Can't get Quicken 2010 to work on new computer- Help! Alternatives (eg CountAbout), or??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Can't get Quicken 2010 to work on new computer- Help! Alternatives (eg CountAbout), or??

Post by protagonist »

I've nursed my copy of Quicken Premier 2010 (not cloud-based) on all computers since then.....I no longer have an installation disc. But I have used programs to copy all my Quicken and Intuit files onto new computers without a glitch, until now. And I thought this one would be easy, moving between two Lenovo Thinkpads, both running Windows 10 (vintage 2016 Thinkpad 13 to a new 6th Gen. X1 Carbon). I've been fiddling with it for hours....got rid of all the error messages, but now the program just flashes on for a split second, like it wants to open but doesn't. I'm on verge of giving up. I have at least 20 years of financial data on Quicken (backup files on hard drive)....I am considering returning the X1 Carbon and just continuing to use my old laptop, but I know that is probably just postponing the inevitable when it dies.

I could buy the latest version of Quicken (and hopefully import my data), but I don't want to be slave to an annual fee, even when the program deteriorates. I want to either get my version working, or find alternative software that will accept imported Quicken files.

I successfully imported my Quicken data file into a web-based alternative called CountAbout. The problem is that I can import banking files but it does not allow importation of Quicken investment files. Has anybody had experience with CountAbout and if so , what are your thoughts?

Is there any better software out there that will allow importation of Quicken files (preferably INCLUDING investment files)?

Or does anybody have other ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
JI0124

Re: Can't get Quicken 2010 to work on new computer- Help! Alternatives (eg CountAbout), or??

Post by JI0124 »

When we replaced a computer about 18 months ago I called Quicken for help. The new computer didn't have a CD/DVD drive so I couldn't install our Quicken 2013 with the disc that I had. After explaining the situation to the Quicken representative they emailed me the install files and it worked like a charm. You might consider contacting them and explaining the situation. It was a breeze.

Good luck.

Re: Can't get Quicken 2010 to work on new computer- Help! Alternatives (eg CountAbout), or??

Post by 123 »

I'm not sure how it applies to Quicken 2010 but some software products lets you install them on multiple computers but you can only be signed-in to the product on 1 or 2 computers at a time. Lots of time you only do the sign-in when you complete installation on a new computer. These kind of software products keep track of how many "signed-in" installations you have at their own central registry. (I have an Adobe product that works like this.) If it's not letting a new installation work it might only take you "signing out" of the application on one of your older computers, if you still have them around. The "sign out" might just be a drop down option on a menu.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You can still buy Quicken 2017, which is the last version before the subscription model, cheap - $14 or so online - and install that so you will have a fresh install that you can continue to use from this point forward without signing up for the subscription.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JI0124 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:07 pm When we replaced a computer about 18 months ago I called Quicken for help. The new computer didn't have a CD/DVD drive so I couldn't install our Quicken 2013 with the disc that I had. After explaining the situation to the Quicken representative they emailed me the install files and it worked like a charm. You might consider contacting them and explaining the situation. It was a breeze.

Good luck.
Thanks!

I assumed they would not support Quicken 2010 but it is worth a try. If that fails I'll speak with the geeks at the computer repair place in town (nice young guys), and if all fails I may give the new X1 Carbon to my sweetie and stick with what I have.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

123 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 pm I'm not sure how it applies to Quicken 2010 but some software products lets you install them on multiple computers but you can only be signed-in to the product on 1 or 2 computers at a time. Lots of time you only do the sign-in when you complete installation on a new computer. These kind of software products keep track of how many "signed-in" installations you have at their own central registry. (I have an Adobe product that works like this.) If it's not letting a new installation work it might only take you "signing out" of the application on one of your older computers, if you still have them around. The "sign out" might just be a drop down option on a menu.
I never signed up with Intuit, and I have used it on more than one device at a time before, so I don't think that is an issue, but thanks .
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 pm You can still buy Quicken 2017, which is the last version before the subscription model, cheap - $14 or so online - and install that so you will have a fresh install that you can continue to use from this point forward without signing up for the subscription.
Really?? That sounds like the best solution! Do you know where to get it online for near that price? 2017 Deluxe is $89 on Amazon, though if it will last me another 8 years like the 2010 version that would still be worth it. (If you have to google, don't bother....I can do that myself.....) The cheapest version that will allow me to manage my investments will work for me, and I assume I can import .qif files directly from my 2010 version and don't need a subscription?
Toons

Post by Toons »

I would go with a subscription.
It works for me,
You gotta spend it on something,
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I thought Quicken dropped the .QIF format years ago because they could not make it handle transfers correctly. IIRC sometimes it worked but not always.

EZ
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

How did you copy the quicken program over?
You might try using a pc migration tool. The last time I bought a new pc I used this
http://web.laplink.com/product/pcmover-home/#tabs2
You might check out moneydance, I think it imports quicken files.
https://www.doughroller.net/money-manag ... s-quicken/
cjking

Post by cjking »

When (a non-US version of) Quicken stopped working for me under some new release of Windows, I successfully migrated all my data to Moneydance.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

protagonist wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 pm I've nursed my copy of Quicken Premier 2010 (not cloud-based) on all computers since then.....I no longer have an installation disc. But I have used programs to copy all my Quicken and Intuit files onto new computers without a glitch, until now. And I thought this one would be easy, moving between two Lenovo Thinkpads, both running Windows 10 (vintage 2016 Thinkpad 13 to a new 6th Gen. X1 Carbon). I've been fiddling with it for hours....got rid of all the error messages, but now the program just flashes on for a split second, like it wants to open but doesn't. I'm on verge of giving up. I have at least 20 years of financial data on Quicken (backup files on hard drive)....I am considering returning the X1 Carbon and just continuing to use my old laptop, but I know that is probably just postponing the inevitable when it dies.

I could buy the latest version of Quicken (and hopefully import my data), but I don't want to be slave to an annual fee, even when the program deteriorates. I want to either get my version working, or find alternative software that will accept imported Quicken files.

I successfully imported my Quicken data file into a web-based alternative called CountAbout. The problem is that I can import banking files but it does not allow importation of Quicken investment files. Has anybody had experience with CountAbout and if so , what are your thoughts?

Is there any better software out there that will allow importation of Quicken files (preferably INCLUDING investment files)?

Or does anybody have other ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
Not using an installation disc is your problem.

You can't copy files. You must install Quicken.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

cjking wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:28 pm When (a non-US version of) Quicken stopped working for me under some new release of Windows, I successfully migrated all my data to Moneydance.
Before doing any drastic, I would try to install Quicken using Windows 10 compatibility-mode.
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

I was a Quicken user all the way back to the mid 90's but when they chged to there annual fee structure I converted to the FREE software gnuCash available at http://www.gnucash.org/

Its does everything I need and is easy to download and check out.
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)
DorothyB

Post by DorothyB »

I use the sunset version of Microsoft Money - free :) Doesn't download from banks, but I prefer to enter my own transactions.

For budgeting - I do my annual budget in excel, then use the Bills section to put it in MS Money. As long as my cash flow for the year is zero, I'm good :)

I don't use the budget part of the program, but it does have one.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Toons wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:42 pm I would go with a subscription.
It works for me,
A subscription, IMHO, is the worst idea. Not because of the cost, but because it enslaves you to the product, no matter how bad it may get in the future, if you cannot export your files into better software. And I prefer manual entry of data anyway, because it forces me to keep track of my finances and "balance the books"....it really isn't much work. Maybe 15 minutes per month. What they offer online is not worth it (not to mention possible security issues and data mining....)

I have been manually entering data since the 90s....no problems.....
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

EZ James wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:57 pm I thought Quicken dropped the .QIF format years ago because they could not make it handle transfers correctly. IIRC sometimes it worked but not always.

EZ
I have had no problem with ,qif. They did abandon it, but supposedly Qu. 2017 will import them.

And the one alternative I tried, Countabout, ONLY imports .qif files.

Thanks to Kenbat. I purchased a copy of Quicken 2017 Premier, supposedly new in original packing, on ebay for $33 plus $3.50 shipping. Hopefully it will work.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

mhalley wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:59 pm How did you copy the quicken program over?
You might try using a pc migration tool. The last time I bought a new pc I used this
http://web.laplink.com/product/pcmover-home/#tabs2
You might check out moneydance, I think it imports quicken files.
https://www.doughroller.net/money-manag ... s-quicken/
I used Easeus Todo PC Trans. It still didn't work.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

cjking wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:28 pm When (a non-US version of) Quicken stopped working for me under some new release of Windows, I successfully migrated all my data to Moneydance.
Could you also import investment .qif files without losing any data?
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

protagonist wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 pm
EZ James wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:57 pm I thought Quicken dropped the .QIF format years ago because they could not make it handle transfers correctly. IIRC sometimes it worked but not always.

EZ
I have had no problem with ,qif. They did abandon it, but my 2010 version uses them, and supposedly Qu. 2017 will import them.

And the one alternative I tried, Countabout, ONLY imports .qif files. But it does not import investment files....only banking files.

Thanks to Kenbat. I purchased a copy of Quicken 2017 Premier, supposedly new in original packing, on ebay for $33 plus $3.50 shipping. Hopefully it will work.
cjking

Post by cjking »

protagonist wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by an "investment .qif" file, as opposed to any other .qif file. I used to track all my finances including investments in Quicken, as far as I remember nothing was lost when I imported the Quicken data from a .qif file.

As I'm not in the US direct importing of transaction data was never available for me, so I used to download bank and credit card transactions in .qif files and import those, I still do that with Moneydance. (European "open banking" should mean I will be able to directly import such data some time soon.)

One thing it lacks at the moment is that there isn't any way to import data from a brokerage account, including dividend payments, so those I have to enter manually. (Edit: I may be misrepresenting the problem. I think the issue was that my Broker does not offer .qif downloads, and I haven't found a way to import the data from a .csv file. I'm going to look at this again now.)

I think it's possible to download and install Moneydance as a trial version, so it should be possible to check that it works satisfactorily, including importing any data, before buying it.
Last edited by cjking on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
cjking

Post by cjking »

One of the the things I like about Moneydance is that every report contains a "copy" button, click on that and then click paste in an Excel window and it pastes all the report data into Excel. So you're not limited by the built-in reporting, you can build any kind of custom report or graph you like in Excel without having to maintain the base data in Excel. One thing I use this for is long-term summaries where I want all the historical data to be adjusted for inflation.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

It will work.

(I did some research, as my Quicken will expire soon. I decided to keep using my 2016 version instead of paying subscription fees. It can import transaction data files from banks. This will eliminate manual entry.)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

acegolfer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 am
It will work.

(I did some research, as my Quicken will expire soon. I decided to keep using my 2016 version instead of paying subscription fees. It can import transaction data files from banks. This will eliminate manual entry.)
Yes, agree, think you should be good for awhile with that.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

acegolfer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 am
It will work.

Not sure where you are reading this, but after April 30th 2019 you will NOT be able to goto your bank and import transactions.

From Quicken:

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com
Live Support
Software patches and updates

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Toons

Post by Toons »

protagonist wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 pm
Toons wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:42 pm I would go with a subscription.
It works for me,
A subscription, IMHO, is the worst idea. Not because of the cost, but because it enslaves you to the product, no matter how bad it may get in the future, if you cannot export your files into better software. And I prefer manual entry of data anyway, because it forces me to keep track of my finances and "balance the books"....it really isn't much work. Maybe 15 minutes per month. What they offer online is not worth it (not to mention possible security issues and data mining....)

I have been manually entering data since the 90s....no problems.....
Sounds like you know what is right for you
:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:04 pm Not sure where you are reading this, but after April 30th 2019 you will NOT be able to goto your bank and import transactions.

From Quicken:

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com
Live Support
Software patches and updates

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy
@SimonJester

Quicken provides 3 years of automatic downloads etc with their PC release. The OP's Quicken 2017 is good for autoupdate till Apr 30, 2020.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:04 pm
Not sure where you are reading this, but after April 30th 2019 you will NOT be able to goto your bank and import transactions.
To be clear, I won't need auto update feature after 4/30/2019. I'll import manually downloaded bank files. IIRC, I tested this last year and it worked.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

cjking wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 am One of the the things I like about Moneydance is that every report contains a "copy" button, click on that and then click paste in an Excel window and it pastes all the report data into Excel. So you're not limited by the built-in reporting, you can build any kind of custom report or graph you like in Excel without having to maintain the base data in Excel. One thing I use this for is long-term summaries where I want all the historical data to be adjusted for inflation.
Another thing I like about Moneydance (other than running on Linux :wink:) is that you can extend its features though Python extensions.

See: Moneydance Extensions

I highly recommend the "Find and Replace" extension. You can find and replace nearly anything across any account.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

cjking wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:46 am
protagonist wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by an "investment .qif" file, as opposed to any other .qif file. I used to track all my finances including investments in Quicken, as far as I remember nothing was lost when I imported the Quicken data from a .qif file.

As I'm not in the US direct importing of transaction data was never available for me, so I used to download bank and credit card transactions in .qif files and import those, I still do that with Moneydance. (European "open banking" should mean I will be able to directly import such data some time soon.)

One thing it lacks at the moment is that there isn't any way to import data from a brokerage account, including dividend payments, so those I have to enter manually. (Edit: I may be misrepresenting the problem. I think the issue was that my Broker does not offer .qif downloads, and I haven't found a way to import the data from a .csv file. I'm going to look at this again now.)

I think it's possible to download and install Moneydance as a trial version, so it should be possible to check that it works satisfactorily, including importing any data, before buying it.
I'm sorry, cj. I was unclear. I didn't mean to say "investment file". With Countabout I could import a .qif file from my Quicken 2010 software which contains all my transactions since I started using Quicken in the 1990s, but it ONLY imports banking data, NOT "investment" data (eg: stocks, mutual funds, etc.).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

If just copying the program files works you have been very lucky. Usually it won't.

You could try some different choices under the "compatibility" tab. Chances are small.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

DorothyB wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:41 pm I use the sunset version of Microsoft Money - free :) Doesn't download from banks, but I prefer to enter my own transactions.

For budgeting - I do my annual budget in excel, then use the Bills section to put it in MS Money. As long as my cash flow for the year is zero, I'm good :)

I don't use the budget part of the program, but it does have one.
+1
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Follow-up:

1. I bought a new (supposedly) copy of Quicken 2017 Premier on eBay- cost with shipping $36.50. Came in original sealed package.
2. New program loaded properly- for all the data they wanted to mine I used a dummy email and fake demographics.
3. Successfully imported my latest .qdf backup file (from my previously used Quicken 2010 on other computer). Opened properly. Everything seems to work.
4. I intend to manually load data for as long as I can. The interface is almost identical to the Quicken 2010 interface.

Thanks for all of your help! And to think I wasted all those hours trying to get my old program to work.....