Costco Tire Quality Seconds/Blems??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TLC1957

Costco Tire Quality Seconds/Blems??

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm

I purchased 4 Michelin Defender tires for my 2017 CRV from Costco a few days ago and have a problem with them being very noisy, actually more than the original tires that came with the CRV when new. I did a post on another web site regarding the noise and one of the comments is noted below. Have you ever heard of Costco tires being blems or second grade quality? I have a 30 day return guarantee so I need to do something soon. I went to Costco and the manger said he never heard of a noise problem with the tire and suggested I drive them for a week and see if the quiet down. I contacted Michelin and they said the same thing. Consumer Reports indicates the have very low road noise actually they have them at ++ rating. Wondering if I have a bad tire or just my luck :oops:

“Just so you know, the Michelins you buy at Costco, Walmart, Sam's are not the same tire that you get from a tire dlr or your local Honda dlr. Most often they are blems or second grade quality. May be fine but thought you should know.”

RickBoglehead

Re: Costco Tire Quality Seconds/Blems??

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Totally BS info.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

msi

Post by msi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Alignment issue?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 pm

I’m waiting for Costco to have sale on Michelin brand to get 4 new tires. The last set we didn’t have any problem.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:35 pm

I have Michelin defenders purchased from costco on my Toyota camry, honda civic and Subaru outback. The ones on the Subaru were purchased 3 months ago. No problems with noise on any of the cars.
Wiki

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:14 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 pm
Totally BS info.
100% agree. Some businesses will say negative things about Costco because they are frustrated by the difficulty of competing with Costco.

I became familiar with Costco's internal processes including procurement in my previous work life. Costco sources and distributes first quality tires from Michelin. Not sure about Walmart. Walmart (and some other big tire sellers) do have manufactures build some retailer specific tires that may be different in quality from other tires made by same company but those tires would have a different model name.

In other words a Michelin Defender model tire is not going to be some different spec tire based on where you buy it. A different spec tire would have a different model name.

There are retailers that sells seconds from various manufacturers. Not sure Michelin sells its seconds. Tires that are distributed and sold as blems or seconds are marked as such by the manufacturer.

It is possible to get a defective set of tires. If they are making excessive noise after about 200 miles go back to Costco and insist that they change them out. If the new set make same noise it may be that the specific tire model is somehow incompatible with your car. It does happen - maybe the tire's weight distribution and the tire's natural vibration set up a resonance circuit with your suspension/brakes/chassis/etc. Try a different Michelin model or maybe Bridgestone, PIrellis, Continental, or Dunlops. Avoid brand x/no name/bargain brand Chinese tires like the plague.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:17 am

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Totally BS info.
+2

Totally agree. This is consistent with other products that one finds at Costco?
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:20 am

Son has the same tire on his 05 Accord. No issues. Costco doesn't sell 2nds on tires. Not sure what your issue may be, try a second set or have tire mgr test drive car with you in it.

Vsabre

Post by Vsabre » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 am

Was the speed rating exactly the same that you had on your original tires? I just replaced my original Acura TLX tires ( not at Costco) with H rated tires which is a more smooth highway type of ride and how I use my car mostly. Originals were V rated for more sporty use and work well for higher speed cornering. V rated definitely have a stiffer feel in the ride......
I've purchased at Costco in the past with no issues at all, just not this time around...

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:05 am

Check for a pebble or an object in one of the tire’s treads, I had that happen and it drove me crazy before finding it. Costco Michelin Defender tires on my Forester are smooth and quiet.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:09 am

I agree that the seconds/blems argument is nonsense.

I noticed increased road noise immediately after buying Michelin Premiers for my Accord. It went away after a while. I don't know if the noise decreased or I just got used to it. :)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

Complete BS.

Your OEM tires, however, were designed to sell the vehicle and not last. You may have difficulty replicating the noise level of those tires. CRVs have a lot of road noise to begin with.

JT

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 am

My first thought is "Why does a 2017 vehicle need new tires already?".
I had some tires i bought at Costco that were very noisy and they took them back after a year and they prorated the price on new tires. I thought that was very fair.
I bought my last set of Michelins at Discount Tire. They beat Costco's price ($70 off a set of 4 and $0.01/tire mounting). I just got tired (no pun intended) of the long waits for installs and rotate/balance.

Cody

Post by Cody » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:48 am

Just an aside. Discount Tires will match any Costoco sales. Much closer to us and no waiting if you set up an appointment.

Cody

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:18 am

The tire manufacturers would view costco as one of their top customers / supply chains. It does not make sense that they would setup a top customer with second rate products.

Likewise costco wants to sell a lot of tires and not do a lot of follow up with customers. It makes no sense they would be interested in this type of product as well.

Topic Author
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:45 am

Folks thanks for the posts on my tire problem very much appreciated. The oem tires did not wear well (known problem reading posts on a CRV forum) and got louder so I decided to buy new tires since I have a 6000 road trip planned for January. So I do my research looking for a Michelin tire (I have had used them in the past and have them on the wife’s car) that is highly rated and quiet and keeping an eye for a Costco sale. The tires were installed and as I was driving above 25mph I start to hear the tire noise, get onto the highway and do 70mph worse then the tires I just replaced. Being a boglehead I went to Costco in DE about a 35min ride to save $70 on the sales tax and other fees. I have a Costco 20 min away in Pa which I visited and spoke to the manager.

I have Michelin Premier A/S tires on my wife’s Accord and like them however the Defender got a higher rating for noise meaning they were quieter by Consumer Reports. When the Costco manager asked what tire I want to replace the Defender with I told him the Premier he said the tires do not wear well and have a lot of problems! So I asked of all the tires you sell which tire do you recommend.... he says the Defender !!!

So do I see if they will put another set of Defender’s on or get the Premier since I have no problems with the tires? I will have a 4 wheel alignment done regardless.

Thanks again for the responses.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:21 am

About 5,000 miles ago we had new Michelin Defenders installed on our Mazda 3. These replaced a worn set of Michelin Premiers. Both sets were purchased at Costco. The new Defenders are notably quieter than the Premiers ever were. And sometimes new tires seem to quiet down after they are broken in.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:45 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Totally BS info.
Agree, it is BS.

Can you imagine Costco's liability exposure if it were true? It is nonsense.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 pm

The nice thing about buying tires from Costco is if there is a problem they will fix it for free. My daughter is not a Costco member, we bought her car new tires, she complained the pressure is low, she bought her car to Costco and they fixed it for her. I believe they did rotate her tires for her while she’s there too.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 pm

I don't know if it would make any difference with the noise level but it certainly wouldn't hurt to check the pressure. When Costco installed the Defender's on my pickup last year I requested 60 in the front and 50 in the rears. Checking the tires cold a few days later they were all filled to 80psi. It made a noticeable improvement in the ride quality by lowering the pressure.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:03 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 pm
The nice thing about buying tires from Costco is if there is a problem they will fix it for free. My daughter is not a Costco member, we bought her car new tires, she complained the pressure is low, she bought her car to Costco and they fixed it for her. I believe they did rotate her tires for her while she’s there too.
Any tire shop on the planet will check tire pressure for free, regardless of if you purchased the tires there.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:03 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 pm
Any tire shop on the planet will check tire pressure for free, regardless of if you purchased the tires there.
Good to know. She doesn’t know where to go and we suggested Costco. I’m not sure Costco fix punctured tire for free either. But I will try next time.

Topic Author
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:17 pm

GW208 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 pm
I don't know if it would make any difference with the noise level but it certainly wouldn't hurt to check the pressure. When Costco installed the Defender's on my pickup last year I requested 60 in the front and 50 in the rears. Checking the tires cold a few days later they were all filled to 80psi. It made a noticeable improvement in the ride quality by lowering the pressure.
First thing I did was check tire psi all met the driver door data plate for tire pressure.

Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:29 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm
I purchased 4 Michelin Defender tires for my 2017 CRV from Costco a few days ago and have a problem with them being very noisy, actually more than the original tires that came with the CRV when new. I did a post on another web site regarding the noise and one of the comments is noted below. Have you ever heard of Costco tires being blems or second grade quality? I have a 30 day return guarantee so I need to do something soon. I went to Costco and the manger said he never heard of a noise problem with the tire and suggested I drive them for a week and see if the quiet down. I contacted Michelin and they said the same thing. Consumer Reports indicates the have very low road noise actually they have them at ++ rating. Wondering if I have a bad tire or just my luck :oops:

“Just so you know, the Michelins you buy at Costco, Walmart, Sam's are not the same tire that you get from a tire dlr or your local Honda dlr. Most often they are blems or second grade quality. May be fine but thought you should know.”
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

strafe

Post by strafe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Sometimes chains like Costco or Discount Tire sell special variants of a tire at a lower price point. For example Costco used to sell the Michelin Defender XT instead of the standard Defender sold everywhere else. The difference was that the XT had a less complex tread pattern.

Discount Tire has done something similar with Continental. For example, the ControlContact Touring A/S is similar to the PureContact and the ControlContact Sport is similar to the old ExtremeContact DWS.

I think the main purpose is to create artificial differentiation in the market to help retailers avoid price matching. But differences in tread patterns could affect noise or foul weather traction.

As long as you’re comparing apples to apples with the same model they should be the same quality as anywhere else.

Topic Author
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:57 pm

FYI

So I reached out to Michelin tires via a chat feature and they have confirmed what was said by folks here regarding the quality of the tires at Costco vs my local tire dealer.

Thanks again for those who took time to reply.

Visitor
Are Costco tires different then tires I can buy from my local tire dealer? Specially the Defender T/H?

09:37pm

Agent - Amanda
Hello, I will be happy to assist.

09:38pm

Agent - Amanda
No, all tires are shipped the same. No tire dealer or club wholesaler would have different quality tires.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I would find it highly improbably that manufacturers can generate enough 2nd rate or blemished tires to offload to Costco.

The value of Costco is that you're buying mainline items at wholesale prices (hopefully). The cost for me to get tires or fuel there is the time it takes to get there and wait in line for that discount. If it's a slow weekend or I am off on a weekday that's an easy cost.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Plus Costco would rename it Kirkland tire if they do make it especially for Costco.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm

msi wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm
Alignment issue?
This, or a mis-balanced tire. Maybe see if they’ll check the balance and give you a discounted alignment.

Tetramolta

Post by Tetramolta » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Check the tire PSI perhaps? That can make a large difference in terms of ride comfort and at least some difference in terms of noise. Mechanics routinely over-inflate tires.

JimMolony

Post by JimMolony » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Bought Costco Michelin Defenders for my wife's 2011 CRV. No loud road noise and no issues.