Pre Cruise Ft Lauderdale Hotel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dh

Pre Cruise Ft Lauderdale Hotel

Post by dh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 pm

One of my goals for myself and SO is to spend a bit more money on experiences. We decided to take a cruise. In looking at options, it appears it would be best to fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stay overnight to make certain we are on time. Could any of you recommend a hotel that would be clean, convenient (close to the boarding area), and reasonably priced (we want to spend on experience, not necessarily an overpriced hotel).

Wishing everyone well in 2019!

David Jay

Re: Pre Cruise Ft Lauderdale Hotel

Post by David Jay » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Any hotel in the Area of the airport. The airport and the cruise terminal are within a couple of miles of each other.

Lots of other people have the same idea, so the night before departure of the large cruise ships hotel rooms are scarce, book early.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:30 pm

You can book a room for the night before through the cruise line.

It is likely to be on the higher-end, cost speaking. But the cost will include the transfer from the hotel to the cruise port.

Consider booking the room through the cruise line so you have one guaranteed. Just make sure you can cancel it if you find one on your own.

We did a cruise out of Tampa in prime season and ended up using the cruise line’s hotel because we could find nothing convenient that wasn’t booked full.

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Last time, we stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th Street. There is a Total Wine store quite close. Shuttle to cruise terminal (not free). Next time I might stay there or one of the other hotels in the area, depending on free nights, points+cash, etc. I would prefer to stay across from the beach.

A few years ago we spent a few days in Ft Lauderdale -- and having arrived in Miami, I got a rental car and was able to return it to the 17th street office; and free shuttle to cruise terminal. Small office; call to make arrangements so you will know when to arrive.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:30 pm

It is likely to be on the higher-end, cost speaking. But the cost will include the transfer from the hotel to the cruise port.

Consider booking the room through the cruise line so you have one guaranteed. Just make sure you can cancel it if you find one on your own.

We did a cruise out of Tampa in prime season and ended up using the cruise line’s hotel because we could find nothing convenient that wasn’t booked full.
Before booking the hotel through the cruise line, check the pricing, including for the same hotel.
The cruise lines usually charge for the hotel costs "per person", without regard for whether one is sharing or not.
So especially for 2 or more passengers, it could be considerably less expensive to book directly with the hotel (same or similar, or totally different).
Taking a taxi to the ship, especially if not a single person in the taxi, and if the hotel isn't far from the ship, probably wouldn't cost much at all if you are already in the port area.
And you won't have to wait for lots of other people to board the bus, which can be aggravating at times, although at least there shouldn't be much of a deadline if you are first boarding at the start of the cruise.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm

dh wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 pm
One of my goals for myself and SO is to spend a bit more money on experiences. We decided to take a cruise. In looking at options, it appears it would be best to fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stay overnight to make certain we are on time. Could any of you recommend a hotel that would be clean, convenient (close to the boarding area), and reasonably priced (we want to spend on experience, not necessarily an overpriced hotel).

I haven't cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale, but I suggest you find out when you will be able to board the ship and get into your room. It may be late enough in the day that you should plan to do something earlier in the day. In my experience, cruise ships will disembark all the previous cruise's passengers in the morning, then the cleaning crew has to turn over the entire ship, and the new crop of passengers board in the mid to late afternoon.

Therefore, It might make better sense to find a hotel convenient to what you want to see during the day so that it is easy return to your hotel, pick up your luggage and get a taxi over to the cruise ship terminal. I expect any hotels near the cruise ship terminal will be "overpriced" for this convenience.

If you want an experience, you could also look to see if there are any interesting B&Bs (traditional or AirBnB) rather than a chain hotel.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 pm

On our first couple of cruises out of Fort Lauderdale, we would arrive a day early but found it too much of a hassle. Load and unload luggage twice, shuttle from airport to hotel, shuttle from hotel to cruise port, taxi to restaurant for dinner, and crowded hotel. So now we just catch an early flight to Fort Lauderdale since ships don't leave until 4 pm. This would save us a day and some cash. Early flights have less chance of being delayed because you wouldn't have to wait for a flight to come in to have a plane.

TravelforFun

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm

On our last cruise from that port, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Ft Lauderdale. It's off of 95 and only like one exit away from the airport and cruise terminal. Price was reasonable, and it's across the street from a shopping area to allow you to pick up supplies and get dinner. Hotel actually has a shuttle to bring you back and forth from the shopping area as well, but our family prefers to walk. Pool is pretty nice as well. Pretty popular with cruisers.

Totally agree with arriving the night before the cruise, takes some of the stress out of things. On our very first cruise, we actually saw someone on the pier who arrived late ( after they pulled the walkways back but before the ship departed). They were not allowed to board, so presumably they had to get a flight to the first port and board there? In any event, my goal was to never be that family....

Enjoy the trip!

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 pm
delamer wrote:

Before booking the hotel through the cruise line, check the pricing, including for the same hotel.
The cruise lines usually charge for the hotel costs "per person", without regard for whether one is sharing or not.
So especially for 2 or more passengers, it could be considerably less expensive to book directly with the hotel (same or similar, or totally different).
Taking a taxi to the ship, especially if not a single person in the taxi, and if the hotel isn't far from the ship, probably wouldn't cost much at all if you are already in the port area.
And you won't have to wait for lots of other people to board the bus, which can be aggravating at times, although at least there shouldn't be much of a deadline if you are first boarding at the start of the cruise.

RM
My point was that the cruise line will have reserved a block of rooms and you can be sure to get one if you book through the line.

If you can find something else that is cheaper (even at the same hotel) that meets your needs, of course do it.

But if you waited too long — as happened to us — then cheaper might not be an option.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Can't remember which one we stayed at in Dania Beach which is close to the airport and the port. There is probably every chain represented. Suggest you go to TripAdvisior and search for hotels in Dania Beach. Most if not all have free shuttle to the port.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

dh wrote:

dh:

Check with the cruise line. They will probably suggest a nice hotel/motel with reasonable rates and offer free transportation to the ship. (We returned from a Bahama cruise this morning)

Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 pm

I've stayed at Homewood Suites and most recently Hotel Morrison in FLL area. Both had shuttles from the airport to the hotel. They both also offer a shuttle to Port Everglades. I didn't use them as I was sailing from Port Miami and booked my own private shuttle.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 pm
delamer wrote:

RM
My point was that the cruise line will have reserved a block of rooms and you can be sure to get one if you book through the line.

If you can find something else that is cheaper (even at the same hotel) that meets your needs, of course do it.

But if you waited too long — as happened to us — then cheaper might not be an option.
Well, if there is nothing else left, then of course... but with all the hotels in the area, unless it is something like New Year's Eve (and probably not even then), there should be something.

What we do is as soon as we are within a 6-12 months of the cruise date, we book a hotel of our choice, with a fully refundable rate.
Then we watch, and as the date gets closer, and we have paid in full (i.e., we are definitely going), we start looking for a lower rate. For our cruise at the end of November, from Miami, we stayed at the Intercontinental, with a great view of the port area. About 3 weeks before departure, we noticed a price that was about half of the refundable rate we had. We booked the non-refundable, and charged it, and then cancelled the refundable one. (We just used one of our names for the first, and the other name for the second, but I doubt that there would be a problem with the same name, if done so quickly - and maybe not at all, as some people do book two or more rooms, etc.)

We *always* arrive at least one day in advance, lest there be some delays...

RM

GaryEsq

Post by GaryEsq » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 pm

I had a return flight get cancelled 2 years ago and ended up staying at the Crown Plaza/Ft Lauderdale airport on SE 24th St (Rte 84). Was a decent place and pretty reasonable as I recall.
And if you have some time on your return grab a pizza at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on S. Federal Hwy. I've had some pretty good pizza in my day and this is up there with the best!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 pm

We've stayed at the Marriott Resort twice. I can't say I'd spend more than a night there but it is one of the closest hotels to the airport and cruise port that is still on the barrier island which makes for a nice walk in the morning before heading to the cruise port. One downside is there aren't a lot of dining establishments nearby except what's in the hotel.

The Renaissance and Embassy Suites are closer to the airport and cruise port plus have a few "fast food" dining establishments nearby (Chipotle, 5 Guys) but you aren't on the barrier island.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:50 pm

Being west coasters, we have to go to eastern cruise ports the day before.

We dont think high end hotels are worth it for a precruise night. So contrary to my agent's advice we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cruiseport before a recent cruise out of FLL.

It was fine. Clean room, nice bed, several restaurants within a block. Shuttle to the ship the next day at the time I requested -- $6 each, if I recall. It did the job, for a reasonable rate.

For Miami, we like the Airport Crowne Plaza. Taxi to the ship there.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Embassy Suites on 17th I believe.

10 minutes from the port and a great hotel.

Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:47 pm

You will get lots of hotel advice at Cruise Critic’s Florida Departures board.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/3 ... epartures/

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 pm

The Hyatt Place in Dania, FL had a large contingent of cruisers taking the hotel’s shuttle bus to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise terminal when we stayed there at the beginning of this month. Shuttle towed a trailer for all of the luggage the cruisers were taking along. We resolved to give it a try ourselves.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 pm

sawdust60 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 pm
Last time, we stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th Street. There is a Total Wine store quite close. Shuttle to cruise terminal (not free). Next time I might stay there or one of the other hotels in the area, depending on free nights, points+cash, etc. I would prefer to stay across from the beach.

A few years ago we spent a few days in Ft Lauderdale -- and having arrived in Miami, I got a rental car and was able to return it to the 17th street office; and free shuttle to cruise terminal. Small office; call to make arrangements so you will know when to arrive.
Why does it matter that there is a Total Wine store?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:01 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 pm
On our first couple of cruises out of Fort Lauderdale, we would arrive a day early but found it too much of a hassle. Load and unload luggage twice, shuttle from airport to hotel, shuttle from hotel to cruise port, taxi to restaurant for dinner, and crowded hotel. So now we just catch an early flight to Fort Lauderdale since ships don't leave until 4 pm. This would save us a day and some cash. Early flights have less chance of being delayed because you wouldn't have to wait for a flight to come in to have a plane.

TravelforFun
Almost everyone has to connect to get to Fort Lauderdale, and that's way too much risk, no matter what time you leave in the morning. You need to arrive a day before. Yes, the first flight is less likely to be delayed, because probably the aircraft will definitely be at your airport, although if there's a mechanical problem, you're probably stuck waiting for the airline to fly in another aircraft, and there goes your connection. The main issue is that unlike many years ago, many flights are full or over-full now, so there may be zero possibility of getting an alternate flight if something happens to yours.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 pm
sawdust60 wrote:

Some of us like to bring wine on board, and Total Wine has good prices.
At least in the Miami Beach store, one can call ahead and have the bottles waiting so you can just run in while a taxi waits, en route to the ship.

RM

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:03 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:01 pm
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
Almost everyone has to connect to get to Fort Lauderdale, and that's way too much risk, no matter what time you leave in the morning. You need to arrive a day before. Yes, the first flight is less likely to be delayed, because probably the aircraft will definitely be at your airport, although if there's a mechanical problem, you're probably stuck waiting for the airline to fly in another aircraft, and there goes your connection.
No connections for us since our airport hubs are DFW and DAL.

TravelforFun

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 pm

tibbitts wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
Almost everyone has to connect to get to Fort Lauderdale, and that's way too much risk, no matter what time you leave in the morning. You need to arrive a day before. Yes, the first flight is less likely to be delayed, because probably the aircraft will definitely be at your airport, although if there's a mechanical problem, you're probably stuck waiting for the airline to fly in another aircraft, and there goes your connection. The main issue is that unlike many years ago, many flights are full or over-full now, so there may be zero possibility of getting an alternate flight if something happens to yours.
That isn’t true for many on the east coast. There are lots of direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale.

We are flying early on the day that our cruise departs next month. This is the first time we’ve tried it.

I’ll report back. :)

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm
tibbitts wrote:
sawdust60 wrote:

At least in the Miami Beach store, one can call ahead and have the bottles waiting so you can just run in while a taxi waits, en route to the ship.

RM
At least all the ships I've been on in the past two years (NCL) have banned any substantial-sized liquids, similar to airlines, sealed or otherwise. I always used to bring my own beverages (fairly large quantities, although non-alchoholic) and was very disappointed when the policy changed. And yes they've searched even checked bags. I guess you could hide your wine in a bunch of little shampoo bottles. :-) Actually the cruise line gives out lots of wine bottles, so if you aren't fussy, I'm sure there are plenty of people on board who will give you theirs. I've always given mine away. I'm not sure but I think the cruise line will charge if they open the wine for you, so make sure to bring tools if you need them.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:13 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
sawdust60 wrote:

RM
At least all the ships I've been on in the past two years (NCL) have banned any liquids, similar to airlines, sealed or otherwise. I always used to bring my own beverages (fairly large quantities, although non-alchoholic) and was very disappointed when the policy changed. I guess you could hide your wine in a bunch of little shampoo bottles. :-) Actually the cruise line gives out lots of wine bottles, so if you aren't fussy, I'm sure there are plenty of people on board who will give you theirs. I've always given mine away. I'm not sure but I think the cruise line will charge if they open the wine for you, so make sure to bring tools if you need them.
Actually, I believe NCL still does allow two bottles of wine (with a corkage fee paid upon boarding), but not other beverages.
(So if you want to smuggle favorite beverages, just pour the Diet Coke into a wine bottle <joke alert, as this is sort of backwards from days past>.)

On some lines, there is only a corkage fee in public areas, but no charge if you consume your own "beverage of choice" in your own cabin.

There is quite a variability here.

RM

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:53 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:13 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
sawdust60 wrote:

RM
At least all the ships I've been on in the past two years (NCL) have banned any liquids, similar to airlines, sealed or otherwise. I always used to bring my own beverages (fairly large quantities, although non-alchoholic) and was very disappointed when the policy changed. I guess you could hide your wine in a bunch of little shampoo bottles. :-) Actually the cruise line gives out lots of wine bottles, so if you aren't fussy, I'm sure there are plenty of people on board who will give you theirs. I've always given mine away. I'm not sure but I think the cruise line will charge if they open the wine for you, so make sure to bring tools if you need them.
Actually, I believe NCL still does allow two bottles of wine (with a corkage fee paid upon boarding), but not other beverages.
(So if you want to smuggle favorite beverages, just pour the Diet Coke into a wine bottle <joke alert, as this is sort of backwards from days past>.)

On some lines, there is only a corkage fee in public areas, but no charge if you consume your own "beverage of choice" in your own cabin.

There is quite a variability here.

RM
Wow that got me to thinking until I realized that was $30 per 1.6qts of Coke Zero! Plus the price of Coke Zero! Ouch!

Actually so far security hasn't chosen to intervene when I've brought Coke from a vending machine (like a 20oz bottle) back on board with me at a port, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they do. I haven't tried a can. Obviously they can see these items on the x-ray so they must be choosing to ignore them.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 pm

dh wrote:

I reckon this hotel problem will be an experience. When you travel all these little things are the experience. Not the zip line on the ship. In fact the hotel problem is more real life than any experience you will have on the ship, which is mostly related to contrived fun.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm

tibbitts wrote:
...Why does it matter that there is a Total Wine store?
Cruising and boozing, checko...
:)
Attempted new signature...

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:52 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm
tibbitts wrote:
...Why does it matter that there is a Total Wine store?
Cruising and boozing, checko...
:)
Yes, I had assumed that wine would be banned along with soft drinks, but apparently not true. I do which the cruise line would provide a choice of non-alcoholic beverages for the freebies they hand out.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Embassy Suites on 17th.......5 minutes from port...great hotel, free happy hr and omelette chef in the morning (also free)

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:16 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
sawdust60 wrote:

RM
I'd still suggest checking with the specific cruise line for what liquids are allowed and what fees if any would apply. Rules might have changed since some of the earlier posts.

fh2000

Post by fh2000 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 pm

tibbitts wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
We have done redeye flights twice from LAX to FLL to catch a cruise. They fly from 9:30PM in LAX and land around 4AM in FLL. One time, the flight got delayed for 3 hours. We still land at around 7AM in FLL. If there is longer delay, I may have to file a Trip Interruption/Trip Delay claim from my Chase CC, but it has not happened yet.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm

TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
for what it's worth, clark howard vehemently disagrees with this. always arrive the day before -- if something happens that ship ain't gonna wait on ya.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:29 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
for what it's worth, clark howard vehemently disagrees with this. always arrive the day before -- if something happens that ship ain't gonna wait on ya.
Assuming they fly to the port city, virtually everyone has to connect, and these days if you miss your connection you could be stuck for days. Sometimes weather is the issue or some other airport closure problem that could affect multiple airlines, so even a backup reservation might not help you.

As for early flights they're more likely to get you to your destination, but getting up at 3am gets me in a bad mood to start my trip. Not worth the cost savings.

bmr12

Post by bmr12 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Lots and lots of hotels to choose from because the cruise port, airport, and beach are all within a few miles of one another. I prefer to stay on the beach for the night before and have enjoyed staying at the Courtyard at the south end of the beach as a less-expensive beach choice and a Marriott-flagged property.

Since everything is so close together, it’s also quite easy to get around with a rental car, ride-share, or a cab.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 pm

I was faced with deciding whether to go a day early or not recently for a cruise at the end of November. Flying from Chicago, there are dozens of direct flights to S FL daily. However, the overriding factor was where our first port of call is. It is Aruba. Not exactly close or cheap to get to if we were to miss the ship in FL. We opted to go a day ahead viewing it as insurance and a relaxing beach day. I still haven't picked a place to stay but am taking the suggestions listed to heart.