Nice jeans for work with lowest average cost of ownership

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jayjayc

Re: Nice jeans for work with lowest average cost of ownership

Post by jayjayc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:15 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 am
Uniqlo selvedge. $50/pair, $40 when on sale. Dark indigo wash, and holds up pretty well. Been basically alternating btwn two pairs for the last 3 years
+1 for Uniqlo. They also offer free hemming so you can get the perfect length on your jeans. Dark indiglo jeans with proper fit and you will look professional without appearing uptight.

drk

Post by drk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:31 pm

I wear Levi's 501 jeans to work, occasionally with button-up shirts. They're regularly offered on-sale, and you can get additional credit card or shopping portal rewards. I've never paid more than $35 for a pair.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I see some people only wash their jeans a few times a year?? For the nice jeans that I wear to work or social events, I dry clean them. Then they become everyday jeans that go in the wash on delicate with Woolite. Then they become yard jeans or home depot shopping jeans which go in the regular wash.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:28 pm

To extend the life of the jeans minimize how much they're dried in a machine dryer. The blue lint in the lint filter after each load is fabric that's no longer part of the jean.

I hang dry mine each time they're washed (on delicate).

skierrex

Post by skierrex » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:41 am

Duluth Flex Fire Hose Foreman Pants are more comfortable than any jeans I've tried.

I WASH AND DRY mine every 2 or 3 days.

They wear longer than any jeans I've tried.

They also look better than jeans.

They go on sale for 30% off.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:05 am

Dry cleaning or washing jeans on delicate cycle kind of misses the point of them being jeans. They look better and are more comfortable and when they’ve had a little wear. Most of us that work indoors have to let our washers and dryers wear our jeans out for us, because we don’t put enough wear into them ourselves by doing actual work.

Anyway. Wranglers at Tractor Supply Co. Actually, any clothes at Tractor Supply. Not the most stylish stuff, but sturdily made and reasonably priced. Total cost of ownership for clothes is definitely good there.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 am

My husband used to wear khakis and Kohls button downs when he was just an engineer, but he is a manager now and oddly enough, has to wear stylish jeans and shirts. The Kirkland brand was fine but not for flat bottomed men because the back pockets were big. They seem to have stopped carrying them and went with Lucky. They look ok. Can't comment on durability yet. Old school Levi's are good and can be had at a decent price directly from Levis with a coupon code and an online rebate site. I also like Polo. Thankfully, we have an outlet mall near us and can Polo during the sales. Otherwise, they wouldn't be worth it to me. Several of their things, especially belts, just do not hold up.

hotpancakes

Post by hotpancakes » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:10 am

Levi's can be great, but only buy them in-store. Their sizing is too inconsistent to purchase online.

Other than that, I'd recommend Bonobos (when on sale; their athletic fit is great, and is tapered for a clean look), Everlane, and Banana Republic (when on sale). You want a dark color in mid/regular-rise with a tapered leg. Modern stretch denim is much more comfortable, but doesn't last as long.

Also, buy some nice shoes. They're cheap in the long run and can make nice jeans look twice as good.

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:01 am

lee and wrangler? No.
If you dont know, just go to the gap or banana republic, or lucky or 7 and get a few pairs.
And get some decent loafers (cole haan , bass, gucci, ferragamo, or allen edmonds)

Topic Author
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 am

OP here with a friendly reminder that the original question was about cost of ownership ($$/years of service).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 am
OP here with a friendly reminder that the original question was about cost of ownership ($$/years of service).
Please tell me about the last 3 jeans you purchased, what you paid, how you washed them, how you wore them, and how long they lasted. Thanks!

BTW, I used to get jeans as gifts, so would that work for you? Do you consider a gift as zero cost to you?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:38 am
Another forum I review had a similar thread and overwhelmingly Lucky jeans were rated the highest. They were noted as the best combo of fashion, durability, comfort and price, provided you buy them on sale or find them at TJMaxx on the rack.

I do not own any Lucky but am going to try them.
Bought my 1st pair of Lucky Brand Jeans yesterday. Paid $25 at the score clearance. The fabric is stretchy, which makes it very comfortable to wear. I don't know the durability though. They have 6 different styles: slim, relaxed, vintage, etc.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:56 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
Jeans you don't wear because they aren't office appropriate or not flattering have a cost/use that is much higher than a pair of jeans you love that you wear everyday.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:59 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am
B4Xt3r wrote:
Please tell me about the last 3 jeans you purchased, what you paid, how you washed them, how you wore them, and how long they lasted. Thanks!

BTW, I used to get jeans as gifts, so would that work for you? Do you consider a gift as zero cost to you?
Exactly. This isn't really broadly measurable. There are too many factors. If you don't get them dirty, don't stress them and don't wash them, they might last forever. The cost of ownership of my jeans is like 200th down my list of expenses.

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:59 am
livesoft wrote:
B4Xt3r wrote:

Exactly. This isn't really broadly measurable. There are too many factors. If you don't get them dirty, don't stress them and don't wash them, they might last forever. The cost of ownership of my jeans is like 200th down my list of expenses.
I bought a pair of 7 for all mankind that were on sale at NordstromRack for 100 dollars. They are my only nice pair of jeans, literally. I own one other pair of jeans that would qualify as "working in the yard jeans." The 7's are still as good as new after 4 years of use.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:54 am

Jeans tend to be very durable. I'd focus on care methods. I don't worry too much about them fading. If you are worried about that, use Woolite Dark and wash them on delicate and hang them to dry. I don't wash them after every use unless I was sweating profusely or specifically got them dirty. You can freshen them by putting them in the dryer for a couple minutes with a dryer sheet. Some people put them in the freezer (to kill odors), but that is too much for me. Some people claim turning them inside for washing matters, but I don't bother.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:04 am

sambb wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:01 am
lee and wrangler? No.
If you dont know, just go to the gap or banana republic, or lucky or 7 and get a few pairs.
And get some decent loafers (cole haan , bass, gucci, ferragamo, or allen edmonds)

I’m shocked at all the love for Lee and Wrangler. I’m not a clothing snob. Most of our clothes are bought at JCPenney or TJMaxx/Marshall’s.

But no way am I wearing Wrangler or Lee.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:07 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:04 am
sambb wrote:
lee and wrangler? No.

I’m shocked at all the love for Lee and Wrangler. I’m not a clothing snob. Most of our clothes are bought at JCPenney or TJMaxx/Marshall’s.

I agree. I always get a kick out of fashion advice on Bogleheads :o

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:13 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
People can’t give you the answer you want because they can’t try them on for you.

You’re talking about a $40 item that lasts, with appropriate care, for years. I would argue that you’re better off going to the stores that sell the major mid market brands, trying them on, and picking something that fits well and looks good on you. In the long run, cost of ownership will be about the same for all, but if they don’t fit or don’t look good, then they won’t be worth whatever you pay for them.

drk

Post by drk » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
As phrased, that was a secondary consideration to "nice enough" for work. You should update your OP to specify a question.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32 am

"nice" jeans for going out if I need to look nice, 7 jeans
day to day, Carhart

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 am

stan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:12 am
Look at what brands and colors your bosses, colleagues and customers who have a body type similar to yours are wearing.
This is important. Dress as your bosses do. (Unless they take fashion tips from hip-hoppers.)

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 am
stan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:12 am
Look at what brands and colors your bosses, colleagues and customers who have a body type similar to yours are wearing.
This is important. Dress as your bosses do. (Unless they take fashion tips from hip-hoppers.)
I'd further add that if your bosses are wearing $200 hipster jeans and you are wearing $8 tractor jeans please don't come back to complain about age discrimination if you are laid off. No guarantees, but evaluate your risks carefully.

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Mr. JC Pennys, Arizona Jeans orginal straight leg.

Comfortable
Affordable
holdup

Topic Author
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
livesoft wrote:
B4Xt3r wrote:

The last pair of jeans I bought was from Carhartt, and I roughly estimate that they cost me roughly $0.04/hour to wear.

(Maybe you're not aware...it is always an option to not post if (1) don't have anything to add to the discussion, or (2) don't feel like its a topic discussion.)

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:12 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:07 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:04 am
sambb wrote:
lee and wrangler? No.

I agree. I always get a kick out of fashion advice on Bogleheads :o
Also agree. They remind me of grandpa jeans.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
livesoft wrote:
B4Xt3r wrote:

The last pair of jeans I bought was from Carhartt, and I roughly estimate that they cost me roughly $0.04/hour to wear.

(Maybe you're not aware...it is always an option to not post if (1) don't have anything to add to the discussion, or (2) don't feel like its a topic discussion.)
Saying there is no practical answer is adding to the discussion in my opinion. I noticed in 77 posts you were the only person that really responded with a number on cost of ownership. Since this is apparently supposed to be from an engineering perspective I have some questions:

How many hours did you wear them between washes?
Did you wash them yourself or have them dry cleaned?
If you washed them yourself, did you include the cost of the detergent, water, electricity and/or gas?
What is the cost per killowatt/hr in your area?
Did you have the jeans shortened? What was the cost?
On a scale of 1 to 10, what level of activity (from least to most) would you say the jeans endured?
What is the cost per 100 cubic feet of water in your area?
What is the cost of natural gas per therm in your area?
Were any repairs required for the jeans over their life and what was the cost of those?
At what rate did you value your time when washing the jeans?
Did you buy the jeans on sale or did you use MSRP? Did you add the time spent buying them into the cost?
On a scale of 1 to 10, what level of dirt did the jeans come in contact with?
What constitutes the end of the life for the jeans?

Horton

Post by Horton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
livesoft wrote:
B4Xt3r wrote:

I’ll take the bait. I bought a pair of Levi’s a little over 2 years ago for $34. I wear them about once per week to work. Let’s call it 12 hours per day. That’s less than $0.03 per hour. And, they are still going strong.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:57 am

If low cost is what you want, generic Dockers-style with high polyester content are the cheapest, last years longer than you would want, and are generally accepted as appropriate-looking for engineers. I never considered them comfortable enough or safe enough for working with electrostatic-sensitive devices.
I think the U. Michigan football coach favored a Walmart version while coaching pro football.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:49 am

Cost of ownership is only one side of the equation.

Return on investment is the other.

What positive return have you gotten on wearing your jeans, and how does it differ by brand?

For example: By wearing fashionable jeans at work my coworkers have higher confidence in my interpersonal skills, leading to better reviews of my job performance and a higher year end bonus.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:49 am
Cost of ownership is only one side of the equation.

Return on investment is the other.

What positive return have you gotten on wearing your jeans, and how does it differ by brand?

For example: By wearing fashionable jeans at work my coworkers have higher confidence in my interpersonal skills, leading to better reviews of my job performance and a higher year end bonus.
Please list the brand of fashionable jeans. Want to give it a try. I use Levi’s 511.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 am

LiveSimple wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 am
Walmart has Wrangler jeans for $5, during the thanksgiving sale.
+1

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

Jackbnimble wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 am
If you have a Rural King anywhere near you, their jeans are $8.99 and fit me nicely. They have RK on the tag and you can make up your own french name for them.
+1, great jeans that certainly meet the OP's requirements.
I do also like/wear Diamond Gusset jeans which are made in the USA, but are $50-65. If you want a different leg length they will hem them for you if you are ordering two or more pair.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 am

goodlifer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 am
My husband used to wear khakis and Kohls button downs when he was just an engineer, but he is a manager now and oddly enough, has to wear stylish jeans and shirts.
It's not his move to management - Khakis have essentially gone out of style in the workplace being replaced by nice jeans. (Some engineers still wear them not realizing they are out of style). I have several khakis I'm holding in case they come back :)

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 am

6Pack wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:02 am
Carhartt. I’ve had them for years and their clothes holds up very well. Not sure how their pricing stacks up, but their stuff lasts for years.
"Rats, cockroaches, Duluth Trading, and Carhartt clothing."--nuclear war survivors.

For looks, I always go with Levi's, Eddie Bauer, or something very similar. Rotating multiple pairs is a great idea. Some people go even further with is and instead of washing every 2-3 wears, they DRY CLEAN. I can see that for some expensive designer jeans, but I can't really justify the expense for what I buy.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:22 am

American Eagle dark wash flex fit are super comfortable ( stretchy), and inexpensive. Regular price is around $40-$50 but there are always sales going on. You should be able to pick up a pair for around $30. They are stylish, young looking, and will last you a long time.

Topic Author
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:46 am

:sharebeer
Horton wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 pm
B4Xt3r wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
livesoft wrote:
B4Xt3r wrote:

I’ll take the bait. I bought a pair of Levi’s a little over 2 years ago for $34. I wear them about once per week to work. Let’s call it 12 hours per day. That’s less than $0.03 per hour. And, they are still going strong.
Thanks! 80ish posts in and your we've got 2 answers.

(Also, there is no bait. There is just me asking a question about how to consume a particular consumable in the cheapest way possible. My question is quite analogous to many other threads.)

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:46 am

(Also, there is no bait. There is just me asking a question about how to consume a particular consumable in the cheapest way possible. My question is quite analogous to many other threads.)
You share the blame in getting only 2 answers in 80 posts.
Several people have asked for additional information necessary to give a thoughtful response and you've completely ignored them.

Besides, did you really think you'd get more than a few responses when asking for the cost per hour of various jeans?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 am

researcher wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 am
B4Xt3r wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:46 am

You share the blame in getting only 2 answers in 80 posts.
Several people have asked for additional information necessary to give a thoughtful response and you've completely ignored them.

Besides, did you really think you'd get more than a few responses when asking for the cost per hour of various jeans?
Also - I saw more than two folks that answered the question - they just didn't provide the calculations. OP: maybe next time say "please only respond if you have calculations".
I've got a recommendation but will withhold it since I don't know precisely when I bought them nor precisely how many times I've washed them.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 pm

I am also an engineer, and we could wear jeans on Fridays. I am comfortable with Wrangler jeans from Walmart for years. The only problem I have is that no brand has the size of 36 in wide / 28 in long, so I pay $10 somewhere to get the 29 long reduced to 28.

Topic Author
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:47 pm

I bought some Duluth trading company jeans, we'll see how well they last.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:56 pm

I stopped following this thread. Did anybody sell their old jeans and use that in the calculation? How about deducting the donation of old jeans to charity on one's tax return?

Make your jeans work for you.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:56 pm
I stopped following this thread. Did anybody sell their old jeans and use that in the calculation? How about deducting the donation of old jeans to charity on one's tax return?

As someone who buys used jeans at Goodwill...Why not do both? Donate your jeans to charity and then buy them the next week for $5.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Sounds like a wash sale to me. Maybe wait more than 30 days ....

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Jeans seem to be one of those consumer products that folks are somehow inclined to grossly overpay for based on some emotional tie to brand or status. I'm currently wearing a $5 Goodwill find that I wear to school on Fridays with my spirit gear. My wife has a knack for bargain hunting, too so my "nice" jeans are usually never more than $20.

I agree with livesoft, cost of ownership should be focused on cars and other big ticket items. Jeans are just a question of how much you are willing to pay for a certain feeling or perception (whether real or not) or wear something decent to pass off and make you feel comfortable.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 pm

triceratop wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:56 pm

As someone who buys used jeans at Goodwill...Why not do both? Donate your jeans to charity and then buy them the next week for $5.
Goodwill has been good to my wardrobe!

FIre Fighter

Post by FIre Fighter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Each fall Costco sells Lucky brand men’s jeans for $30 (sometimes on sale for $24). They are really great jeans for an amazing price. I stock up a few pairs and would highly recommend when they comes round next fall.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 pm

I almost exclusively wear Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean, in their "Tumbled Rigid" color. This is a very dark blue that is more than dressy enough to wear to work at a tech company and, with a nice shirt, good looking enough for many other occasions.

Like all jeans the color does fade over time so I try to go as long as I can without washing them. That said I did see some good tips in this thread for extending their life further.

My experience is that after ~2 years or so they inevitably end up with holes somewhere, at that point I usually keep them for around the house. I buy a couple at a time, they can be reliably found for $40 online.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm
Sounds like a wash sale to me. Maybe wait more than 30 days ....
The kids are all into washed-out jeans these days...
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."