AT&T Landline - what's considered "Long Distance"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyIJ

AT&T Landline - what's considered "Long Distance"

Post by LadyIJ »

I just got rid of "long distance" on my AT&T Landline which was $11 before taxes and almost $17 WITH. It took me 35 minutes after being transferred to 5 people. Yes, FIVE people. I am working on getting rid of the landline, but that that was a good start. Now how the heck do I find out what's within my calling area and not considered "long distance" without having to deal with another five people and another 35-40 minutes? anyone know of a quick way?
Nummerkins

Re: AT&T Landline - what's considered "Long Distance"

Post by Nummerkins »

Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

Wow, this is like a vintage post. I thought the days of caring about local or long distance were gone and that pretty much all calling plans now have unlimited local and lost distance calling, with international being the only metered service any more.
Steve
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Longdog wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:32 pm Wow, this is like a vintage post. I thought the days of caring about local or long distance were gone and that pretty much all calling plans now have unlimited local and lost distance calling, with international being the only metered service any more.
Nope. I still have unlimited local calls only.

local, regional, long distance, international

livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have local metered service, too. It's cheaper than unmetered local service.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by alter »

Get rid of AT&T as soon as possible and switch to a VOIP provider, something like Ooma where you are paying 6 dollars a month for unlimited calling in the US.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Another vote for Ooma. Long distance can be quite variable, I recall reading about someone posting that a phone call accross the street was long distance. I think you can check your local calling area here
https://www.usa.att.com/localcallingarea/index.jsp
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Do you have a cell phone? If so, dump the land line. I would do that except the way Verizon bundles stuff, it's cheaper to get triple play with unlimited long distance phone than just internet by itself. We have nothing plugged into the phone jack anymore.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Only 35 minutes and five people? You got off easy.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have not paid for long distance in over 20 years as this was bundled in. A couple of months ago we cancelled our home line and cut the cord to cable television. We are instead using mobile and Hulu live television.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

if you have internet, switch to a obihai device with google voice. total cost is either 0 or about $20 a year if you want 911 service.

pay to port your number if it is important.

(i had to port to a prepaid cell phone. i used att go. which then converts the number to a cell number, then you can port to google voice.)
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Verizon Digital Voice with FIOS has no such distinction for long distance.
Yep, OOMA or a similar VOIP product at a few dollars a month (or about $11 for premium with all sorts of features) is the way to go.
OOMA calls are free in the cont. US and Canada. Not sure about AK and HI.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

What is a “landline”?

Just kidding. I think what you’re looking for is called a LATA...I think. Google for a map of that within area code.
sigmadave_2000

Post by sigmadave_2000 »

Ooma has been working great for me; and call quality is better than when I had a landline. I have no idea how this company makes money. I pay like $5/month.
DorothyB

Post by DorothyB »

I switched to Ooma a few years ago. It is working fine. For me, in greater Houston area but not in city limits, there was one direction that long distance was only several miles away - just used my cell phone for all long distance pre-Ooma.
Howie

Post by Howie »

sigmadave_2000 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 am Ooma has been working great for me; and call quality is better than when I had a landline. I have no idea how this company makes money. I pay like $5/month.
And those of us who have been Ooma customers since early on in their history actually pay nothing per month (no monthly fee, no taxes, zilch).
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I use Google Voice with an Obihai digital adapter.

Free local and LD but no 911 unless you add it for a small fee.

I never get telemarketers or any unwanted calls.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I am guessing more than 20-25 miles but I live in the Midwest.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Your local phone company will have a map. No one here can answer that question for you.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

mhalley wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:25 pm Another vote for Ooma. Long distance can be quite variable, I recall reading about someone posting that a phone call accross the street was long distance. I think you can check your local calling area here
Excellent - thank you - just hated the thought of calling them Again to be on hold and transferred around. I WiLL check into getting comcast wifi for $20 a month plus tax unlimited calling Or OOMA. thanks all.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

A joke on an episode of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"....

A character called the phone company to question a bill for calls outside her local calling area. At the end of the call to her phone company, she was told that her call to them would incur a long distance charge since they were outside her local calling area. :oops:
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am A joke on an episode of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"....

A character called the phone company to question a bill for calls outside her local calling area. At the end of the call to her phone company, she was told that her call to them would incur a long distance charge since they were outside her local calling area. :oops:

That's what I was afraid of LOL! Saw the episode and the entire second season, and will now cut Amazon Prime before I get the rate hike when subscription expires!
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

LadyIJ wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 am
mhalley wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:25 pm Another vote for Ooma. Long distance can be quite variable, I recall reading about someone posting that a phone call accross the street was long distance. I think you can check your local calling area here
Excellent - thank you - just hated the thought of calling them Again to be on hold and transferred around. I WiLL check into getting comcast wifi for $20 a month plus tax unlimited calling Or OOMA. thanks all.
or googlevoice/obihai adapter