Burned Popcorn Smell - how to eliminate? products recommended?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Burned Popcorn Smell - how to eliminate? products recommended?

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:45 pm

My niece cooked popcorn in the microwave in my mother's RV and she let it remain too long.

The bag and popcorn burned, leaving a strong smell that we have not been able to eliminate - either by cleaning the microwave interior or
ventilation in the RV.

Is there a recommended product or substance that will kill this odor? or at least reduce it?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

bloom2708

Re: Burned Popcorn Smell - how to eliminate? products recommended?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:02 pm

I would start by removing the microwave from the RV. Much of the smell could be in the microwave itself.

With that removed, try an odor bomb or "ozone bomb" and/or ozone generator. These are available from Amazon.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

brandy

Post by brandy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm

When I have smelly foods sometimes a couple of sprays of just plain vinegar into the air removes a lot to ALL offensive odors. Give that a shot! :happy

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Baking Soda or fresh grounded coffee. Put it on a plate and leave it in the room for as long as needed. Helps a lot!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Windex or solution of baking soda and light vinegar. Wipe down all walls. Thoroughly clean microwave. Launder and clean all fabrics. Etc.
Aim for a neutral, clean smell. No fragrances.
Scent Killer Powder to launder fabrics:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
Pet Stain and Odor Remover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A ... UTF8&psc=1
(use sparingly)
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:27 pm

If using an ozone generator, make sure no people are around while it's running. Ozone isn't so good for your lungs.

Baking soda is good for absorbing odors. Even better, try activated carbon. We have a box fan running upstairs with a high end furnace filter and an activated carbon filter taped on it. It does wonders for absorbing cooking smells that escaped the kitchen downstairs, like fried chicken or bacon. < $40 in parts...

instructions posted here:
viewtopic.php?t=203861#p3126137

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:58 am

Was your niece over at our home lately? Because we had the same same. It took a long time (several months) but we put baking soda in the microwave. We put several small cups in to increase surface area. Don't know if that helped or not. Was a pain to have to remove the cups to cook stuff. But since yours is in an RV just close it up and check back later week after next

FreedomHawk

Post by FreedomHawk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:47 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:02 pm
I would start by removing the microwave from the RV. Much of the smell could be in the microwave itself.

With that removed, try an odor bomb or "ozone bomb" and/or ozone generator. These are available from Amazon.
+1 on the ozone generator.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 am

Ozium spray or gel. I buy them at various drug stores, car washes and auto parts stores. Or order them from Walmart.

They make a variety of scented products, but all I've ever used is the original Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer. It doesn't just mask the odor.

(widely used I'm told by undertakers and dope smokers... :happy )

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 am

It's mostly been mentioned above in posts, but here are some thoughts -
- Coffee
- Baking soda
- Anything activated charcoal (they make air purfiers just based on this btw)
- Vinegar spray & wipe-downs etc - can even do some sort of carpet cleaning & mopping with it
- My wife has nuked a container of vinegar in our microwave before such that it starts putting off lots of vinegar steam inside the microwave - she then wipes it down (the steam will get it into more locations than a spray will) - no idea past that she's done it and says it works well
- There's ozone solutions like others mentioned - lots of potential options, up to spending almost $1k on special air purifiers.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:26 am

+1 for baking soda but don’t put it in a cup in the microwave, that will take way too long. Sprinkle a very thick layer of it over the whole bottom surface of the oven and let it sit for a few days. Then vacuum it out.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Mr clean is good at removing odors. That was ultimately what I used to remove spoiled fresh fish smell from my trunk. It will smell like Mr clean for a few days but that will pass.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 am

Try Febreze, both the spray and the auto air freshener product, it was a product specifically designed to remove odors before they added the scent to it for better marketing.
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:29 am

Bruce wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 am
Try Febreze, both the spray and the auto air freshener product, it was a product specifically designed to remove odors before they added the scent to it for better marketing.
Ugh. Enterprise uses this in its cars in my area. The whole car reeks and so does the driver and his or her clothes and hair. Drive in one of these cars and you have to wash the Febreze smell out of everything.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:53 am

"Enterprise uses this in its cars in my area."

Thanks, that's something for me to keep in mind. I hate the smell of Febreze. ACHOO. :annoyed

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:54 am

Try mixing a quarter cup of vinegar and .75 cup of water in a microwave safe cup. Microwave it until it boils. Once the microwave has cooled, wipe down the interior with a paper towel.