Porting Landline # to Google Voice On The Cheap

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tidelandp

Porting Landline # to Google Voice On The Cheap

Post by tidelandp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Ting is offering a GSM SIM card plus $30 service credit for $9.99 through select stores. Better pricing is available at Microcenter ($2.49) and Best Buy ($4.99). Here are details at Microcenter, https://www.microcenter.com/product/512 ... ice-credit.

Inspired by this site, I recently moved my home phone service from cable company to Google Voice + Obi. To keep the #, I temporarily ported it to Ting as an additional line, using an old cellphone.

Only customers new to Ting qualify for the $30 credit. Existing customers are better served ordering card from Ting for $1 plus shipping, as I did.

Saving$

Re: Porting Landline # to Google Voice On The Cheap

Post by Saving$ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Google search offers several links on the process of porting from a LL to GV, but they offer slightly different instructions.
What link is the best current guide for porting a landline to Google Voice?

Topic Author
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm
Google search offers several links on the process of porting from a LL to GV, but they offer slightly different instructions.
What link is the best current guide for porting a landline to Google Voice?
I have found Obi and Google Voice to have the most timely and helpful information, through their guides as well as community forums.

To start, try https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial and https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:50 am

I recently ported a landline to Google Voice. I don't recall using a guide.

It's basically a two-step process. Google Voice only accepts porting from cell phone numbers, so you first have to port your landline to a cell phone, THEN port the now-cell phone number to Google Voice.

The way I did this was by bringing an old but still functional phone to a local storefront of my cell phone company and asking to port my landline to the cell phone, opting into the cheapest (prepaid) plan they offered. They actually messed it up and I had to go back a couple of times to get it straightened out, but once I confirmed that the number had been properly ported to my (old) cell phone I logged into Google and started the process of porting the number to Google Voice.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:50 am

I did this a couple of months ago and used T-Mobile. A SIM was $9.99 and I had to buy a small amount of air time.

danaht

Post by danaht » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:17 pm

+1 for porting to T-Mobile first. You can buy a used T-Mobile phone for $10 (if you don't have one) and get a pre-paid sim for it for $10. Then just transfer your land line number to the T-Mobile (pay as you go account). Once your number is transferred to T-Mobile - then you can start the google voice transfer.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Google Voice has ZERO numbers left in my area. I checked 3 area codes plus adjoining states. A bummer

Topic Author
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 pm
Google Voice has ZERO numbers left in my area. I checked 3 area codes plus adjoining states. A bummer
If you’d prefer specific area codes, check back periodically. I understand numbers can become available as they’re abandoned by users. For porting landline #, the GV # you get is largely irrelevant as it’s just a placeholder for landline.

bhjjk19

Post by bhjjk19 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Is porting my landline phone number to a cell phone really necessary if my landline is really internet based to begin with ?

Explanation:

My landline was Verizon, but many years ago when I signed up with the Comcast/Spectrum TV/Internet/Phone bundle, my phone became voice over internet as opposed to directly from Verizon.

Can I not just have my phone number ported from Comcast/Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) ?

Topic Author
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:03 pm

bhjjk19 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm
Is porting my landline phone number to a cell phone really necessary if my landline is really internet based to begin with ?

Explanation:

My landline was Verizon, but many years ago when I signed up with the Comcast/Spectrum TV/Internet/Phone bundle, my phone became voice over internet as opposed to directly from Verizon.

Can I not just have my phone number ported from Comcast/Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) ?
I was in your situation prior to porting. My home phone service was with a cable provider. Yours is not a cellphone # so would have to undergo two step process.

bhjjk19

Post by bhjjk19 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

That is a disappointment. Would the same apply if I went with Ooma Telo ?

Topic Author
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:02 pm

You'll note from Google Voice link above, "Corporate, landline, Internet-based (VoIP), and some other numbers can't be transferred." I'm not familiar with Ooma. My guess is you'd be able to port # directly. The two-step process is due to GV's restriction.

Taz

Post by Taz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

bhjjk19 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm
That is a disappointment. Would the same apply if I went with Ooma Telo ?
Yes. I used a cheap TracFone to move my ooma home number. It took 2 or 3 days and hours on the phone with the TracFone CSR. There are instructions on the internet such as to use the Ooma company address as your billing address.

I wouldn't tell TracFone that you plan on switching to Google Voice while you are in the process. :D
The destination matters.

chw

Post by chw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 pm

So what is the point/benefit of having Google Voice? I have a cell phone plan, and use Ooma for cheap international calls.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm

chw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 pm
So what is the point/benefit of having Google Voice? I have a cell phone plan, and use Ooma for cheap international calls.
Chw, google voice allows for landline numbers to be ported, before the landline is terminated, one cannot port a non-active landline to google voice.

It also can have multiple numbers call to a single number, ie your office number can be forwarded to your cell, your home can be forwarded to cell.

I used google voice call number when Hurricane Sandy damaged my office to pass out to co-workers and customers.

Also I have a local area code outside of my primary residential area for my vacation home, so local service folks, ie contractors can return my calls, they think I live in the area.
Last edited by retire2022 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chw

Post by chw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm
chw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 pm
Chw, google voice allows for landline numbers to be ported, before the landline is terminated, one cannot port a non-active landline to google voice.

It also can have multiple numbers call to a single number, ie your office number can be forwarded to your cell, your home can be forwarded to cell.

I used google voice call number when Hurricane damaged my office to pass out to co-workers and customers.

Also I have a local area code outside of my primary residential area for my vacation home, so local service folks, ie contractors can return my calls, think I live in the area.
Do you know if Google Voice offers cheap international calling? If so, I would consider getting rid of Ooma, but otherwise would probably not utilize it. Is Google voice used as a totally free landline for those that use it?

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 pm

chw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Do you know if Google Voice offers cheap international calling? If so, I would consider getting rid of Ooma, but otherwise would probably not utilize it. Is Google voice used as a totally free landline for those that use it?
Yes Google Voice is totally free in USA which uses computer server to call a landline.

I have a friend who lives in Italy whom ported the landline (NYC area code) to cellphone and has google voice setup on the Italian cell service. My calls did not incurs charges to my account.

For my other relatives in Canada we communicate on Google Voice for a family meeting where my mother and her siblings communicated via Google Hang out Video.

I find Skype, Viber (free calls to Hong Kong, Thailand) Whatsapp worthy of consideration and it depends on the majority of your friends which chooses the respective services.

Additionally if you want to be on extreme budget, you could get rid of the cell phone and go with iPad mini, or IPod touch and just receive all your cell calls on Google Voice and call them back. I find alot of younger people don't answer their cellphones anyway, might as well go that way. The trade off is you need to be near free Wifi to receive a call.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 pm

chw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:08 am

tidelandp wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 pm
If you’d prefer specific area codes, check back periodically. I understand numbers can become available as they’re abandoned by users. For porting landline #, the GV # you get is largely irrelevant as it’s just a placeholder for landline.
I checked back a few times in the same day, and got my area code after being told none were available earlier in the day. In fact when I finally got one, I was given a choice of a few numbers.

Did not want the hassle to port a landline to mobile, then again. And besides, get many robocalls on the landline anyway. I had pretty much shut off the ringer and used only outbound anyway.