Best bet for streaming YouTube TV on my TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Best bet for streaming YouTube TV on my TV?

Post by catdude »

Howdy y'all,

I recently jettisoned my cable TV service, and I'm very happy that I did so. I'm cable-TV free!! It's a nice feeling.

Now for the next steps... I have a subscription to YouTube TV, and I've been streaming that on my iPad and phone. It's pretty cool. But I want to stream to my TV too. What's my best option for doing so? Apple TV (given that it's an Apple product) is pretty damn expensive. Maybe Roku instead? If so, which Roku product should I get? Or is there yet another option that I should consider? Let me know what y'all think...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
02nz

Re: Best bet for streaming YouTube TV on my TV?

Post by 02nz »

Chromcast is probably cheapest, but you’ll still need to use your phone to control it, unlike a a Roku. I have Roku and like it (for other services). The pricier Rokus have faster processing and a better experience.
HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA »

catdude wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 am Howdy y'all,

I recently jettisoned my cable TV service, and I'm very happy that I did so. I'm cable-TV free!! It's a nice feeling.

Now for the next steps... I have a subscription to YouTube TV, and I've been streaming that on my iPad and phone. It's pretty cool. But I want to stream to my TV too. What's my best option for doing so? Apple TV (given that it's an Apple product) is pretty damn expensive. Maybe Roku instead? If so, which Roku product should I get? Or is there yet another option that I should consider? Let me know what y'all think...
Either Roku streaming stick+ or ultra, both have remotes that can control the TV power and volume which is convenient. Stick is WiFi only, Ultra can be wired directly to a router if needed but also has WiFi. I use both with youtube TV and they work great.
Bimmer

Post by Bimmer »

I’m using Roku streaming stick on two TV’s in my home for YouTube TV, and very happy with it. Easy to set up, Roku remote is simple and controls TV and all apps, so no need for TV remote. Great interface for Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu as well.
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Roku Streaming Stick
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I have a Roku Streaming Stick (NOT a Streaming Stick+). It's pretty great. As mentioned above, it can turn the TV on/off and control the volume which is a nice plus. It's "only" 1080p so if you want higher resolution, you need the +. The Roku user interface is excellent.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

Roku. Get one with the better remote that controls tv on/off and volume.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Roku Ultra, keep an eye out for sales.
Bought 2 for 48 vs 99 bucks.
Excellent product.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

OK, thanks folks for your feedback... I will get a Roku streaming stick and see how that works out.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

i stream using chromecast and can stream from either my phone or my chromebook or pc
BL

Post by BL »

I have been using Amazon Fire Stick. Pretty cheap, especially on special sale days ($25). Roku should be fine as well. Haven't used my old one for a while.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

BL wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am I have been using Amazon Fire Stick. Pretty cheap, especially on special sale days ($25). Roku should be fine as well. Haven't used my old one for a while.
Unfortunately there is no YouTube TV app for any of the Fire TV products. Google and Amazon do not play nicely together (intentionally). If the OP wants to use YouTube TV, best bet would be a Roku, Apple TV or Android TV device, or get a Chromecast and use with phone.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I use my Tivo OTA box, which includes a YouTube app in the selection of apps it offers, to watch YouTube. I assume from what I see that it would support subscription YouTube.
I got my Tivo several years ago after someone on BH mentioned that they have occasional sales. I set up an alert and was eventually rewarded with notification of a sale, which included a lifetime* subscription along with the equipment. Noticed that they have halved the monthly subscription rate for the OTA box (as compared to the box that supports cable) and that the all-in service is available again. Tivo may be more than you want to spend, but I am hooked.

* Lifetime = lifetime of the equipment, not the owner.
b4real

Post by b4real »

My TV has the youtube tv app. It's controlled with the TV remote. The TV also has apps for youtube, netflix, amazon prime, and vudu all controlled with the TV remote. I also have a chromecast device on the TV but rarely use it.
Northster

Post by Northster »

If you care, I have heard that smart TVs are notorious for tallying everything you watch and selling it to the highest bidder(s). I use Roku which seems to have a better privacy setting. But would be interested if others have more information on this.
BL

Post by BL »

noraz123 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:54 am
BL wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am I have been using Amazon Fire Stick. Pretty cheap, especially on special sale days ($25). Roku should be fine as well. Haven't used my old one for a while.
Unfortunately there is no YouTube TV app for any of the Fire TV products. Google and Amazon do not play nicely together (intentionally). If the OP wants to use YouTube TV, best bet would be a Roku, Apple TV or Android TV device, or get a Chromecast and use with phone.
Actually, there is a You Tube app. " Works with: Fire TV Remote and Game Controller". I haven't used it; don't quite understand
"download
you own it"
whether that is a charge or not, and I haven't cared to buy anything extra at this time.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ditto Chromecast.
Stream via phone works for me.
Samsung TV.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Northster wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 am If you care, I have heard that smart TVs are notorious for tallying everything you watch and selling it to the highest bidder(s). I use Roku which seems to have a better privacy setting. But would be interested if others have more information on this.
Roku's rock. When my Roku fails (or gets old) I can replace it and keep using my current TV, if the functionality were built into it (like a SmartTV), I'd have to replace the entire TV when the technology fails or gets outdated.
Its nice to have the setup modular.
I have a Roku 3 now....at some point will upgrade it, but has worked great for years. Using it this minute. :happy
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

F150HD wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 am Roku's rock. When my Roku fails (or gets old) I can replace it and keep using my current TV, if the functionality were built into it (like a SmartTV), I'd have to replace the entire TV when the technology fails or gets outdated.
Its nice to have the setup modular.
I have a Roku 3 now....at some point will upgrade it, but has worked great for years. Using it this minute. :happy
We have two Samsung smart TVs with all the major streaming apps we need built-in and Chromecasts for other needs. So far so good (we bought in April 2015). We also have an older Roku box for our small guest room TV. If and when the Smart TVs develop aging problems (apps stop working), we will simply buy the latest generation of a streaming box or stick available at that time. We don’t necessarily have to replace the entire TV. The Smart TV can also be a dumb TV (though, granted, we probably paid a bit more for this config).
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

Nvidia shield TV is another option to look at. The one without game controller was on sale at amazon.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Roku Streaming Stick meets all of my streaming needs.
lws

Post by lws »

I use my Sony DVD player to access Netflix , You Tube, etc.
Works fine.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

lws wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 pm I use my Sony DVD player to access Netflix , You Tube, etc.
Works fine.
My Panasonic Blu-Ray player has a bunch of apps, including YouTube. But after a few years the Panasonic Vieracast system on my unit would not support the newer version of the YouTube app. The danger of counting on the more expensive pieces of equipment to provide the apps you want: Sorry, this model is no longer accepting software upgrades.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

GerryL wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:47 pm
lws wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 pm I use my Sony DVD player to access Netflix , You Tube, etc.
Works fine.
My Panasonic Blu-Ray player has a bunch of apps, including YouTube. But after a few years the Panasonic Vieracast system on my unit would not support the newer version of the YouTube app. The danger of counting on the more expensive pieces of equipment to provide the apps you want: Sorry, this model is no longer accepting software upgrades.
Note that YouTube is different from YouTube TV. I would agree that even if you did have a TV or Blu-Ray player that supports YouTube TV, you would be in danger of losing updates since they would come from the manufacturer rather than Google. On AppleTV and Roku, Google is updating the YouTube TV app on a regular and frequent basis.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I have YTTV and a Roku and Chromecast. The Roku interface is clunky compared to just using your phone and casting YTTV via chromecast. The ultimate is using Google home + chromecast + YTTV and just saying "Hey Google, play ESPN". It turns on the TV and tunes it to ESPN on YTTV. You can control the volume through google home as well.
Don't do something, just stand there!
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

Bimmer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 am I’m using Roku streaming stick on two TV’s in my home for YouTube TV, and very happy with it. Easy to set up, Roku remote is simple and controls TV and all apps, so no need for TV remote. Great interface for Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu as well.
+1 .. Roku on all my TVs, and 2 of them are actual Roku TV's which is even better, just one remote and simple interface
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
drk

Post by drk »

BL wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 am Actually, there is a You Tube app. " Works with: Fire TV Remote and Game Controller". I haven't used it; don't quite understand
"download
you own it"
whether that is a charge or not, and I haven't cared to buy anything extra at this time.
That app is just a wrapper around Silk (Amazon's web browser) and just shows you YouTube.com.
BL

Post by BL »

drk wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm
BL wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 am Actually, there is a You Tube app. " Works with: Fire TV Remote and Game Controller". I haven't used it; don't quite understand
"download
you own it"
That app is just a wrapper around Silk (Amazon's web browser) and just shows you YouTube.com.
Thanks.