Ticket for speeding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
topcatin

Ticket for speeding

Post by topcatin » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 am

Hi,

Is there a use in hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket in a school zone? Before everyone jumps on me for speeding in a school zone :) , this was a right turn into a new road (school zone) and we were unaware of the area and saw this sign. It was around 2 pm in the afternoon. Anyway is it worth it to hire a lawyer for this? This is for my spouse who has had no tickets but I had a speeding fine couple of years back and was given "Prayer of Judgement" by the Judge. So does this mean, if my spouse appears on her own, she cannot use "Prayer of Judgement"? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Watty

Re: Ticket for speeding

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:42 am

topcatin wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 am
Before everyone jumps on me for speeding in a school zone , this was a right turn into a new road (school zone) and we were unaware of the area and saw this sign. It was around 2 pm in the afternoon.
Regardless of what you do about the ticket this might be a wakeup call that you may be driving too aggressively or you were distracted while driving, I see that a lot when I am driving.

People drive through areas they are not familiar with all the time and manage to follow the safety laws.

If you are older AARP has safe driving courses for older drivers and you do not need to be a member to take the course.

camden

Post by camden » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 am

Had to research what a “Prayer for Judgement” was. If the wiki is correct, it is specific to the state of North Carolina, and can be used twice per household in a five year span.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 am

topcatin wrote:
Hi,

Is there a use in hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket in a school zone? Before everyone jumps on me for speeding in a school zone :) , this was a right turn into a new road (school zone) and we were unaware of the area and saw this sign. It was around 2 pm in the afternoon. Anyway is it worth it to hire a lawyer for this? This is for my spouse who has had no tickets but I had a speeding fine couple of years back and was given "Prayer of Judgement" by the Judge. So does this mean, if my spouse appears on her own, she cannot use "Prayer of Judgement"? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
The school zone thing is a tough rap. I wouldn't hire a lawyer, but my default is to always challenge the speeding ticket. If the cop doesn't show, or the judge has a good hair day, you win. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine. I would also definitely challenge if there are points involved. The two tickets I challenged I had points and fine dismissed after I just showed up (no attorney).

Good luck.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to health care industrial complex

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 am

topcatin wrote:
Is there a use in hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket in a school zone?
Assuming you were actually speeding in a properly-posted school zone, no. Not seeing the sign in time to slow down is not a viable defense.

I successfully defended my wife once when she received a ticket for turning right on red at an intersection with a "No turn on red 8-4 school days" sign on a day when all the nearby schools had recently dismissed for the summer. (No summer school was in session yet, and the school a few hundred yards away literally had "Out for the summer" on its marquee.)

In her case, the defense was that she was not actually guilty of the infraction. :beer

Playing the courtroom lottery as TheDDC suggests is a reasonable approach. It depends on how much your time is worth and how much the ticket would cost you overall.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 am

I recommend you don't contest the ticket.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 am

In some jurisdictions, often small towns, the police do not report speeding tickets to insurance companies. If so, just pay it. Unless it was a large enough infraction to be charged as Reckless Driving or something similar, you can probably just pay the ticket without going to court. Your choice depending on the circumstances.

Tim

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:56 am

Always contest. It’s a gamble of court fees vs points on your license. There is also an app called Off The Record which will let you upload your ticket, have a lawyer fight it for you, and depending on the state if you lose you don’t pay anything. Haven’t personally used it but could be worth the shot.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:04 am

topcatin wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!
I'd use a lawyer. I use Mark Perry in Raleigh but you will need a local lawyer. I never have had to go to court, but I would if the lawyer recommended it.

It was probably a mistake for you to have used a Prayer for Judgement for a speeding ticket (depending on the details), a mistake that using a lawyer would have prevented. There are other ways to work around a speeding ticket. According to Mark, it is best to keep Prayers for Judgements in reserve for a binary charge like running a stop sign. But a speeding ticket in a school zone might be a special case, not sure.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:10 am

No idea what state you live in or the laws in your state but I find the judicial system reasonable to law-abiding citizens.
I once got a ticket for doing 35 in a 25 BUT the speed limit abruptly changed from 45 to 25 and I was in the process of slowing down - when I went in and explained that they dropped the ticket (and later added a new sign to the road) so I would suggest not bothering with a lawyer and simply going in and stating what happened (new road you turned onto and didn't realize you were turning onto a school zone until it was too late - maybe play that "Prayer" card whatever that is - funny - someone says its like a "get out of jail free" card in the state of NC).

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 am

The options vary by jurisdiction, of course, but in my city you could attend traffic school to avoid the points on your license. It would be one of the worst wastes of a Saturday morning in your life and you would still have to pay the ticket, but no points. As for going to court and hoping the cop doesn't show up, if it was a traffic cop, as opposed to some other sort of officer, he/she will show up, especially in winter. Think about it: Spend your day driving around in miserable weather, alone, looking for bad drivers, or sit in a warm courtroom drinking coffee all day with your traffic cop friends? So traffic cops do tend to show up. It's their job after all. Now if you were stopped by a sheriff's deputy, etc., that's a different matter.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:21 am

camden wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 am
Had to research what a “Prayer for Judgement” was. If the wiki is correct, it is specific to the state of North Carolina, and can be used twice per household in a five year span.
Wikipedia seems to be wrong:

"Since you only get one prayer for judgment every three years per insurance policy and two every five years for DMV purposes, you want to be very careful not to waste them."

https://www.kurtzandblum.com/traffic-at ... -a-lawyer/

I always use a lawyer. NC provides some complicated options.

All I ever have had to do is call a lawyer and mail a check. The savings from just not having to take off work and go to the court may cover the lawyer fee.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 am

Agree completely with tadamsmar. I've used a lawyer for every speeding ticket my wife and I received over the years (except one occasion when my lawyer told me exactly what to do with a ticket I received in another jurisdiction).

I think a lawyer who specializes in traffic cases is well worth their fee, at least in NC. The cost of the ticket is only one part of the experience - oftentimes the increase in your insurance premium makes the fines look like play money. Then there's the cumulative effect of the points if you get more than one ticket within a few years.

A good lawyer will walk you through the various scenarios and make the best recommendation based on your driving record and other factors. Since you mentioned the PJC, this makes me think you're in NC. If you happen to be in the Charlotte area and would like the name of a lawyer I know to be very good at this (from personal and family experience), PM me and I'll gladly send you her contact info.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am

in my state, if you show up to court and agree to plead guilty, they drop the charge by 1 degree. So if it was 1 point then dropto no points just a fine. They don't want to take up the judge's time having a trial for a ticket so it helps everyone out to plead guilty to a lesser charge, pay the fine and have it over with.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 am

Well, my anticipated answer was trumped by the NC posters. I would follow their recommendations--assuming you are in NC.

pennybags873

Post by pennybags873 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am
in my state, if you show up to court and agree to plead guilty, they drop the charge by 1 degree. So if it was 1 point then dropto no points just a fine. They don't want to take up the judge's time having a trial for a ticket so it helps everyone out to plead guilty to a lesser charge, pay the fine and have it over with.
I disagree completely.
It is everybodies Constitutional Right to a Trial and if it inconviences the Judge, so be it.
The real reason they reduce the charges is because the Town is able to keep ALL the Fine and not share any with the State.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 am

1. The lawyer will make his fee for services with no guarantee of success. He may delay and delay (cost and cost).
2. Odds are high that you will get the ticket, pay the fine, also insurance points.
3. Perhaps install a radar detector on your car. If anything, it is a reminder beeper.
4. However. You have a right to contest and you might succeed on it which is great.
Good luck.
j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

magicman

Post by magicman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 am

Take your lumps, pay the ticket and move on. It probably costs more to hire a lawyer than just paying the fine. Unless the cop doesn't appear or can't explain to the court how radar/lidar works, it's hard to win. However, maybe they can find you guilty and you pay the fine but the ticket gets dismissed after a certain time period as long as you have no new violations.

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 am

topcatin wrote:
Is there a use in hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket in a school zone? Before everyone jumps on me for speeding in a school zone :) , this was a right turn into a new road (school zone) and we were unaware of the area and saw this sign. It was around 2 pm in the afternoon. Anyway is it worth it to hire a lawyer for this?
I don't know how much the ticket is, but if you're talking a few hundred dollars or less I would just pay it and consider it a lesson learned. It would take a very expensive ticket before I would even consider hiring a lawyer.

I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was in college 30+ years ago, but you can usually get a reduction on the ticket just by showing up at court and explaining what happened. That doesn't mean you're right or wrong, but it shows you cared enough to take the time to explain the situation and not hire a lawyer because you couldn't be bothered.

Keep in mind you WERE speeding. If anything you should have been going slower in an unfamiliar area. Yeah, school zones can catch you off guard sometimes, but if it were your kids on that road I bet you would want cars to slow down also. I'm not judging, mistakes happen, just take responsibility for it and move on. Most people drive too fast and too aggressively these days. Be thankful it's just a ticket and that you didn't injure or kill someone.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 am

Do the math.

In my state, a lawyer typically will charge $700 for a speeding ticket appearance. The total of a fine plus insurance surcharges (they say it's free for the first offense, but then take away the safe driver credit which adds up to about $800 over the next years) will come out to some number. Figure it out, then decide from there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 am
1. The lawyer will make his fee for services with no guarantee of success. He may delay and delay (cost and cost).
2. Odds are high that you will get the ticket, pay the fine, also insurance points.
3. Perhaps install a radar detector on your car. If anything, it is a reminder beeper.
Good luck.
j
The last time I consulted with my NC traffic lawyer, he did not even charge me. It was a situation where I was involved in a 3 vehicle 14 person accident and I was not charged with a traffic violation. This is a serious matter in NC since you can end up being liable without a ticket if you are found to be even a fraction of a percent responsible for the accident. NC may have the most counterintuitive regulations in the nation.

At this point, a radar detector would be a good idea.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 am
Do the math.

In my state, a lawyer typically will charge $700 for a speeding ticket appearance. The total of a fine plus insurance surcharges (they say it's free for the first offense, but then take away the safe driver credit which adds up to about $800 over the next years) will come out to some number. Figure it out, then decide from there.
They are not that high in NC for speeding, but not sure about the rates in Charlotte.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 am

topcatin wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!
I once used one for $250 to get it dropped to a non-moving violation, saving immensely on insurance hikes. Can’t hurt to ask how they can help.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:37 am

If you are in NC, pay for the lawyer. Really depends on what County you are in. Some allow “improper equipment” pleas (you still pay the court cost but no insurance points), others do not - I think it is at the attorney general’s discretion. Even in jurisdictions that don’t allow improper equipment, you are basically assured a reduction in the charge if you contest it. In some Counties (e.g. Durham County) you can take a safe driving class instead of paying the fine. Again,consult with local attorney. Representation can cost as little as $50 for a improper equipment plea (just did one in Wilkes County.. :shock: .) as competition amongst “ticket chasing” lawyers is fierce.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:44 am

tadamsmar wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 am
Good luck.
j
The last time I consulted with my NC traffic lawyer, he did not even charge me. It was a situation where I was involved in a 3 vehicle 14 person accident and I was not charged with a traffic violation. This is a serious matter in NC since you can end up being liable without a ticket if you are found to be even a fraction of a percent responsible for the accident. NC may have the most counterintuitive regulations in the nation.

At this point, a radar detector would be a good idea.
Yes.
Agree.
I've had high end radar detectors since they were made and, if anything, the "readout" for "speed limit" (not always posted on the street where you need them) and constant display of my speed next to it is a great reminder to drive prudently. The police radar alerts are also a great reminder and keeps me alert not only for "radar threats" but my own driving style.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 am

They might be willing to change it to a non-moving violation. Pay the fine, but not points, not reporting to insurance company. Last I asked my insurance agent, a single speeding ticket will raise the premium $50 each 6 month period for 3 years, so an extra $300 if reported.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 am

Why is no one else mentioning the traffic school option? Usually costs the same as the ticket but avoids points and higher insurance premiums, so much cheaper than a lawyer. Is that not a widely available option?

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am

I am in Charlotte. ALWAYS use a lawyer. You'll pay the same amount upfront but the lingering aftereffects of your ticket will probably disappear with a competent attorney. I suspect the school zone plus your previous PFJ will complicate things for you and your lawyer will do some wizardry and most likely have it all worked out with you just writing a check. PM me for another recommendation if you're interested. And ignore the people who say to just pay it and move on. You made an innocent mistake with no victims and it's your right to get a better deal for yourself. Many of these zones around here seem designed more to extract cash than to protect and serve.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 am

The school zone thing is a tough rap. I wouldn't hire a lawyer, but my default is to always challenge the speeding ticket. If the cop doesn't show, or the judge has a good hair day, you win. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine. I would also definitely challenge if there are points involved. The two tickets I challenged I had points and fine dismissed after I just showed up (no attorney).

Good luck.

-TheDDC
The worst that can happen is you pay the fine AND they add court costs for showing up to court. It happens all the time.

If you did it and are an otherwise good driver, either pay the ticket, or plead guilty and ask the court clerk (outside of court) how to keep it off your record. Sometimes, they'll let you attend a class or do something simple to keep it off your record.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:26 pm

topcatin wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!
I think a traffic attorney can get your charge reduced to something less impactful to your driving record and insurance. My son was laid off from his job due to insurability issues related to his driving records. These charges were several years old. We hired a traffic attorney and he was able to get the charges reduced or taken off my son's record, including DMV. He also did this quickly and my son was back at work in two weeks. These attorneys know how to do this and can do wonders.

Given the seriousness of your charge, I would definitely get a good traffic attorney.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 pm

topcatin wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!
Gotta ask, was this via traffic cam? Was school in session? On a weekend? Did the sign say "When Children Are Present" or similar? It may make a huge difference how you go about it.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Tickets are entirely jurisdiction dependent. In California, you can take traffic school, and sometimes request night court. In NYC, you go to an administrative law process only, where the main role of a lawyer is to delay and reschedule in the hopes it gets dropped, as no plea bargaining is allowed. In my area, many courts will make the ticket a no-point violation so they can collect all the money and all you have to do is ask, but a few will not. In NC, it seems the lawyer is the way to go.

Also, reading the website linked above, https://www.kurtzandblum.com/traffic-at ... hool-zone/

The school zone section points out that school zone tickets are subject to argument that notice of the zone is adequate, which was mentioned by another poster. Also, performing community service may be required to do a prayer for judgment in NC, which is in and of itself a complicated issue about whether or not to use one. Also, noted in the link is that the state has a new law that toughened the penalties for school zone speeding tickets.
Last edited by rooms222 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Don't mean to be a creep OP, where you or your wife made the infraction will dramatically change the actions recommend on this forum.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Always, always plead not guilty, especially if you have a clean record (and then I wouldn't bother with a lawyer either).

They may very well toss the ticket or at minimum knock it to a non moving violation with no points. All they really want at the end of the day is the money. Show up in court dressed presentably (many others won't be), act like a decent person, observe the justice system in action for a couple hours, and you'll most likely walk away with something less then the initial citation.

If the ticket gets tossed or reduced to non-moving, then your record remains clean. Which is helpful should you receive another ticket ;) Or even better, if the cop runs your license roadside and sees it clean, he may very well just give you a verbal warning since you don't appear as a repeat offender.

Or don't contest it, get the fine, the points, the possible notification to insurance with increased premiums, and almost no chance of a subsequent ticket getting reduced.

In 21 years of driving all with at least one muscle car in the stable, I have gotten 3 citations and had a clean record at each occurrence. 77 in a 55 (an interstate where the limit became 65 a couple years later) knocked down to 56 in a 55 after court. Red light violation, it was bogus I was prepared to fight it on principle, but the judge dismissed it before I had to say a word. The 3rd instance I was laying into the throttle and wasn't clocked but the cop caught up to me and pulled me over, clean license gave me a non-moving speedometer ticket. And sprinkled in were about 4-5 other times pulled over and let go with a verbal because the record was clean.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:33 pm

When did this happen? Around here, school is still out for the Christmas holiday. If school is not in session, is the area in question legitimately a "school zone"?
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

nyjetfan

Post by nyjetfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Knowing where would help greatly. I had one in Wake County which was easily moved to an improper equipment and was able to find a lawyer who does traffic tickets for a flat fee of $99 (I was responsible for fines). He was able to get it reduced from speeding ticket to improper equipment which has a slightly larger fine than speeding but no points. All in it was about $350 with lawyer and court fees/fines but kept insurance points from being levied.

Here's an article about some of the requirements: Note: I have no relationship nor have I done business with the lawyer who wrote that article, and if you go the lawyer route do your own due diligence on who you hire.

https://wileynickel.com/raleigh-defense ... h-carolina

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:03 pm

I never understand this, "If you did it plead guilty" mentality. I would at the very least talk to a traffic specialist attorney and run your situation past them. There are number of firms in NC and I can almost guarantee that they don't charge $700 to handle the case. Many advertise much less than that.

erictiger

Post by erictiger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:15 pm

My daughter got a speeding ticket in Ohio last year when she was intern there. She hired a traffic lawyer for $110. She didn’t even go to the court. The lawyer appeared in court for her. After taking online class, the violation was not reported to insurance company, no point in her record either.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:11 pm

I would use a lawyer. Whatever fee you pay them (a few hundred bucks?) is well worth the chance of not getting that on your record. Keep in mind many prospective employers check your driving record as part of a background check.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:44 pm

I would at least investigate the traffic school option. I think many jurisdictions allow doing it online these days, lots easier than when I did it 20+ years ago. I had to spend a few hours on Saturday sitting in a room with other miscreants.

It was cheaper than a lawyer, which I know because I had to do that a short time later. I have had three tickets in over 50 years of driving, two within a month of each other.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Maybe I'm a schmuck, but when I get a traffic ticket and I'm guilty, I pay the fine and move on with my life. YMMV. 2 tickets in 20 years.

ryanpj

Post by ryanpj » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 pm

I got a speeding ticket in North Carolina once, I was perfectly willing to pay a fine but they didn't give me one, they gave me a summons to go to court in two months. As I was visiting I had no other choice than to hire a lawyer to deal with it, which I guess is a common racket for former prosecutors in rural North Carolina. He got my citation reduced to a non-moving violation, $400 dollars well spent in my opinion.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:01 pm

These are always so entertaining! I wonder how much the different opinions, knowledge, or lack there of actually helps the OP make a decision? :happy

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 pm

chevca wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:01 pm
These are always so entertaining! I wonder how much the different opinions, knowledge, or lack there of actually helps the OP make a decision? :happy
I think the OP has received an amazingly consistent amount of information from NC residents who have actual experience in this situation and legal environment. It is also very easy to spot & eliminate the very bad & naive recommendations. He should have no trouble making a highly informed decision unless he chooses to run down a host of rabbit trails.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:47 am

This is one of those "50 different states, 50 different answers" questions. And, NC may be the outlier state. Also, I learned from this thread that there are local differences even in NC.

The kicker is that the OP seems to indicate that they made a blunder by using their Prayer for Judgement Continued for an earlier speeding ticket because they did not use a lawyer. I think that may have been a pennywise pound-foolish decision now that they have a second violation within 3 years.

I once tried to figure out if you are liable for not clearing ice from your sidewalk after my office mate seemed to get screwed out of both workman's comp and short-term disability after a fall on ice near or in our loading dock area. I found that the 50 states have many different policies. In the south it's an act of God and you can't sue him or her. In some northern states, where God would close down street-level commerce for months, the responsibility shifts to the mortal owner of the property.

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:12 am

The tactic Ive used is call the DA and admit you were speeding but not going as fast as radar.
Then ask if you can plead guilty to a lessor speed.
I have done this twice and had fine reduced and also DA can move your case to the top of the docket.

Just be very positive and upbeat when having conversation with DA.

Good luck
Boat a Day

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:58 am

I am in NC, if you are in NC definitely get a lawyer. My youngest son got 2 speeding tickets within a few months. Yes, the car was taken away from him for a month. The first ticket he did the prayer for judgement and the driving class. On the second he was going to cost me major money on insurance and create a hassle for him going into the military. So I researched the lawyers in the county where the ticket was issued and contacted a highly rated lawyer. For court costs and a small fee he got the speeding ticket reduced to improper equipment with no points. Major savings and the only time in my life I was thankful for a lawyer!

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:53 am

I'm pretty frugal, but I've never fought a ticket where I knew I was at fault. You can't preach personal responsibility then try to weasel out of paying a fine you deserve.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:18 am

I would post this in /r/legaladvice. https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice There may be a discernible signal in the noise there, with some useful specific advice.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:53 am
I'm pretty frugal, but I've never fought a ticket where I knew I was at fault. You can't preach personal responsibility then try to weasel out of paying a fine you deserve.
This is what I mean by morality. You don't "deserve" anything. First understand is that the traffic system is a money generator for all jurisdictions and is heavily stacked against the citizen. Everyone, Constitutionally, is innocent until proven guilty.

This is a financial forum. The state, county, and/or municipality looks at this as a financial situation. You should too. If obtaining representation as you are legally and morally entitled to, to make the government do its Constitutional duty in court, makes financial sense, then you should do that. Not sit around worrying about what you deserve.

Not to mention that you won't likely "weasel out" of anything. Normally you pay more when a lawyer arranges a plea deal. In my case I ended with a parking ticket for like $80. I asked the lawyer if I parked in the Mayor's driveway or something. :)