Anniversary Trip Ideas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Anniversary Trip Ideas

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

We're hoping to do a 5-7 day trip over the winter and will be driving / flying from the east coast. We enjoy warm weather, the beach, swimming, standup paddle boarding, hiking, wine tasting, relaxing. Any recommendations?

bloom2708

Re: Anniversary Trip Ideas

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am

St. John or St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

I wouldn't mind dipping my toes in the blue-blue water of Magan's Bay on St. Thomas this winter.

If budget is open, you will have no trouble finding a warm spot. Grand Cayman if you have a higher budget.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am

Hawaii No Ka Oi :D
Maui (AirBnB/VRBO Makawao/Kula),
Kauai,
Big Island (Hapuna Beach Resort), Lanai (Four Seasons)

Aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

cruzbay

Post by cruzbay » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

You can guess my answer by my screen name likely! St. John USVI is great! We stay at the Grande Bay condos (VRBO) which are right on the edge of Cruz Bay town and totally walkable to bars/restaurants/shops. Also, there are taxis that will take you to the beaches (Trunk, Cinnamon, Jumby, etc.) so no real need for a car unless you wish to venture to the Coral Bay side of the island. Fly into Charlotte Amalie on St Thomas and jump on the ferry to St. John. If you do rent a jeep/car on St. Thomas, stop by the big grocery and stock up before heading over to St. John and you will save money. Cars also available for rent in Cruz Bay.

The other recommendation is The Sands in Providenciales Turks & Caicos. Right on the beautiful beach of Grace Bay in addition to a number of swimming pools. Clean, friendly, not crazy expensive. There was no 'saving beach chairs' action when we've been there. Plenty for all and a huge expanse of beach. What is somewhat expensive is food and drink but some great places. You need a car to get to most spots. There is a restaurant/bar on site but you'll want to venture out.

Both are a relatively quick flight from the east coast. Enjoy!

squirm

Post by squirm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 pm

7-10 days in Hawaii, you won't regret it.

Trism

Post by Trism » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:57 pm

5-7 days.

From the East Coast.

Eliminates Hawaii, unless 24 hours on airplanes/en route in under a week sounds appealing.

Bermuda? My spouse was there for work earlier this year and loved it.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Trism wrote:Bermuda? My spouse was there for work earlier this year and loved it.
In January and February the air and water temperatures are in the 60s and it rains half the time.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks all! I'll put UVI and Turks & Caicos on the short list. I love Hawaii (used to live there) but I agree that it's too far for a < week trip from the East Coast.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Puerto Rico. I don't have a good handle on the exact post-hurricane situation (I imagine San Juan is pretty much back to normal for visitors, other places less so) but my visits before the storm were wonderful.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:44 pm

A few things to consider;

1) Do you have passports? If so be sure to double check the expiration dates. If you will need get them you might have to hurry to take an international trip this winter. I don't know the current status of the USVI, as I recall if you did not have a passport with you then you might need additional paperwork like a birth certificate so it is easier to travel there with a passport even if it is not absolutely required.

2) It has not been getting a lot of press recently but the Zika virus is still a concern if you are planning to have kids.

3) For winter travel direct flights are good since there is less chance that bad weather, anywhere in the country, will cause you to miss a connection.

4) You cannot really count on "warm" in Florida in the winter time so have reasonable expectations if you go there.

As to picking out where to go I would check Google Flights and enter your city and "Caribbean" to see where the most affordable flights are to.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am
St. John or St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

I wouldn't mind dipping my toes in the blue-blue water of Magan's Bay on St. Thomas this winter.

If budget is open, you will have no trouble finding a warm spot. Grand Cayman if you have a higher budget.
Ditto on Magans Bay beach in St Thomas and 7 Mile beach in Grand Cayman. Both are beautiful. Also check out Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic...

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:44 pm
I don't know the current status of the USVI, as I recall if you did not have a passport with you then you might need additional paperwork like a birth certificate so it is easier to travel there with a passport even if it is not absolutely required.
According to smartertravel.com:
Would you like to kick back and relax on a beach in the U.S. Virgin Islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John, without having to obtain a valid U.S. passport first? Good news, you can—U.S. Virgin Islands passport requirements state that as long as you don’t touch down on foreign soil before arriving, you do not need a passport. Since the U.S. Virgin Islands are collectively a U.S. Commonwealth and therefore considered domestic travel for U.S. citizens, it’s easy to take a tropical getaway without having to obtain a new passport for travel to St. Thomas, St. Croix, or St. John.

You may, however, be required to show proof of citizenship when departing the U.S. Virgin Islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and a valid government-issued ID card. Although this does not mean that you need a passport to travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands, you may want to opt for carrying a passport with you anyway—that way, you only need to carry one document versus two.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:21 pm

re Passports: you need to have an expiration date on your passport which is far enough into the future for some countries.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia
Ditto on Costa Rica. We stayed in the Guanacaste region in an all inclusive resort on the Pacific. It was fantastic...

cruzbay

Post by cruzbay » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:57 pm

While you don't need a passport to go to USVI, you will not be able to jump a daytrip to the British Virgin Islands (BVI) without one. These trips are really fun as it is a short boat ride to Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, etc.

On a related note, on certain sides of St. John, your mobile phone may very well switch over to the BVI cellular network so manage your roaming with either a short-term international calling plan or turning off your roaming setting. Talk with your provider. (This may have changed, but worth investigating to save you an unexpected mobile phone charges.)

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am
We're hoping to do a 5-7 day trip over the winter and will be driving / flying from the east coast. We enjoy warm weather, the beach, swimming, standup paddle boarding, hiking, wine tasting, relaxing. Any recommendations?
sounds like California to me.... I am thinking SF with day trip to winery....