a particular model, you have to ensure that you are looking at an apples to apples comparison. This is the reason, for instance, that many of us avoid buying models in the first year of a major redesign, as the previous reliability data for the model is no longer applicable, as it is very common for the manufacturers to take a year or two to iron out the kinks in each model.

Further, certain options have been trouble prone in every model made just about every manufacturer out there. Air suspensions, for instance, have always been a weak point for all manufacturers, so the fact that you may be buying a Lexus, which, as a manufacturer, is generally thought of making reliable vehicles, does not mean that your air suspension will be reliable.

I don't think that any of this is particularly controversial.
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.
Precisely. For certain models, years and options, the premium is well justified, while in quite a few other cases you're simply paying for the name. You just won't know the difference without looking into the details of each model, year and options.

an_asker
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by an_asker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 pm
There is a big difference between the total reliability ratings of a car brand/model and cherry picking some specific problems.
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
Next time you go off on a rant, it might at least be based on what I actually said that you even quoted.
You are right. He should have quoted the following portion of the same post from you which names only the brands and not the models ;-)
I'm not on the Toyota/Honda bandwagon, but the fact remains that on average Nissan and Maxima are far inferior to their more reliable competition.

an_asker
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by an_asker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
I disagree. Nissan is generally not in the same ballpark as Toyota for build quality. It's not just a few anecdotes but statistics. Sure it's a generalization to lump all models together but it's a valuable metric and a major reason why American Automakers are giving up making small cars. It's also a big part of brand image/loyalty which is one of the most important factors in car buying.
If you did a psychological study asking the first word that comes to mind with Nissan (junk?) and Toyota (#1 reliable?) it is somewhat a marketing strategy but it works and you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.
I had asked this question a couple of years (or maybe more now!) on this very forum:

is it better to buy a $20,000 car that lasts 20 years vs. a $15,000 car that lasts 15 years (or some such - I don't recall my exact question but feel free to search)?

And maybe I didn't phrase it well enough because the answers went off in a different direction from where I intended. What I was trying to get at is similar to what we're discussing on this thread. Are you better off paying a premium for the Hondas and the Toyotas which - I concede - generally last longer and are generally more reliable than, say, Nissans? Or are you better off with the latter because you can purchase a new car earlier than you would've with the former - and for the same overall total cost?

FireSekr
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by FireSekr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am

monkey_business wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
I disagree. Nissan is generally not in the same ballpark as Toyota for build quality. It's not just a few anecdotes but statistics. Sure it's a generalization to lump all models together but it's a valuable metric and a major reason why American Automakers are giving up making small cars. It's also a big part of brand image/loyalty which is one of the most important factors in car buying.
If you did a psychological study asking the first word that comes to mind with Nissan (junk?) and Toyota (#1 reliable?) it is somewhat a marketing strategy but it works and you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.
For example, is the 2019 Toyota Camry going to be reliable? Truth: we don't know. Probability of being reliable: very high because the Camry has nearly always been one of the most reliable cars on the road.
To be fair the only time you can predict reliability as you suggest is when the new model has many of the same components as the older model.

Toyota is fairly predictable as they’ve used the same engines and transmissions for 30 years. They don’t innovate and are happy using inferior outdated technology for longer than any other brand because making large improvements may compromise quality. There is nothing wrong with this approach if your prime focus is relatability, but if you look at other brands with faster development cycles and more innovative technology, the predicted reliability isn’t as convincing. Honda is constantly improving their engine technology and now they have the oil dilution issue. Meanwhile Toyota just released a new Camry and it has the same 30 year old engine and transmission that the old Camry had so I’d assume that it will be reliable.

sschoe2
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:40 am

I watch Scotty Kilmer on Youtube and trust him and he trashes later model Nissans since the Renault merger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_r_OuJU-w

bubbadog
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by bubbadog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:54 am

I rented a 2018 Maxima last week and drove it about 700 miles.

I did not like the car at all.

There are many other cars in this segment that are likely better overall values.

User avatar
monkey_business
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by monkey_business » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:09 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am
monkey_business wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 pm
The "total reliability of a brand" is one of the most meaningless metrics out there.
I disagree. Nissan is generally not in the same ballpark as Toyota for build quality. It's not just a few anecdotes but statistics. Sure it's a generalization to lump all models together but it's a valuable metric and a major reason why American Automakers are giving up making small cars. It's also a big part of brand image/loyalty which is one of the most important factors in car buying.
If you did a psychological study asking the first word that comes to mind with Nissan (junk?) and Toyota (#1 reliable?) it is somewhat a marketing strategy but it works and you now find Toyota charges a significant premium over Nissan for equivalent models.
For example, is the 2019 Toyota Camry going to be reliable? Truth: we don't know. Probability of being reliable: very high because the Camry has nearly always been one of the most reliable cars on the road.
To be fair the only time you can predict reliability as you suggest is when the new model has many of the same components as the older model.

Toyota is fairly predictable as they’ve used the same engines and transmissions for 30 years. They don’t innovate and are happy using inferior outdated technology for longer than any other brand because making large improvements may compromise quality. There is nothing wrong with this approach if your prime focus is relatability, but if you look at other brands with faster development cycles and more innovative technology, the predicted reliability isn’t as convincing. Honda is constantly improving their engine technology and now they have the oil dilution issue. Meanwhile Toyota just released a new Camry and it has the same 30 year old engine and transmission that the old Camry had so I’d assume that it will be reliable.
30 years ago, the Camry had 115-157hp depending on the number of cylinders. Where can I buy a 1989 Camry with 300hp and an 8 speed? Saying they use 30 year old tech is just silly. Toyota is definitely conservative, with longer component life cycles, but they are not all that behind, if at all.

For example:
2019 Camry - 203hp I4 28/39 mpg, 301hp V6 22/32mpg
2019 Accord - 192hp turbo I4 30/38 mpg, 252hp turbo I4 22/32 mpg

Comparable fuel economy and performance, but the Toyota has dual injected NA engines, while the Honda has turbo direct injected engines with oil dilution problems.

I would also dispute that Honda is always improving. They released the first ILX with a 5-speed auto transmission... in 2012. They have been using their K series 2.4L NA engine for over a decade. They practically didn't make a 6+ speed auto until 2010, and have frequently had problems with auto transmissions when paired to their V6 engines. The current crop of Acuras is a joke, and has been since 2009, with the exception of the 2019 RDX.

FoolStreet
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by FoolStreet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:28 pm

AtlantaP wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 pm
I used to consider this a large, boring, grown-up sedan but the current model (and upcoming 2019 version) are so sporty and beautiful! Considering trading in my 2007 Altima for one, wondering if anyone has one or has any thoughts on the model. I've seen a lot of great comments on Honda's and Toyota's and would love thoughts/advice on this particular car.
I suggest the Tesla Model 3 instead. Sporty and no more gas!

andypanda
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Thoughts on the new Maxima?

Post by andypanda » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 am

I don't know if the Tesla 3 is sporty, but it reminds me of a Dodge Neon.

I've always preferred Toyotas or Subarus to Datsuns/Nissans (owned a '75 & '78 Datsun B210), but I bought my aunt and uncle an end-of-the-model-year 2016 Altima 2.5 SV and it's been perfect for 2 years. I'm impressed that they've had zero issues with it. They're in their mid-80s and don't drive as much as they used to, but they're still living 10 miles from town and racking up some good mileage.

I was surprised by the deep, deep discount on the car and the large trade in they negotiated on their 10-year-old Altima with 100k miles on it. Maybe it was because the salesman was his cousin. I wasn't involved; I just showed up to write the check. (Hey, this is the uncle who gave me a Marlin 39-A Mountie .22 for my birthday in 1963 and used to give me cherry bombs when my father wasn't looking. He could have bought his own car, but I wanted to.)

Post Reply