What to do with strange USPS Priority Mail

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EZ James

What to do with strange USPS Priority Mail

Post by EZ James »

Somebody invested $6.70 to mail this to my house but with no recipient named. The sender is also not identified but there is a return address scrawled by pen. The mailing is trackable and insured.

Google maps initially showed the address to be a playground which just happened to be near UW, and I did live at UW there 54 years ago. Another try with Google said they could not identify the address.

It occured to me that someone, perhaps a bill collector was on a fishing expedition of some kind but I have no debts of any kind. Years ago I did receive those kind of bills mistakenly sent to my house but to another person.

If it was UW soliciting money I would think they would at least include my name in the mailing.

My thought is to write "refused" and dump it a mail drop. Is there any risk in that?

If it contains a summons, would this form of delivery pass as proof-of-service? If so, I'd want to open it.

Because I am elderly, I might also be a target for a hot deal on a reverse mortgage or a notification of a sweepstakes winning etc.

Thanks for any wisdom on this you may offer.

EZ
Watty

Re: What to do with strange USPS Priority Mail

Post by Watty »

EZ James wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:45 am Because I am elderly,.....

I would open it up to see what it is inside it. I would suspect that it is a Christmas gift from someone that is also elderly who did not address it well.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I doubt if it's a gift. Feels like several pages of 8.5x11 paper folded double.

EZ
jminv

Post by jminv »

I would open it and see what is inside. It's already delivered from the point of view of postal service tracking. No point in not opening, really.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I will open it tomorrow unless someone gives a good reason not to. Or maybe I should have my sidekick to that in case it's laced with anthrax. (J/K)

EZ
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

Could be part of a scam where someone ordered something, and an empty envelope was shipped to your address for USPS tracking number, your address was used randomly. Have had it happen to me from something I’ve ordered.

Common with ebay and Amazon third party sellers, a quick search should show you details on how it works.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

As someone else said, if you wanted to duck some sort of legal service, the play here would have been to refuse delivery or somehow be unavailable to receive the package such that the postal service gave up and returned it to sender. Since you already have the package and it's been marked as delivered, there is no downside to opening the package.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It's likely one part of the usual eBay scam to create good reviews. The scammer "sells" stuff on eBay to made up buyers at random addresses. Tracking information is in place and the made up buyer leaves a stellar review. This is quite common in setting up a scam on eBay.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Lawsuit? Debt collection letters? Christmas card with cash inside? Distant relative's executor of estate notifying you of your vast inheritance?

When do you have to loose by opening it, the main has already been marked as delivered by USPS.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Once I found a lot of personal paperwork by the side of the road while out bike riding. As near as I could tell, someone had it on the top of their car and forgot about it when they drove their car.

I mailed it to them without putting anything on it that would identify me. I know how much a certain corporate lawyer in the neighborhood is paid now.

Maybe the OP dropped some personal papers at the playground?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

I would open it outside and wear clothes you do not need. Maybe even safety glasses in case it is a glitter bomb or stink bomb from someone you offended or as others have said - incorrectly addressed.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I guess one can't be too careful nowadays.

I think the OP should open it because something important might be inside. It is amazing that he even noticed the package did not include his name.

As to Livesoft's comment, I once picked up somebody's tax return on an empty lot after a very windy day. I also mailed the pages to the name on page one of 1040 and omitted the sender name and address.
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

As mentioned in an above response, this is a quite common o/l scam. It's so common it now has a name. It's called "Brushing". You may want to do a Google search for greater details.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I'd ask the police whether it shows evidence of white powder, a small explosive, anything like that. If they say open it, tell them you'd be more comfortable if an officer did so instead.
PJW
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I sent a response a few hours ago but it has not shown for whatever reason so I'll summarize.

I opened it and discovered two empty USPS Priority envelopes so it's likely some kind of a seller scam to generate phony positive reviews on something as several of you mentioned.

Sorry it was so mundane. I did read up on the "brushing" scam and am disappointed that they did not send an actual product as they sometimes do.

EZ